***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,507,562 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

JV responds to the ny post tabloid story the other day. Basically they didn't like that he kept pointing out that their analytics dept sucked.
CoachAg19
AG
ESPN article just came out ranking the wild-card contenders down the stretch. Their prediction for us is that we tie the Rangers for the division title, but we will win the tiebreaker for the top spot.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Nice video recapping Singleton's story.

Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

JV responds to the ny post tabloid story the other day. Basically they didn't like that he kept pointing out that their analytics dept sucked.

Spot on

iamtheglove
TRM said:

I'd hate to see Urquidy traded. Not as good stuff as the others, but mentally tougher than Framber or Garcia.

I'm curious what Garcia has done to be seen as "not as mentally tough"? Not arguing, just curious.
tjack16
AG
CoachAg19 said:

ESPN article just came out ranking the wild-card contenders down the stretch. Their prediction for us is that we tie the Rangers for the division title, but we will win the tiebreaker for the top spot.

If we keep winning series and the Rangers actually drop a series now and then that'll happen.

I think 95-67 wins the division. Right now we are at a 93 win pace and the Rangers at a 96
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

CoachAg19 said:

If we keep winning series and the Rangers actually drop a series now and then that'll happen.

I think 95-67 wins the division. Right now we are at a 93 win pace and the Rangers at a 96

Fangraphs projects both at 93 wins.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

CoachAg19 said:

If we play .600 ball the rest of the way we will end up at 94-68.

But the Rangers would need to decline quite a bit to finish 93-69. In fact they'd have to go 23-21 to finish with only 93 wins.
BMX Bandit
iamtheglove said:

TRM said:

I'd hate to see Urquidy traded. Not as good stuff as the others, but mentally tougher than Framber or Garcia.

I'm curious what Garcia has done to be seen as "not as mentally tough"? Not arguing, just curious.
must be 5 innings with no runs in relief in game 3 of alds. mentally tough guy would have had zero hits instead of two
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is a crazy story. Going to be wild to see how this one plays out.
Boiling Denim
iamtheglove said:

TRM said:

Probably lingering feelings from the 2021 playoffs watching him get blown up on multiple occasions. He gave in to a lot of hitters that run and led to a lot of bad moments.
tjack16
AG
Boiling Denim said:

iamtheglove said:

TRM said:

Probably lingering feelings from the 2021 playoffs watching him get blown up on multiple occasions. He gave in to a lot of hitters that run and led to a lot of bad moments.

You mean like the shutout he pitched in game 6 of the 2021 ALCS? Or the 5 inning shutout relief appearance in the 2022 ALDS
All I do is Nguyen
Beat40 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

I read the girl lied to him, at the behest of her mom, to try and get close to Franco so they could get money out of him. If true, then he shouldn't be in too much trouble in my opinion. I agree that as an athlete he needs to protect himself and screen anyone trying to get close but if a girl lies about her age he shouldn't get in too much trouble.
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
stoneca
We're gonna win the division and break the rangerettes hearts. I can feel it.
CFTXAG10
AG
Sleeping under a rock apparently or just dazed and confused with a 6 week old baby at the house, because this was definitely me….

Boiling Denim
tjack16 said:

Boiling Denim said:

iamtheglove said:

TRM said:

You mean like the shutout he pitched in game 6 of the 2021 ALCS? Or the 5 inning shutout relief appearance in the 2022 ALDS

Sometimes the bad outweighs the good with fans. See the game thread during 2023 World Series Game 1 while Verlander was blowing the lead. See Brad Lidge. Will Harris as well. It's just fan stuff
AggieDub04
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

CoachAg19 said:

But the Rangers would need to decline quite a bit to finish 93-69. In fact they'd have to go 23-21 to finish with only 93 wins.
The winning % of our remaining opponents is .480. Our win % so far this year is .57. Based on pythagorean averages we should play .585 ball and get to 93.2 wins if everything is neutral. Houston has 22 at home and 21 away so a slighty more favorable draw gets it to 93.5. This is an oversimplification that doesn't account for Alvarez and Altuve being injured or adding Verlander so you could argue for another win, give or take. That pegs the Astros right at 94.5.

The Rangers remaining schedule is .503. Their predicted pythagorean average is .582 which gets them to 95.5 wins at neutral. They have 21 at home and 23 on the road which gets them to 95.0. Unfortunately for the Rangers they're going the opposite way on injuries and they didn't quite the boost at the trade deadline because Eovaldi will miss some more time. That costs them maybe a quarter of a game so you're at 94.8.

The Rangers will need to have a game or two lead going into the last few weeks. The Astros last 6 series are Oakland, Kansas City, Baltimore, Kansas City, Seattle, and Arizona. Half of those are against teams mailing it in and two series are against teams on the brink. The Rangers last 6 series are Toronto, Cleveland, Boston, Seattle, LAA, and Seattle. The only team in that group that looks cooked is LAA.

This will be an incredibly tight race down the stretch.

Panama Red
AG
Quote:

I read the girl lied to him, at the behest of her mom, to try and get close to Franco so they could get money out of him. If true, then he shouldn't be in too much trouble in my opinion. I agree that as an athlete he needs to protect himself and screen anyone trying to get close but if a girl lies about her age he shouldn't get in too much trouble.
Oh he's going to be in plenty trouble either way.
Farmer1906
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

He absolutely should be in trouble. I can understand being potentially tricked into a 1 night stand. But he's supposedly was in a relationship with this girl.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
AggieDub04 said:

tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

CoachAg19 said:

The winning % of our remaining opponents is .480. Our win % so far this year is .57. Based on pythagorean averages we should play .585 ball and get to 93.2 wins if everything is neutral. Houston has 22 at home and 21 away so a slighty more favorable draw gets it to 93.5. This is an oversimplification that doesn't account for Alvarez and Altuve being injured or adding Verlander so you could argue for another win, give or take. That pegs the Astros right at 94.5.

The Rangers remaining schedule is .503. Their predicted pythagorean average is .582 which gets them to 95.5 wins at neutral. They have 21 at home and 23 on the road which gets them to 95.0. Unfortunately for the Rangers they're going the opposite way on injuries and they didn't quite the boost at the trade deadline because Eovaldi will miss some more time. That costs them maybe a quarter of a game so you're at 94.8.

The Rangers will need to have a game or two lead going into the last few weeks. The Astros last 6 series are Oakland, Kansas City, Baltimore, Kansas City, Seattle, and Arizona. Half of those are against teams mailing it in and two series are against teams on the brink. The Rangers last 6 series are Toronto, Cleveland, Boston, Seattle, LAA, and Seattle. The only team in that group that looks cooked is LAA.

This will be an incredibly tight race down the stretch.

Astros tend to play up or down to their competition.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Feel like this is a direct shot at a couple Twitter accounts
Mathguy64
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Beat40 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Ah. The "I swear officer she said she was 18" defense. Works every time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

He absolutely should be in trouble. I can understand being potentially tricked into a 1 night stand. But he's supposedly was in a relationship with this girl.

In general, the US legal system doesn't accept ignorance as a defense. It's also going to be a very complicated situation to sort out for him (if any of this is true) because it crosses international borders.
texasaggie2015
AG
I absolutely love it
Farmer1906
AG
The kind of people you invest in matters. That, I think, is another point about why Tucker is less risky if given a mega deal. He's not a Tatis or Franco where you worry too much about off-the-field issues.
Farmer1906
AG
Is he calling Rome fanboy media? That doesn't make sense to me.

texasaggie2015
AG
What if he has a secret side we don't know about? What if he's like a Walter White during the off-season? You never know.. he is a Florida man.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's screwing around with him. Matt, Tags, and Chandler all have a good relationship.

I'm sure Matt was referring to accounts like Schwab, DuBose, Apollo, Jomboy, etc
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Is he calling Rome fanboy media? That doesn't make sense to me.

Chandler replied to tags and deleted his reply. I think he's giving him crap about that.
bearkatag15
AG

Codify is getting in on the Maldy bashing as well it seems.
txags92
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Codify is getting in on the Maldy bashing as well it seems.
Looking at those numbers makes me wonder if the umps are aware of Maldy's rep for framing pitches and over time have become less likely to give a pitcher a borderline strike when he is catching than if somebody else were catching.
W
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Ah. The "I swear officer she said she was 18" defense. Works every time.
for a famous athlete in the Dominican it might work.

it might be anything goes down there
W
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The kind of people you invest in matters. That, I think, is another point about why Tucker is less risky if given a mega deal. He's not a Tatis or Franco where you worry too much about off-the-field issues.
I thought of Tatis too

giving 20-year olds or 21-year olds long-term contracts...it's okay to wait a few years until they are older
First Page Last Page
Page 1693 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.