***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,506,576 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If I'm counting right, since the May eight-game streak ended, they have swept exactly two series. One of which was the A's.

Every other team in the race for either the division or the WC seems able to sustain wins longer than two days. The fundamental inability of this team to do so is going to leave holding on to a playoff spot, not the widening division gap, a far bigger concern with the Mariners' surge.
tjack16
AG
3.5 back now. Fun stuff
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

3.5 back now. Fun stuff
The best thing about baseball is we can gain that game back tomorrow.
W
AG
the Rangers are 3-0 in Scherzer's 3 starts
bearkatag15
AG
Damnit Royals
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Damnit Royals
and the lead is now a deficit
Beau Holder
AG
tjack16 said:

3.5 back now. Fun stuff

Orioles, Rays, and now M's (though hopefully the Royals come back) all on pace to gain a game on the Astros tonight. Jays chilled and only gained a half game.
bearkatag15
AG
Big AB for Salvy Perez
BadAggie
AG
Royals not done.

Anyways Stros have some things to fix but some of you need lithium after a loss
FrioAg 00
AG
Royals making it interesting - on the corners no outs
Beau Holder
AG
Witt Jr. is so fun. Just get one to almost anywhere in the outfield and he'll score.
AggiEE
Jake is another guy that's a massive disappointment. How do you not hit a hanger down the middle for at least a sac fly?

his approach at the plate is terrible. Really hurts not having Uncle Mike to play LF when Alvarez is DH
Beau Holder
AG
Tied, winning run on third.

Royals win on a squeeze. Awesome stuff.
FrioAg 00
AG
Tie game!

Don't let up - get one more in and finish this now
bearkatag15
AG
ROYALS WIN!!!
FrioAg 00
AG
Ball Game!
Mr.Bond
AG
What a walk off!!!
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

BadAggie
AG
W said:

the Rangers are 3-0 in Scherzer's 3 starts

White Sox
A's
Angels

:handjob
bearkatag15
AG
Wabs
AG
Not getting a bat at the trade deadline is looking like it's really going to hurt us. This will go down as Dana's major mistake in his first year as a GM.
Farmer1906
AG
What bat do you think we should have gotten?
FrioAg 00
AG
And the Giants chose a pretty crappy time to implode (losing 7 of 9 including the series against Rangers and now in game 1 against Rays)

The race in the AL is going to get crazy IMO
spadilly
S
Not sure why it isn't embedded, but Juan Soto just fouled one where you don't want to get hit. Ouch.

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1691291866980081665?s=46&t=aFk0K5tY6OHQxk3jSP5B7A

Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

What bat do you think we should have gotten?

Maybe any of the many names that were mentioned on here? There were a bunch of them. Maybe the cost was too high? I don't know. Pitching wins championships, but you need to make the tournament first and one way to counter Dusty's insistence on playing auto-out Maldy would be to add another OF bat. IMO this will be a major reason we don't win another championship. Agree to disagree if you must.
Farmer1906
AG
I just didn't see many impact bats on the market once the Cubs, Padres, & Giants. Candelario would have been nice, but he didn't exactly fit in our INF.
Mathguy64
AG
Wabs said:

Not getting a bat at the trade deadline is looking like it's really going to hurt us. This will go down as Dana's major mistake in his first year as a GM.
Seriously, where do you want a bat? Let's go around each position.

3B. Bregman. Nope

SS Peña. Gold glove, WS MVP. You aren't taking him out if the lineup unless you swapped him for someone like Wander Franco and there is 0% chance you were getting anyone like that.

2B. That Altuve cat is pretty good. Move on.

1B. IMHO there is no way Dusty takes Abreu out if this lineup short of an injury or a trade. He's untradable and now he's injured. You couldn't predict that so if he's not hurt your hands are tied. Because Dusty was playing Captain Lou 160 games this year before Oct 1.

DH/LF Yordan. Move on.

LF/CF Chas. The level of trade to improve that is insane. You would have to trade him plus something else big.

CF when it's not Chas. Thats Jake now. Ok. That's a place. Who? Everyone talked Bellinger but the Cubs are right at the edge of the NL WC. I can't imagine what the price was but I suspect it started with Chas plus a pitcher (France or Brown). That's a no for me dog.

RF. Tucker. Move on

And that leaves C. The black hole. The rally killer. The end of the line. The catcher who literally can't catch. The Human Pear. The Machete. Dusty and the pitchers see something we don't. Dusty clearly has a better option both as a hitter and fielder and he's not penciling Diaz in now. So unless you have a silenced .22 to hold at Dusty's head I can't imagine you can trade for anyone not named Johnny Bench that he's going to play there in place of Maldonado. So you now are free to play Diaz as DH when Yordan is in the field, which moves Chas to CF.

And now what realistic bat are you getting better than this?

2B Altuve
RF Tucker
LF Yordan
3B Bregman
CF Chas
DH Diaz
1B Abreu/Big Jon
SS Peña
C Machete

It's not close to the best lineup Dusty can make. But it's the lineup he's making because he's starting at C and working his way up starting with you know who.
redline248
AG
Does anyone remember which day it was that Dusty made the comment about Diaz not hitting lefties and he didn't help managing?
BadAggie
AG
Presumably bat would have been for the bench.

Market was such that decent rental bat would've cost a fair amount.

So you go to plan B and call up the 1B from AAA crushing it.

Plan C is Uncle Mike giving it another go at a return.

I don't buy this idea that one weak Maldy bat in the lineup prevents the rest from producing.

Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie said:

I don't buy this idea that one weak Maldy bat in the lineup prevents the rest from producing.

Yup. We had opportunities but couldn't get the big hit or hits.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

BadAggie said:

Yup. We had opportunities but couldn't get the big hit or hits.
Yep. Today was one of those days where the defense saw where the ball was hit, got in time machine, when back 5 seconds and then stood where it was hit.
irish pete ag06
AG
If Dusty would really platoon Maldy and Diaz we'd be in business. This is gonna be hard to believe but Maldy has a 135 wRC+ vs LHP.

Bad thing is that ain't how it works.
W
AG
the move to make at the deadline was to acquire a journeyman catcher...and then DFA Machete

a journeyman catcher that Dusty does not know
TRM
AG
spadilly said:

Not sure why it isn't embedded, but Juan Soto just fouled one where you don't want to get hit. Ouch.

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1691291866980081665?s=46&t=aFk0K5tY6OHQxk3jSP5B7A

Change x to twitter

Cromagnum
AG
I don't feel the least bit sorry for that jackass.
AggiEE
BadAggie said:

Presumably bat would have been for the bench.

Market was such that decent rental bat would've cost a fair amount.

So you go to plan B and call up the 1B from AAA crushing it.

Plan C is Uncle Mike giving it another go at a return.

It's the combo of Maldy, Meyers, and Pena at the bottom of the lineup that really hurts.

Diaz helps that situation a lot, and ideally Meyers doesn't play hardly at all

If Yordan must DH, Diaz must catch, I don't know why this cannot be made so.

Diaz should DH if Dusty insists on Maldy, but ideally Maldy doesn't get many starts
First Page Last Page
Page 1713 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.