***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,305 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
While looking at different splits, Pena is terrible in high leverage this season.

2022 - 198 wRC+ (47 PA)
2023 - 22 wRC+ (49 PA)

He's continuing his major L/R split too.

vs R - 79 wRC+
vs L - 139 wRC+
Farmer1906
AG
He's a better option than Pena. If we think it'll continue then he should be there. I would guess he's going to level out a little. I think 6-7 spot is nice for him.

But Dusty is not going to keep that many lefties near the top. It'll mean Tucker bats 6 hole most likely. Dont want that.
cone
AG
W said:

it's getting tougher to re-sign Bregman, Altuve, and Tucker as each day passes

Bregman + Altuve + Tucker on the 2026 payroll could equal $100 MM
you do realize the Big Red Machine ended, right?
Chrundle the Great
AG
How many of those 49 Pa came when he was terrible in general? (May-July)
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Frankly, I am shocked that Dusty hasn't tried it. He even made a comment earlier this year when Brantley was rehabbing along the lines of Michael Brantley is my two hitter.

In this lineup, Brantley at 2 does not make sense, and I am glad to see him batting 6/7. The lineup needs to revolve around Yordan and Tucker. Despite Dusty's frequent insistence on separating these two lefties, they don't need to be as they both hammer lefties. Brantley, however, has been vulnerable to lefties in recent years, which means you do NOT want him batting adjacent to Yordan and Tucker who draw frequent lefty relievers.

You can make arguments several ways, but some combination of Alvarez, Tucker, and Bregman needs to occupy the three slots behind Altuve.

For me, my favorite lineup is still:
Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
McCormick (I love him getting the mandatory third AB on all those lefties that managers can't help but bring in for the two preceding guys)
Brantley
Abreu
Diaz
Pena

Yordan, Tucker, and Bregman are all top 5 in baseball in hitting in leverage situations, so those guys need to get all of the AB behind Altuve, especially late in games. I am glad Pena is hot, but he still profiles as a good 8/9 hitter.
Furlock Bones
AG
Bagwell in for Steve Sparks for this series. Didn't Sparky miss the games this weekend as well? Or am I thinking of someone else?

hope he's alright.
texasaggie2015
AG
You're thinking of Blum
gambochaman
AG
Continuing to trot maldy out there is the definition of insanity
tjack16
AG
In case you're curious… new postseason patches have dropped
texasaggie2015
AG
I've always loved the Braves hats. They're so clean.
Beat40
gambochaman said:

Continuing to trot maldy out there is the definition of insanity
We know. I believe this is the 1,209th you've mentioned it.
gambochaman
AG
1217th actually
Furlock Bones
AG
gracias
txags92
AG
bearkatag15 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Dusty may have turned a corner y'all!!

The real test will be tomorrow and if he puts Dubon in CF on JV day
Dubon has the 3rd highest OPS on the team over the last 30 days. I am ok with him in there if he stays hot, but I would love to find a way to keep Chas and Diaz in the lineup somehow as well. Can Dubon play SS?
Prosperdick
AG
txags92 said:

bearkatag15 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

Dusty may have turned a corner y'all!!

The real test will be tomorrow and if he puts Dubon in CF on JV day
Dubon has the 3rd highest OPS on the team over the last 30 days. I am ok with him in there if he stays hot, but I would love to find a way to keep Chas and Diaz in the lineup somehow as well. Can Dubon play SS?
Probably and I'm with you, Pena needs a day off WAAAAAY more than Chas, who shouldn't sit another f***ing day but we'll all see it tomorrow from Donkey.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've always liked their uniforms the best. As much as I dislike the franchise
Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

In case you're curious… new postseason patches have dropped

Patch has a 90s vibe to it
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG
tjack16 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I've always liked their uniforms the best. As much as I dislike the franchise

Completely agree. Classic and clean look
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG
https://www.facebook.com/reel/266870029610463?mibextid=9drbnH

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
JYDog90
AG
Wow. That's quite the week for Matt Olson.
All I do is Nguyen
Everything is possibly setting up for a rematch of the 2021 WS
Ag_07
AG
WTF is going on in ATL?

The numbers they're putting up are ridiculous and they're all having career years.
linkdude
AG
Feels like we'll know more about those possibilities after next week's series with Baltimore. That could be an ALCS preview.
All I do is Nguyen
Agreed and I know a few Os fans where I live and we all agree that would be an amazing series
linkdude
AG
Trade for and develop a boatload of excellent hitters. They're basically doing what we did in 19. There was a juiced ball in 19, and maybe they got to a Goldilocks version of it this year.

We had a few years between Altuve and Biggio, but it feels like that's what they did going from Freeman to Olson.
Mr President Elect
AG
linkdude said:

Feels like we'll know more about those possibilities after next week's series with Baltimore. That could be an ALCS preview.
Are the Orioles the best team in the AL? I know Ketch mentioned earlier they are the book faves now, but their expected W/L says otherwise. I don't take that as the gospel, but the discrepancy for them seems pretty high.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr President Elect said:

linkdude said:

Are the Orioles the best team in the AL? I know Ketch mentioned earlier they are the book faves now, but their expected W/L says otherwise. I don't take that as the gospel, but the discrepancy for them seems pretty high.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-world-series-odds-power-rankings-braves-astros-rising/ar-AA1gyPld

This has is 2nd to only ATL on the odds.
spadilly
S
My two boys just got their team info for little league.
I make it a point, and always have, to buy a hat or shirt to wear for their teams.
You know where this is going….

Oldest son is on the cardinals. That's a great, classic uniform and I can wear it just fine.
Our youngest? His first season playing and he's the rangers. He's so excited to play and told me "I know you hate it and love it, but I want you to get a shirt for my games."
I'll do it, and some of the Rangers vintage/Cooperstown/Nolan stuff is good. I actually rooted for them when I was a kid and we were in different leagues.
linkdude
AG
They're "learning how to win" even without a perfect pitching staff. Seems pretty close to our formula this year.
Farmer1906
AG
Sounds like a waste of money. He'll be off that team in 5 weeks.
Mr President Elect
AG
linkdude said:

They're "learning how to win" even without a perfect pitching staff. Seems pretty close to our formula this year.
It's been an odd year. Our formula at the start of the year was to pitch lights and hang on without scoring much. Since the all-star break, our formula is to hit the cover off the ball and hope our pitching doesn't completely crap the bed. We've outscored the O's by nearly 50 runs since the break in the same amount of games.
cc10106
Ag_07 said:

WTF is going on in ATL?

The numbers they're putting up are ridiculous and they're all having career years.
Sure would be a shame for someone to go and ruin their season despite being heavy favorites to win it all.

This series feels like a trap, but I know we're due more wins at home.
Jackal99
AG
My kid got the Astros this season (fifth grade). His first season of t-ball, he was on the Yankees. Second season of t-ball, the Braves.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

WTF is going on in ATL?

MLB mixed up the order and sent the Yankees supply of baseballs there back in April and the Braves refused to return them.
First Page Last Page
Page 2241 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.