***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,239 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Mariners v Rays 4 game series starts today. Are we rooting for a Rays sweep? Or at least 3-1 series win for the Rays?

Winning the division is paramount and no realistic shot at the top AL seed.

Really really need to get the bye for the Wild Card round.
BadAggie
AG
If Baltimore cratered and there was a chance at the top seed then sure maybe you don't want Tampa winning as much. But that seems unlikely.

Also being the road team has its advantages apparently
mAgnoliAg
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

This was the end of it. Video missed the good part
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Apparently having a huge postseason impact doesn't make you a "big boy"...
AgLA06
AG
Every time he opens his mouth these days, he removes any doubt about being smarter than everyone else.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AgLA06 said:

Every time he opens his mouth these days, he removes any doubt about being smarter than everyone else.

There's a certain amount of irony in him saying that considering him being a "big" boy is one of the reasons Dusty doesn't want to play him.
spadilly
S

Off days…

BudFox7
Wonder what the performance and efficiency stats are on players that play as much post season and high stress games as the Astros core group since 2017.

Doesn't explain Dusty in Chaz but maybe rest days for others have some actual metrics behind it
FrioAg 00
AG
Division lead is all that matters

Pull for anyone playing against Mariners or Rangers

When they play each other, pull for whichever one has the worse record
Farmer1906
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Division lead is all that matters

Pull for anyone playing against Mariners or Rangers

This.
Farmer1906
AG
gigemJTH12
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Mariners v Rays 4 game series starts today. Are we rooting for a Rays sweep? Or at least 3-1 series win for the Rays?
Rays sweep.

why would we want home field anyways?
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Some shenanigans going down in DC
agdoc2001
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Some shenanigans going down in DC
What else is new?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
gambochaman
AG
question since its off day...may be jumping the shark on this but was thinking about it while driving so figured i'd get yalls take on this

seems like we are going to have a surplus of starters for next year assuming Garcia and Lance are back...do we trade a couple of them? do we move some to the bullpen?

Framber
JV
Javier
Garcia
Lance
Urquidy
Brown
France

thats 2-3 starters too many
gambochaman
AG
and of course cannot take Lance for granted given recent issues...
Cromagnum
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Rays sweep.

why would we want home field anyways?

True, but I hate their ghetto ass stadium with their weird ceiling rules.
Mathguy64
AG
gambochaman said:

question since its off day...may be jumping the shark on this but was thinking about it while driving so figured i'd get yalls take on this

seems like we are going to have a surplus of starters for next year assuming Garcia and Lance are back...do we trade a couple of them? do we move some to the bullpen?

Framber
JV
Javier
Garcia
Lance
Urquidy
Brown
France

Having 3 starters too many is bad until 3 of them need TJ during the season.

Garcia wont be back until mid season at best. I'm not 100% sold Lance will be healthy at the start. JV missed early games this year with NY.
texasaggie2015
AG
I've been told Garcia to the bullpen is a real possibility and something they were considering even before his injury.

His velocity goes up a couple notches and his stuff is better out of the pen. They think he can be an elite 8th or 9th inning guy.
Farmer1906
AG
gambochaman said:

Framber
JV
Javier
Garcia
Lance
Urquidy
Brown
France

The average recovery for TJ is 12-18 months. Best case we get Garcia back in June, worst case he misses the entire year.

As much as Lance has a haunting history of injury, the last surgery is supposed to fix a major issue that has been bothering him since 2021. I could see him missing the start of the year. There isn't nearly as much to compare to for his surgery vs TJ.

I agree there are probably too many, but this also opens up a solution for the bullpen openings. Stanek, Maton, & Neris are likely gone. We could replace 1-2 of them with long relief types like Urquidy & Garcia (Ketch mentioned before).

Then you factor in health. It's unlikely they all stay healthy.
Red Five
AG
BadAggie said:

Lol they're on to Pitchcom hacking on the other thread
DallasAg 94 has it all figured out:

Quote:

FWIU, according to MLB only Cs are allowed to wear the transmitter. You are allowed 3 players... specifically the 2B, SS, and CF usually, to wear receivers.

Series Stats:
2B Altuve 7-15, 5 HR <- Allowed a receiver
C Diaz: 1-5, 1 HR <- Allowed a receiver
C Maldonado: 3-9, 2 HR <- Allowed a receiver
CF Dubon: 5-15, 2 HR <- Allowed a receiver
10 HRs by 4 guys MLB allows to wear a receiver

SS Pena: 7-18, 0HR <- Allowed a receiver

3B Bregman: 7-14, 1R, 2RBI, 0HR
RF Tucker: 3-9, 0HR
1B Abreu: 4-13, 2HR
LF McCormick: 5-9, 1HR
LF Brantley: 2-3, 1 HR
DH Alvarez: 4-9, 2HR
6 HRs by 5 positions not allowed

HR Leaders:
26 Tucker, 137G
25 Alvarez, 93G
22 Bregman, 140G
20 McCormick, 95G
14 Abreu, 121G
107 HRs on the season by guys contributing 6HRs

21 Diaz, 92G
15 Altuve, 69G - 30% of his HRs were in 2G this week
13 Maldonado, 102G - .189 Hitter with 11HRs coming into the series went .333 and 2 HRs?
10 Pena, 129G
9 Dubon, 115G - 2 of his 9 HRs were in this series
68 HRs on the season by guys contributing 10HRs.

Just some head scratching, that Altuve, Maldonado, and Dubon come into the series with 28 combined HRs and in 3 games they hit 9 HRs?!

Farmer1906
AG
Red Five said:

BadAggie said:

Lol they're on to Pitchcom hacking on the other thread
DallasAg 94 has it all figured out:

Quote:

FWIU, according to MLB only Cs are allowed to wear the transmitter. You are allowed 3 players... specifically the 2B, SS, and CF usually, to wear receivers.

Series Stats:
2B Altuve 7-15, 5 HR <- Allowed a receiver
C Diaz: 1-5, 1 HR <- Allowed a receiver
C Maldonado: 3-9, 2 HR <- Allowed a receiver
CF Dubon: 5-15, 2 HR <- Allowed a receiver
10 HRs by 4 guys MLB allows to wear a receiver

SS Pena: 7-18, 0HR <- Allowed a receiver

3B Bregman: 7-14, 1R, 2RBI, 0HR
RF Tucker: 3-9, 0HR
1B Abreu: 4-13, 2HR
LF McCormick: 5-9, 1HR
LF Brantley: 2-3, 1 HR
DH Alvarez: 4-9, 2HR
6 HRs by 5 positions not allowed

HR Leaders:
26 Tucker, 137G
25 Alvarez, 93G
22 Bregman, 140G
20 McCormick, 95G
14 Abreu, 121G
107 HRs on the season by guys contributing 6HRs

21 Diaz, 92G
15 Altuve, 69G - 30% of his HRs were in 2G this week
13 Maldonado, 102G - .189 Hitter with 11HRs coming into the series went .333 and 2 HRs?
10 Pena, 129G
9 Dubon, 115G - 2 of his 9 HRs were in this series
68 HRs on the season by guys contributing 10HRs.

Just some head scratching, that Altuve, Maldonado, and Dubon come into the series with 28 combined HRs and in 3 games they hit 9 HRs?!

iamtheglove
If you need a chuckle you have to spend 5 minutes reading the Arlington thread. Here's what I learned:

1. An Arlington fan should have broken Reid Ryan's Leg and caused him great pain during Harvey because "he tried to use the hurricane to gain an advantage on the Arlington's"
2. The Astros are just lucky this year, just like the Eagles were lucky last year because they had an easy schedule where they didn't face any team of consequence. If not for Astros luck, Arlington would be leading the division.
3. There is strong mathematical evidence that the Astros hacked the Pitchcom system this series and the success of 3 of the guys that get to wear earpieces or transmitter (Maldy, Altuve and Dubon) prove it. Because math.

They're going to need to get Oliver Stone to direct the movie.
texasaggie2015
AG
Arrighetti and Gordon are both close to being MLB ready. There really is a surplus of starting pitchers and it'll be interesting to see if one of them are moved to fill a bigger need this offseason.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Arrighetti and Gordon are both close to being MLB ready. There really is a surplus of starting pitchers and it'll be interesting to see if one of them are moved to fill a bigger need this offseason.

What is that bigger need? Lefty utility? Bullpen? Back up catcher?
Red Five
AG
Centerfielder, apparently
texasaggie2015
AG
I actually wouldn't surprised to see Salazar come in as the backup catcher. They love his game prep and IQ behind the plate.

If not- they'll probably sign a vet for cheap.

With several guys in the bullpen entering free agency, I think this would be a real possibility. I think they make a serious run at re-signing Neris. I know that's scary after Montero- but Montero has seemed to settle down and Neris is one of the vocal leaders of this team. Huge clubhouse presence.
Jackal99
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I actually wouldn't surprised to see Salazar come in as the backup catcher. They love his game prep and IQ behind the plate.

Oh man. Then Diaz would get even less playing time.
texasaggie2015
AG
As bad as the Montero, Abreu and Uncle Mike signings looked for the longest time, there's starting to be glimmers of hope.

Montero has turned it around significantly and it's very possible he plays a big role out of the bullpen the rest of the year and beyond.

Abreu seems to be slowly coming around. The organization (and Abreu) both firmly believe the back issues were the problem for a majority of this season. Back issues can linger but fingers crossed. Maybe he can be a .800-.850 OPS guy next year.. which would be huge.

Uncle Mike is just a professional hitter. It's really unbelievable. It's absolutely possible (maybe even likely) he plays a big role the rest of the way and into the postseason. I never imagined I would type that sentence after everything I was told this year. If he can help this team win another pennant, the signing was 100% worth it IMO.

RED AG 98
AG
Off-day perusing the sports page web and came across this article on CC. I knew it wasn't a great year for CC at all but guess I didn't realize just how bad it really was. There's some mindblowing stuff this article over at Fox Sports.

Carlos Correa is flirting with history, and it's not good

Quote:

Correa has a suboptimal .231/.312/.399 batting line with just 17 home runs in 124 games.
Quote:

In fact, the soon-to-be 29-year-old is chasing the type of record you never want: most double plays grounded into in a single season. Entering Wednesday's play, Correa has made two outs with one swing a whopping, league-leading 29 times this season. That's the highest single-season total since Casey McGehee's 31 GIDP performance in 2014 and puts Correa within shouting distance of Jim Rice's all-time record of 36 double plays.
Quote:

Then, there's Correa's sprint speed.
Correa's 34th percentile sprint speed is a career low. To put that number in perspective, 24 catchers are faster than Correa right now.

Love the guy for what he did here. I really hope CC gets well and can be a superstar but man it is more apparent than ever the Astros made the correct decision.
West Roxbury
Bregxit said:

West Roxbury said:

Managing weight loss during the season is a big issue, especially for younger players. Even as stationary as baseball can be at times, the 162 game schedule of batting practice and bursts and base running and travel etc etc can be a struggle for some players. Bryce Harper talks about that early career eye opening in-season weight loss sometimes.

Um, ok? I take it you have no idea of the reference for my joke?

Oh I wasn't commenting on your joke. More on his quote and less about the meatloaf joke or whatever. Sorry for the misfire.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've been told Garcia to the bullpen is a real possibility and something they were considering even before his injury.

His velocity goes up a couple notches and his stuff is better out of the pen. They think he can be an elite 8th or 9th inning guy.
Some data to add:

2021-2023 (regular season + postseason)

4 Seam
SP: 93.7 Velo, 2384 Spin, .383 xwOBA
RP: 95.3 Velo, 2419 Spin, .383 xwOBA

Cutter
SP: 85.6 Velo, 2359 Spin, .245 xwOBA
RP: 87.3 Velo, 2419 Spin, .159 xwOBA

Slider
SP: 79.7 Velo, 2447 Spin, .214 xwOBA
RP: 80.7 Velo, 2527 Spin, .021 xwOBA (only 23 pitches)

BadAggie
AG
Uncle Mike's return and an Abreu performing more like he did in Chicago just makes this offense nasty.

Also both are better moves than what the Astros could have gotten at the deadline.

As for Montero seems to be coming around
JohnnyTexAg1995
iamtheglove said:

If you need a chuckle you have to spend 5 minutes reading the Arlington thread. Here's what I learned:

1. An Arlington fan should have broken Reid Ryan's Leg and caused him great pain during Harvey because "he tried to use the hurricane to gain an advantage on the Arlington's"
2. The Astros are just lucky this year, just like the Eagles were lucky last year because they had an easy schedule where they didn't face any team of consequence. If not for Astros luck, Arlington would be leading the division.
3. There is strong mathematical evidence that the Astros hacked the Pitchcom system this series and the success of 3 of the guys that get to wear earpieces or transmitter (Maldy, Altuve and Dubon) prove it. Because math.

They're going to need to get Oliver Stone to direct the movie.
Its actually sad at this point.... I mean the only people that did jack **** for them this series were Seager and Simean, who by their explanation also wear an earpiece (2B and SS), so did they hack the system too or that could just only work for astros haha
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

Uncle Mike's return and an Abreu performing more like he did in Chicago just makes this offense nasty.

Also both are better moves than what the Astros could have gotten at the deadline.

As for Montero seems to be coming around

A lot of good trends happening for Montero. Note Sept is a tiny sample so far.

Good results

Good expected results

Fewer line drives

More ground balls

Not getting hit as hard

First Page Last Page
Page 2190 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.