***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,506,893 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doesn't seem to affect our opponents, as our pitchers are also better on the road with a home ERA of 4.08 and a road of 3.77.

Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Chandler's chubby Chas article…apparently there are plenty fans big mad that he released that and is trying to cause issues.

I have a complete opposite view. I almost think he directly got quotes about this to put dusty on a hot seat to account for why he isn't playing Chas. As in they aren't willing to address him directly but the FO believes it is ridiculous not to play Chas and this is a way to maybe push Dusty's hand.
Agree. Anyone who's complaining about that article is misguided. I have my issues with Chandler but give him credit for writing it.

That story needs as much oxygen as it can get. It's one of the few stories this year that literally everyone on this board (from the most objective rationalists to the pot bangiest of pot bangers) can agree on. The fact that Chas is still hasn't earned the right to be an everyday player is just wrong.

To the extent a more outspoken/explicit "controversy" about Chas is brewing, it's possible Dusty digs in and doubles down on his stubborn old man position. But without any sort of ignition on the topic, Dusty was going to continue with his weird Chas status quo anyway. So I hope the media keeps talking about it and asking him about it.

I think the Singleton PH and Julio Rodriguez comment were the straws that broke the camels back here. Most of us have seen this situation brewing for the last 2-3 years in various forms.

First he couldn't get on the field over Straw. Then Siri. Then Jake. Then Dubon at various times. In 2021 or 2022, you could at least say that his production, while good, still left the door open for someone to beat him out.

Then he goes out in the 2022 playoffs and hits one of the biggest HRs in the ALCS and makes the defensive play of the World Series. He still can't get the start on opening day, but with full benefit of the doubt, one could argue that opening day is just one game out of 162 and maybe Jake just matched up better with Cease that night per analytics. Who knows.

Even though Julks doesn't necessarily play the same position as Chas, he clearly ate into Chas's playing time. And for what reason? I guess cuz Dusty likes him? It would be one thing if Chas had to sacrifice some early season ABs in the name of bringing up a stud young guy with high upside to see what he's got. But even in his best case, Julks was/is never going to be as good as Chas. Not even the 2022 version of Chas.

Plenty more examples like this could be cited. Meanwhile, Chas has mostly kept quiet behind the scenes, RAKED AT AN EFFING .900 OPS CLIP and kept his defense solid/good. It's obvious to everyone except one person that he needs to play everyday. Hopefully that changes soon.
BCEDAg
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Visiting teams don't seem to have a problem with the batters eye. In the past few years the Stros were raking at home so was the batters eye any different then? I think it's due to being distracted at home with family obligations and other stuff like Bregman "working " at Canes during an off day. More focused when on the road.
texasaggie2015
AG
BCEDAg said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

and other stuff like Bregman "working " at Canes during an off day.
You realize every team across the league does PR stuff like this on days off right? And they've been doing things like this for a long time?
AustinCountyAg
AustinCountyAg
Deluxe said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Chandler's chubby Chas article…apparently there are plenty fans big mad that he released that and is trying to cause issues.

I have a complete opposite view. I almost think he directly got quotes about this to put dusty on a hot seat to account for why he isn't playing Chas. As in they aren't willing to address him directly but the FO believes it is ridiculous not to play Chas and this is a way to maybe push Dusty's hand.
Agree. Anyone who's complaining about that article is misguided. I have my issues with Chandler but give him credit for writing it.

That story needs as much oxygen as it can get. It's one of the few stories this year that literally everyone on this board (from the most objective rationalists to the pot bangiest of pot bangers) can agree on. The fact that Chas is still hasn't earned the right to be an everyday player is just wrong.

To the extent a more outspoken/explicit "controversy" about Chas is brewing, it's possible Dusty digs in and doubles down on his stubborn old man position. But without any sort of ignition on the topic, Dusty was going to continue with his weird Chas status quo anyway. So I hope the media keeps talking about it and asking him about it.

I think the Singleton PH and Julio Rodriguez comment were the straws that broke the camels back here. Most of us have seen this situation brewing for the last 2-3 years in various forms.

First he couldn't get on the field over Straw. Then Siri. Then Jake. Then Dubon at various times. In 2021 or 2022, you could at least say that his production, while good, still left the door open for someone to beat him out.

Then he goes out in the 2022 playoffs and hits one of the biggest HRs in the ALCS and makes the defensive play of the World Series. He still can't get the start on opening day, but with full benefit of the doubt, one could argue that opening day is just one game out of 162 and maybe Jake just matched up better with Cease that night per analytics. Who knows.

Even though Julks doesn't necessarily play the same position as Chas, he clearly ate into Chas's playing time. And for what reason? I guess cuz Dusty likes him? It would be one thing if Chas had to sacrifice some early season ABs in the name of bringing up a stud young guy with high upside to see what he's got. But even in his best case, Julks was/is never going to be as good as Chas. Not even the 2022 version of Chas.

Plenty more examples like this could be cited. Meanwhile, Chas has mostly kept quiet behind the scenes, RAKED AT AN EFFING .900 OPS CLIP and kept his defense solid/good. It's obvious to everyone except one person that he needs to play everyday. Hopefully that changes soon.
this is the part that is ridiculous. Julks didn't deserve 1/3 of the AB's he did this season.
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

BCEDAg said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

and other stuff like Bregman "working " at Canes during an off day.
You realize every team across the league does PR stuff like this on days off right? And they've been doing things like this for a long time?

Yes I'm fully aware that other teams do it from a PR standpoint. Still can be a distraction for the players.
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

How does that explain other teams being successful at MMP? They have to deal with the same batters eye
Hulla Baller
AG
It'd be nice to continue our win streak the next 9 games against inferior opponents.
Beau Holder
AG
I love Apple games.
texasaggie2015
AG
I promise you it's not a distraction lol
RED AG 98
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is great:

Quote:

"I think I see the ball all right there," said outfielder Chas McCormick, who boasts a .948 OPS at home and .854 clip on the road.
KTAG05
AG

Robert Flores and MLB network talking about Chas
Deluxe
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Hope the chatter gets louder and louder. Time for Dusty to do what he's been stubbornly avoiding for a long time now.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is what happened to Garcia for the rangers, they're apparently calling up their #1 outfield prospect
AustinCountyAg

they are pissing on Dusty hard. Love to see it.
Prosperdick
AG
Deluxe said:

BCSGrubber said:

Hope the chatter gets louder and louder. Time for Dusty to do what he's been stubbornly avoiding for a long time now.
Sadly I think it will have the opposite effect but I hope I'm wrong!

Bottom line, when you have the 11th best OPS in ALL OF F***ING BASEBALL you should play EVERY MOTHERF***ING DAY. I don't care how much you weigh or if you're not a gym rat or if you slept with Dusty's wife you better be in the lineup and when you finally are in the lineup you better not be hitting 7th or 8th.

It's madness people and if you complainers don't like it just try to defend the statement above, you can't. You have the 11th best hitter in the league playing less than 80% of the games. Criminal charges should be filed.
Deluxe
AG
Like I said in my TLDR post, the chatter may not change his mind (he may even dig in even further). But he definitely wasn't going to change his mind if everything remained quietly status quo. I think this is the only hope.
Beau Holder
AG
Chas' two ALCS homers and WS catch helped drag Dusty across the finish line after a career of well-earned postseason failure with 13% of the league's franchises and all this is how he thanks him.
Prosperdick
AG
Beau Holder said:

Chas' two ALCS homers and WS catch helped drag Dusty across the finish line after a career of well-earned postseason failure with 13% of the league's franchises and all this is how he thanks him.
But I bet Chas thanks him later...
JDUB08AG
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

they are pissing on Dusty hard. Love to see it.
This was an awesome segment and represented everything we've been *****ing about for months. Fantastic that the media is now catching on and AJ had no words (shocking) as to how this was even possible.
1836er
AG
BCSGrubber said:

Just finished watching this... couldn't agree more.

I didn't realize he's got the 11th best OPS in all of MLB. #11.

That's elite level player territory he's been performing at there.
W
AG
at this point everyone realizes it's personal...it's not baseball related

some kind of dislike or prejudice is involved
Bag
AG
i feel this is all manufactured drama, the question is why and who is driving it
Farmer1906
AG
Dusty brought this on himself. He's the jester in it all. Maybe Chas was smart and got his agent to start floating the story out to the more national media types.
cone
AG
what if you think Chan is a c sucker in any and all respects
texasaggie2015
AG
cone said:

what if you think Chan is a c sucker in any and all respects
If you're blaming Chandler for this, then I just don't know what to tell you.
JDUB08AG
AG
Chas McCormick - 95 games
Corey Julks - 93 games

There is an elephant in the room
Farmer1906
AG
What makes this even worse a very similar story is happening with Yainer.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Dusty brought this on himself. He's the jester in it all. Maybe Chas was smart and got his agent to start floating the story out to the more national media types.
100%

Big brain and all
cone
AG
I blame him for everything

that guy sucks
texasaggie2015
AG
This has been a problem with Dusty his whole career. I just think it's more visible now with the microscope of social media. The dude is very stubborn to a fault and really gets stuck on proving he's right.
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This has been a problem with Dusty his whole career. I just think it's more visible now with the microscope of social media. The dude is very stubborn to a fault and really gets stuck on proving he's right.
There is a reason he's had stacked teams in Chicago, SF, and Reds and Nats to a lesser extent and never gotten over the hump.
texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW- out of all the gossip I've been told and things that go on in that clubhouse, I've never once heard of a player who dislikes Dusty.

It's very possible there's some guys who have problems with him. I just always found it interesting that I haven't heard otherwise.
W
AG
I'm sure the .600 and .700 OPS guys love Dusty

because they know they would not be playing as much on other teams

they would be benched or only start 1 or 2 games per week
First Page Last Page
Page 2195 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.