***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,502,169 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BadAggie said:

Wabs said:

Can we request all road games if we make the postseason? I mean would the opponent not agree to that?

They would likely not have home field for any playoff series if they get in.

Oh, I know that. But that wasn't my question,
Sex Panther
AG
DoitBest said:

Where in the H-town has this team been for 2 weeks

In H-town unfortunately
BadAggie
AG
agproducer said:

The boys came to play tonight. Let's keep it going.

And Bregs isn't going to stay cold forever. Watch him finally break out tomorrow night.

Hope you're right, same for Tucker.
Beau Holder
AG
Hey Tuck is cool in my book for tonight after rudely interrupting some Mariners fans trying to enjoy their dinner.
agdaddy04
AG
Think they said her husband is with her.
Big Al 1992
AG
BadAggie
AG
Best road records in MLB

Orioles 52-29
Braves 52-29
Astros 47-29
Dodgers 43-31
Rays 42-34
Reds 42-34

If Astros had same # of home wins as last year they'd be at 102 wins for the season with 5 games left.

But we've seen the Jekyll and Hyde reverse home and road splits this season.

Performance last two years on road:
2021 44-37
2022 51-30

So they've been elite on the road this season with a chance to match the road record of last year's 106 win team which won its 2nd WS title, and a below average MLB team at home with the 20th best home record.

tjack16
AG
That was a great team win. Pitching on point, timely hitting early, and good defense
OKCAg2002
AG
Yeah, that was one of the best wins of the year given the situation. Despite having an atrocious September, this team still controls its own destiny. We need another one tonight. We need good Javier.
BMX Bandit
coffee just hits better morning after dominating those filthy hippies in their house. Again.
Mathguy64
AG
I see not watching because I screwed up the starting time worked. I know what I'm doing tonight.
gambochaman
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I see not watching because I screwed up the starting time worked. I know what I'm doing tonight.

Same
OKCAg2002
AG
You'd think Diaz would catch tonight with Framber pitching on Wednesday. There isn't a defensible reason to have Maldy catch this whole series. Right? Right??
Farmer1906
AG
I am really glad they started caring last night. Think they'll care again today?
Prosperdick
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

You'd think Diaz would catch tonight with Framber pitching on Wednesday. There isn't a defensible reason to have Maldy catch this whole series. Right? Right??
Donkey will donkey and I'm worn out complaining about it. I hope we make the playoffs for obvious reasons but I'm REALLY interested to see what the lineups would look like.

That being said Maldy had a nice double last night so good for him. If he could at least do something similar every other game it would help tremendously. Oh yeah, and at least be average defensively.
tjack16
AG
We will see which Javier we get tonight. I'm just hoping for 5 innings, 2 runs or less. Like his orioles start
McInnis
AG
Anyone else remember the old days when a team's ace was called a stopper? JV reminded us why.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I am really glad they started caring last night. Think they'll care again today?

Let's hope so!

And you can mock the sentiment all you want, but we've heard anecdotal (ta2015) and direct (Chas) evidence that something has been wrong in the clubhouse. You might want to pick another superfan drum to bang...
texasaggie2015
AG
I never said or implied that they don't care.

There's definitely some issues in the clubhouse that will get straightened out over the offseason, but these guys care and they want to win badly.

Baseball is brutal and when things aren't going your way it's hard to snap out of that funk.
BMX Bandit
what are some of the clubhouse issues? understand if you don't want to get too specific and name names, but can you give us some general idea?
FrioAg 00
AG
Today can change everything - need to show killer instinct again
texasaggie2015
AG
A lot of tension between the front office and management that's trickling into the clubhouse. As well as some frustrations with playing time and usage. I've had two veteran names mentioned to me specifically.

I think Crane overall has done a fantastic job as owner. Hell, we've won two titles. He's been incredible. But he absolutely botched this off-season and he will be the first to admit it. Hiring a GM so late in the offseason created a lot of issues.

We're going to see some new names in the coaching staff, front office, as well as the scouting and development departments next season.
MAROON
AG
My thoughts. Some of the players realize Dusty is not playing the best and they're pissed. Sort of like being on a little league team and watching the coach's son get to play SS and bat clean-up when he's not the best option.

A pro version of Daddy ball.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
BTKAG97
AG
Wabs said:

Can we request all road games if we make the postseason? I mean would the opponent not agree to that?
They should swap locker rooms and dugouts when at MMP.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

A lot of tension between the front office and management that's trickling into the clubhouse. As well as some frustrations with playing time and usage. I've had two veteran names mentioned to me specifically.

I think Crane overall has done a fantastic job as owner. Hell, we've won two titles. He's been incredible. But he absolutely botched this off-season and he will be the first to admit it. Hiring a GM so late in the offseason created a lot of issues.

We're going to see some new names in the coaching staff, front office, as well as the scouting and development departments next season.
Dusty is to blame for a majority of this crap, but Crane really did eff up this offseason. Not bringing Click back, not hiring his replacement until way too late, and relying on Bags and others to make decisions.
Farmer1906
AG
Marvin said:

Farmer1906 said:

Let's hope so!

And you can mock the sentiment all you want, but we've heard anecdotal (ta2015) and direct (Chas) evidence that something has been wrong in the clubhouse. You might want to pick another superfan drum to bang...

Not caring and not having a perfect clubhouse is not the same.

They care. They've cared all season. These aren't guys not preparing and working hard to win.
texasaggie2015
AG
Let me clear this up too.

Bagwell was nothing more than advisor. That's it. He had nothing to do with contracts or anything like that.

The groundwork was already laid for the Montero signing before Click left and they had already planned on signing Abreu. Nobody expected the Abreu injury/regression. They expect him to be an .800 OPS guy after taking the winter off to rest and recover his back. I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

I think there's lots of blame to go around. Dusty for sure. Definitely Crane. The players deserve some blame as well. And I also think a lot has to do with bad fortune when it comes to injuries and regression. It takes a lot of good luck to win a championship.. and the Astros have had a lot of it. I hate to admit that it kinda felt like we were due for a few things to go wrong.

That said, let's keep winning and get hot at the right time.
tjack16
AG
I think they've cared all season. But you could also argue there has been a lack of focus and urgency.

Like Framber, Pressly and Hunter Brown letting the little mistakes pile on this year when they didn't do that last year. Or the amount of unearned runs given up by this team to me points to lack of focus at times.

That's why last night was so refreshing. They made the defensive plays that helped them win it all last year. Like that double play against Julio would have been a run last week by them not getting the throw to first in time.
Deluxe
AG
It was nice to have those vintage JV feels back last night. When he takes the ball in a big game and you can just tell he's got it.

He's done it so many times the last six years. We'll always remember the 2017 playoffs and his Cy Youngs, but his biggest contribution to our run (imo) is how reliable he's been as a stopper. Conjuring up a gem to get us back on the right track after a losing streak.

Given his meh playoffs last year, combined with him leaving, combined with his good (but not great) performance since we got him back via trade, it felt like those days are over.

But man, he put us on his back last night. If he found something and can replicate it going forward, I feel much differently about our chances.
CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Let me clear this up too.

Bagwell was nothing more than advisor. That's it. He had nothing to do with contracts or anything like that.

The groundwork was already laid for the Montero signing before Click left and they had already planned on signing Abreu. Nobody expected the Abreu injury/regression. They expect him to be an .800 OPS guy after taking the winter off to rest and recover his back. I'll believe it when I see it I guess.

I think there's lots of blame to go around. Dusty for sure. Definitely Crane. The players deserve some blame as well. And I also think a lot has to do with bad fortune when it comes to injuries and regression. It takes a lot of good luck to win a championship.. and the Astros have had a lot of it. I hate to admit that it kinda felt like we were due for a few things to go wrong.

That said, let's keep winning and get hot at the right time.

And yet, we're still in this thing!
This season has been one disappointment after another paired with frustrating moves/decisions by Dusty almost daily. But here we are in late September with a chance at making another run. That speaks straight to the talent of this team that we've been able to remain at/near the top this entire season with the postseason (hopefully) right around the corner.
Get to the postseason, and EVERY team knows that the AL runs through Houston.
Class of 2010
AustinCountyAg
Unfortunately this it true. The run they have been on won't last forever and playoffs are never guaranteed. Everyone needs to enjoy it while we got it and be thankful. It's dynasty stuff we are witnessing.

The team just needs to nut up and find a way to get in and then anything can happen.
Ag4life80
AG
The season ending injuries to LMJ and Garcia killed the 6 man rotation that was so successful last year. Just look at JV lastnight on 6 days rest. Hunter Brown ran out of gas and I'm afraid France is in the same boat. Javier for sure needs the extra day of rest to get his fastball 'rising'. Just a whole lotta things contributed to the struggle, then mix in Dusty and his defiant arrogance.....and here we are.
n_touch
Ag4life80 said:

The season ending injuries to LMJ and Garcia killed the 6 man rotation that was so successful last year. Just look at JV lastnight on 6 days rest. Hunter Brown ran out of gas and I'm afraid France is in the same boat. Javier for sure needs the extra day of rest to get his fastball 'rising'. Just a whole lotta things contributed to the struggle, then mix in Dusty and his defiant arrogance.....and here we are.
This to me is the biggest concern going into the playoffs. Who pitches? HB and JP are being asked to do things they have never done. I am sure their pitch counts have never been this high.
West Roxbury
Agreed. We will need to get hot at the plate and have a really strong performance from our bullpen.
tjack16
AG
Our playoff rotation if I'm the manager

1. JV
2. Framber
3. Javier
4. Pray that we are up 3-0
5. JV
6. Framber
First Page Last Page
Page 2481 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.