***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,505,227 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
DrZ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In Houston things were serious but not hopeless. Now they are hopeless but not serious."
n_touch
BMX Bandit said:

on the batter's eye issue, and sorry if already discussed, why does it not affect the other teams?
Other teams are not playing 81 games against it.
carpediem13
AG

I was excited to see Diaz until I saw the rest
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

AgLA06 said:

Good thing the front office has us covered and knows better.

I don't care if its not the playoffs. This is ridiculous.
The front office cannot do anything. Dusty Baker signed a contract. A part of that contract is that he has final say on the lineup and bullpen usage during the regular season.

This notion that the front office is just asleep at the wheel or not doing anything because they don't feel like it is just false.

Does it suck? Yeah. Drives me insane. But it is what it is.

Maybe I haven't been clear on this in the past.
I don't believe you've stated that. Just that they wait until the playoffs of pull rank when needed. At least that explains things, but I'm not sure it makes it better at this point.
texasaggie2015
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The way it's structured is that Dusty controls the lineups and bullpen usage during the regular season. That's what was agreed upon when he signed his contract. Unfortunately, it won't change this year until the postseason.

From this morning for anyone who missed it.

It's actually very common for this stuff to be laid out in writing when managers sign with teams. A lot of them (especially the ones who have been around for a while) likely won't manage somewhere unless they make the lineups.
BadAggie
AG
Not to defend Dusty but given that a large part of the lineup consists of established and/or higher compensated players, being able to sit or change lineup spots significantly for a player to discipline him is realistically available for McCormick and Diaz. With Peña it's either 2nd or 7 or lower.

Prosperdick
AG
I love how we scored 12 runs in 6 innings with the Lineup Of Death and Donkey was like, oh crap, don't ever do that again.
texasaggie2015
AG
This is maybe the most absurd thing I've ever seen....

Tonight is game 147. This is the 127th different lineup the Astros have used.
W
AG
hopefully that is a fake lineup

Singleton and Meyers?

but, hey, "everybody plays on my team"
Beat40
Prosperdick said:

Satellite of Love said:

The D said:

Listening to 790 and the amount of maldy love from the callers is sickening. The points they are using:

1). The players love maldy
2). He calls the best game in the league
3) best defensive catcher in the league
4 Diaz is rookie
5) catchers aren't supposed to hit anyways
6) the offensive production we get with Diaz is outweighed by the game maldy calls behind the plate.

Can our fans get anymore dumb ? I heard this 4 times in a row

Man our fans are baseball ignorant. They understand that Adley Rutschman was a rookie playing for Baltimore last season and look how he has improved over that time to this year....
Those "fans" would probably say "yeah but Baltimore sucks" not even realizing where they are in the standings because they are LIF's (low information fans).

Of course it seems our FO agrees with the approach, which is frightening. Who knows, maybe there are so many intangibles that Maldy brings that Diaz doesn't. I mean all Diaz brings are home runs and throwing runners out and not allowing any passed balls. Who needs any of that tangible crap.
Why does it have to be said time and time again that the FO does not agree with the lack of playing time Diaz is getting and that, as tx15 has said multiple time, Dusty's contract dictates he has full control over regular season rosters?

It's glaringly obvious the FO wants Diaz playing.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That's fan stuff.
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

AgLA06 said:

The front office cannot do anything. Dusty Baker signed a contract. A part of that contract is that he has final say on the lineup and bullpen usage during the regular season.

This notion that the front office is just asleep at the wheel or not doing anything because they don't feel like it is just false.

I don't believe you've stated that. Just that they wait until the playoffs of pull rank when needed. At least that explains things, but I'm not sure it makes it better at this point.
He's stated it a couple of times the past few days.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Yes he has
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The Porkchop Express
AG
The D said:

Ciboag96 said:

Marvin said:

Everybody ok today?

Waiting on the lineup to determine the level of my tantrum

Jake looks surprised in the picture. As well he should be.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

My God the Rangerette fanboys are fckn off their rocker.

I saw a headline that Max is going for an MRI and I click over on that thread to get some info and insight only to see that all they can talk about is their theory that we're cheating.

But only on the road (too many eyes watching us at home) by hacking pitchcom and batters are getting the info in real time as it's being relayed form catcher to pitcher. And furthermore we didn't start mashing until later in the games because we have to confirm the data we're collecting. AND EVEN FURTHEMORE we didn't hit Hedges like the others because he is a position player and not using pitchcom.

People actually believe this shlt? That's institutionalized level of delusion.

To be fair, most of their guys seem to have moved past the idea of it. Only MrGigem is stupid enough to keep yapping about it.
Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

Prosperdick said:

Satellite of Love said:

The D said:

Listening to 790 and the amount of maldy love from the callers is sickening. The points they are using:

1). The players love maldy
2). He calls the best game in the league
3) best defensive catcher in the league
4 Diaz is rookie
5) catchers aren't supposed to hit anyways
6) the offensive production we get with Diaz is outweighed by the game maldy calls behind the plate.

Can our fans get anymore dumb ? I heard this 4 times in a row

Man our fans are baseball ignorant. They understand that Adley Rutschman was a rookie playing for Baltimore last season and look how he has improved over that time to this year....
Those "fans" would probably say "yeah but Baltimore sucks" not even realizing where they are in the standings because they are LIF's (low information fans).

Of course it seems our FO agrees with the approach, which is frightening. Who knows, maybe there are so many intangibles that Maldy brings that Diaz doesn't. I mean all Diaz brings are home runs and throwing runners out and not allowing any passed balls. Who needs any of that tangible crap.
Why does it have to be said time and time again that the FO does not agree with the lack of playing time Diaz is getting and that, as tx15 has said multiple time, Dusty's contract dictates he has full control over regular season rosters?

It's glaringly obvious the FO wants Diaz playing.
He has? Maybe sit this one out.
Quote:

texasaggie2015 said:
I highly doubt Diaz will catch most of the games. I'll just come out and say it. They want a veteran behind the plate. 1-8 in the order will be deadly and Diaz will be available to come off the bench in a big situation or even start on occasion… but Maldonado will be back there a majority of the time.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not saying I agree or disagree and I'm not defending Dusty like I've been accused of doing so many times lol
ETA - looks like someone beat me to it. It doesn't matter because at this point I'm not sure we'll make the ****ing playoffs with Donkey being the the stubborn ass he always is. I'll be sure to thank him later.
Mathguy64
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

The D said:

Ciboag96 said:

Marvin said:

Everybody ok today?

Jake looks surprised in the picture. As well he should be.
Thats the look Machete had on his face when he went to bat. Surprised and confused.
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Jose Abreu has a .455 lifetime batting average against Blackburn
He is probably due for a bad game against him sometime. Better sit him out…

/Dusty
1836er
AG
AustinCountyAg
We are finally seeing first hand why this MF'r was fired everywhere else he's been manager.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I must say that I am not upset about Singleton being in there for Abreu.

Now that we know about his back I have been watching his swings game to game when he is more arms vs. proper full body motion. It is pretty clear day to day how his back is faring.

In the first two games of the series I saw arm swings again, so it is probably a good idea to get him a double-day rest.
Prosperdick
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

We are finally seeing first hand why this MF'r was fired everywhere else he's been manager.
We've been seeing it all year...the success of Diaz and Chas are really driving the point home loud and clear.
spadilly
S
what are we doing here, dusty?

not even my lucky Astros Hawaiian shirt can overcome this mess.
BadAggie
AG
We're gonna be sweating something (division title or just making the playoffs) in that final series vs Arizona, when it could've been used for all the rest days Dusty wanted to hand out.

Just seems inevitable this is going down to the wire.

Team had an opportunity to start running away with the division with this As series and they completely squandered it. That was a total team accomplishment.

gambochaman
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm going to launch myself into the sun

OF COURSE YOU ARE

AND IM COMING WITH YOU
BayAg_14
I would say it's the ****ing A's and any lineup we put out should win, but the last two nights have proven me wrong. Lineup of death or bust Donkey.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

AgLA06 said:

I just think it's hilarious he couldn't get that contractual guarantee for the playoffs.

Because everyone knows he combines having no real clue what he's doing with the most ardent belief that he knows better than everyone. Literally needs his hand held when it counts. Maybe the Giants, Cubs, Reds, and Nats should've figured that out sooner.
Mathguy64
AG
Dusty, I cant keep posting lucky tits to cover for you game after game after game. Sooner or later you are going to run the magic out of those hangers.
BadAggie
AG
TIL HIS FAT A$$ GETS SPLINTERS

AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

The way it's structured is that Dusty controls the lineups and bullpen usage during the regular season. That's what was agreed upon when he signed his contract. Unfortunately, it won't change this year until the postseason.

From this morning for anyone who missed it.

It's actually very common for this stuff to be laid out in writing when managers sign with teams. A lot of them (especially the ones who have been around for a while) likely won't manage somewhere unless they make the lineups.
Sorry. I haven't been on the thread much the last 2 days.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Anyone else brushing up the ignore list before playoffs get started? Always good to stay on top of it
Ciboag96
The D said:

Ciboag96 said:

Marvin said:

Everybody ok today?

All I do is Nguyen
Mathguy64 said:

Dusty, I cant keep posting lucky tits to cover for you game after game after game. Sooner or later you are going to run the magic out of those hangers.

Sure you can. In fact I think you're not trying hard enough
Beau Holder
AG
Castillo on the mound for the M's today.
First Page Last Page
Page 2276 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.