***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,476,187 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
maca1028
How long do you want to ignore this user?
texasaggie2015 said:

He's not young. He had a major surgery. He's been out of baseball for over a year. He's a season veteran and the definition of a professional. If he thinks he's not ready, I'll take his word for it. I don't see why this is so hard for some of you to understand.

This board has really gone downhill.

Totally understandable but at the end of the day, a real GM wouldn't have resigned him. It's dead money at this point. I am coming to terms with the fact that Crane's offseason decisions is what could ultimately cost us this season.
W
AG
Brantley must be afraid of either embarrassing himself on the field...

or endangering a possible contract with a different team next year

kudos to his agent...talked the Astros into paying his client $12 MM for nothing
texasaggie2015
AG
I can assure you it's none of these things. He's been away from baseball for a long time. He's just not quite ready. He knows his body. That's literally all there is to it. There's no conspiracy and he's certainly not a ***** like some on here have claimed. I can't believe I even have to type that.

I can also assure you that nobody (not Brantley, not his agent, not Crane) knew he would have as many setbacks in his recovery. Sometimes things just happen and it's not anyone's fault.
JDUB08AG
AG
Brantley doesn't seem like the sandbagging type of guy.

Crane made some poor moves, but we all know who the primary culprit of the season is. We should be at least 5 games better based on lineup structure alone.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ags #1 said:

Lol!!! Most of us are married. Aint nobody getting laid
14 years in here, kids are at a slumber party, please note I didn't post at all during the game
texasaggie2015
AG
I can't believe people are even accusing Mike of that.
Ags #1
AG
M's in first place
Tibbers
I'm not sure what's more impressive, the run the M's have been on or the tailspining Rangers.
BadAggie
AG
A lot of 20-20 hindsight is spewed in here about signing Jose Abreu. That was not some kind of reach. I also remember the daily btchhing last season about Yuli and people looking forward to getting an upgrade in the off-season after the Mancini trade failed to have an impact. Good on Crane for spending the dough to bring in Abreu. It's a strange complaint from fans that an owner ponied up to address a position of need. So it hasn't worked out as thought, that happens.

BadAggie
AG
We'll see how the Mariners fare as the hunted instead of the hunter. So they racked up a bunch of wins against the Royals, White Sox and the slumping Astros.
Tibbers
They are the hottest team in baseball. Apart from playing the Orioles who are just a simply better team, they have beaten everyone they've faced.
BadAggie
AG
Which is the Royals White Sox and slumping Astros
Tibbers
Good teams beat the teams you're supposed to beat, but I get your meaning. Looking at the rest of their schedule they have quite an easy one going forward, but the last week of the year they end on playing the Rangers and the Astros. I really think they way they are playing, they are going to have a big cushion going into that important final week.
W
AG
most people agreed with the Abreu signing

but most people are surprised that it's taken the Astros so long to realize he's not the same player in 2023
BadAggie
AG
If Brantley is focused on next contract then it would behoove him to get back to the Show asap.

Not sure what the selfish angle is on his asking for more time for rehab in the minors. Also not in line with what we know about him.

Really need to get Julks off the Major league roster. He's a Dusty favorite and so he's going to get ABs no matter what until he is not available.

Astros are straight up slumping right now. There's no path forward other than grinding through it.
W
AG
the Mariners got off to a slow start...and were 12-16 at the end of April

since May 1st...Seattle is 60-40

May is also when Bryce Miller joined the rotation
Tibbers
Their starting pitching and bullpen is legit. Provided they get timely hitting, they are a tough team for anyone. Plus their defense is top tier.
BCEDAg
AG
Dieeker was right about what he said about players only meetings.
tjack16
AG
At this point I'm just accepting that the mariners will win the division. I'm just worried about making the playoffs now
Dies Irae
texasaggie2015 said:

He's not young. He had a major surgery. He's been out of baseball for over a year. He's a season veteran and the definition of a professional. If he thinks he's not ready, I'll take his word for it. I don't see why this is so hard for some of you to understand.

This board has really gone downhill.

Literally who cares. He's okay to hit in Sugarland but not in Houston? He has 2-4 months of time left here, do we just wait for him to say he's ready? How about "we're paying you $12,000,000 if you can hit you can hit, get your ass in the majors"
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
One thing is for certain. We need to make some moves in the offseason for pitching. You can't have too much pitching as we proved in 2022, the Braves proved in 2021 and the nationals in 2019.

Elite pitching wins championships. We can't have an overworked bullpen again in 2024
Big Al 1992
AG
Still good chance to finish road trip 4-2, then win NY series, then play the most important series of the season. You sweep Texas you're in - win the series still prob in as a WC - lose that series you're out. Texas and Seattle play each other enough it will probably come out even.

Framber is throwing good. JV is JV. Altuve is looking like October Altuve. Alvarez will get hot - should've had a homer yesterday. Need someone to step up in bullpen, need France to give us a couple good outings and eat innings. Still some things probably won't get fixed and we'll have to battle through that - Abreu and Peña not contributing to lineup, Dusty mismanaging the lineup, shaky bullpen. Just win.
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Still good chance to finish road trip 4-2, then win NY series, then play the most important series of the season. You sweep Texas you're in - win the series still prob in as a WC - lose that series you're out. Texas and Seattle play each other enough it will probably come out even.

Framber is throwing good. JV is JV. Altuve is looking like October Altuve. Alvarez will get hot - should've had a homer yesterday. Need someone to step up in bullpen, need France to give us a couple good outings and eat innings. Still some things probably won't get fixed and we'll have to battle through that - Abreu and Peña not contributing to lineup, Dusty mismanaging the lineup, shaky bullpen. Just win.

4-2 would be nice but our pitching doesn't line up well this road trip. Last night and Sunday are our best pitching advantages.

3-3 would be good IMO
Boiling Denim
We now have a losing record with Maldy catching against teams not named the Athletics at 43-44
MisterFurious
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I caved and busted open the whiskey. I love all you dorks. But I hate sports. Why do I care so much about something so dumb?

It's so stupid, and I've given up trying to figure out why I give a crap. We just do.
BadAggie
AG
Is there another OF at Sugar Land besides Julks who's worth a shot while Uncle Mike rehabs?

tjack16
AG
BadAggie said:

Is there another OF at Sugar Land besides Julks who's worth a shot while Uncle Mike rehabs?

Justin Dirden was who was being hyped to us all spring training and we never got him.
spadilly
S
I'm a big fan of front white panel hats (like the Jays, O's) and would love for the Astros to have a version.

Thoughts? I would much prefer this over the all blue/orange bill hats we wore last night.
(Yes, I know the blue is too light, but it's what I could find in the kids supply drawer. And I don't do photoshop, so this is the best I could do to get it out of my head and onto paper)

bearkatag15
AG
spadilly said:

I'm a big fan of front white panel hats (like the Jays, O's) and would love for the Astros to have a version.

Thoughts? I would much prefer this over the all blue/orange bill hats we wore last night.
(Yes, I know the blue is too light, but it's what I could find in the kids supply drawer. And I don't do photoshop, so this is the best I could do to get it out of my head and onto paper)

My son has this hat. Swap out the logo to the standard logo and it's exactly what you are looking for
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Panama Red
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

then play the most important series of the season. You sweep Texas you're in - win the series still prob in as a WC - lose that series you're out. .

This seems a bit short sighted and over dramatic.

Even if we take just 1 that series, we aren't missing the playoffs.
Boiling Denim
It's been 20 years since the Mariners have been in first place this late in the year

We'll see if their nerves hold up down the final stretch
linkdude
AG
lots of teams struggling or treading water
redline248
AG
linkdude said:

lots of teams struggling or treading water
5-4 would be quite a bit better than 3-6.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1937 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.