***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,492,561 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotta be. The real interesting part is the 40 man move.

If parades survives again he's a magician
texasaggie2015
AG
I would assume so. Yuli was pretty freaking bad during the regular season last year. He sure came on at the right time.
Mr President Elect
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

There were several things Dusty and Click disagreed on and last year Dusty was actually right about most of it. That made Crane lose confidence in him. For example... Click wanted Contreras badly and was ready to overpay to get him. Dusty was firmly against it and hindsight 20/20 that was probably the right call.

Another big one is Yuli Gurriel. Click (and others in the front office) were going to leave him off the postseason roster. This made Dusty FURIOUS. Things got heated and eventually Click gave in and included Yuli on the postseason roster and look what happened.

I also want to bump this part of it. I'm not a Dusty guy by any means- but I do like to give credit where credit is due. He may not make the lineups in the postseason, but Yuli was huge for us.. and if it wasn't for Dusty, he wouldn't have been on the roster.

Was it luck? Maybe. Who knows. I just thought it was interesting when I heard about it.
I do remember him sounding disgruntled about getting Mancini and Vaz and neither did squat in the postseason. I was anti-Yuli but we didn't really have a good alternative come postseason.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'd like to see Salazar as the extra player added personally. Fully release Diaz from purgatory
Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

surely Julks gets the boot today for Brantley right?

I would think so. Whoever it is can be back in a day or two when rosters expand.
I just read Singleton would go to waivers if we send him down. Has to be Julks.
texasaggie2015
AG
Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

There were several things Dusty and Click disagreed on and last year Dusty was actually right about most of it. That made Crane lose confidence in him. For example... Click wanted Contreras badly and was ready to overpay to get him. Dusty was firmly against it and hindsight 20/20 that was probably the right call.

Another big one is Yuli Gurriel. Click (and others in the front office) were going to leave him off the postseason roster. This made Dusty FURIOUS. Things got heated and eventually Click gave in and included Yuli on the postseason roster and look what happened.

I also want to bump this part of it. I'm not a Dusty guy by any means- but I do like to give credit where credit is due. He may not make the lineups in the postseason, but Yuli was huge for us.. and if it wasn't for Dusty, he wouldn't have been on the roster.

Was it luck? Maybe. Who knows. I just thought it was interesting when I heard about it.
I do remember him sounding disgruntled about getting Mancini and Vaz and neither did squat in the postseason. I was anti-Yuli but we didn't really have a good alternative come postseason.
You know what's funny.. you're right, but they somehow had their biggest moments when it mattered the most. Mancini had that fantastic play that just might have saved the World Series on that sharp ground ball by Schwarber. And then Vasquez had a huge RBI base hit that provided a big insurance run in game six.

Not disagreeing with you because I think about this often. But who would have thought the biggest Mancini moment in an Astros uniform would be with his glove?
AgLA06
AG
Whos to say Dusty doesn't play him instead of Diaz.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
AgLA06 said:

Dana Brown.
I do believe with some of Dusty's comments lately that some of the micro managing has begun and he doesn't like it.

But at the same time with Brantley coming back while I know he isn't going to play daily it does cut into Diaz being able to DH a little. Which means big brain will sit him and Salazar wouldn't be needed
AustinCountyAg
IMO red sox fans in general are much more knowledgeable and appreciative of good baseball compared to yankee fans. Maybe it is because the Sox struggled for years to get over the hump while the yankees just bought wins? either way I enjoy Boston much more than NY.
Mr President Elect
AG
AgLA06 said:

At this point I think we are past this. Diaz wasn't hitting nearly like he is now when we carried 3 catchers earlier. Chas has been bumped up to an everyday play, slower than most would have liked and I think Diaz is about at that point with Dusty finally. Maybe a 5/7 day player at worst.
JDUB08AG
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

IMO red sox fans in general are much more knowledgeable and appreciative of good baseball compared to yankee fans. Maybe it is because the Sox struggled for years to get over the hump while the yankees just bought wins? either way I enjoy Boston much more than NY.

People from NY are just insufferable period.
BadAggie
AG
Last night before Cora opted to throw BP:

Runner on 3rd, McCormick called out for third out on slide into first that was close and looked like it warranted a challenge. Nothing from Dusty. Back up your player and hey you were only ahead by one run.

Top of next inning, Javier had already been struggling, nearing 100 pitches, and walks lead off batter. Dusty leaves him in and immediately gives up 2 run HR to Duvall.

It's easy to say who cares they won. Two non decisions resulted in potentially a three run swing in the game in favor of the opponent.

RED AG 98
AG
De La Cruz again. He's so fun to watch. One of if not the most exciting player in baseball right now.

Mr President Elect
AG
BadAggie said:

Last night before Cora opted to throw BP:

Runner on 3rd, McCormick called out for third out on slide into first that was close and looked like it warranted a challenge. Nothing from Dusty. Back up your player and hey you were only ahead by one run.

Top of next inning, Javier had already been struggling, nearing 100 pitches, and walks lead off batter. Dusty leaves him in and immediately gives up 2 run HR to Duvall.

It's easy to say who cares they won. Two non decisions resulted in potentially a three run swing in the game in favor of the opponent.

1. While technically challenges come from Dusty, someone else is watching and letting us know if it was worth the challenge, I don't blame that on Dusty, and not sure I ever saw the replay to know if it would have been worth it. With that being said, there have been a few non-challenges this year that have been head-scratchers. One with Dana in the booth where he sounded frustrated we didn't challenge either.

2. Javier always struggles, need to try to save the bp some. I was fine with him trying to get as much out of his starter as possible and not turn it into a bp game in the 4th. I know most on here were not though.
BadAggie
AG
Maybe next time Cora doesn't leave in the double A pitcher to eat the L and save the BP

These aren't the first times Dusty has been asleep at the wheel and reactive in his Astros tenure, not to mention burning through arms and the constant lineup shuffling.
texasaggie2015
AG
I will say, based on everything I've heard about Javier's struggles, I'm shocked we haven't had him skip more starts. I can't figure that one out.
Beau Holder
AG
BadAggie said:

Maybe next time Cora doesn't leave in the double A pitcher to eat the L and save the BP

These aren't the first times Dusty has been asleep at the wheel and reactive in his Astros tenure, not to mention burning through arms and the constant lineup shuffling.
Chrundle the Great
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

You know what's funny.. you're right, but they somehow had their biggest moments when it mattered the most. Mancini had that fantastic play that just might have saved the World Series on that sharp ground ball by Schwarber. And then Vasquez had a huge RBI base hit that provided a big insurance run in game six.

Not disagreeing with you because I think about this often. But who would have thought the biggest Mancini moment in an Astros uniform would be with his glove?

Vazquez also caught 9 innings of a no hitter; I'd say that's credible squatting.
Ag_07
AG
So he's either burning through arms or leaving guys in too long.

The burning through arms is more of pitchers struggling.

Hell Javier has not made it through 5 in 6 of his last 11 starts. That's really bad. That alone will strain a BP.
tjack16
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Vazquez also caught 9 innings of a no hitter; I'd say that's credible squatting.

They also had 3 combined RBI in game 3 of the ALCS that put us up 5-0
Boiling Denim
Pulled from Reddit:

Duvall is now 9 for 11 against fastballs with 4 HRs and 2 doubles in his last 4 games against us and 2-9 against breaking pitches with 5 strikeouts and 4 ground balls, 2 of which snuck by the infield for hits.
Deluxe
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Pulled from Reddit:

Duvall is now 9 for 11 against fastballs with 4 HRs and 2 doubles in his last 4 games against us and 2-9 against breaking pitches with 5 strikeouts and 4 ground balls, 2 of which snuck by the infield for hits.

He's now 1-1 with 1 HR on fastballs 2 feet above the zone
Beat40
Deluxe said:

Boiling Denim said:

Pulled from Reddit:

He's now 1-1 with 1 HR on fastballs 2 feet above the zone
Those 2 feet above the zone stats are wild.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Danwell Home said:

Do you think Whitley will ever be called up by the Astros and pitch meaningful innings?
Nope. I think that ship has just about sailed. No intel- just my personal opinion.
He seems like Nuke Laloosh if Nuke never got out of the "what does he know, I'm the one driving a Porsche" phase.
BadAggie
AG
Ah, Whitley, what could shoulda maybe have been.

But then the Astros pulled starting pitchers out of the Dominican for $10K each.

It all evens out
The Porkchop Express
AG
I guess my thing about Dusty vs. TexAgs is that it cracks me up that some people think that all being a baseball manager is involves looking up stats on a spreadsheet and filling out a lineup accordingly.

I covered less than 20 MLB games in my time as a sportswriter, but probably between 50-75 college games and several hundred high school games over more than a decade. The 24-hour a day juggling act that a coach / manager has to do to successfully navigate his own team, his bosses, the fans, the umpires, injuries, egos, and every other stakeholder involved is a job most of us would quit after about 10 minutes.

Someone mentioned about the old guard of fans, which I'm obviously in. Most years, I didn't even think about the Astros having a chance to make the playoffs past April. Finding individual moments and games to celebrate and remember was about as good as it got, and being thankful to see guys who gave their all for the H, even though we kept on falling short.

When you go so long without a winner, it's easier to not get down on the team when they aren't quite the 800-pound gorilla for a few months. But all those teams in the 80s and 90s that played 162 and that was it? I would have paid a lot of money to see them "struggle" the way the 2023 Astros have.

I don't begrudge anyone for being a recent fan of the Astros. Who wouldn't want to root for a winner? But eventually these days will wane, and a lot of fans will vanish with them. I'm not really interested in lecturing anyone about etiquette on a message board, but I'll advise you to try the same 10-second rule that we have in place for our daughter, but in text form instead of speaking - give it 10 seconds to consider how that post will make you sound when you tell Dusty to **** his own ******* because he left Javier in for 2 batters too many.

I understand that as fans we tend to think the coach is a fumbduck in most occurrences. Lord knows there was a 5-7 year stretch there when I was actively rooting for an overhead speaker at Reliant Stadium to break free and incapacitate Bill O'Brien during a Texans' game, but the name calling and the constant F8CK yous is some Arlington-level immaturity.

I know we're better than that.

Prosperdick
AG
Mr President Elect said:

texasaggie2015 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Well Mancini had a game saving stop playing 1B that saved at least one run and Vaz had an RBI single that took the game from 3-1 to 4-1 which was HUGE since it meant when the Phillies got a guy on in the 9th Bryce couldn't tie it up with one swing.

ETA Nevermind, Ketch said it before I did.
astros4545
AG
Yep

Dusty was ahead of the sabermetrics when he was starting Niko Goodrum in the 3 hole

Pure genius
The Porkchop Express
AG
astros4545 said:

Yep

Dusty was ahead of the sabermetrics when he was starting Niko Goodrum in the 3 hole

Pure genius
Thanks for making my point for me.
JDUB08AG
AG
At least 1-4 is locked and loaded. It took way too long for that, but I think its pretty fair to say there is no more tinkering going on there (minus an off day).
Beat40
I literally love when Altuve gets national love.

Also, I know some don't like Ford much on this thread, but I really enjoy him:

bearkatag15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
The Porkchop Express
AG

Beat40
bearkatag15 said:

6 doubles and a triple. I think the HRs will come.
AggiEE
The Porkchop Express said:

astros4545 said:

Yep

Pure genius
Thanks for making my point for me.

"Well you know, Dusty has a hard job, like keeping Maldy happy and in the lineup. He doesn't run around the bases much, so no need to rest him. Lots of 4D chess he has to do, day in and day out. You'll thank him later"
First Page Last Page
Page 2000 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.