***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,531,535 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mr President Elect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Yoda said:

In a scenario where we actually have all our best hitters in, how would you feel about playing Dubon at SS over Pena? My trust in Doobie coming thru with a big hit is higher these days than with last year's World Series MVP.

Is that crazy?

I would have liked to see it happen earlier in the season, but not down the stretch without seeing him there much this season. Both of those positions can be tough to play and easily lead to runs that his bat probably won't make up. Just having flashbacks to Kessinger (I think it was him) entering the game in extras earlier this season and immediately throwing the game away.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

This article warms my heart. I had no idea Click hired the Stuff+ guy.

That's great. We have very talented nerds. It's a shame they are wasted on a fossil who doesn't know how to plug a computer into the wall socket mush less turn it on and use it.
JDUB08AG
AG
As much as I talk about loathing Arlington, I gotta give them credit for their turnaround this year. I just absolutely hate everything about Seattle and their limpwristed fanbase.

I actually think it would be fun to play the rangers in the playoffs.
redline248
AG
Final series of the season, why not one more stab at an awesome lineup?

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Chas CF
Brantley LF
Abreu 1B
Pena SS
Wabs
AG
redline248 said:

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Chas CF
Brantley LF
Abreu 1B
Pena SS
This is my exact best lineup. Unfortunately it will never happen.
Prosperdick
AG
redline248 said:

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Chas CF
Brantley LF
Abreu 1B
Pena SS
I'd love to see a breakdown of how many times Chas has batted 7th or even freaking 8th in our lineup. He should NEVER bat lower than 6th and ideally he should be 5th based on his numbers. We all know that won't happen and Abreu will be batting 5th because BY GOD he's a veteran and he's "earned it."

I don't watch a lot of professional golf but the one thing I've always respected about that sport is that you have to continually earn it and nothing is given to you. You play like crap the first two days, guess what, you don't get paid squat.
Farmer1906
AG
Chas
1 - 7
2 - 0
3 - 0
4 - 2
5 - 16
6 - 32
7 - 29
8 - 17
9 - 2

Times in the Top 4
Dubon - 65
Pena - 56
Abreu - 54
McCormick - 9
Julks - 4
Diaz - 4
Kessinger - 1
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Times in the Top 4

Kessinger - 1

Lmao
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Times in the Top 4

Kessinger - 1

Lmao

I'm pretty sure he wasn't just top 4 but was lead off.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Times in the Top 4

Kessinger - 1

Lmao
He led off July 22nd vs the As.

Kessinger
Pena
Tucker
Bregman
Abreu
McCormick
Julks
Meyers
Maldonado

We lost 1-4 thanks to not pulling Javier after 5 shutout, Maton not being able to put out the fire, and big Joel Kuhnel pitching the 8th in a 2 run game.

Would have liked to have this one back.
maroonpivo
AG
Would love to see Abreu down a spot or two.
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chas
1 - 7
2 - 0
3 - 0
4 - 2
5 - 16
6 - 32
7 - 29
8 - 17
9 - 2

Times in the Top 4
Dubon - 65
Pena - 56
Abreu - 54
McCormick - 9
Julks - 4
Diaz - 4
Kessinger - 1

So 48 out of the 105 games Chas played he batted 7th or worse. In other words 47% of the time Chas batted in the bottom third of the order, oh and by the way, he didn't even start 34% of the time.

Can someone check my math. If correct, that means Chas has sat out 1 out of every 3 games (yes, he might get a pinch hit opportunity late but he's not starting) and the 2 games of every 3 he's playing almost half the time he's in the bottom third of the order.

Just read that last sentence again. Incredible. This is a guy who at one point had the 11th highest OPS in the majors. F***ING CRIMINAL.
Farmer1906
AG
Wouldn't we all? Abreu has only batted 4th (54), 5th (49), 6th (33), or 7th (2). He was in the 4-hole as recently as the Baltimore series. Don't get your hopes up.

Beat40
Prosperdick said:

redline248 said:

Altuve 2B
Tucker RF
Yordan DH
Bregman 3B
Diaz C
Chas CF
Brantley LF
Abreu 1B
Pena SS
I'd love to see a breakdown of how many times Chas has batted 7th or even freaking 8th in our lineup. He should NEVER bat lower than 6th and ideally he should be 5th based on his numbers. We all know that won't happen and Abreu will be batting 5th because BY GOD he's a veteran and he's "earned it."

I don't watch a lot of professional golf but the one thing I've always respected about that sport is that you have to continually earn it and nothing is given to you. You play like crap the first two days, guess what, you don't get paid squat.
I agree with the earn it idea in baseball, but mostly in playing time. It's way to hard to manage "earn it" line-up spots.

I guess the main question when it comes to the earn it idea is what is the criteria?
Ag_07
AG
Don't suck
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Don't suck
That's a short answer but generally yes, don't suck but also if you are an aging Cuban ballplayer (who might be older than what's listed) and you clearly can't hit like you did before you need to be moved down in the order, at least to 7th.

Now compare this to someone like Bregman, who clearly is having a down year but isn't "old" and has proven he can bounce back. That being said, you can only have so much patience for so long.

When it becomes an egregious situation is when a player SHOULD be batting 7th and is costing a guy who SHOULD be batting at least 5th opportunities to drive in runs and HELP THE TEAM WIN GAMES!
scrimp
AG
Just to play the "what-if" game and crap on Dusty some more, let's go back to June 11th. Astros playing the final game of a 3 game series at Cleveland. Yordan had just gone on the IL. Astros lost the Friday night game in 14 innings. They bounced back to win the second game of the series behind a decent pitching performance from JP France, 6-4. On the Sunday rubber match, Dusty rolls out this lineup:

Dubon-2B
Julks-LF
Breman-3B
Tucker-RF
Abreu-DH
Diaz-1B
Meyers-CF
Kessinger-SS
Salazar-C

Bielak-P

Altuve, McCormick, and Maldanado available to play, but given the day off. [Edit: And Pena!]

Extremely predictably, Astros lose in a shutout, 5-0.

The Astros had an off day the next day.

I accept and understand giving guys days off, but I can't comprehend why you would chose to sit 3 [edit-4!] starters the day before an off day, especially with a call up pitcher on the bump.

No guarantees the results would have been any different with a stronger lineup, but it's tough to look back at that game and wonder how any sane manager could mail in that game with 60% of the season left....

How nice would it be to be 88-71 right now?--1 game out of first, some breathing room for the WC....Maybe all it would have taken was 1 game in the middle of June.
linkdude
AG
I, for one, would love Diaz at 1B (but not so that Abreu could DH)
bearkatag15
AG
linkdude said:

I, for one, would love Diaz at 1B (but not so that Abreu could DH)

Abreu is the better first baseman
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Farmer1906
AG
Trying to find the worst lineup of the season.

Game 4 vs CHW
Pena
Bregman
Tucker
Abreu
Hensley
McCormick
Julks
Dubon
Maldonado

Nope its actually game 24
Dubon
Pena
Tucker
Bregman
Abreu
Julks
Meyers
Hensley
Maldonado
scrimp
AG
The aforementioned game 66 has got to be in the running.....
Farmer1906
AG
The way I look at it we have 6 to 7 good hitters. A lot of games we only chose or were limited to 2 of them.
tjack16
AG
May I also nominate these for worst lineups. Especially given the pitching performance

Farmer1906
AG
Oh that Philly one is baaaad.
W
AG
the Dubon-Pena leadoff lineups were insanely bad
W
AG
Abreu started 54 games in the cleanup spot...and delivered a crisp .614 OPS in the 4-hole

also insanely bad
AggiEE
W said:

the Dubon-Pena leadoff lineups were insanely bad

Everyone on my team gets to bat first or second unless you're banana pudding
spadilly
S
txags11
AG
Oh no..
texasaggie2015
AG
He's pitched in big time games before. Hopefully he finds a way tonight.
txags11
AG
I won't lie, I'm more concerned about why France was scratched
jetch17
AG
Oh lawd
txags11
AG
It also means likely Maldy now catching
texasaggie2015
AG
AgSportsFan89
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm sorry but Urquidy is not Framber or JV. I dgaf who he wants to catch, Diaz needs to start
First Page Last Page
Page 2560 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.