***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,534,819 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BTKAG97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
West Roxbury said:

BTKAG97 said:

stoneca said:

I don't understand why we only need 1 more win to clinch. We only have a 1 game lead on Seattle and they hold the tiebreaker.
If Seattle Sweeps, they get the Division and Houston gets a WC.
If Texas wins 1, they get the Division and Houston gets a WC.

If Seattle sweeps and we sweep, it's our division. We hold a one game lead over the M's. They can't catch us unless we lose.
His question was "How do the Astros make the playoffs with only 1 more win?"
Mr President Elect
AG
BadAggie said:

iamtheglove said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

So if the Astros OR the Mariners win tomorrow we have a spot. Correct?

Astros win or Mariners loss.
I don't think that is right. Per the chart if the mariners only win 3 vs Arlington and we only win 1 of 3 vs d backs we're out

Magic number v Seattle is 2. Need an Astro win and a Mariner loss tomorrow to clinch.

If Astros then won on Sunday and Rangers lose then Astros win division.

You are leaving out the Tex side of the equation, we would be tied with them and have h2h over them.
HarryRocket
Tie breakers be hurting the magic number game
iamtheglove
BadAggie said:

iamtheglove said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

I don't think that is right. Per the chart if the mariners only win 3 vs Arlington and we only win 1 of 3 vs d backs we're out

Magic number v Seattle is 2. Need an Astro win and a Mariner loss tomorrow to clinch.

Not per the chart. If we win a total of 2 vs dbacks we are in. There is no scenario we get left out of the payoffs with one more win vs AZ
JDUB08AG
AG
If France comes back does he go Sunday? Or do we stick with CJ?
BadAggie
AG
Aggie8587 said:

BadAggie said:

If Astros their final two games they are in the playoffs.

If Astros go 1-1 they need Seattle to lose a game to make the playoffs.

If Astros go 0-2 they need Seattle to lose their last two games to make the playoffs.

Assuming Arlington loses tonight, if they lose one more and Astros win their final two games then Astros win the division.
This isn't right. If the Astros win one of the final 2 games, we're in the postseason

Astros are 1 game ahead of Seattle who has the tiebreaker. Need more than one more win.
JohnnyTexAg1995
BadAggie said:

iamtheglove said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

wrong, if Astros win tomorrow we are in regardless. Cause if mariners sweep and we go 2-1 they win division and we have tie breaker if we rangers. So don't need them to lose for us to get in. That remains the only scenario that Texas gets left out.

Your error is you keep forgetting if the rangers get swept we move ahead of them with 1 more win cause of the tie breaker
R-Dog
AG
It gets complicated cause it's not just us and Seattle. We lose a head to head tiebreaker with Seattle but adding Texas to the tie is good for us.
Aggie8587
AG
Not correct. You aren't contemplating the Texas piece of the tiebreaker. If we get to 89 wins we can't be left out. If Seattle also got to 89, it would mean they swept Texas and there's a 3-way tie for the division. Texas is left out in that scenario
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Kelly is very good. His change up is one of the toughest pitches in baseball. He has a true 5 pitch mix. We're going to have our hands full. It would have been nice to have AZ clinch already so they'd pull him early. Reds play just 55 min before us.
Would be nice for STL to do the Astros a favor, but I like the Astros in a playoff type game.

If JV pitches like he did his last start, I really like the Astros' chances tomorrow.
Farmer1906
AG
JDUB08AG said:

CJ but it's all hands on deck at that point.
Boiling Denim
How are people still getting playoff scenarios wrong with so much public info readily available

Stop trying to do the math yourselves. The info is out there you're just confusing people
West Roxbury
Got it. Would love to see the Reds lose and have the D-Backs clinch tomorrow.
SW-14
AG
kegstand said:

Updated possibilities matrix assuming Seattle holds tonight

Too much arguing over what could be. Just look at this chart.
CFTXAG10
AG
I've been staring at the Cubs and Marlins so long the Reds creeped up on me. Marlins and Reds have the tiebreaker over the Dbacks. Cubs do not. And the Reds get these last two against 69-91 St. Louis
W
AG
need that twitter guy to update the chart
JDUB08AG
AG
We are 10000% positive a 3 way tie means the rangers are out, correct?
Beat40
JDUB08AG said:

I think that depends on the situation.

if the Astros win tomorrow and the division is on the line Sunday or they lose tomorrow, I'm starting CJ.

If the Astros win tomorrow and the division is not on the line Sunday, I'm starting France.
Wabs
AG
Who's going to start Sunday?
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Who's going to start Sunday?

Dusty won't say but the expectation is Javier.
Big Al 1992
AG
Has JV ever pitched a game to clinch - could be another accomplishment of his in an Astros cap.
R-Dog
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Yes

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share

Scenario: Blue Jays claim 2nd Wild Card; Astros, Mariners, Rangers tie
Result: Mariners and Astros IN; Rangers OUT

If the three AL West clubs finish tied with worse records than the Blue Jays, Toronto would win the second AL Wild Card spot. The tie for the AL West title would be settled first using the same three-team tiebreaker steps mentioned above (Mariners win). The tie between Houston and Texas for the third AL Wild Card spot would go to the Astros, who won their season series against the Rangers, 9-4.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

JDUB08AG said:

CJ but it's all hands on deck at that point.
Just depends on the situation. If we need the win for division or post season spot, CJ starts. If post season is locked and you can't win the division, it's France.
Beau Holder
AG
Such big wins these last two. JV please ice it tomorrow. Then we just see how things play out Sunday.
AggieJ2002
AG
That Moreno ball was out in 28/30 parks ... cant complain though b/c we can say the same (even worse) about Abreu's
iamtheglove
Dusty can't help himself. Twice in postgame comments when asked about Urquidy, credited Maldy for "directing him" and "giving him great targets". C'mon Dusty, stop the goaltending
PhatMack19
AG
I'm too drunk to do math. I'll try again tomorrow. Goodnight
West Roxbury
A win tomorrow (ugly or pretty) and see what happens on Sunday for dessert.
1836er
AG
Good job Stros.

I listened to the last four innings driving home in my truck tonight.

I'll be doing the same tomorrow night.
Mr President Elect
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Depends on what Toronto does. They are odd man out.
jakeaggie84
AG
What team do you personally hate more??

Rangers or mariners?

I kind of shift between the last team we played. I can't stand the mariners especially after beaning our guys so many times last series, but the rangers fans would be brutal if we don't make the playoffs.
JDUB08AG
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Rangers or mariners?

I kind of shift between the last team we played. I can't stand the mariners especially after beaning our guys so many times last series, but the rangers fans would be brutal if we don't make the playoffs.

Seattle. I don't have to think twice.
BTKAG97
AG
R-Dog said:

JDUB08AG said:

Yes

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-postseason-three-team-and-four-team-tiebreaker-scenarios?partnerID=mlbapp-android_article-share

Scenario: Blue Jays claim 2nd Wild Card; Astros, Mariners, Rangers tie
Result: Mariners and Astros IN; Rangers OUT

If the three AL West clubs finish tied with worse records than the Blue Jays, Toronto would win the second AL Wild Card spot. The tie for the AL West title would be settled first using the same three-team tiebreaker steps mentioned above (Mariners win). The tie between Houston and Texas for the third AL Wild Card spot would go to the Astros, who won their season series against the Rangers, 9-4.
Scenario: Rangers win AL West; Astros, Mariners, Blue Jays tie

Result: Mariners and Blue Jays IN; Astros OUT

This scenario can no longer happen. If Texas wins the West then there will NOT be a 3-way tie between Houston, Seattle, and Toronto.
Wabs
AG
Still can't believe that if we sweep and the Mariners sweep, the Mariners are out of the playoffs. Crazy.
Bob Lee
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Rangers or mariners?

I actually don't hate either team. I was trying to figure out which team I'd rather face in the playoffs, and it's got to be the Rangers because of their bullpen.
First Page Last Page
Page 2586 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.