***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,509,584 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
NE PA Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for that. This is different than pretty much every other seeded tournament then. Usually the higher seed is set up to play the most likely lowest seed in the second round.
All I do is Nguyen
Yeah the MLB does things different and honestly I am totally okay with facing the winner of the Strangers and Twins
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Gotta win the series against the As and Royals.
Bag
AG
W said:

that's true

if the season ended tonight....the Mariners would be out

went from 1st place to out in one week's time
let that be a warning
NE PA Ag
All I do is Nguyen said:

Yeah the MLB does things different and honestly I am totally okay with facing the winner of the Strangers and Twins

No kidding, that's a much better matchup possibility!
gougler08
AG
NE PA Ag said:

Thanks for that. This is different than pretty much every other seeded tournament then. Usually the higher seed is set up to play the most likely lowest seed in the second round.
Isn't that the case? Most likely is 1v4 and 2v3 in this setup
NE PA Ag
gougler08 said:

NE PA Ag said:

That's not how this works apparently. Most likely is 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 the way MLB does it.
FrioAg 00
AG
Need a dominant Verlander night to quickly get the tone back

Seattle did us a solid. I'm betting Jays will help us tonight.
Prosperdick
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Need a dominant Verlander night to quickly get the tone back

Seattle did us a solid. I'm betting Jays will help us tonight.
Need Diaz and Chas playing tonight...lineup of death, we can't f*** around any longer. Sadly it's likely neither will play.
gougler08
AG
NE PA Ag said:

gougler08 said:

NE PA Ag said:

That's not how this works apparently. Most likely is 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 the way MLB does it.
That would be if the 6 seed won and re-seeded though. If "chalk" wins the Astros play the Twins (2v3) and Orioles play Rays (1v4)?

Basically it's a tournament that isn't re-seeded which I think the NBA uses, but NFL re-seeds if memory serves?
All I do is Nguyen
Yew the NFL matches based on seeding so higher always plays lower
agdaddy04
AG
I'd imagine Brantley is off tonight, so Chaz in OF and Diaz DH.
W
AG
the Astros are 5-5 in September

seems like they have played better than that
West Roxbury
The Yankees sweep started the month. Drop 1 to SD and 1 yesterday.
NE PA Ag
gougler08 said:

NE PA Ag said:

gougler08 said:

NE PA Ag said:

That would be if the 6 seed won and re-seeded though. If "chalk" wins the Astros play the Twins (2v3) and Orioles play Rays (1v4)?

Basically it's a tournament that isn't re-seeded which I think the NBA uses, but NFL re-seeds if memory serves?

Yes, you are right and this is working that way. The Twins record being worse than the wild cards confused me; since the 3rd division champ is the 3 it makes sense.
Prosperdick
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Yup, lefty throwing for the A's so you're right, no Brantley. However, we all know Diaz can't hit lefties (it's science) so Dubon in centerfield and Chas DH batting 7th (again, this is 11th best OPS in the majors anchoring the bottom of the lineup).

This will be Donkey's lineup, I guarantee it:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon
Fat ass strike out machine
mAgnoliAg
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

NE PA Ag said:

kb2001 said:

BadAggie said:

Seattle now out of the playoffs
This is what I'm hoping for.

Astros win the division. TB, Blue Jays, Rangers in the WC in that order.

With that, Astros would play Twins/Blue Jays in the ALDS, Orioles would play Rays/Rangers.

We've handled the Rangers this season, Seattle has beaten us down. That lines up for Astros-Rangers in the ALCS as long as both teams handle their business. It would be awesome to have the ALCS never leave the state of Texas.

Wouldn't the 1 seed play the winner of 4 v 5 in the ALDS and the 2 play the winner of 3 v 6?
Not according to this

I'm very confused at what y'all are talking about. Not according to this? Actually definitely according to this.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Prosperdick said:

agdaddy04 said:

Yup, lefty throwing for the A's so you're right, no Brantley. However, we all know Diaz can't hit lefties (it's science) so Dubon in centerfield and Chas DH batting 7th (again, this is 11th best OPS in the majors anchoring the bottom of the lineup).

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon

Yordan DH and chas in left. Otherwise you are exactly right. I've gotten to where I can accurately predict Dusty's lineups 90% of the time. Now saying that out loud sounds so sad
BadAggie
AG
W said:

the Astros are 5-5 in September

seems like they have played better than that

The sense of urgency is overwhelming.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Prosperdick said:

agdaddy04 said:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon
Why do you have Chas in there twice?
Farmer1906
AG
I think this is the first time in history that the 2-hole has not become the most valued spot in the lineup league-wide.

wRC+ by lineup position (Astros)

1 - 110 (114 Would be so much higher if not for Dubon)
2 - 113 (129 Breggy was so good here)
3 - 110 (152 Yordan & TED...duh)
4 - 110 (103 Abreu can thank Breggy & Tucker for getting this league avg)
5 - 103 (138 Mixture of Tucker, good Abreu, Yainer, & Chas)
6 - 94 (70 Pena, Abreu, & bad Chas)
7 - 90 (98 Julks... Chas & good Pena almost got it up)
8 - 86 (107 good Dubon, Diaz, good Pena, & Chas covered for a whole lot of Jake)
0 - 80 (79 Maldy special)

Prosperdick
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Prosperdick said:

agdaddy04 said:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon

Yordan DH and chas in left. Otherwise you are exactly right. I've gotten to where I can accurately predict Dusty's lineups 90% of the time. Now saying that out loud sounds so sad
I hope you're wrong and Yordan is playing left because he seems to hit much better when he's in the field and he's been vocal about playing left instead of DH. Also, he was DH last night so I'm guessing he gets the start and Chas is DH.
Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Prosperdick said:

agdaddy04 said:

Altuve
Peña
Yordan
Breggy
Tucker
Abreu (why?)
Chas
Dubon
Why do you have Chas in there twice?
I was waiting for someone to make that joke. True, Chas had a bad game. Certainly didn't help with the "other" fat ass batting behind him which I mentioned before the game, he wasn't going to get a pitch to hit...and he didn't and tried to reach and struck out twice.

If Donkey would simply bat Breggy 2nd, where he belongs, and Pena 8th, this lineup would be that much more deadly. Perhaps in the playoffs...IF WE MAKE IT!!!!
AustinCountyAg
I for one am very thankful football has started. As someone who normally doesn't give two craps about the NFL I watched the entire game last night and barely watched the Astros.

I've had about all I can stand of Dusty rolling out Maldy's fatass at catcher every night damn near and sitting a guy with an .843 OPS. And then add in the fact that you have a guy in Chaz with a .881 OPS getting passed over when he should be in the lineup every night is nuts. The distraction of football has been a welcome change into my weekly routine.

If the Astros miss the playoffs it is 100% on Dusty. They likely won't, but the fact that there is still even a chance of it happening is beyond ridiculous. I don't even want to think about a playoff game yet with one or both of Diaz/Chaz not starting.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

I for one am very thankful football has started. As someone who normally doesn't give two craps about the NFL I watched the entire game last night and barely watched the Astros.

I've had about all I can stand of Dusty rolling out Maldy's fatass at catcher every night damn near and sitting a guy with an .843 OPS. And then add in the fact that you have a guy in Chaz with a .881 OPS getting passed over when he should be in the lineup every night is nuts. The distraction of football has been a welcome change into my weekly routine.

If the Astros miss the playoffs it is 100% on Dusty. They likely won't, but the fact that there is still even a chance of it happening is beyond ridiculous. I don't even want to think about a playoff game yet with one or both of Diaz/Chaz not starting.

texasaggie2015
AG
We have a two game lead on first place and you would never know it by reading this thread. To each his own, and I'm not knocking anyone.. but I'll likely take some time off for a while. It's just not enjoyable or fun for me anymore and it's a shame because I used to love it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Can we make a non bleeder thread… or like an entrance exam for this one?
Dies Irae
The joys of Yordan Alvarez, in my season so far (not to the allstar break yet)

Yordan has:

Sprained Ankle
Sore Ankle
Sprained Knee (three times)
knee tendentious
Back stiffness

Farmer1906
AG
That's on you. He's not getting g regular rest and he's playing in LF everyday.
AustinCountyAg
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

lol. I am not leaving, but similar to what 2015 said ( and I'm guilty), but the constant Dusty *****ing and thread of people who throw in the towel on here after one inning gets tough. My point was having football on now makes it easier to not get wrapped up in this thread and so frustrated.

It is possible to enjoy both sports more causally....until playoffs starts.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Except that's not what you said and not what 2015 said. He said he's laying off this thread. You complained about Dusty's lineup and said you didn't even watch the game but instead watched a Jets vs Buffalo game.

You literally complained about the thread being annoying because of posts Ike the one you just made.

I stand by my meme
Mr President Elect
AG
I think some of you forget how boring last September was. We had almost nothing to play for. At least this year, it feels a bit like October in September. I thank Dusty for this every day.
W
AG
thanks to the tiebreaker...

it looks like a 2-game lead, but it's actually only a 1-game margin over Seattle for the division

kind of strange
W
AG
it is hard to believe...with 17 games left...the Astros are still in a dogfight for the division and wildcard

especially when the talent level of the Astros is compared to the Mariners and Rangers

the Astros blow those teams away with all-star talent and players

Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Tucker, Yainer, Chas

plus JV, Framber, Pressly, Abreu, Neris
AustinCountyAg
I said I "barely watched the game". I usually watch every pitch. Last night I watched random innings.

I applaud you for trying to be a hardass and trying to call me out when I did a bad job of expressing my point in my post.
First Page Last Page
Page 2253 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.