***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,506,112 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Baez could very well stick at first base once he fills out. He's still growing and may lose a step.

Loperfido could very well end up at first base as well.
bearkatag15
AG
Dies Irae
any of y'all been following Alek Manoah? Dude had seemed to do okay in July but has just gotten sent down to AAA again after his last 5 starts where he threw 23.1 innings, giving up 37 hits and walks and 15 ER.
AgLA06
AG
BadAggie said:

Presumably bat would have been for the bench.

Market was such that decent rental bat would've cost a fair amount.

So you go to plan B and call up the 1B from AAA crushing it.

Plan C is Uncle Mike giving it another go at a return.

I don't buy this idea that one weak Maldy bat in the lineup prevents the rest from producing.

Yah proven statistics and reality or over rated!
AgLA06
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

JDUB08AG said:

There more we dive into the numbers, the more egregious this becomes

It's been egregious since late June. I'd consider it malpractice or deliberate sabotage by now.
At this point I'm halfway expecting an investigation into improper gambling allegations.
Faustus
Dies Irae said:

any of y'all been following Alek Manoah? Dude had seemed to do okay in July but has just gotten sent down to AAA again after his last 5 starts where he threw 23.1 innings, giving up 37 hits and walks and 15 ER.
Since we're competing with Toronto to make the playoffs that seems like the wrong emoji.

I hope he continues to not do okay.
AgLA06
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

We all agree. For the love of God can we stop discussing it now. At least until tomorrow morning?

Can we have a new rule like 12am-9am each morning is bash on Dusty and Maldy time and then we move on?
As opposed to what? It's literally the entire story of this team right now.
BadAggie
AG
AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

I don't buy this idea that one weak Maldy bat in the lineup prevents the rest from producing.

Maldy sucking at plate is as much a crutch for underperformance of the top of the order in a given game here as Maldy's super great intangibles are for the pitching staff.

AgLA06
AG
BadAggie said:

AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

Maldy sucking at plate is as much a crutch for underperformance of the top of the order in a given game here as Maldy's super great intangibles are for the pitching staff.

You can think that, but if you've read any of the statistics posted, that's not the case. One player drastically changes the dynamic of what happens every 2-3 innings. Not only for our offense, but also for their pitching moves.

It's not just what he does at the plate either. When he plays it requires you to score more runs to win. Except when he plays you score less. It's a double loser.
tjack16
AG
To pivot from our daily Maldonado talk

Do y'all think Altuve gets to 2000 before Friday? I think he gets it during tomorrow's game
spadilly
S
tjack16 said:

Do y'all think Altuve gets to 2000 before Friday? I think he gets it during tomorrow's game

Dusty better be smart enough to sit him (or pull him from the game) if he is at 1,999 in Miami.
Farmer1906
AG
spadilly said:

tjack16 said:

Dusty better be smart enough to sit him (or pull him from the game) if he is at 2,999 in Miami.

Why? We have games to win.
spadilly
S
CoachAg19
AG
BadAggie said:

AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

Last night in the top of the 7th inning, Maldy had a 3-1 count with 1 out and a runner on 1st. He swung at ball 4 and grounded out. He had the hottest hitter in baseball coming up behind him. And what did Altuve do? He doubled down the line to left. Had Maldy just stood still and taken ball 4, he would've been on 2nd base for that double, as there was a passed ball in Altuve's AB that would've advanced him. The game would've been tied 2-2 after Altuve's double. Tucker then walked. Bregman got out to end the inning. If Maldy, who has a .178 average, had not swung at ball 4, we would've had Alvarez up with two runners on in the 7th rather than him leading off the 8th.
1, 2, and 4 all got on RIGHT behind him, but his out on a ball he shouldn't have swung at cost us a run and the chance for more with Alvarez coming up with runners on. Should Bregman have produced with runners on? Absolutely. Should Alvarez had been in the 3-spot to begin with? Most likely.
In a 3-0 or 3-1 count, Maldy should NEVER be swinging. Not at this point in the season. If this were May...fine, take your hacks. Not in August when you SHOULD be trying to win every game at all costs.
AgLA06
AG
Farmer1906 said:

spadilly said:

tjack16 said:

Dusty better be smart enough to sit him (or pull him from the game) if he is at 2,999 in Miami.

Why? We have games to win.
Because that's totally mattered with our lineup this year.
spadilly
S
That's fair. My emotions are playing with me hoping he gets it at MMP.
Farmer1906
AG
Fair. But keep in mind this is 2k. It's a big deal but it's not 3k. Almost 300 players have achieved 2k.
Ag_07
AG
spadilly said:

tjack16 said:

Dusty better be smart enough to sit him (or pull him from the game) if he is at 1,999 in Miami.

Prosperdick
AG
CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

AgLA06 said:

BadAggie said:

Last night in the top of the 7th inning, Maldy had a 3-1 count with 1 out and a runner on 1st. He swung at ball 4 and grounded out. He had the hottest hitter in baseball coming up behind him. And what did Altuve do? He doubled down the line to left. Had Maldy just stood still and taken ball 4, he would've been on 2nd base for that double, as there was a passed ball in Altuve's AB that would've advanced him. The game would've been tied 2-2 after Altuve's double. Tucker then walked. Bregman got out to end the inning. If Maldy, who has a .178 average, had not swung at ball 4, we would've had Alvarez up with two runners on in the 7th rather than him leading off the 8th.
1, 2, and 4 all got on RIGHT behind him, but his out on a ball he shouldn't have swung at cost us a run and the chance for more with Alvarez coming up with runners on. Should Bregman have produced with runners on? Absolutely. Should Alvarez had been in the 3-spot to begin with? Most likely.
In a 3-0 or 3-1 count, Maldy should NEVER be swinging. Not at this point in the season. If this were May...fine, take your hacks. Not in August when you SHOULD be trying to win every game at all costs.
I also think what most are missing is NORMALLY (not your example above) having a black hole at the 9 spot shouldn't have a significant impact on your overall lineup producing runs BUT removing that black hole and replacing it with a big bat in the MIDDLE of the lineup DOES have a significant impact.

That's the big issue here...not only does the pitcher lose a breather at the 9 hole but he now has to face Diaz after trying to get through Altuve, Breggie, Yordan, and Tucker (maybe Chas too) so that's 6 batters in a row that can do major damage to a pitcher. It now becomes a gauntlet.
texasaggie2015
AG
We're on a roll. Four posts without mentioning Madly!

Edit: DAMMIT the post above broke the streak
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

We're on a roll. Four posts without mentioning Madly!

Edit: DAMMIT the post above broke the streak
Please enlighten us on topics we should be discussing that aren't in relationship to the complete sabotage of this team by the manager. So far that would eliminate the below. What else is there that relative to the moment?

• Altuve playing time
  • Diaz playing time
  • Maldy playing time.
texasaggie2015
AG
Okay dude. Relax. I'm joking around because Maldy has seemingly been the only thing discussed since last night.

This board has gotten so hostile. Geeze.
SECcess12
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Astros Future just released his Midseason Update

1. Jacob Melton, OF
2. Joey Loperfido, OF
3. Spencer Arrighetti, RHP
4. Brice Matthews, SS
5. Luis Baez, OF
6. Zach Dezenzo, INF
7. Colton Gordon, OF
8. Colin Barber, OF
9. Rhett Kouba, RHP
10. Kenedy Corona, OF
11-30 listed in link along with a burb on each.
So many outfielders. Need to convert a couple to 1B
"There is 3 times as many OFs as there are 1B in the field of play" /dustybigbrain

Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Okay dude. Relax. I'm joking around because Maldy has seemingly been the only thing discussed since last night.

I almost want to win more so for this thread's enjoyment rather than the team's record.
AgLA06
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Don't play the victim. You decided to try and moderate what we could discuss before you realized there wasn't anything else relevant at the moment.

Hostile is dramatic at best.

Unless you'd like to actually answer my question.
texasaggie2015
AG
I absolutely agree. It's been much less fun lately. A lot of the criticism and negativity are completely valid… but some of it gets a little overboard and becomes beating a dead horse. The hostility is new as well. Let's get a win tonight and get hot.
texasaggie2015
AG
Dude.. huh? When did I say you can or can't discuss something? I literally just made a joke about there being a break in the Maldy conversation. Show me where I tried moderating.

Hope you have a good day brother
All I do is Nguyen
texasaggie2015 said:

Let's get a win tonight and get hot.
Did someone say HOT?

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Unlike Dusty, we taking winning and losing seriously around here.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I almost want to win more so for this thread's enjoyment rather than the team's record.

Reading this board during the game, it reads like we're down double digits with it's tied or close.
texasaggie2015
AG
Agreed. It's brutal.
AustinCountyAg
more of this
texasaggie2015
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Astros Future just released his Midseason Update

1. Jacob Melton, OF
2. Joey Loperfido, OF
3. Spencer Arrighetti, RHP
4. Brice Matthews, SS
5. Luis Baez, OF
6. Zach Dezenzo, INF
7. Colton Gordon, OF
8. Colin Barber, OF
9. Rhett Kouba, RHP
10. Kenedy Corona, OF
11-30 listed in link along with a burb on each.
So many outfielders. Need to convert a couple to 1B

Also.. just a slight correction. Colton Gordon is a pitcher, not an outfielder like it's listed there. One less outfielder on the list.
Farmer1906
AG
That's a typo. Jimmy has it right on his site.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
It's not that the complaints aren't valid about Maldyits that the same point doesn't need to be said 100 times in slightly different wording by every poster. This thread has become a sports talk radio show where 8 people call in and sound like idiots and say the same thing they said yesterday and the same thing the three guys before them just said.

There doesn't have to be 1000 posts between games ending and the next starting all saying the same thing. JUST STOP POSTING.

And thanks I'll just hang up and listen.
First Page Last Page
Page 1716 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.