***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,493,071 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
3B Paul 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I would be ok if they re-signed Maldy to a one year deal. He can be JVs OR Framber's personal catcher (and only one) and can be a mentor to Diaz on how to prep for and call games as well as how to talk/work with the pitchers. On the non-catching days, Diaz can play 1B and/or DH or get a day off once in awhile.

And you can all thank me later.
W
AG
Julks is in the starting lineup?
The Kraken
AG
Beau Holder said:

34 game winning streak...starts today!
Farmer1906
AG
Reinforcements.

Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Julks is in the starting lineup?

Yup

Now the Astros deleted the tweet… hmmmm….

Here it was.

txags11
AG
Yep..

Altuve-2B
Bregman-3B
Tucker-RF
Alvarez-DH
Diaz-C
McCormick-CF
Singleton-1B
Julks-LF
Pena-SS
txags11
AG
All they did was put that the roof was closed..no changes
linkdude
AG
Julks playing today makes me think Brantley's heading to Detroit at some point
texasaggie2015
AG
It's back up now but I don't see anything different

Edit: Ah, I see it now
Dies Irae
Marvin said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I can't really speak to that.. but I'm confident he won't be the every day catcher like he is now.

Any update on why Uncle Mike continues to bat in Sugar Land and not Houston? Seems like he could handle the workload of being Julks or any other warm body, and apparently he can still hit.

We want to make sure he is healthy going into retirement
Mathguy64
AG
1 for freaking 42 and hes playing. A AAA player batting 1-42 is taking ML AB's. Thats insanity. Its comical. Its malpractice. It should be fireable.
Dies Irae
Again I don't mean to be cavalier with Brantley's health but we've paid him $12,000,000 to do nothing this year. So what if he reaggravates an injury? He's done with us after this year anyway.
W
AG
Dusty is just daring Dana to fire him
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
If Brantley doesn't play in MLB this year, do the Astros pay the full 12m, or is there some kind of insurance policy that kicks in?

AggiEE
Mathguy64 said:

1 for freaking 42 and hes playing. A AAA player batting 1-42 is taking ML AB's. Thats insanity. Its comical. Its malpractice. It should be fireable.

Why TF did we bring Julks back knowing Dusty would play him all the freaking time for no reason other than he seems to like the guy personally?
Boiling Denim
If Brantley is meeting the team in Detroit this could potentially be Julks last ABs in the majors. In front of his home crowd. Dusty probably made the emotional decision here
R-Dog
AG
I would bet it isn't about protecting his injury. The line of thought should be "What can we do to give him the best opportunity to make a meaningful contribution in September and October?"

And the answer to that is probably for him to continue to see as much live pitching as possible given how long he has been out. As great as it would be to have him as a bench bat, there is still no guarantee in any individual game that there is a high leverage opportunity to use him. So, I think the hope is to get him ready to be a somewhat regular DH.
CoachAg19
AG
3B Paul 97 said:

I would be ok if they re-signed Maldy to a one year deal. He can be JVs OR Framber's personal catcher (and only one) and can be a mentor to Diaz on how to prep for and call games as well as how to talk/work with the pitchers. On the non-catching days, Diaz can play 1B and/or DH or get a day off once in awhile.

And you can all thank me later.

Personally I think it's definitely time to move on from Maldy altogether. His production, or lack of, both offensively and defensively does not warrant bringing him back. I get that he's a leader and a strong voice on the team, and I certainly respect that, but there are plenty of guys that can fill those shoes.

I won't be upset if they were to re-sign Maldy as long as Dusty is not the manager.
Class of 2010
Marvin
AG
Ag-in-a-Box said:

If Brantley doesn't play in MLB this year, do the Astros pay the full 12m, or is there some kind of insurance policy that kicks in?

This is a great question. Did the stint in AAA make it irrelevant, though?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Boiling Denim said:

If Brantley is meeting the team in Detroit this could potentially be Julks last ABs in the majors. In front of his home crowd. Dusty probably made the emotional decision here

If true, doesn't he have more ABs still than Yainer or Chas? Isn't that enough?

We do not have the luxury of being emotional and considerate.
Wabs
AG
This is why I think it was a mistake not to add a bat at the trade deadline. Julks wouldn't even be on the roster for Dusty to use. And what are the other options? Dubon, Singleton and Meyers don't do much for us either.
Marvin
AG
Hot take Thursday- I'd take Alex Cintron as '24 manager over Dusty Baker.
Mr.Bond
AG
Marvin said:

Helen Keller would take Alex over crusty
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

W
AG
Ag-in-a-Box said:

this is what I'm thinking

there's a clause in the policy that once he plays in a MLB game...the policy is void
texasaggie2015
AG
I will honestly be really surprised if Cintron isn't a manager somewhere by, say, 2025. He's very well respected across the league.
Ag_07
AG
I wouldn't mind Cintron

Dude is fiery as hell and backs his players up big time.
Marvin
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Marvin said:

Helen Keller would take Alex over crusty

I'm resisting at least 10 highly inappropriate jokes right now..........
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

I wouldn't mind Cintron

I remember... was he the one in Oakland with Laureano?
Mr.Bond
AG
Marvin said:

Ag_07 said:

I wouldn't mind Cintron

I remember... was he the one in Oakland with Laureano?

https://www.mlb.com/news/ramon-laureano-alex-cintron-suspended?partnerID=web_article-share
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG

MAGA

Mr.Bond
AG

MAGA

Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

I wouldn't mind Cintron

Mariners fans say the same thing about Servais. No thanks.
Mr.Bond
AG
my meaningless vote is for Joe Espada

MAGA

Dirtnap ag
AG
I've got 4 extra tickets to todays game Section 103 first row Crawford Boxes. 60$ beer money takes them all, Zelle or can meet outside around 12:45.
Farmer1906
AG
I still long for a Hinch reunion.
First Page Last Page
Page 1907 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.