***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,511,565 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Cheo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yea very sus decisions all year long
BadAggie
AG
Regular season home records

2014 38-43
2015 53-28
2016 43-38
2017 48-33
2018 46-35
2019 60-21
2020 20-8
2021 51-30
2022 55-26
2023 YTD 35-34

Given recent performance in home games the Astros are heading towards the first losing season at home since 2014.

This is a clear break with the performance of the prior two years.

Regular season road records

2014 32-49
2015 33-48
2016 41-40
2017 53-28
2018 57-24
2019 47-34
2020 9-23
2021 44-37
2022 51-30
2023 YTD 42-27

The Astros this season can finish with a better road record than the 2019 team which won a franchise record 107 regular season games if they go 6-6 in the remaining 12 road games.

While better road than home results is not new in the championship era, with the 2017 and 2018 teams performing better on the road, parity at home is a significant break with performance since 2015.

BadAggie
AG
Re Dusty's vendetta against McCormick, or more charitably, Dusty's hesitancy in playing him.

Chas has played in 92 of the team's 138 games to date, garnering 327 ABs. For the season, he is slashing .281/.363/.511/.874 with 14 doubles, 2 triples, 19 home runs, and 60 RBIs. Also has 14 stolen bases.

For comparison, Corey Julks, a Dusty favorite, has played in 93 of the team's 138 games to date, despite a few trips back and forth between Sugar Land and Minute Maid, and has had 298 ABs. For the season he is slashing .245/.297/.352/.649 with 14 doubles, 0 triples, 6 home runs, and 33 RBIs. Also has 15 stolen bases.

To make this even more fun, Myles Straw has played in 128 of his team's 138 games to date, with 410 ABs. He is slashing .237/.301/.298/.599 with 16 doubles, 3 triples, 1 home run, and 25 RBIs. Has 17 stolen bases on the season.

Chas has 202 put outs, 1 assist and 1 error on the season. Julks has 90 put outs, 4 assists, and 1 error. Straw has 292 put outs, 6 assists, and no errors.

But what about Jake Meyers? Slashing .227/.300/.380/.680 in 295 ABs in 101 games this season with 16 doubles, 1 triple, 9 home runs, and 32 RBIs, and 5 steals. Defensively he's had 226 put outs, 3 assists, and 4 errors.

With a .874 OPS McCormick is ranked 4th on the team, ahead of everyday lineup mainstays such as Bregman (.810), Pena (.712) Abreu (.644) and Maldanaldo (.576).

It's not a pleasant thing to speak of, but as individuals age there is a tendency to become set in their ways, cantankerous, ornery, stubborn, and resistant to change. I guess that sounds better than sheer and utter stupidity.

BadAggie
AG
If you really want to be pissed, you extrapolate Chas' season stats over 491 at bats, which is what Tucker has had so far, and compare.

BadAggie
AG
So basically there's another guy on the roster who performs offensively at close to the same level as the guy on the Astros mentioned as a AL MVP contender (yes Shoehei-time will win it) and Dusty has elected to play him 67% of the time. Makes no fckking sense that Chas hasn't been the everyday center fielder.

I don't know guys, at this point I'll keep track of what's going on, but Astros seem to be about something other than winning lately. Not easy to spend much time following, not to mention spending $ on games and see dumbass crap like this. Maybe getting swept by a moribund Yankee team at home will wake up Crane if the Mariner series two weeks ago didn't.

As we know, Chas isn't the only high performing position player Dusty has held back. I'll leave it to a true stat head to figure out how many wins Dusty's resistance to playing Diaz and Chas every day has cost this team this season.

BadAggie
AG
Even with the injuries, particularly to the starting rotation, it feels based on having watched a lot of baseball games and in particular the Astros over the last few seasons that this team should have ten more wins to this point on the season. Way too many instances of poor performing offensive players (ie Julks, Meyers, Dublin, Maldanaldo, and the AAAA guys) getting a lot of ABs, in addition to reactionary decision making on when to pull a starting pitcher (usually the pitcher is pulled after giving up runs). This is highly unscientific, but I've seen this crap too often this season.

Based on what we know, while the front office is still apparently staffed by people with an analytical bent, there are 'baseball people' that Crane listens to and Dusty is still stuck in 1976.

Maybe last night was the final straw and Crane has told Dusty that he is no longer setting lineups, choosing starters, and making most other managerial decisions, and if he doesn't like it he can resign. Barring that, this team will be hard pressed to repeat.

linkdude
AG
It's been a season full of "final straws", I doubt last night was any different.
BadAggie
AG
There's still time, perhaps. Making Diaz, McCormick, and Brantley everyday batting order mainstays is an option and one would assume that a self made billionaire like Crane is capable of having a come to Jesus meeting with Dusty.

Before I forget we know that Yordan is going to get today's game off after what happened in the field last night, just be prepared.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG

**** dusty
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
BadAggie said:

Even with the injuries, particularly to the starting rotation, it feels based on having watched a lot of baseball games and in particular the Astros over the last few seasons that this team should have ten more wins to this point on the season. Way too many instances of poor performing offensive players (ie Julks, Meyers, Dublin, Maldanaldo, and the AAAA guys) getting a lot of ABs, in addition to reactionary decision making on when to pull a starting pitcher (usually the pitcher is pulled after giving up runs). This is highly unscientific, but I've seen this crap too often this season.

Based on what we know, while the front office is still apparently staffed by people with an analytical bent, there are 'baseball people' that Crane listens to and Dusty is still stuck in 1976.

Maybe last night was the final straw and Crane has told Dusty that he is no longer setting lineups, choosing starters, and making most other managerial decisions, and if he doesn't like it he can resign. Barring that, this team will be hard pressed to repeat.

Let me preface by saying I've never been a Dusty fan. That being said, I think he was the perfect hire for the time. I have been following the Astros for 50 years now, and this ranks up there with the most frustrating seasons. Angry? No, because it's a game and it's entertainment for me....but definitely frustrating.

I've been waiting for someone to throw out a number of where they expect we could be as far as wins go...so, say we win 92 this year, you think this could have been a 102 win team WITH the injuries to the starters AND the losses of Altuve, Alvarez and Brantley for so much of the season? That would only be a 5 game dropoff from last year. Not sure anyone would suggest this roster would be capable of that kind of record. It has been frustrating for sure, and the home record is baffling, but we have lost games with Diaz and McCormick in the lineup at home.

Personally, I think this season is the perfect storm of coming back to the pack. We have sustained deep playoff success for 6 straight years which has to be difficult to do. Many of our pitchers ramped up early in the spring for the WBC. We have been without 1/3 of our projected starting rotation (I include 6) pretty much all season, and these are guys you would slot 2-4, so pretty dependable. We did not roll out our projected starting 9 until last week. We lost 6 games in the schedule to both the Angels and A's which we would have likely won most of those games. The Mariners have been coming on for the last couple of years, and the Rangers have gone old-school Yankees to buy their way to contention. This was going to happen this year, I think, regardless of who wore the manager hat.
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
gambochaman said:

BadAggie said:

W said:

W said:

you know things have gone awry this season....

Dubon has 430 plate appearances / 408 at-bats

that was not the plan way back in spring training
after tonight's game....Dubon is up to 433 plate appearances

he had 179 plate appearances in April & May while Altuve recovered from the WBC injury.

since June 1st...Dubon has 254 plate appearances...when Altuve was active & healthy (except for a 2-week stretch over the all-star break)

didn't realize how much Dusty has been playing him...regardless of Altuve's injury status

Same for Meyers Julks and Maldy.

Dusty has cost this team 10 wins year to date.

My count is at 14
Do you really think this team would have the best record in baseball at this point? Better than Atlanta?
tjack16
AG
I dont think Dusty has cost us 10-14 games. Our pitching is too inconsistent for that.

But I do think it's at least 5 which would put us in 1st place by a semi-comfortable margin
redline248
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

gambochaman said:

BadAggie said:

W said:

W said:

you know things have gone awry this season....

Dubon has 430 plate appearances / 408 at-bats

that was not the plan way back in spring training
after tonight's game....Dubon is up to 433 plate appearances

he had 179 plate appearances in April & May while Altuve recovered from the WBC injury.

since June 1st...Dubon has 254 plate appearances...when Altuve was active & healthy (except for a 2-week stretch over the all-star break)

didn't realize how much Dusty has been playing him...regardless of Altuve's injury status

Same for Meyers Julks and Maldy.

Dusty has cost this team 10 wins year to date.

My count is at 14
Do you really think this team would have the best record in baseball at this point? Better than Atlanta?
Obviously, no one knows the other possible outcomes, but there are a handful of 1 run loss games, or extra inning losses where something Dusty did was pretty questionable. Even if you cut those predictions in half to only 5 or 7 more wins that Dusty cost, we'd be in first place.

14-12 in March, when Hensley was eating up a lot of ABs that could have gone to Yainer. There is no telling how different the record is in that month alone, but I would bet we have at least a couple more wins.

Or not putting Mauricio Dubon in the leadoff spot for 293 PAs and .621 OPS, setting the tone for so many poor offensive performances.

It's baseball and crazy things happen, but I think our record in extra innings (1-8) and 1-run games (17-18) are pretty good indicators of the manager's poor coaching.
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
That seems reasonable. I just keep looking at the overall win total, and I just have a hard time seeing more than 92-95 wins based on everything we have faced. If it was just the pitching injuries, or just the hitting injuries, maybe we could have been in the 97-100 range. Overcoming both is a tall task.
Mose Schrute
AG
So who is the front runner for Dusty's replacement next year?

Is Espada a shoe-in?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AlwaysNextYear89
AG
Mose Schrute said:

Is Espada a shoe-in?
Seems that is what everyone is assuming, but has he even been a candidate for other jobs?
Farmer1906
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Mose Schrute said:

Is Espada a shoe-in?
Seems that is what everyone is assuming, but has he even been a candidate for other jobs?

He has.
carpediem13
AG
I've wanted Espada to take over since Hinch left. Every offseason he's listed as a finalist for a job somewhere else, but hasn't left yet.

So is he unlucky, bad at the interview process, or is he holding out for the Astros job?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AlwaysNextYear89 said:

Mose Schrute said:

Is Espada a shoe-in?

He's interviewed but never been offered. I remember hearing that Cintron was an in house possibility too.
tjack16
AG
We all assume Espada but I wonder if it's better to just get somebody totally new. I can 100% see Espada being a Dusty disciple and taking his mindset and ways into 2024.

If you let Dana pick his own guy, then they will likely be on the same page in terms of lineup construction and analytics… which is something we've lacked since Lunhow/Hinch left.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
If the Brewers really move on from Counsel, I wonder if Dana will go after him
Eso si, Que es
BadAggie said:

So basically there's another guy on the roster who performs offensively at close to the same level as the guy on the Astros mentioned as a AL MVP contender (yes Shoehei-time will win it) and Dusty has elected to play him 67% of the time. Makes no fckking sense that Chas hasn't been the everyday center fielder.

I don't know guys, at this point I'll keep track of what's going on, but Astros seem to be about something other than winning lately. Not easy to spend much time following, not to mention spending $ on games and see dumbass crap like this. Maybe getting swept by a moribund Yankee team at home will wake up Crane if the Mariner series two weeks ago didn't.

As we know, Chas isn't the only high performing position player Dusty has held back. I'll leave it to a true stat head to figure out how many wins Dusty's resistance to playing Diaz and Chas every day has cost this team this season.

I said it back in June. I'll watch when Dusty puts in a proper line up. If the line up doesn't include Tucker,Yordan, Altuve, Bregman, Chaz, Diaz then I assume Dusty isn't interested in winning that game and I will spend my time elsewhere. I understand days off but I will go to Sugarland if I want to watch our triple A roster.
Mose Schrute
AG
tjack16 said:

We all assume Espada but I wonder if it's better to just get somebody totally new. I can 100% see Espada being a Dusty disciple and taking his mindset and ways into 2024.

If you let Dana pick his own guy, then they will likely be on the same page in terms of lineup construction and analytics… which is something we've lacked since Lunhow/Hinch left.

He's been here since 2018. Is there any reason to believe he's a Dusty Disciple thru and thru? Lineup construction included?
W
AG
at this point...Espada may have too much "Dusty stink" on him

and Dana doesn't want to risk hiring someone that might think the same way about players and such
tjack16
AG
Mose Schrute said:

tjack16 said:

He's been here since 2018. Is there any reason to believe he's a Dusty Disciple thru and thru? Lineup construction included?

I mean maybe not but that's 2 seasons under Hinch and 4 under Dusty. So I'm assuming he's learned more under Dusty than AJ.

My main point was making sure the GM and manager are on the same page… best way to do that might be to let the GM pick his own guy.
FrioAg 00
AG
One good thing about the schedule is that while we are playing the Rangers, Seattle has the Reds who are in a 4 team tie for a wildcard spot. And the rangers haven't been great on the road. Hopefully the Reds can take a game or two.
CoachAg19
AG
You have the opportunity where your two "weak links" in your lineup are a former MVP and an ALCS/WS MVP. It really isn't complicated at all.
Class of 2010
Mr.Bond
AG
Just fan stuff man
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

jetch17
AG
Any word on Yordan?
mwm
I resemble your last sentence.
Mose Schrute
AG
Fair point
maca1028
Fake line up time
tremble
AG
That makes me bitter as ****, it's so simple at the end of the day: play the best players.
jah003
S
Saw that tweet. That lineup has literally never been deployed. You'd think like a blind squirrel and ****… but no.
First Page Last Page
Page 2102 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.