***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,506,966 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fitting I guess that Yuli makes the last out unassisted.
W
AG
Beau Holder said:

This team apparently has a hard ceiling this year and it just keeps headbutting it.

So much for that momentum.
this is kind of the story of the year

the Astros are capped at 90 to 92 wins

when they have the talent to win 95 to 100 games

but the talent is rarely deployed properly
gambochaman
AG
Its sad that most of us know its going to be a loss when the lineup is posted
CoachAg19
AG
htxag09 said:

We have 9 men LOB today….

If all I did was read this thread I'd think all 9 were by Maldy…..hint, tuck and Bregman have too….

Yes, I want Diaz playing every day. But acting like this is all on Maldy or dusty is idiotic, but I guess par for the course.

Man. You have NO idea how the game could've changed with just a few small plays. Maldy doesn't drop that ball and it's a 1-1 game. Even after dropping the ball, top of the 7th with 1 out, a runner on 1st, and a 3-1 count…a guy with a .175 average should NOT be swinging. Yet he does swing (at ball 4) and grounds into an out. Passed ball on Altuve's AB would've put him on 2nd, and then Altuve's hit would've drove him in and given us a 2-1 lead or AT WORST a 2-2 tie.
The entire game could change because of those two scenarios alone. Framber pitched great, although looked shaky in the 7th. Tough to say he should've come out with how well he was doing. But if that was a 2-1 lead or 2-2…I bet he comes out for a fresh arm.
Class of 2010
Marvin
AG
The Astros had one hot stretch in May where they won 11 of 12 games. Need a run like that at some point before the season ends, especially since it appears the Rangers are having one of their own.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
Most everyone liked the lineup today. Besides no Diaz, it wasn't a bad lineup. They hit the ball hard today. **** happens. It just sucks when you're in a pennant race.
BadAggie
AG
Beau Holder said:

So tonight Maldonado

Left the bases loaded
Got stolen on
Passed ball allowing that runner to score
Intangibled our way to B2B2B homers allowed

Diaz needs more starts.

Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez and Tucker played in last two games and Astros scored 1 run in each game.

Ag_07
AG
Just one of those nights not catching any breaks on laser beams being shot all over the park.

Some of y'all are going to drive yourselves nuts expecting us to win out.
W
AG
W said:

since July 20th...

the Astros are a sparkling 12-1 in games in which Yainer starts

however on the bench for the second game-in-a-row
would recommend starting Yainer tomorrow

just a recommendation
The Beef01
AG
tremble said:

We will not make the playoffs if Dusty keeps playing stupid games.

I can think of no more fitting lesson for Crane than to miss the playoffs b/c he allowed 1 month of good to wipe away months of mismanagement to extend Dusty. I'm still absolutely shocked that he was brought back…October really wiped the slate clean of months of terrible decisions, poor situational hitting, etc.

Dusty should be a commentator at this point, but he isn't and that's on Jim Crane…hopefully he'll learn from this b/c this team needs sound on-field management and right now, it doesn't have it.
Beau Holder
AG
We keep waiting for it and it keeps not coming. Can't sweep, drop games where they've got a significant pitching advantage, can't post a consistent lineup.

Watching the division standings is pointless right now.
CoachAg19
AG
BadAggie said:

Beau Holder said:

So tonight Maldonado

Left the bases loaded
Got stolen on

Diaz needs more starts.

Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez and Tucker played in last two games and Astros scored 1 run in each game.

A pitcher can absolutely SELL OUT on those guys when he sees Singleton (don't care what anybody says, still unproven), Dubon, Kessinger, Maldy, Pena (doing somewhat better, but still), Meyers, and AGAIN Maldy behind them. Those guys listed went 4-27 in the last two days. I understand your 4 you mentioned didn't do much better the last few days, but again you have pitchers SELLING OUT to get them out. And you can do that when there's ZERO threat to hurt you behind them.
Class of 2010
htxag09
AG
Lol you have no idea either. Acting like Diaz being in means we win 6-0 is just as dumb as saying the result would be the same.

But…..this thread is bat **** crazy. Hell, someone posted tonight that singleton is our biggest hr threat.
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Most everyone liked the lineup today. Besides no Diaz, it wasn't a bad lineup. They hit the ball hard today. **** happens. It just sucks when you're in a pennant race.

Completely agree. We hit the crap out of the ball into outs and other than one player it's about as good a lineup as Dusty can put out there. There was a lot of bad luck.

However your primary "every pitcher wants him and he's amazing" catcher did no favors. That dropped strike was criminal. And it's not like it's his first this season. A major league catcher cannot whiff a strike like that. If you are "the guy" who is playing for defense when you bat in the 170s you damn sure can't miss that pitch. And Sparky wasn't real happy with the pitch selection tonight. Their first run was on a cutter that didn't cut and the next time he threw it Soler ate it up. It was the wrong pitch.

He's a liability. And it's costing runs.
redline248
AG
At least we still have Altuve to watch in the midst of these games.
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

W said:

since July 20th...

the Astros are a sparkling 12-1 in games in which Yainer starts

however on the bench for the second game-in-a-row
would recommend starting Yainer tomorrow

just a recommendation
He doesn't hit lefties well even if a righty is pitching...also he doesn't have the magic secret sauce Maldy has even though he throws out more runners, allows fewer pass balls, and can actually ****ing hit.

Also, JV loves him some Maldy, we don't know why and no one here will say exactly why but just condescendingly pat our heads and say Dusty knows best.

Oh, and don't complain...people are tired of reading it on a message board.

I stopped calling Dusty Donkey but it might just make a return and I could f***ing care less what y'all think.
spadilly
S
https://x.com/sportsvanessa/status/1691259618050056192?s=46&t=aFk0K5tY6OHQxk3jSP5B7A
CoachAg19
AG
htxag09 said:

Lol you have no idea either. Acting like Diaz being in means we win 6-0 is just as dumb as saying the result would be the same.

But…..this thread is bat **** crazy. Hell, someone posted tonight that singleton is our biggest hr threat.

I'll take the guy with a .274 average (T5 on our team) AND better defensive statistics over the .178 hitter and worse defensive statistics and say that the first guy gives us a MUCH better chance to win this game. Obviously it's all speculation and we'll never know. But it's fair to say that Diaz gives us a better chance to win what really was a close game.
Class of 2010
BadAggie
AG
CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

Beau Holder said:

So tonight Maldonado

Left the bases loaded
Got stolen on

Diaz needs more starts.

A pitcher can absolutely SELL OUT on those guys when he sees Singleton (don't care what anybody says, still unproven), Dubon, Kessinger, Maldy, Pena (doing somewhat better, but still), Meyers, and AGAIN Maldy behind them. Those guys listed went 4-27 in the last two days. I understand your 4 you mentioned didn't do much better the last few days, but again you have pitchers SELLING OUT to get them out. And you can do that when there's ZERO threat to hurt you behind them.

They can produce that's weak.

tremble
AG
Who also happens to leave the league in PBS. I just don't get it. If he's hurt, it's even worse that he's out there.
CoachAg19
AG
BadAggie said:

CoachAg19 said:

BadAggie said:

Beau Holder said:

So tonight Maldonado

Left the bases loaded
Got stolen on

Diaz needs more starts.

They can produce that's weak.

They can produce. If only Yordan's only hit tonight would've come out of the 3-hole in the top of the 7th with Altuve on 2nd to tie the game 2-2 instead of being in the 4-spot and leading off in the 8th.

Edit to add that it should've already been 2-2 had Maldy just stood still on a 3-1 count with 1 out and a runner on.
Class of 2010
redline248
AG
Here's some more fan stuff.

In August, Yainer was batting .303/.314/.515 with 8 RBI in 10 games before tonight. In those 10 games, the Astros were 6-4. Yainer didn't start in 3 of those games.

So, now the Astros are 6-5, and lost 4 games that Yainer didn't start.

(and btw, the one loss where he did start, Yainer was 2-5 with a HR and 2 RBI)
Farmer1906
AG
Look all this value Maldy is bringing. Just value to the opposing teams batter.

Boiling Denim
Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Completely agree. We hit the crap out of the ball into outs and other than one player it's about as good a lineup as Dusty can put out there. There was a lot of bad luck.

However your primary "every pitcher wants him and he's amazing" catcher did no favors. That dropped strike was criminal. And it's not like it's his first this season. A major league catcher cannot whiff a strike like that. If you are "the guy" who is playing for defense when you bat in the 170s you damn sure can't miss that pitch. And Sparky wasn't real happy with the pitch selection tonight. Their first run was on a cutter that didn't cut and the next time he threw it Soler ate it up. It was the wrong pitch.

He's a liability. And it's costing runs.

I think the Oriels jumped on his "cutter" a couple times too

Time to maybe remove that one from the arsenal for a bit
Boiling Denim
redline248 said:

Here's some more fan stuff.

In August, Yainer was batting .303/.314/.515 with 8 RBI in 10 games before tonight. In those 10 games, the Astros were 6-4. Yainer didn't start in 3 of those games.

So, now the Astros are 6-5, and lost 4 games that Yainer didn't start.

(and btw, the one loss where he did start, Yainer was 2-5 with a HR and 2 RBI)

Even a few of Maldy's recent wins catching have been flukey/non-sustainable

No hitter
Yankees game with 12 walks
Tucker grand slam
Proudag06
AG
Marvin said:

Now Diaz get an at bat, once the game is out of reach. So typical.

Diaz only hits off closers now.
Chrundle the Great
AG
I'm glad somebody brought up the cutter. It's not often sparky is that critical of pitch selection but he couldn't understand going back to that pitch.
Jaydoug
AG
BadAggie
AG
Dusty's not batting Maldy higher than 9

Yes, he should be benched at this point. He's dropped off a cliff defensively this season to go with his limited offensive production.

Still, Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez, Tucker, Chas, Peña, and the people's champ Singleton played in the last two games and 2 total runs to show for it. It's not all on Maldy.

Jaydoug
AG
Insane
Ag_07
AG
IIRC wasn't Framber heavy on the cutter during his rough patch in July?

He threw it very little in his no-no. Or at least at very select moments to keep hitters off his FB and CB.
FrioAg 00
AG
KC going to blow what was a 5-0 lead over Mariners

They've made is 4-5 in the 8th
BadAggie
AG
The continued regular presence of Maldanaldo in the lineup flies in the face of the use of any analytical approach to the game.

It is 100% a reflection of the pre modern old baseball hand approach that relied on bs like intangibles and locker room presence and instinct and batting lefties versus righties even when your righties hit better vs righties than your lefties.

Feels like Maldy can still contribute his intangibles and locker room presence from the bench at this point.
W
AG
that would hurt
f1ghtintexasaggie
R-Dog said:

Can't wait for the October interview...

"If we could have just gotten that bye and some rest, we probably could have made a deeper run."

Why do you need rest now? You pissed away game after game in April, May, June, July and August resting guys and not playing your best players. If that bye was so damn important, why didn't you manage like you wanted it?

100% so much this.
First Page Last Page
Page 1712 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.