***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,509,589 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

Does 7-5 win the division?

I think so barring a crazy 7-0 run by the rangers against Seattle

Magic number is 12. So if Astros go 7-5 and their opponent loses 5 games then Astros win division.

Given that both Arlington and Seattle have 13 games remaining, one of them has to go 9-4 or better and have the Astros lose at least 5 games to win the division.

Based on recent performance Astros could certainly do that. Frankly it feels like a tall order for any AL West contender to go .500 or better for the rest of the season.

Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

or the Mariners doing the same thing.
AggieDub04
AG
BadAggie said:

tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

Magic number is 12. So if Astros go 7-5 and their opponent loses 5 games then Astros win division.

Given that both Arlington and Seattle have 13 games remaining, one of them has to go 9-4 or better and have the Astros lose at least 5 games to win the division.

Based on recent performance Astros could certainly do that. Frankly it feels like a tall order for any AL West contender to go .500 or better for the rest of the season.

Magic # is 11. Your scenario still plays out though.
BadAggie
AG
Corrections

Magic number for Astros v Rangers is 11 given that Astros hold tiebreaker.

Magic number for Astros v Mariners is 11 given that Astros do not hold tiebreaker.

Farmer1906
AG
AggieDub04 said:

BadAggie said:

tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

9-4 aint gunna cut it if we go 7-5. That means Arlington ties and we have the tiebreaker & Seattle is still a game behind.
BadAggie
AG
AggieDub04 said:

BadAggie said:

tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

Yeah forgot that Astros hold tiebreak over Rangers
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It's funny. The day we hired him my Cubs friend texted me and said "RIP to the Astros" and told me what I would end up hating about him. It was all true.
When we get a new manager, have some injuries, and go 76-86 one year, look back at this post and ask how it feels now.
The Porkchop Express
AG
BadAggie said:

tjack16 said:

HarryRocket said:

12 games left.

The real key is beating Seattle where you double up on your Mariners' magic number in one day.
W
AG
yes, there's a very good chance that the 2nd and 3rd wildcard teams "back in" to the playoffs

all 4 teams have difficult closing schedules

it's likely that none of them "get hot"
linkdude
AG
If the rotations aren't reconfigured, it'd be Castillo-HB and Kirby-Javier next Monday/Tuesday in Seattle
BadAggie
AG
BadAggie said:

Corrections

Magic number for Astros v Rangers is 11 given that Astros hold tiebreaker.

Magic number for Astros v Mariners is 11 given that Astros do not hold tiebreaker.

So if Astros go 7-5 then their opponents need to go 10-3 or better.

If Seattle and Rangers split their 2 remaining series 4-3 that would just about seal the deal assuming the Astros can win 7 of the remaining 12.

Which of course feels rather uncertain these days.
DrZ
AG
Lately nothing goes as anticipated
Therefore playing at home (bad) and playing the team with best record (bad) should be of concern. But……this must mean an Astro sweep. Crazy upside-down world of baseball.
aggielax48
AG
Magic number for a playoff spot is 7, so 7-5 secures a playoff spot at the very least. I bet it wins the division too, I don't think the other teams finish 10-3 down the stretch.
Beau Holder
AG
linkdude said:

If the rotations aren't reconfigured, it'd be Castillo-HB and Kirby-Javier next Monday/Tuesday in Seattle
Prosperdick
AG
I'm just happy that it appears both Texas and Seattle will be playing hard and not completely out of it playing scrubs. That was my fear, mainly for the rangerettes and now I believe it's mathematically impossible for them not to have something to play for in those two series.

Of course if we would have taken care of business versus the scrubs they both would be playing each other for a wildcard spot as we would have had it wrapped up by then.
AggieJ2002
AG
We should be rooting hard for Arizona to fall off the race ... they will be totally deflated that last series if they just got eliminated
linkdude
AG
Doubtful. They just beat the cubs 6/7 times over the last two weekends, they will be in it for the last WC spot just based on that tiebreaker alone.
Farmer1906
AG
How about we just clinch before that series?
linkdude
AG
That's my hope
Mr President Elect
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It's funny. The day we hired him my Cubs friend texted me and said "RIP to the Astros" and told me what I would end up hating about him. It was all true.
When we get a new manager, have some injuries, and go 76-86 one year, look back at this post and ask how it feels now.
So true, Diaz will never get injured under Dusty
agdaddy04
AG
CoachAg19 said:

"What we're doing to Yainer is criminal"

100%. Literally watching an AL ROY award be stolen from him with his lack of PT.

Which costs him money and the Astros a draft pick.
Post removed:
by user
Mr President Elect
AG
Bregxit said:

Has everyone braced themselves for JV to get popped a couple of times tonight?
All complaining aside, I am really hopeful for JV to take it up a notch. He hasn't been horrible, but I am not sure he can be where we need him to be at 94mph. The playoffs will be a lot more fun if we can have two lights out pitchers.
Prosperdick
AG
Bregxit said:

That's impossible, he haz personal catcher and centerfielder!
BadAggie
AG
Hopefully solo shots, limit the damage

Astros need to get back to putting up runs
Ciboag96
Bregxit said:

My body is ready
Mr.Ackar07
agdaddy04 said:

CoachAg19 said:

100%. Literally watching an AL ROY award be stolen from him with his lack of PT.

Diaz doesn't qualify for the draft pick compensation as he wasn't a top 100 prospect on mlb or ESPN's list. He is still getting hosed though.
Mathguy64
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

agdaddy04 said:

CoachAg19 said:

Diaz doesn't qualify for the draft pick compensation as he wasn't a top 100 prospect on mlb or ESPN's list. He is still getting hosed though.

That should mean he's even a bigger deal and be worth 2 draft picks.

Being on an ESPN list is a joke.
W
AG
the Astros need Cy Young JV tonight

not 50-year old JV
BadAggie
Beat40
W said:

the Astros need Cy Young JV tonight

not 50-year old JV
As long as the offense puts up 4 while JV is out there on the mound, I'm ok with him giving up 3. That's all he needs to be tonight -- a guy who gives up 3 or less over 6 innings. That's more realistic to who he currently is until he figures out how he's going to pitch the rest of his career in the offseason.
tjack16
AG
I think 6 innings, 3 runs (2 HR) for JV tonight
Farmer1906
AG
I'm calling CG shutty.
Mathguy64
AG
I want to see him nut up and put his money where his mouth is.
First Page Last Page
Page 2336 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.