***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,509,574 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
07ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

Guy must be really highly thought of to have that position for a NY franchise at age 38
yanks hired cashman as gm when he was 31
https://ts.la/eric59704
mwm
Will someone remind me, please, of when I need to send Dusty a thank you note? Thanks in advance.
gambochaman
AG
07ag said:

gougler08 said:

Guy must be really highly thought of to have that position for a NY franchise at age 38
yanks hired cashman as gm when he was 31

The gift that keeps on giving
Ciboag96
gougler08 said:

Harvard grad. Best institution for brilliant baseball strategists. Duh.
Faustus
SIAP.

Yankee's rook Jasson Dominguez has a torn UCL.

According to their reddit thread that's third Tommy John needed for a position player since 2019.

The thread has plenty of bleak humor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYYankees/comments/16fcp4c/goodman_jasson_dominguez_has_a_torn_ucl_aaron/
Farmer1906
AG
Ciboag96 said:

gougler08 said:

He learned under the best in Houston.
texasaggie2015
AG
Stearns is extremely well respected dating back to his time as assistant GM under Luhnow with the Astros.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dammit Farmer you beat me this time
bearkatag15
AG
Really nice throw by Verdugo to keep the runner at 3rd
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
AgLA06
AG
gougler08 said:

He was the youngest GM in baseball history
rausr
AG
Ciboag96 said:

gougler08 said:

Farmer1906
AG

Pitching prospect to watch.
Mr.Ackar07
Farmer1906 said:

Pitching prospect to watch.
I thought we were out of prospects
texasaggie2015
AG
I think the problem with the farm system (and this is what I've been told by both of my people) is that we have a lot of prospects who have high floors but low ceilings. I think JP France is a good example of this. Will Wagner, Colton Gordon, Joey Loperfido and a few others come to mind. They'll likely contribute in the big leagues but they project to be average major leaguers.

It's important to have those guys. But you also need star talent.

Dana Brown put a lot of emphasis on high ceilings in this past year's draft. Brice Matthews is a prime example of this. He's very raw and has tremendous upside, but he also has bust potential. Same with most of the other picks. Cam Fisher comes to mind.

You won't hit on all of them. But if you hit on a couple.. there you go. There's your next franchise cornerstones.

It makes sense why the Astros focused on high floors in recent years with guys like Altuve, Bregman and Tucker locked in for a while. Now that these guys are getting older and/or coming up on free agency, it's time to switch gears and focus on higher ceilings.

That's one of the reasons (the main reason actually) Crane decided to hire Brown. He's one of, if not the best draft evaluator in baseball. Brown will play a huge role in making additions to the scouting and player development departments this offseason as well.
KC_Ag14
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I think the reaction was more so the Mets hiring a President of Baseball Ops. They've never had one before.

It was pretty expected (at least in the baseball front office circle) that he would go to New York.

Jim Crane currently acts as the President of Baseball Ops for Houston. That's obviously not his title, but he sort of serves that role already. He eventually wants to hire someone- but I don't think he's in a rush. He wanted Stearns badly but now I expect him to wait for the right candidate to pop up.
I feel like the job descriptions for these types of roles are different within every organization. On the whole, I'm pretty sure the GM reports to the President of Baseball Ops, with the President having final saying on roster building and maneuvering. Is this the feel you get for that dynamic in Houston? Is it really that valuable to have both roles? I really like Dana and his track record, and am a little hesitant to get behind the idea of bringing in someone new to be his "boss" and then them not see eye-to-eye on things.
texasaggie2015
AG
And that's why I don't think Crane will be in a rush now that he missed out on his first target. He'll wait for the perfect guy. I admittedly can't speak to how the dynamics would work in the Houston organization.
W
AG
and of course there are Bagwell and Reggie

where are they on the org chart so to speak?

a potential president of baseball operations...would like clarification
texasaggie2015
AG
The best way to describe their roles is just advisors. A common misconception is that Bagwell played a big role in the signings this off-season. Crane ran the signings by him and he gave his two cents. That's about all the input he had as far as I know.

Both Crane and Bagwell wanted Abreu. I think most everyone did. The Montero signing was something Crane wanted Click to do before he left.. so that was just about done already. I'm not sure about Brantley.

But I saw a lot of folks putting blame on Bagwell when those signings didn't look great... the reality is he didn't have much of a role in them.
MAROON
AG
JV's personal CF with another start. Amazing - he won't' start a game in the playoffs but will start every regular season game JV pitches. It's just incredible.
spadilly
S

OKCAg2002
AG
We all suspected that Diaz would play less when Brantley came back. Regardless, it is still frustrating.
mAgnoliAg
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Prosperdick said:

agdaddy04 said:

I'd imagine Brantley is off tonight, so Chaz in OF and Diaz DH.

Yup, lefty throwing for the A's so you're right, no Brantley. However, we all know Diaz can't hit lefties (it's science) so Dubon in centerfield and Chas DH batting 7th (again, this is 11th best OPS in the majors anchoring the bottom of the lineup).

This will be Donkey's lineup, I guarantee it:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon
Fat ass strike out machine

Yordan DH and chas in left. Otherwise you are exactly right. I've gotten to where I can accurately predict Dusty's lineups 90% of the time. Now saying that out loud sounds so sad

Claro que si
Beau Holder
AG
MAROON said:

JV's personal CF with another start. Amazing - he won't' start a game in the playoffs but will start every regular season game JV pitches. It's just incredible.

Pretty clear at this point that's only because the playoffs are when the real minds in the room finally choose to exercise some oversight over Dusty's "wishing, wanting, and hoping" approach to managing.
Mr President Elect
AG
Like I mentioned earlier, Dusty doing his part to make September interesting.
Farmer1906
AG
OKCAg2002 said:

We all suspected that Diaz would play less when Brantley came back. Regardless, it is still frustrating.
Yainer has started 7 of the last 15 and 3 of the last 9.

Completely unacceptable.
gambochaman
AG
Dusty
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

MAROON said:

Pretty clear at this point that's only because the playoffs are when the real minds in the room finally choose to exercise some oversight over Dusty's "wishing, wanting, and hoping" approach to managing.
This is Brown's first rodeo as the man this postseason. Apparently, Click was able to make it happen. We'll see what happens this year.

Then again the areas to override Dusty weren't all the questionable. The real question was Vazquez or Maldonado, Gurriel or Mancini at 1B, and then whoever didn't start at 1st, Diaz, or Hensley at DH. None were super hard with how average the new editions were playing and the lack of good options at DH. Then when Yuli "got hot" he was always going to get the at bats.

Any lineup that puts in someone like Dubon, Meyers, or Maldonado over Diaz, McCormick, or Brantley is probably pretty damn stupid.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'd like to formally put it in writing that I believe Meyers might not make the Post season roster, sucks for him but there isn't much of a need for him

1. Altuve
2. Bregman
3. Peña
4. Ted
5. Chaz
6. Yordon
7. Uncle Mike
8. Abreu
9. Maldy
10. Diaz
11. Dubon
12. Salazar
13. Singleton/Meyers/Kessinger
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

MAROON said:

This is Brown's first rodeo as the man this postseason. Apparently, Click was able to make it happen. We'll see what happens this year.

Then again the areas to override Dusty weren't all the questionable. The real question was Vazquez or Maldonado, Gurriel or Mancini at 1B, and then whoever didn't start at 1st, Diaz, or Hensley at DH. None were super hard with how average the new editions were playing and the lack of good options at DH. Then when Yuli "got hot" he was always going to get the at bats.

Any lineup that puts in someone like Dubon, Meyers, or Maldonado over Diaz, McCormick, or Brantley is probably pretty damn stupid.

Who would do such a thing?
tjack16
AG
MAROON said:

You're certain Dusty won't start dubon in a playoff game?
Prosperdick
AG
Prosperdick said:

agdaddy04 said:

I'd imagine Brantley is off tonight, so Chaz in OF and Diaz DH.

Yup, lefty throwing for the A's so you're right, no Brantley. However, we all know Diaz can't hit lefties (it's science) so Dubon in centerfield and Chas DH batting 7th (again, this is 11th best OPS in the majors anchoring the bottom of the lineup).

This will be Donkey's lineup, I guarantee it:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon
Fat ass strike out machine

NAILED IT!!! **** you Donkey!

Oops, still has Yordan as DH so even though Yordan says he hits better when he's in the field Donkey ignores that and DH's him anyway.
Mr President Elect
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'd like to formally put it in writing that I believe Meyers might not make the Post season roster, sucks for him but there isn't much of a need for him

1. Altuve
2. Bregman
3. Peña
4. Ted
5. Chaz
6. Yordon
7. Uncle Mike
8. Abreu
9. Maldy
10. Diaz
11. Dubon
12. Salazar
13. Singleton/Meyers/Kessinger
I mentioned it a week or so ago I don't think it is a sure thing. I don't know how the numbers shake out between bp and bench though, and I do think he has the upper hand over Sing and Kess. He provides late inning defense and a sub as a pinch runner. If you just play the best players, there is no need for a PH or alternate lineup guy.
maca1028
How many playoff games do you think Diaz is on the bench for in a 7 game series?

I'm going with 4
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

MAROON said:

You certain the front office won't take over the lineup ?
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

tjack16 said:

MAROON said:

You certain the front office won't take over the lineup ?

They should but I have no idea how they will handle it
First Page Last Page
Page 2255 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.