***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,491,711 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

According to ESPN ticker - Astros have scored over 10 runs 5 times in August - most in MLB. The curse is over - keep mashing!!!!
Indeed. Hot bats are hot

edit: It would only let me add 10 players, so I excluded Jake, but in this same time frame he is -
.222/.250/.389, .274 wOBA, 72 wRC+ in 56 PA. 1.8% BB (yikes) and 26.8% K, .270 babip

2nd edit: most of Abreu's stats were before he took time off. Only 4 games after the injury are figured into his above stats. And he's come back swinging it
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

According to ESPN ticker - Astros have scored over 10 runs 5 times in August - most in MLB. The curse is over - keep mashing!!!!
We have scored double digits runs 15x this year. 8 have come since July 15th.

We have averaged 6.7 Runs per game since Aug 6th

We have a Run Differential of 48 since July 29th. (96 for the year)

We have already scored 21 more runs in August than we have in any other month.

The offense is back!
Post removed:
by user
texasaggie2015
AG

This is good to see.

I've been told several times that with the way the Astros develop pitchers, if they have moderate success in AAA, they expect them to be successful in the big leagues. Take guys like JP France for example. His AAA numbers didn't necessarily blow anyone away. Jose Urquidy is another guy.

Sometimes you'll see guys who are top prospects or highly thought of have inflated numbers. That's because the Astros are tweaking things like arm angle, pitch usage, etc. The Astros aren't worried about the numbers as much as the mechanical improvements. The guys who respond well to the coaching are the ones who go on to have success. This was a big reason Forrest Whitley never worked out.
redline248
AG
Holy sh-t I totally skipped Pena! oops

.419 babip!!
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Last 30

AustinCountyAg
Silent For Too Long said:

We win 13 to 5 and half the post game comments are *****ing about Dusty.

Ya'lls irrational hatred for that man really knows no bounds.
It's not "irrational" at all. He deserves all of the criticism considering his bonehead lineups and unwillingness to play certain players have put them in this situation of fighting for a playoff spot.
Beau Holder
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This is good to see.

I've been told several times that with the way the Astros develop pitchers, if they have moderate success in AAA, they expect them to be successful in the big leagues. Take guys like JP France for example. His AAA numbers didn't necessarily blow anyone away. Jose Urquidy is another guy.

Sometimes you'll see guys who are top prospects or highly thought of have inflated numbers. That's because the Astros are tweaking things like arm angle, pitch usage, etc. The Astros aren't worried about the numbers as much as the mechanical improvements. The guys who respond well to the coaching are the ones who go on to have success. This was a big reason Forrest Whitley never worked out.

Bring him up
redline248
AG
Let's just all take another moment to bask in the white hot glory of Jose Altuve. He is the human torch.
RED AG 98
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Last 30

Tough to see how 1-9 could be more obvious than that
Chef Elko
AG
Do you think Whitley will ever be called up by the Astros and pitch meaningful innings?
texasaggie2015
AG
Astros' Colton Gordon finds full-circle moment in promotion (astrosfuture.com)

Colton Gordon is another interesting prospect. The Astros have spent a lot of time tweaking his pitch mix and mechanics. He's never going to be a high strikeout guy but he has the best control of anyone in the system and will induce a lot of weak contact. I think he projects as a solid #4 starter.. maybe a #3 if he can develop a strikeout pitch.
texasaggie2015
AG
Danwell Home said:

Do you think Whitley will ever be called up by the Astros and pitch meaningful innings?
Nope. I think that ship has just about sailed. No intel- just my personal opinion.
Texaggie7nine

Dusty is the Carole Baskin to these Stro Exotics
7nine
Chef Elko
AG
To the Phillies it is!
AustinCountyAg
The Porkchop Express said:

RangerRick9211 said:

Eh, no drama to add here.

But I'm in Boston for work and have tickets tonight. I've never been to Fenway and stohhhked.
My favorite thing about Boston is the street vendors outside the stadium selling "Yankees Suck" T-shirts even though they were playing the Mariners the weekend I went to a couple of games there a long time ago.
They sell those t-shirts but we were there for a Sox/Yanks series last year and they were selling Yanks on field caps in there own team store. lol.....gotta make that $
Beat40
AustinCountyAg said:

It's not "irrational" at all. He deserves all of the criticism considering his bonehead lineups and unwillingness to play certain players have put them in this situation of fighting for a playoff spot.
Except after a 13-5 win in which Yordan went 4-4 with a HR and Altuve hits a cycle, it's annoying as hell.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Everybody stay calm, but I think we get the lineup of death today.

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Alvarez LF
Tucker RF
Diaz C
Brantley DH
McCormick CF
Singleton/Abreu 1B
Pena SS

If this happens today, ooooooooh boy.

I'm not usually a fan of the Thanos infinity stones/gauntlet meme in relation to the Astros because Thanos ends up losing, but it does really feel like the Astros have been gathering infinity stones this season. Adding piece by piece until they assume their final form.

GLF
redline248
AG
Beat40 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Except after a 13-5 win in which Yordan went 4-4 with a HR and Altuve hits a cycle, it's annoying as hell.
Put the full thing in context. No one was complaining about anything...until the post that indicated Dusty was thinking about sitting one of the hottest hitters in the game b/c he ran around too much and might need to rest, while in the midst of a tight division race.
W
AG
should be another interesting matchup tonight

France vs. Bello

J.P. was shelled by the Red Sox last week

Bello shut down the Astros last week (although he did allow 9 hits)

which pitcher will repeat his performance...or which pitcher will make adjustments
Beat40
redline248 said:

Beat40 said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Put the full thing in context. No one was complaining about anything...until the post that indicated Dusty was thinking about sitting one of the hottest hitters in the game b/c he ran around too much and might need to rest, while in the midst of a tight division race.
I honestly don't care the reason. No one even verified that either.

Again, it's annoying as hell after a 13-5 win in which Yordan went 4-4 and Altuve hits a cycle to trudge through 20 posts complaining, again, about Dusty.

I don't like a lot of things he's done this season. I'd like to be able to enjoy the fun wins for more than 2 hours after a game. Gotten to the point where it's really only fun to read the thread during the day before the game.

With that, I'm done talking about it the rest of the season because I'm just adding to it. Everybody just do your thing.
Mr President Elect
AG
Beau Holder said:

Not to mention we now have it on good authority that in the postseason, the people who value wins and losses over their own feelings have a controlling stake in setting the lineup and strategy.
Wait, did this come out? I don't read every page of this thread and must have missed this.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Beau Holder said:

Not to mention we now have it on good authority that in the postseason, the people who value wins and losses over their own feelings have a controlling stake in setting the lineup and strategy.
Wait, did this come out? I don't read every page of this thread and must have missed this.

Ketch explained how they do it for the postseason. They get into a room and hash it out. GM has final say. Dusty has reference this meeting before. I think this is a common practice for the postseason. I think Talkin Yanks mentioned something similar in the past for NYY.
Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Last 30

Damn, didn't realize Dubon was slashing like this, lately. Can he play 1st?
Jet Black
Play Diaz instead of Maldonado all season and your likely currently a top the division.
Mr President Elect
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mr President Elect said:

Beau Holder said:

Ketch explained how they do it for the postseason. They get into a room and hash it out. GM has final say. Dusty has reference this meeting before. I think this is a common practice for the postseason. I think Talkin Yanks mentioned something similar in the past for NYY.
It's not so much about whether other teams do it or not, it is about how different and better our lineups are during the postseason.

I guess I'll start being more critical of Dusty along with everyone on this thread.
Mr President Elect
AG
Jet Black said:

Play Diaz instead of Maldonado all season and your likely currently a top the division.
To be fair, Diaz looked pretty lost at the plate to start the season. Obviously, not anymore though. Hopeful for a Diaz / Framber day soon; I think it is about time.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Dusty makes the lineups during the regular season. Dana is responsible for roster moves but the lineup construction is 100% Dusty's responsibility. The front office can step in and meet with Dusty (and they have) to tell him what they want.. but ultimately, it's Dusty's job. That's just how it's structured. I can't speak for other clubs, but I know that's how it's done here.

It's different during the postseason. Dusty, the GM and others will meet before every game and discuss the lineup. If they're unable to agree, the front office has the final say. This is what I've been told at least. I can try to get some clarification, but I at the very least know Dusty is not solely in charge of the lineup in the postseason.

I also know that Dana has not been pleased with the way Dusty has managed this season. Dana wants his guy as manager and I expect that to happen next year. Jim Crane has all the respect in the world for both of these guys, but I expect him to defer to Dana and let him choose who he wants managing the team. Obviously, this is based off what I've heard and I'm not guaranteeing anything. Dana is known for two things... 1. His ability to draft and develop guys who move quickly through the system and 2. His fiery personality. He gets what he wants.

Bump for the full details.
Beat40
Team is loose, boys. I think September is going to be fun.

AustinCountyAg
to be fair it is a lot of *****ing about Dusty before the games as well.

I agree that it gets old after a while. I think most just want the lineup of death every night and the constant Dusty talk would die down a lot.
texasaggie2015
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

There were several things Dusty and Click disagreed on and last year Dusty was actually right about most of it. That made Crane lose confidence in him. For example... Click wanted Contreras badly and was ready to overpay to get him. Dusty was firmly against it and hindsight 20/20 that was probably the right call.

Another big one is Yuli Gurriel. Click (and others in the front office) were going to leave him off the postseason roster. This made Dusty FURIOUS. Things got heated and eventually Click gave in and included Yuli on the postseason roster and look what happened.

I also want to bump this part of it. I'm not a Dusty guy by any means- but I do like to give credit where credit is due. He may not make the lineups in the postseason, but Yuli was huge for us.. and if it wasn't for Dusty, he wouldn't have been on the roster.

Was it luck? Maybe. Who knows. I just thought it was interesting when I heard about it.
AustinCountyAg
surely Julks gets the boot today for Brantley right?
AustinCountyAg
if they were going to leave off Yuli last yr was the plan for trey to start every game at 1b?
carpediem13
AG
It's the only move that makes sense to me.

Yordan gets majority of LF starts with Brantley DH. When Yordan DH, McCormick is in LF, Meyers/Dubon are in CF, and Brantley is off.

Just my guess.
Farmer1906
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

surely Julks gets the boot today for Brantley right?

I would think so. Whoever it is can be back in a day or two when rosters expand.
First Page Last Page
Page 1999 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.