***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,512,809 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Belton Ag said:

Harry Dunne said:

Unrelated rules question:

If the runner stays on first, can the batter run through the first base bag? If that happens, do they at least avoid the double play?
Isn't the runner on first always forced to attempt to take second when a batter becomes a runner? So he wouldn't be able to "stay" on first, I wouldn't think, because he would be interfering with the attempt to force the batter/runner out at first.

Right?

The tag is required if the out at first happens first, so I think the force is removed and the runner can stay without jeopardy.

We've seen that on shots to first base. The fielder touches first base and throws to second, yelling tag tag tag. That means there is no force.

So, I think the runner could just stay there if the fielder drops the ball on purpose. The defense would then have to tag the runner and then touch the base (before the batter gets there) to make the double play. Touching the base first would negate the force.

I think.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Mr President Elect
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I'm pretty sure the batter takes 1B and the "runner" is out. The batter is entitled to 1B and runner is forced.

The only way this play works is if the batter is dumb and doesn't run. I always thought it's a place there should be an infield fly rule.
I disagree. If the batter doesn't hit it high enough to get to first in time or is too lazy to run it out, he should be penalized. It also makes for a fun play that doesn't happen too often. I actually think Altuve wanted to do this last week against the Yankees (I think), but Abreu came over and caught it instead.
AgLA06
AG
The safe play is for the runner at first to stay a step off the bag and the hitter to run it out. It's one of those plays where someone will be out and as a runner you make sure it's only one and give yourself up if the catch isn't made. If he does catch it, you just step back on the bag.
Mr President Elect
AG
Marvin said:

Belton Ag said:

Harry Dunne said:

If the runner stays on first, can the batter run through the first base bag? If that happens, do they at least avoid the double play?
Isn't the runner on first always forced to attempt to take second when a batter becomes a runner? So he wouldn't be able to "stay" on first, I wouldn't think, because he would be interfering with the attempt to force the batter/runner out at first.

Right?

The tag is required if the out at first happens first, so I think the force is removed and the runner can stay without jeopardy.

We've seen that on shots to first base. The fielder touches first base and throws to second, yelling tag tag tag. That means there is no force.

So, I think the runner could just stay there if the fielder drops the ball on purpose. The defense would then have to tag the runner and then touch the base (before the batter gets there) to make the double play. Touching the base first would negate the force.

I think.
Correct. I remember Bagwell doing this but he tagged the runner first and then stepped on the bag as the runner was still standing on first. Seemed pretty cleaver for a bang-bang.
Mathguy64
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Mathguy64 said:

I'm pretty sure the batter takes 1B and the "runner" is out. The batter is entitled to 1B and runner is forced.

The only way this play works is if the batter is dumb and doesn't run. I always thought it's a place there should be an infield fly rule.
I disagree. If the batter doesn't hit it high enough to get to first in time or is too lazy to run it out, he should be penalized. It also makes for a fun play that doesn't happen too often. I actually think Altuve wanted to do this last week against the Yankees (I think), but Abreu came over and caught it instead.

But if the batter runs the defense can do this and potentially swap a fast runner at 1B for a slow one. One aspect of the IFR is that it just makes the batter who popped up into the out the one who is out.
AggieJ2002
AG
Other thing to remember is dropping the ball on purpose can be a big risk as sometimes that ball has lots of spin and you never know the bounce you gonna get. If you try to "control" drop it to the ground they will call it a catch
Mr President Elect
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Mr President Elect said:

Mathguy64 said:

But if the batter runs the defense can do this and potentially swap a fast runner at 1B for a slow one. One aspect of the IFR is that it just makes the batter who popped up into the out the one who is out.
Yeah, but I don't have a problem with that. It is smart baseball. It's pretty rare they do that though as you are risking something going wrong instead of taking an automatic out.
Cromagnum
AG
Harry Dunne said:

That should have been infield fly rule.
yawny06
AG
Yea, outs are hard to get. Passing up a for sure out just seems dumb. Sure, it can work out but there is also a lot that can go wrong, like the ball taking a bad bounce or 2B /SS not going to cover the bag because they think you are going to catch the ball (which would happen nearly 100% of the time).
annie88
AG
Post removed:
by user
cap-n-jack
https://www.mlb.com/glossary/rules/infield-fly
Welp, that didn't post so here's a hot or not.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Linzy needs to give HEB and Trill Burgers a call.

Bob Lee
AG
Does he really not have an agent? That has to be unusual, right? I assume the phones are lighting up if true.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AgLA06
AG
Bob Lee said:

Does he really not have an agent? That has to be unusual, right? I assume the phones are lighting up if true.
Not necessarily for a player long forgotten and who was in the mexican league.

No agent wants to work for free.
falcon09
AG
Frok said:

The orange caps…..those quietly disappeared along with the orange billed blue caps.
Used to wear them every Sunday home game, then they just stopped at the end of May 2015 (except one more time that August). I really like the ones where the star was all the same navy blue. They really should bring them back, along with some sort of discernible schedule to which uniform they'll wear.

The orange bill hat disappearance has been a little more insidious. From '13 to '17 they wore it about 95% of the time with the gray jerseys. '18 and '19 it was about 40% and '21 to '22 it was under 10%. They haven't worn them with the gray jerseys at all last year or this year. Just a few times with the orange or blue jerseys.

There was also an hat with a blue bill that they only wore with the blue jerseys from '16 to '18. I was not a fan of those.
Farmer1906
AG
Sexy

https://x.com/michaelschwab13/status/1690436950711209984?s=46&t=J1zddlNQ5vKg9XkFdLR6ng
tremble
AG
OMFG, Dusty did it. The perfect lineup
Beau Holder
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

What is he even attempting to say here
Farmer1906
AG
Do "x"s no longer work like tweets?
txags11
AG
Best lineup we've seen!!!!
jah003
S
This lineup is guaranteed to put up 1 run and never be seen again.
Ciboag96
txags11 said:

bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Thinking about going back tonight…
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

What is he even attempting to say here

It's past time for Abreu to ride pine and for someone else to get time. Dusty says no one else has proven they are worthy of taking his spot despite him not giving anyone the opportunity to prove themselves (that way he doesn't have to sit the veteran).
AggieJ2002
AG
Today's lineup seems like my ideal playoff lineup at this point
Post removed:
by user
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Thinking about going back tonight…

Mathguy64
AG
Damn Lizard has been trolling us for 4 months.
Prosperdick
AG
txags11 said:

Nice Dusty! Hopefully the bats continue staying alive. Crazy that Ted and Yordan didn't do squat last night but I doubt that becomes a trend.
Eso si, Que es
txags11 said:

TRM
AG
jah003 said:

This lineup is guaranteed to put up 1 run and never be seen again.

stoneca
stoneca said:

Imagine this lineup

Altuve
Bregman
Tucker
Yordan
Diaz
Singleton
Chas
Peña
Myers

That 1-7 is lethal

DUSTY LISTENED!
First Page Last Page
Page 1661 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.