***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,500,092 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Willy Wonka said:

BadAggie said:

Why does Diaz need time off? He's in his early 20s and in good health. He also hasn't played every game this season. Also presumably he won't turn down any opportunity to play given where he is in his career.

I know he's in the lineup now but man, this makes no sense

Good question. He's got no problem tossing Javier with his baby arm out there every 5 days but Yanier needs a rest.

Right. Why is it position players need all these breaks but pitchers have to go until their arms fall off?

BadAggie
AG
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

There's no way Yordon doesn't want to play right? This has tucker "being sick" written all over it. Yordon with a bruised finger that just hurts a little is a hell of a lot better than Dubon

I mean I buy that Tucker was legit sick.

But lol that Diaz can't play unless someone got hurt

Hey Dusty the month starts with A but it isn't April. Figure it out.
BadAggie
AG
Also start Maldy tomorrow v Sale. His OPS v lefties held up last night.

EastCoastAgNc
AG

So many injuries this year that discomfort is on the IL
W
AG
another thing on Dana's offseason list...

is a long sitdown with Yordan about 2024 expectations for games played

set the goal at 150 games

Yordan is 26 years old -- he can't be missing 50 to 60 games per season before the age of 30
BadAggie
AG
"Confound it, Dusty! What do you have against success?!"

BadAggie
AG
Are the Astros letting/tolerating/directing Dusty playing mad scientist with lineups to limit younger players accruing service time?

Beat40
W said:

another thing on Dana's offseason list...

is a long sitdown with Yordan about 2024 expectations for games played

set the goal at 150 games

Yordan is 26 years old -- he can't be missing 50 to 60 games per season before the age of 30
What could Yordan have done differently this year? The majority of this time missed time was an oblique strain from doing his job, swinging the bat.

Also - it's not his fault if the organization babies him with his finger.

It's why I think guys try to play through stuff, like Abreu, even if it ends up hurting the team. If they tell the organization, the org keeps them out and then uses their games played against them in arb and other negotiations.
Cynic
EastCoastAgNc said:

Baseball players are so damn fragile
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Taking in a game from Comerica Park tonight. This park seems really small. Really like how you can walk all the way around the concourse and all but the batters eye you can see the field
Beat40
Cynic said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Baseball players are so damn fragile
You think it's the player or the organization?

I think it's the organization, mostly. They are protecting multi-million dollar investments that, if that investment helps them win the WS, earns them multi-million more dollars.
BadAggie
AG
BadAggie
AG
Never mind game play isn't the measure it's time on the active roster, which makes this worse given that players like Diaz and McCormick are moving towards arbitration and free agency and you aren't getting them on the field now.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/service-time
Beau Holder
AG
Expecting to get some mileage out of this one.
Dies Irae
EastCoastAgNc said:

Okay I'm sorry but Yordan has to be the biggest wuss I've ever seen. We need to cover him with Saran Wrap and lock him in a padded room during the season

Yordan moved to the 60 Day IL after Re aggravating his thumbnail contusion after opening a particularly hard jar of pickles.
FrioAg 00
AG
There is a reason Dusty managed in big markets teams for decades and never won chit. In 2023 the analytics department just had the Astros so strong even Dusty couldn't screw it up.

And now we get to watch him finally have enough time to royally **** the bed.
BadAggie
AG
'Put your worst 4 in 6 through 9, leave out Diaz, but then make up some bs injury for Yordan and replace him with Diaz.'
Dies Irae
BadAggie said:

'Put your worst 4 in 6 through 9, leave out Diaz, but then make up some bs injury for Yordan and replace him with Diaz.'

Ag_07
AG
Can we step back from the keyboards and tap the breaks a little bit here?

Yordan could have a just a bruised finger or he could've lost his index finger.

I just don't see the issue with sitting a player after he nails his finger in a door. Either way it probably hurts like a MFer and he's uncomfortable swinging a bat.

Lets let this play out before we start taking the pitch forks to Yordan calling him soft and the biggest wuss ever and Dusty for benching him. Give it a day or two and see what happens. He very well could be back out there tomorrow after giving it a rest for a day.
BadAggie
AG
'Make JV go the distance tonight no matter what. Til his arm falls off.'

W
AG
Craig Biggio played in 157 games in 2005 at age 39

age thirty-nine

you know at that age he was less than 100%...less than 90%...less than 80%...less than 70% for many games

Dana needs to change the expectations in the offseason
3B Paul 97
AG
He averaged 150 games per season over his last 7 season.

That took him to age 41.

He even played CF a couple of those years, which takes a lot of extra running.
spadilly
S
The statue area looks pretty sweet.
Beau Holder
AG
Not me over here thinking "Given a necessary choice between the two, I might rather see Yainer than the Yordan of the last two weeks"
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
spadilly said:

The reverse angle from my second deck seat, $16 on Gametime app $25 after fees, parking was an additional $20

Concessions are much more affordable here
Teddy Perkins
AG
SIAP

Quote:

When Cristian Javier is at his best, he's quite literally unhittable. This season, however, Javier's famous "invisiball" has abandoned him. His 4-seam fastball gained that moniker due to the flat plane of approach that gave it the illusion of rising as it approached the hitter.

Even though it isn't as effective as it once was, with a run value of 7, Javier's fastball is still his best pitch by far. The trouble he's found himself in hasn't been a result of struggling to throw strikes early in the count. This was on display again last night. Only 57 of his 105 pitches were thrown for strikes, and he found himself in a 3-ball count against 11 of the 26 batters he faced. Needing to throw a get-me-over fastball is dangerous enough. Doing it without his best stuff has proven to be where he gets himself in trouble.

Whether it is fatigue, mechanics, or some combination thereof, the fastball isn't performing as it once did. While it may seem miniscule, Javier's fastball is experiencing an additional inch of vertical drop this year, accompanied by a drop in velocity of 1MPH on average.

So now Javier finds himself in late August trying to adjust. He has lost the ability to command his fastball (see the pitch chart), resulting in him using his offspeed and breaking pitches more than he ever has before. He's tinkering, trying to find a way to just get through 5 innings, while he fights to find a feel for his best pitch. As good as Javier's other stuff can be, it all plays off his fastball. Until he can consistently throw his 4-seamer for strikes, it remains tough to be optimistic about his 2023 outlook.
texasaggie2015
AG
I promise you he would be playing if they would let him.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

Craig Biggio played in 157 games in 2005 at age 39

age thirty-nine

you know at that age he was less than 100%...less than 90%...less than 80%...less than 70% for many games

Dana needs to change the expectations in the offseason

It was also a meaningless season and he wasn't playing at a high level.
McInnis
AG
A meaningless season? The Astros played in the WS that year.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

spadilly said:

The reverse angle from my second deck seat, $16 on Gametime app $25 after fees, parking was an additional $20

Concessions are much more affordable here

Last thing I'll mention…it's 73 with a slight breeze. I'm wearing joggers and a 1/4 zip pullover. This weather really is beautiful for an outdoor stadium
RED AG 98
AG
Beau Holder said:

I wish someone would just ask Dusty to plainly lay out the rationale behind it. In explicit terms and in comparison to other options.
You already know exactly how it would go though. It would be the equivalent of listening to the CFB chair on the rankings tv show -- whatever made up thing necessary to justify the decision.
linkdude
AG
Looks like Yainer will be our full time 1B for the playoff run based on the run he's getting right now (pleasedeargoddusty!)
Ags #1
AG
You dont really believe that do you? Dusty will give abrue plenty of at bats when he is back
Beat40
linkdude said:

Looks like Yainer will be our full time 1B for the playoff run based on the run he's getting right now (pleasedeargoddusty!)

This screams manager and front office division and I believe it's worse than anyone is letting on.
Bag
AG
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8Fmr6Pa/

Charlie weighs in

It's all ridiculous
First Page Last Page
Page 1854 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.