***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,493,810 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Alvarez is healthy enough to play today but couldn't at least pinch hit last night and just stand there, looking imposing, and potentially drawing a walk? Heck, tell Yordan, just look for a fastball close to middle middle and if you don't get it, hopefully you can draw a walk.

Nope, Donkey had to go with 1-42, which is a .023 batting average.
Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I still long for a Hinch reunion.
I would definitely be in favor of this!
Dies Irae
I've got a strange question for you guys. Let's say Yainier is DH'ing and maldy gets hurt and you have to put Yainier in at Catcher; the Pitcher is up first the next inning. If you pinch hit for the pitcher, the pinch hitter has to face at least 3 batters the next inning, correct?
Dies Irae
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Hinch was the bomb. Bring in Luhnow as well.

I blame the entire sign stealing scandal on Scott Servais and Alex Cora; mainly because they're my least favorite former astros, along with Rat Fiers.
Prosperdick
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

I would too...absolutely. Not sure what Dana thinks.
Post removed:
by user
Dies Irae
Bregxit said:

Dies Irae said:

I've got a strange question for you guys. Let's say Yainier is DH'ing and maldy gets hurt and you have to put Yainier in at Catcher; the Pitcher is up first the next inning. If you pinch hit for the pitcher, the pinch hitter has to face at least 3 batters the next inning, correct?

No.
That's a relief.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So reading how it went down with Click and Crane eventually growing to not fully trust him I think it makes sense why that probably won't ever happen.

Would love to see it but I've just accepted that that ship has sailed.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Is Julks playing just a passive-aggressive jab by Dusty to tell Jeremy Pena how crappy a season he's having?
BadAggie
AG
One last hurrah for Corey today. Maybe he'll get a hit!
Chef Elko
AG
Prosperdick said:

So Alvarez is healthy enough to play today but couldn't at least pinch hit last night and just stand there, looking imposing, and potentially drawing a walk? Heck, tell Yordan, just look for a fastball close to middle middle and if you don't get it, hopefully you can draw a walk.

Nope, Donkey had to go with 1-42, which is a .023 batting average.
THIS! It's about putting pressure on a guy who is getting tagged with the bottom of the lineup, threw a lot of pitches and is about to completely blow the game for his team slipping out of the playoff race.

You put in Yordan and the dude's stress level goes WAY up. He walks him and the lineup turns over to Altuve with bases loaded. If Yordan cant do it, oh well, that's the best shot you'll ever have at a game like this.
BadAggie
AG
Speculation/Armchair Psychiatry

Dusty views how he's handled Diaz and Chas this season as making them earn their everyday spots. Obviously it looks a lot like limiting productive players who are producing regardless.

Dusty views how he's handled Julks as giving a young hometown player a chance.

rosco511
AG
Dusty's love for Straw, Julks, and Maldy is unmatched.
jetch17
AG
Dirtnap ag said:

I've got 4 extra tickets to todays game Section 103 first row Crawford Boxes. 60$ beer money takes them all, Zelle or can meet outside around 12:45. Can transfer in the ballpark app, text 8 three two-four seven seven-1251

Awesome deal - I'll be one section over in 102 … wish I woulda waited now!
Beat40
W said:

I wish Machete had more self-awareness

when you have a .568 OPS and OPS+ of 56...and lead the league in passed balls...

you tell your manager to play the other guy

How do you know he hasn't?

I believe it was in 2021, Altuve was in a bad slump and he asked Dusty to move him down in the lineup. Dusty didn't do it because it's Altuve.

Point is it's possible Maldy has set aside his ego and mentioned Diaz should catch more, but Dusty isn't doing it because he trusts Maldy more.
BadAggie
AG
Beat40 said:

W said:

when you have a .568 OPS and OPS+ of 56...and lead the league in passed balls...

I believe it was in 2021, Altuve was in a bad slump and he asked Dusty to move him down in the lineup. Dusty didn't do it because it's Altuve.

Point is it's possible Maldy has set aside his ego and mentioned Diaz should catch more, but Dusty didn't doing it because he truss Maldy more.

Maldy's OPS v lefties is now .876

Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Farmer1906 said:

So reading how it went down with Click and Crane eventually growing to not fully trust him I think it makes sense why that probably won't ever happen.

Would love to see it but I've just accepted that that ship has sailed.
Same. He just seemed to balance the analytics, personal/players side, & gut instincts.
07ag
AG
Blue star for the info dump!
https://ts.la/eric59704
AggiEE
Beat40 said:

W said:

Point is it's possible Maldy has set aside his ego and mentioned Diaz should catch more, but Dusty isn't doing it because he trusts Maldy more.

Maldy is not Altuve

Maldy is Maldy. A career Maldonado line hitter who runs like he's got two pianos strapped to his back

We traded for a superior Vasquez last year and Dusty was still mostly playing Maldy.

This year, we have arguably the best catcher in the league, and he gets 1 out of every 6 starts, to play Maldy instead
linkdude
AG
Beat40
Bregxit said:

Dies Irae said:

No.

This would be an entertaining rule change though. Corey Julks PHs and then has to go to the bump for three batters.
Frok
AG
linkdude said:

I still don't think he's coming back. Why does he need so much time off between games? My guess is he's sore.
Farmer1906
AG
No bueno.
AustinCountyAg
W said:

Dusty is just daring Dana to fire him
I said this yesterday. Dusty is doing this **** outa spite because he thinks he's untouchable and knows more than everyone. He's playing with fire and it's pissing me off. Dana/Crane should fire his ass now before he ****s around and they miss the playoffs
Beat40
AggiEE said:

Beat40 said:

W said:

Maldy is not Altuve

Maldy is Maldy. A career Maldonado line hitter who runs like he's got two pianos strapped to his back

We traded for a superior Vasquez last year and Dusty was still mostly playing Maldy.

This year, we have arguably the best catcher in the league, and he gets 1 out of every 6 starts, to play Maldy instead

You missed the whole point. The poster I was responding to said Maldy needs more self-awareness and tell Dusty to play Diaz over him.

My point was how does that poster know Maldy hasn't? Altuve was an example of someone who did and Dusty made the decision to not move him down in the order.

Maldy certainly could have already told Dusty Diaz needs to catch more, but Dusty makes the lineup, trusts Maldy more, and therefore plays Maldy more.

My other point is stop blaming Maldy for his playing time. The blame is squarely on Dusty. Don't let his performance and the fact he's playing over Diaz turn into some narrative he's not a team guy. That's what the poster was insulating, that ultimately Maldy isn't a team guy if he doesn't tell Dusty to play Diaz at catcher more.
texasaggie2015
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

W said:

Dusty is just daring Dana to fire him
I said this yesterday. Dusty is doing this **** outa spite because he thinks he's untouchable and knows more than everyone. He's playing with fire and it's pissing me off. Dana/Crane should fire his ass now before he ****s around and they miss the playoffs
Ehhh.. I don't think this is true. Dusty has always done things his way. That's sort of what he's known for. My friend who is a huge Cubs fan warned me about this back in 2020. I think this is the first year the Astros haven't been good enough to easily overcome his way of doing things.

There's a reason he's been fired at every stop he's made. And he's had some really, really good teams. It took until last year to win a championship.

The Astros have always won in spite of Dusty Baker. Not because of Dusty Baker.

He's a great man. You'll never hear a bad thing about his character and I would love to have a beer with the guy. But it's time to move on after this season is over.
Wabs
AG
linkdude said:

Seriously??
AggiEE
Beat40 said:

AggiEE said:

Beat40 said:

W said:

Maldy is not Altuve

You missed the whole point. The poster I was responding to said Maldy needs more self-awareness and tell Dusty to play Diaz over him.

My point was how does that poster know Maldy hasn't? Altuve was an example of someone who did and Dusty made the decision to not move him down in the order.

What you just said has nothing to do do with the conversation.

Maldy certainly could have already told Dusty Diaz needs to catch more, but Dusty makes the lineup, trusts Maldy more, and therefore plays Maldy more.

Maldy doesn't need to just fold over and say

"Ok coach, I'm here for you. I'll play 80% of the time like you want. "

Dusty's position on an Altuve slump is defensible. His position on Maldy isn't. It's incompetence

And I don't think Maldy wants to play less either. He's got a huge ego and probably wants to play more himself than he actually wants the team to win
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
linkdude said:

I don't want to jump the gun and say "I told you so" because it very well could just be a couple extra days.

But I always felt like it was a stretch from the day he began his rehab assignment. Everything I was told indicated there was just no shot. Jose Cruz even told Farmer (or Farmer's family, I can't remember) that he wasn't coming back.

The whole thing is just so weird. But again, maybe he's just a little sore and they want to make sure it's nothing more than expected soreness. Let's hope that's the case!
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Now that's funny timing...
BadAggie
AG
Wabs said:

linkdude said:

Seriously??

Not sure why he can't 'rehab' with the team at this point.

texasaggie2015
AG
Because if it flares up and he can't go for a couple days it's a waste of a roster space unless you want to shut him down for 10 whole days again.
tjack16
AG
Important game today. Chance to gain a half game on seattle and take the division lead if Minnesota wins
MAROON
AG
Julks starting? He should be the last freaking guy on the bench today and only used if we get blown out and need a position player to pitch. FML
First Page Last Page
Page 1908 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.