***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,503,190 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now we have to do something we've only done once all year - win 7 in a row.
RED AG 98
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

/laughcry

We are close Dusty. Only one more week until you are put out to pasture and our long misery is over. I hope Dana and the front office get the next hire right and shift back towards a more data driven analytical approach. That's what separated us from the pack and how we got here. Not on feels.
Cromagnum
AG
Marvin
AG
The Beef01 said:

Honestly, getting swept in a must-win situation by a team entering play with 102 losses should get you fired on-the-spot.

Crane is losing money next season if he doesn't give the fans who wasted a bunch this season to be fed s*** at home a little blood. Just fire the guy…nobody is gonna have his back based on performance; every analyst out there has acknowledged that he has been abysmal this season.

Crane cares more about his standing with MLB and other owners than how this miserable season ends. No way he does anything to diminish Dusty's legacy. I expect big fanfare and a retirement party celebrating all that is Dusty Baker.

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Jet Black
Getting rid of Dusty and Maldonado is a start.
redline248
AG
TRM said:

What do you all want to see from Crane this offseason? Admit he was wrong? Nothing?
Just fire Dusty. He doesn't have to say anything
Mathguy64
AG
TRM said:

What do you all want to see from Crane this offseason? Admit he was wrong? Nothing?

I want to see him (and Dana) make the right choice for the next manager.
gambochaman
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Well

Gonna be tough tough with 6 games left
tjack16
AG
39-42 at home but hey we got 3 million fans!
BadAggie
AG
agproducer said:

It's inexcusable to be swept by the Royals at home. In the middle of the pennant race.

This team has too much talent for that to happen.

The players should be embarrassed. I hope they are.

Looks like quite a few are in 1-2-3-Cancun! mode at this point.

Don't really care if anyone gets an extension at this point.

AggieDub04
AG
It will be interesting to see how things go with Dusty. I could see him going on an interview and saying he expects to come back. That's basically what he was politicking for 10 seconds after the World Series ended on live tv. Crane somewhat called his bluff with the one year deal and Dusty forced the issue by accepting it.
DrZ
AG
Dusty has only a one year deal. We talked him into coming back last year. He will not be back. He just wont be "fired" unless it happens in the next 6 days. Thank you see you later
1876er
AG
Dusty isn't getting fired this year. He won a WS last year.
XXXVII
Cromagnum said:

Mattress Mack and Dusty are in on this together, I can feel it.
Cromagnum
AG
1876er said:

You're delusional.
tjack16
AG
Hey getting swept isn't a big deal. It's a long season… once we get healthy we will flip the switch
CoachAg19
AG
I still believe that this team can/will make the playoffs.
We have dug ourselves quite a hole though and have to play every pitch moving forward with a huge sense of urgency in all aspects. The biggest issue with that, is that if we had done that ALL season, we wouldn't be in this situation.
You've found yourself in a position where you have six games left, and you likely have to win 4+ in order to secure a postseason berth.
Starting pitchers HAVE to freaking wake up. We scored 12 runs in three games, our bullpen didn't give up a single run, and we got swept by a 100-loss team. That's embarrassing.
This Seattle series MUST be approached as if the postseason has already started. I'm SO SO SO sick of seeing this "personal catcher" nonsense, and I genuinely don't care one bit what the reasons are. Diaz is CLEARLY the superior player in every physical aspect…discussion over. That being said, I'm almost certain that we're stuck with Maldy the next three games. In the RARE event that we don't, then that right there will tell you that the FO has taken over (and FAR too late). But, if DB has control of it, then we know Maldy is playing. Therefore, here's the lineup, IMO:
Altuve 2B
Bregs 3B
Yordan LF
Tuck RF
Diaz DH
Chas CF
Abreu 1B (MOVE HIM DOWN!!! If anything, you're giving Diaz and Chas more ABs, and they are CLEARLY better hitters right now)
Pena SS
Maldy C

If you're going to change ANYTHING (outside of the obvious of getting Maldy out) then you put Diaz at 1B, getting Abreu out, and that allows Yordan to DH and Dubon can play CF with Chas in LF.

What I am betting we see tomorrow…
Altuve 2B
Bregs 3B
Yordan DH
Tuck RF
Abreu 1B
Chas LF
Dubon CF
Pena SS
Maldy C
…because, you know, it makes TOTAL sense to have your third highest average sitting on the bench when your postseason hopes are on the line.
Class of 2010
BadAggie
AG
They're done this season man. Accept it and make use of the free time this week.
BTKAG97
AG
BTKAG97 said:

Cromagnum said:

Why would ANYONE pay good money to watch us **** the bed at home all year?
The fans may get to see that sweep they wanted.
CoachAg19
AG
Couldn't disagree more. If you want to feel that way though, then go for it.
Class of 2010
AggieDub04
AG
What do you mean talked him into coming back? He said in the post game interview after the World Series he was coming back. We may have talked him into a one year deal but he was set on trying to win another ring.
Big Al 1992
AG
gambochaman said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Well

Gonna be tough tough with 6 games left

Ha! Can't keep up with all the losses. Gotta win 6.
BadAggie
AG
AggieDub04 said:

It will be interesting to see how things go with Dusty. I could see him going on an interview and saying he expects to come back. That's basically what he was politicking for 10 seconds after the World Series ended on live tv. Crane somewhat called his bluff with the one year deal and Dusty forced the issue by accepting it.

Easier to do that when you're coming off a WS Win and not choking away the playoffs by losing to the worst teams in baseball.

Unless Crane is oblivious, Baker is gone.

If Baker isn't gone I suspect a lot of fans will be.
tjack16
AG
The Astros are 100% still in play for the wild card. It just depends on us winning 2/3 in Seattle and the rangers unfortunately dominating Seattle to run away with the division.

Lose the series in Seattle and it's over.
spadilly
S
1876er said:

He won't be offered a new contract, so technically he won't be "fired."
BadAggie
AG
This team look like it's ready to go win anything?
Beau Holder
AG
1876er said:

He was present while a few timely clutch homers from a lineup he didn't set and an all-time, not-replicable pitching performance won the team a WS. He didn't win anything.
tjack16
AG
BadAggie said:

Depends on if the road 2023 Astros show up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
BadAggie said:

Yes - a one month early vacation
spadilly
S
Bring me a Braves/O's WS.
Should be fun to watch.
wangus12
AG
Looking forward to the 30 for 30 on one of the most epic collapses ever. **** Dusty. **** Crane. He'll **** Dana too
BadAggie
AG
spadilly said:

1876er said:

He won't be offered a new contract, so technically he won't be "fired."

Yep. Pretty damning indictment of your leadership that this roster that won a title last year just quits like this.

Not gonna be hard to fire/not bring back Dusty for the Astros.
McInnis
AG
I wonder if we'll ever know what happened? Too much complacency among the players from the last few year's success? Maybe Dusty treating the regular season as if were nothing but a prelude to post-season helped fuel this notion. No way did I ever seen this coming.
AggieDub04
AG
I wasn't meaning to suggest he might be back. What I think will be interesting is to see if Dusty goes quietly into retirement or not. I could see him turning down a retirement announcement and saying he thinks he should be back. If he doesn't come back and the Astros are great next year then all the questions about his managing this year are validated. Questions that he very much bristled at all year.
Beau Holder
AG
There were signs throughout the year, as well as so many blown opportunities to not now be in this position, imo. But it was always "wait til we're healthy" or "long season, there are so many games left"
First Page Last Page
Page 2457 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.