***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,528,328 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
McInnis said:

So while we're killing time, how about Tucker's appeal on his triple yesterday? Do appeals like that ever work?

How can there be a fielder's choice when no one else was on base? Could an error be scored? I haven't seen a video of what happened between the RF jogging back to the fence to get the ball and the pitcher catching what looked like a pretty bad relay, or did the RF throw it all the way? All the videos show Tucker rounding third instead of what happened with the ball.
It's a FC if the fielder chooses not to throw home. The SS took the relay and just froze. That's all I got.
Beau Bevers
AG
Bag said:

astroboy said:

I hate that outcome, but it's the way I see the playoffs ending.
tend to agree, Braves look unstoppable

So did we against the WC Nats in 2019.
Mr President Elect
AG
Today feels like a massive reset day. Close losses that we should have had or poor lineups that didn't produce jack... who cares. We got the 2 seed! Sure, the 1 seed and homefield throughout would have been nice, but with the way our boys play on the road, it doesn't really matter. Not to mention, it could still very well turn into homefield throughout depending how the other series play out.
iamtheglove
AgLA06 said:

Beat40 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

So it's a forgone conclusion that Maldy will catch games 1 and 2. Diaz should at least DH one game and let Brantley get the other. When the series shifts on the road, Diaz gets Javier(?) and game 4. That means his bat is in the lineup for 3 of 4 games with a PH opportunity in the other one he doesn't start. This isn't rocket science.

I guess you HAVE to start Dubon in CF for some reason when JV pitches, but I bet the FO says it's Chas. They should as he's completely earned it.
Did you see how the last week's worth of games (the biggest games of the season) went? Who caught almost all of those games?

Maldy has been catching Javier lately too. And if our 4th is Urquidy, Maldy is catching him.

I don't think we're going to see Diaz behind the dish in the postseason. If we see him, it's most likely going to be as a DH or PH.

You just need to set those expectations now and be pleasantly surprised if he catches any games at all.
Diaz DH takes another bat out of the order that needs to be there. The only way to maximize our offense is for him to catch. If not then either Uncle Mike or Abreu have to sit and in return you get an automatic 3-4 outs at the plate and a turnstile from first to second for any baserunner.

Don't have the stats to back it up (someone here does), but I feel like we saw an improved Maldy over the last several weeks. Bat seems better and the last couple games we saw better throws on steal attempts. Not advocating for him but if he's going to play regardless, I'd be happier seeing this level of play throughout the playoffs.
McInnis
AG
So if a runner tries to steal and the catcher doesn't pay attention to him it's ruled fielder's indifference. Can that be applied to other situations?
iamtheglove
Interesting to see that Baltimore with 101 wins had the exact same run differential of 129 as the Astros.
Mathguy64
AG
McInnis said:

So if a runner tries to steal and the catcher doesn't pay attention to him it's ruled fielder's indifference. Can that be applied to other situations?

I kind of think that happened here. Half way from an error to FI. On FI it's not counted as a SB.
Farmer1906
AG
Cobra39
cone said:

Hang it in the Louvre

Awesome pic.

n_touch
McInnis said:

So while we're killing time, how about Tucker's appeal on his triple yesterday? Do appeals like that ever work?

How can there be a fielder's choice when no one else was on base? Could an error be scored? I haven't seen a video of what happened between the RF jogging back to the fence to get the ball and the pitcher catching what looked like a pretty bad relay, or did the RF throw it all the way? All the videos show Tucker rounding third instead of what happened with the ball.
Can't be an error based on the rulebooks according to the crew yesterday on the radio. Should be interesting to see what happens. Would be even more interesting if he has a bonus for 30+ homers. Do the Astros help him get it overturned or not?
FrioAg 00
AG
They f'ing better.

Why would they kept trying to kiss off their best player leading up to his huge contract year?
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch said:

McInnis said:

Can't be an error based on the rulebooks according to the crew yesterday on the radio. Should be interesting to see what happens. Would be even more interesting if he has a bonus for 30+ homers. Do the Astros help him get it overturned or not?
He's still just in his arbitration years so no fun bonuses yet.
Cobra39
All I do is Nguyen said:

Also, here's something to keep you entertained over the coming days. All of our ALDS highlights from 2017 to now:

Thanks for posting.

agproducer
AG
I found this amusing.

W
AG
the final numbers on Jose Abreu per baseball reference...

-0.1 WAR --- almost got into positive territory at the end, but not quite

OPS .680 -- the lowest of his career by more than 100 points

OPS+ 87

his strangest split:

when batting with the bases empty....OPS of .564
when batting with men on base.........OPS of .812
W
AG
Yordan was HBP a career-high 13 times in 2023

was only hit 6 times last year despite 60 more plate appearances in 2022

not a good trend
Prosperdick
AG
A buddy of mine sent me an audio clip of the Mariner broadcasters during the final out yesterday and one of them actually says "Can I be honest? I've never wanted a Mariner pitcher to give up a 2 run home run more in my life."

I'm not sure how to embed the clip and apparently it's on mlb.com but I don't have an account.

What f***ing lunatics. With all the broadcasters who get fired for some pretty tame stuff this is pretty egregious but I'm sure their collection of freak fans were probably thrilled to hear it.
All I do is Nguyen
This warms my heart knowing how much everyone in our own division hates us.
McInnis
AG
n_touch said:

McInnis said:

I guess kind of like an easy pop fly, if it hits a fielder's glove then it's an error. If not it's a hit. Same kind of thing?

Did the SS just assume that Tucker would stop at third? That would be a mental error but I guess they couldn't call it an error so they had to do something else?

And another question - is a run that is scored on fielder's indifference considered an earned run? On a fielder's choice it would be, so I guess Tucker gets an rbi either way?

Baseball really is a whacky game. I've been watching it for over five decades and it still isn't that unusual to see something I've never seen before.
tjack16
AG
Academy has zero merchandise in stores or online for the playoffs.

Last year it was on sale pretty much the minute we clinched. Odd
n_touch
tjack16 said:

Their buyer was not buying anything based on how September was going lol
shano0603
AG
tjack16 said:

It was unlikely we would win the division.

Last year we had the division under wraps with a few weeks to go.
wangus12
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Cx5qJFhgcmW
PhatMack19
AG

McInnis
AG
PhatMack19 said:

So the pitch clock didn't actually ruin the game?

Many predictions of that here during the exhibition season.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
They could raise that another 20% if the games we're actually affordable to go too.
MAROON
AG
might need to wait and see a trend line for pitchers who suffer season ending injuries in 2023 and the next few years as compared to pre-pitch clock era.
FrioAg 00
AG
Pitch clock absolutely improved the game for the majority of fans. I'm just not convinced it belongs in the playoffs.
Bob Lee
AG
We've knocked 8 different American League teams out of the playoffs over a 6 year stretch.

I'm rooting for the Blue Jays and Rangers. That would give us the chance to make it 10 different teams in 7 years, and would leave just 4 AL teams that we've not beaten in the playoffs during this run. The Angels, Royals, Orioles, and Tigers.
Beau Holder
AG
PhatMack19 said:

If they manage to fix the RSN/blackout issue, it will help set the future of this growth in fandom as well. Particularly with the opening up of the "fun" side of the game and the downstream/youth participation impacts of the giant elephant in the room with football.
gambochaman
AG
They just changed tuck's hit to a single and a 3 base error wtaf
PhatMack19
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Pitch clock absolutely improved the game for the majority of fans. I'm just not convinced it belongs in the playoffs.

I wish they would ditch it for the playoffs. The players have adjusted. Playoff baseball is different though. A pitcher or hitter taking a few extra seconds in a big spot, isn't that big of a deal.
BadAggie
AG
rangerfan said:

It ain't far dose durty cheeturs wun duh duhvizion

W
AG
I like adding new franchises to the "victim" list
Wabs
AG
gambochaman said:

They just changed tuck's hit to a single and a 3 base error wtaf
First Page Last Page
Page 2648 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.