***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,496,024 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never heard that story, but I wasn't a fan of Cora as a player. I wonder if he and Blum had history when they both played.
astros4545
AG
agproducer said:

Also fun -- on Cora.

Wow
Never heard that story, I guess from 2017

That's incredible

What a *****
RED AG 98
AG
From the comments this story is in Evan Drellich's book. What an absolute punk.
Mathguy64
AG
Last night was just a manager trying to do something to change his team. Boston has played like dog poop for 2 games and Cora is trying to punch any button he can reach before they are so far out of touch with the WC that the season is lost.

Boone is already there. Listed to him talk and he's already given up.

The funny part is Cora and Verdugo were picking the fight on a legit strike call.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

Also fun -- on Cora.

Holy ***** I had never read that before. What a ****. Blum would pound that *****.
texasaggie2015
AG
Wabs
AG
What a ****ing dewsh bag. Blummer would have knocked his ass into next week.
Cynic
Question, does the lowest wild card team play the non-top seed division winner?

Meaning, IF the Astros end up as a wild card would it be best to be the worst wild card so you can play the Twins?
Farmer1906
AG
Yes, the #6 wildcard has to easiest path to the DS. That is just because the AL Central sucks.
Beau Holder
AG
Mariners-White Sox Kopech v Kirby is on at 1 today. Maybe CWS can just steal one and take a little stress off before Jays-O's and Stros-Red Sox.
Farmer1906
AG
Chris Sale signed a 5/145 M deal in March of 2019. It was for 2020-2024. He's thrown 24 starts since then for 117.5 M or just under 5 M per start.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
Wabs said:

Blum certainly could handle a drunk Cora physically. But Blum was also the bigger man who had the strength to apologize for his (much smaller) part in the dustup. Cora couldn't even bring himself to do that.
FrioAg 00
AG
We need to win these next 5 games against Boston, burying their 2023 playoff hopes, and turning the heat way up on Cora
W
AG
Sale's contract is one reason why the Red Sox had to trade Mookie

they got caught in payroll prison
Prosperdick
AG
BeowulfShaeffer said:

Wabs said:

Blum certainly could handle a drunk Cora physically. But Blum was also the bigger man who had the strength to apologize for his (much smaller) part in the dustup. Cora couldn't even bring himself to do that.
Tells me everything I need to know about not only Cora but Blum too. I've always liked Blum and this just reinforces it. I didn't really have an opinion on Cora but boy do I have one now.

That all being said there's always two sides to every story...then again, f*** off, Alex!
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chris Sale signed a 5/145 M deal in March of 2019. It was for 2020-2024. He's thrown 24 starts since then for 117.5 M or just under 5 M per start.

CoachAg19
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've heard a couple drunk Cora stories. Let's just say he's the friend who you would rather not be around when he's drinking.

Well, we're waiting…
Class of 2010
tjack16
AG
We should reward Cora's behavior with a sweep this week and next
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

We should reward Cora's behavior with a sweep this week and next
We arent allowed to sweep anyone. Its one of Dusty's unwritten rules. Right before "Never use a toothpick more than 2 innings straight" and "Its ok to wear Ray Bans at night"
07ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've heard a couple drunk Cora stories. Let's just say he's the friend who you would rather not be around when he's drinking.
don't be like that, spill the gossip or don't bother teasing
https://ts.la/eric59704
irish pete ag06
AG
agproducer said:

Also fun -- on Cora.

Did anyone read this book? I just finished my last book and I'm looking for one.

Is it any good because that part has me definitely intrigued.
texasaggie2015
AG
I have to be careful with what I share on here. I remember some even expecting me to spill the personal issues Pena was fighting through. That's just not going to happen. Just wanted to say it's not the first time I've heard of Cora acting like an ass. I'll delete it.
AgLA06
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

agproducer said:

Also fun -- on Cora.

Did anyone read this book? I just finished my last book and I'm looking for one.

Is it any good because that part has me definitely intrigued.
You want to read a book written by the guy who "broke" the baseball cheating scandal on the Astros about the cheating scandal?
spadilly
S
Quote:

"Cora really likes to drink," said someone who traveled with the Astros, according to the book. "Any road trip I was on with him, or plane flight I was on with him, he was drinking a lot. Him and Craig Bjornson, CB, were basically wasted on every single flight. So much so that Cora would turn into the equivalent of like, the scary homeless person that's talking to themself doing like drunken tai chi in place, and you're like: 'Oh my God, what's wrong with that guy?' Like, Cora would get that level drunk on basically every single trip."

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/02/alex-cora-likely-would-have-been-fired-by-astros-if-rift-with-aj-hinch-wasnt-fixed-according-to-winning-fixes-everything.html
spadilly
S
Check this one out if you haven't. Probably the most fun book I've read this year.

https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Circus-Baseball-Perfect-Ballpark/dp/0385548400

texasaggie2015
AG
spadilly said:

Quote:

"Cora really likes to drink," said someone who traveled with the Astros, according to the book. "Any road trip I was on with him, or plane flight I was on with him, he was drinking a lot. Him and Craig Bjornson, CB, were basically wasted on every single flight. So much so that Cora would turn into the equivalent of like, the scary homeless person that's talking to themself doing like drunken tai chi in place, and you're like: 'Oh my God, what's wrong with that guy?' Like, Cora would get that level drunk on basically every single trip."

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/02/alex-cora-likely-would-have-been-fired-by-astros-if-rift-with-aj-hinch-wasnt-fixed-according-to-winning-fixes-everything.html

And this is more or less what I've heard. The dude was unhinged at times.
Beau Holder
AG
Speaking of baseball books, I'm halfway through "The Arm" by Jeff Passan. Curious how it'll hold up as it ages given the things we continue to learn and see happen, but it's a very interesting history of Tommy John surgery and how we arrived at modern thinking around pitcher usage.
cone
AG
lol alex cora is a c sucker
gigemJTH12
AG
$20
Farmer1906
AG
If anyone hasn't read Astroball yet… what are you doing? It's excellent.
spadilly
S
or free from the local library
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If anyone hasn't read Astroball yet… what are you doing? It's excellent.
Would now be a great time considering it appears our manager hasn't read / understood it?
AustinCountyAg
can someone post a link on the Cora/Blummer stuff being talked about. My work blocks twitter so I can't read the tweets explaining what it is yall are discussing.
Marvin
AG
Did a little remaining schedule research this morning. I think these are correct.

Remaining opponent winning percentages as of today are:
0.505 Tex
0.482 Sea
0.469 Hou

But, we know that Seattle is in the midst of a hilariously easy stretch, so now let's look at the remaining schedule after September 3rd, which leaves about 25-26 games for the stretch run:
0.538 Sea
0.507 Tex
0.457 Hou

These three teams play each other quite a bit down the stretch, so here's the remaining schedule after September 3rd when not including Sea/Tex/Hou as opponents (that is, schedule against everyone else):
0.505 Sea
0.471 Tex
0.420 Hou

So, my obvious conclusion is that the Astros need to stick close for the next week and a half while the Mariners skip through the tulips, and then win at least a game each against Seattle and Texas. If they accomplish that, the odds would be in their favor for winning the division.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ags #1
AG
This is the content i come here for.....oh and bewbs
First Page Last Page
Page 1871 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.