***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,512,787 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BadAggie said:

Having a live bat like Singleton's in the bottom 3rd changes this offense. Also Peña's starting to hit.

Still need Abreu to return, maybe the back thing has been the issue. If so doesn't seem like there would be a quick fix though.

If the back is the issue it has been going on for a while. Either he hid it from the team and if so put himself above the team or the manager didn't care and didn't want to have someone he was holding back look like a viable replacement. Either way it was a bad choice by whoever let this continue. Egos be damned its going to be a hard 45 games based on the decisions that have been made with players this year. A few tweaks and they would be in control of the division. Just my 2 cents.
AgLA06
AG
Or someone decided the guy they over payed was going to play.

It doesn't really matter at this point.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
cap-n-jack said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I get what y'all are saying but double steals are triggered by the lead runner. Runner on first goes once the lead runner goes.

Is this really true? Once the sign is given aren't they both off with the pitch.

Sorry got busy last night and just checking up. The lead runner could have missed the sign, there could be a pickoff attempt, or any other number of things. The trail runner is keying off the lead runner
McInnis
AG
Strategy said:

Wabs said:

Just checking in here. But man, hearing Brownie on the call really brought back some memories for me. Loved it!

And we apparently have a new first baseman.

This isn't talked about enough. I love Blummer…but man I miss Milo and Brown. Would be cool to bring Brown back from time to time.

I agree but I still think Larry Dierker was the best color guy the Astros have ever had. He knew a ton about the Astros, past and present, and could let you know without talking about himself.
Ag_07
AG
W said:

it may be up to the Astros to stop the Mariners hot streak next weekend

Been there
Done that
Got the tshirt
linkdude
AG
talk about falling off a cliff...
tjack16
AG
linkdude said:

talk about falling off a cliff...

Them and the Pirates were a fun story for a while
irish pete ag06
AG
AggiEE said:

Look whose here getting groovy

Man Villar had million $ tools and a 10 cent head.

And again. Those orange hats are fire.
Ag_07
AG
Villar still managed to have a decent career. Nothing special but 9 years in the league is nothing to scoff at.
Farmer1906
AG
22 M and 7.1 years of service.
Dies Irae
Man after those prodigious bat flips from Singleton last night I was trying to remember the name of our pudgy 3B before Bregman who also had some masterful bat flips and remembered: Luis Valbuena.

I didn't realize he died in a car accident shortly after he left the Astros
Farmer1906
AG
I loved watching Valbuena play. Rip
Teddy Perkins
AG
tjack16 said:

Question: does Yuli get his ring this week in Miami? They don't come to Houston for a return trip
Yes, he does. The Stros will present it to him in Miami, per TK and Blummer. They were excited to catch up with Yuli and mentioned the team is as well.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
What are the chances of having two guys with "great stories" of dedication and finally making it this year with Julks and Singleton. But I do have to say of the two I'd pick Singleton to be the one that completes it. Not just because he is more of a position of need but to beat those demons possibly and have the dedication and sacrifice to give it a last shot and be making it back is awesome. He was the first guy I learned what a AAAA player was back years ago
yawny06
AG
tjack16 said:

Tonight the Mets got 7 hits, drew 9 walks and scored…. 0 runs

Vogelbach earned a golden sombrero and very audible boos from the crowd. He went 0-5, including going 0-4 with RISP, including striking out on a pitch that literally hit him (video above).
tjack16
AG
One of these is not like the others
Mr.Bond
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Clanton crushes these
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Cromagnum
AG
irish pete ag06 said:

AggiEE said:

Look whose here getting groovy

Man Villar had million $ tools and a 10 cent head.

And again. Those orange hats are fire.

Yep. I have one. I want to find a fitted one that's blue with the orange bill but have came up empty so far.
Chef Elko
AG
Talking about Luis Valbuena reminds me of the Bat Fleep calls on 97.5

https://www.espn975.com/bench-astros-drinks-choice-luis-valbuenas-bat-fleep/
cap-n-jack
You think he's ever going to make it to the show? I've got to think no at this point. Kind of sad actually.
Prosperdick
AG
yawny06 said:

tjack16 said:

Tonight the Mets got 7 hits, drew 9 walks and scored…. 0 runs

Vogelbach earned a golden sombrero and very audible boos from the crowd. He went 0-5, including going 0-4 with RISP, including striking out on a pitch that literally hit him (video above).
You mean Vogelfat...get his name right.
Harry Dunne
Unrelated rules question:

If the runner stays on first, can the batter run through the first base bag? If that happens, do they at least avoid the double play?
RED AG 98
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

From the article:

Quote:

"I could tell that something was wrong," Baker said on Friday. "He wasn't using his legs, which is connected to the lower back, where the pain is. I could just sort of tell the way he was swinging, the way he was moving. Hopefully they can get that subsided and he can get back to being Abreu."
Not sure why but this struck me as pretty funny. He's been doing that damn T-Rex swing since May, perhaps excepting a nice run for a couple of weeks in June.
Mathguy64
AG
I'm pretty sure the batter takes 1B and the "runner" is out. The batter is entitled to 1B and runner is forced.

The only way this play works is if the batter is dumb and doesn't run. I always thought it's a place there should be an infield fly rule.
Belton Ag
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Unrelated rules question:

If the runner stays on first, can the batter run through the first base bag? If that happens, do they at least avoid the double play?
Isn't the runner on first always forced to attempt to take second when a batter becomes a runner? So he wouldn't be able to "stay" on first, I wouldn't think, because he would be interfering with the attempt to force the batter/runner out at first.

Right?
AggiEE
Isn't the in field fly rule in effect?
Belton Ag
AG
AggiEE said:

Not here because first is the only occupied base during the AB.
Mathguy64
AG
AggiEE said:

The IFR is not in effect with only a man on 1B.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Has to be force play at Third, I believe.
BMX Bandit
AggiEE said:

Not if only first base occupied
tjack16
AG
cap-n-jack said:

You think he's ever going to make it to the show? I've got to think no at this point. Kind of sad actually.

I dont think so unless it's an Appel situation where he makes it with another team
irish pete ag06
AG
Yes he did, but you could see that if he ever put it all together he was a 5 tool guy.

There was a lot of evidence to suggest he was not too smart. Missed mysteriously one time for what most thought was a fight.
irish pete ag06
AG
Loved Valbuena. I remember the car accident news. Tragic
Ag_07
AG
Valbuena was bat flippin seeing eye singles

Loved that dude
Dies Irae
irish pete ag06 said:

Loved Valbuena. I remember the car accident news. Tragic

The best thing about him were the insane bat flips on routine grounders to short stop
First Page Last Page
Page 1660 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.