***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,529,143 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
carpediem13 said:

I don't believe Sousa is eligible for the postseason roster

That's correct. He is not eligible unfortunately.
carpediem13
AG
Maton and stanek
Cromagnum
AG
So I guess we are all sips now...

Quote:

No reason to indulge them. They're just as classless today as they were in 2019 when they all tossed away their credibility and went to the edges of the earth to justify their cheating after getting caught red handed.

"But but but everyone does it!"

tu gonna tu I guess
cone
AG
I mean if this is what it feels like to be a sip I can't complain
tjack16
AG

Regular season highlights
Kashchei
AG
Cromagnum said:

Quote:

No reason to indulge them. They're just as classless today as they were in 2019 when they all tossed away their credibility and went to the edges of the earth to justify their cheating after getting caught red handed.

tu gonna tu I guess

Still hanging on to "muh trashcans!" At least come up with some new material at this point.
All I do is Nguyen
carpediem13 said:

Maton and stanek

How could I forget them!!
A few changes then:

My playoff roster prediction:
Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Chas
Brantley
Yainer
Abreu
Pena

That's the IDEAL starting lineup

Dubon
Singleton
kaessinger
Maldy
Meyers

Pitchers
JV
Framber
France
Javier
HB
Urquidy
Neris
Montero
Stanek
Abreu
Pressly
Maton

Forget Graveman he hasn't been performing
stoneca
I know y'all are going to say enjoy this before thinking about the playoffs, but who do we want to win the Twins v Bluejays series?
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

Speaking of the Yankees. Is this the first postseason without either the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals this decade?

Feels like at least one of those teams is always in it
I was curious enough to look it up and it took some doing, it's actually been THIRTY YEARS, 1993, since none of them made the playoffs.

Obviously, that doesn't include the strike year of '94.

Since 1990, years WITHOUT the playoffs for those 3 teams are:

Yankees: 1990-1993, 2008, 2013-2014, 2016, 2023

Red Sox: 1991-1993, 1996-1997, 2000-2002, 2006, 2010-2012, 2014-2015, 2019-2020, 2022-2023

Cardinals: 1990-1995, 1997-1999, 2003, 2007-2008, 2010, 2016-2018, 2023.

2023 is the Cardinals first losing record since 2007, and their first time losing 90+ games since 1990. I got my driver's license in 1990.

In the pre-wild card 1993 era, the Cardinals went 87-75 and finished 10 games behind the Phillies in the NL East.

The Yankees were 88-74, 7 games behind Toronto in the AL East, and the Red Sox went 80-82. I'm suddenly very nostalgic for those old division alignments.

tjack16
AG
Crazy. The cardinals (and honestly the Yankees) have been the model for consistency pretty much the 21st century.
Mr President Elect
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

carpediem13 said:

Maton and stanek

How could I forget them!!
A few changes then:

My playoff roster prediction:
Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Chas
Brantley
Yainer
Abreu
Pena

That's the IDEAL starting lineup

Dubon
Singleton
kaessinger
Maldy
Meyers

Pitchers
JV
Framber
France
Javier
HB
Urquidy
Neris
Montero
Stanek
Abreu
Pressly
Maton

Forget Graveman he hasn't been performing

I would imagine we carry Graveman too. I think we leave off Sing or Kess. Possibly leave off both for a third catcher.
Furlock Bones
AG
BadAggie said:

Man, 7 wins to return to the WS.

We don't concern ourselves with appearances anymore. 11 wins to go.
tjack16
AG
stoneca said:

I know y'all are going to say enjoy this before thinking about the playoffs, but who do we want to win the Twins v Bluejays series?

I'd rather face the Twins. But I think we get the blue jays
Mathguy64
AG
I'll go out on a limb and say the FO will carry a 3rd C. And I'll really go out on a limb and say we are going to be very upset when Maldy starts behind the plate.
Furlock Bones
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'll go out on a limb and say the FO will carry a 3rd C. And I'll really go out on a limb and say we are going to be very upset when Maldy starts behind the plate.

He's going to catch JV and Framber for sure. There's a very good chance he catches 75 percent of the games.
Ag_07
AG
We damn well better have a 3rd catcher so Diaz is available to PH for someone late.
htxag09
AG
Cromagnum said:

Quote:

tu gonna tu I guess

I just find it funny the fan base that loves to toss out historical head to head records is calling someone else sips…..
W
AG
tjack16 said:

Speaking of the Yankees. Is this the first postseason without either the Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals this decade?

and along those lines...

it's the Astros, Braves, and Dodgers that are providing the "star power" for TV ratings for the playoffs (plus Bryce Harper)

as a result the wildcard series look a bit underwhelming -- especially compared to last year (Phillies-Cardinals and Padres-Mets)
tjack16
AG
W said:

tjack16 said:

and along those lines...

it's the Astros, Braves, and Dodgers that are providing the "star power" for TV ratings for the playoffs (plus Bryce Harper)

as a result the wildcard series look a bit underwhelming -- especially compared to last year (Phillies-Cardinals and Padres-Mets)

I have a feeling the MLB execs are praying for an Astros vs Dodgers/Braves World Series rematch.

Dodgers vs Astros for the "2017 rematch" storyline. Braves vs Astros for the star power

Not sure if any other potential matchups are rating draws. Maybe LA vs Baltimore?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tjack16 said:

W said:

tjack16 said:

and along those lines...

I have a feeling the MLB execs are praying for an Astros vs Dodgers/Braves World Series rematch.

Dodgers vs Astros for the "2017 rematch" storyline. Braves vs Astros for the star power

Not sure if any other potential matchups are rating draws. Maybe LA vs Baltimore?

Why wouldn't Braves vs Astros be considered a rematch
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

W said:

tjack16 said:

and along those lines...

I bet they would love LA v Baltimore because of the Baltimore/DC market. And an LA v Philly match in the NLCS would make them orgasm
tjack16
AG
They would. That's why I said Dodgers/Braves (the / meant "or" in my head)
All I do is Nguyen
The Braves are so damned stacked I do not wanna see them in the WS should we be fortunate enough to make it that far.

I think if we make it to the ALCS against the orioles that would be a fantastic series
Boiling Denim
Kirby threw a tribute knuckleball for Wakefield today and it's pretty ridiculous.

Ornithopter
AG
Dude is gonna pitch till he's 40 with that in his back pocket
wangus12
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

The Braves are so damned stacked I do not wanna see them in the WS should we be fortunate enough to make it that far.

I think if we make it to the ALCS against the orioles that would be a fantastic series

We swept the Braves in Atlanta with Julks, Meyers and Hensley starting
MelvinUdall
All I do is Nguyen said:

As an Astros fan, I want nothing to do with the Braves.
R-Dog
AG
Nothing wrong with preferring a lesser opponent but we are capable of beating anyone. And losing to anyone.
Furlock Bones
AG
R-Dog said:

Nothing wrong with preferring a lesser opponent but we are capable of beating anyone. And losing to anyone.

I said it around the all star break and I maintain it now. No team in the AL wants to place us.
XXXVII
MelvinUdall said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

As an Astros fan, I want nothing to do with the Braves.

Better than facing KC right?
maca1028
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say no to the braves rematch, too much PTSD from the late 90's and '21.
R-Dog
AG
Furlock Bones said:

R-Dog said:

I said it around the all star break and I maintain it now. No team in the AL wants to place us.

I would agree with that...too much talent and too much experience.
bearkatag15
AG

Hopefully it is changed back to a HR
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Jackal99
AG
DubFalls said:

Dude is gonna pitch till he's 40 with that in his back pocket
6 innings at a time.
RED AG 98
AG
Wow! That is very cool Well done Kirby.
First Page Last Page
Page 2644 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.