***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,446,205 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

I just think some of yall are setting the bar VERY high with Singleton.

He's replacing someone on an 0-36 run. And potentially take ABs from Captain Lou Abreu. You would need a micrometer and laser level to find the height of this bar.
The expectation for Jon should be for him to be no better than Abreu.

My expectation is he's a bench player/day off for Abreu/LH PH (aka Madris) so anything more than that is a win.

I hope for him that he runs into one. It's a great story if he does.
I think this is a realistic expectation. I just think there are a lot here who expect a lot more of him that what I believe he will bring in reality.

Between his performance in AAA for 2 seasons, the ability to draw walks, good batted ball metrics, and his history (seen plenty of adversity) I think there is reason to believe in him.
I guess this is a case for me of "see it to believe it" at the MLB level. Again, I want him to contribute. I am just not as high on it as a lot of people are. Also, I think he should absolutely get his shot as Madris and Julks got theirs. I'm not against giving him the shot. I'm just tempered in my expectations.
txags92
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Y'all are going to be very disappointed when you see who starts behind the plate almost every game in the playoffs

I fully expect Dusty to do what he's been doing all season, even if it costs a game in the playoffs.
Maldy will not cost us a game in the playoffs if Dusty orders the top of the line up correctly. The same damn team won the WS with a bad hitting Maldy last post-season too.
That team had Gurriel and a Pena that wasn't hitting close to the Mendoza line.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Y'all are going to be very disappointed when you see who starts behind the plate almost every game in the playoffs

No we won't. We will ***** and yell about it, but we most definitely will NOT be surprised or disappointed. To be disappointed, you'd have to express hope or belief something different is possible. We know that is not the case.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
Gurriel was quite bad last year.
redline248
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

In the playoffs?

which is what the previous poster was meaning
texasaggie2015
AG
Fair enough, didn't read that right
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He hit .347 with an .850 OPS in the 2022 playoffs.
txags92
AG
txags92 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

He hit .347 with an .850 OPS in the 2022 playoffs.
And Pena hit .345 with a 1.005 OPS in the playoffs last year. You can afford to have Maldy hitting like a pitcher if you have those two guys hitting like that in addition to Alvarez, Altuve, Tucker, Bregman in your lineup.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yes, see above. I read your post wrong.
SW-14
AG
What was the deal with the Tim Anderson/Jose Ramirez blow up? I saw the replay and it looked like Anderson was a little ***** because Ramirez slid between his legs. Then he continued being a little ***** and started a fist fight, which he lost. Why was Ramirez suspended for defending himself?
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yes, see above. I read your post wrong.
Sorry, was looking up the stats and didn't see your reply. I agree with you that Dusty is going to try to make it happen again with Maldy doing nearly all the catching, but we are going to need several guys to step their hitting WAY up to get us there unless the bullpen decides to revert to last year's post-season form.
Prosperdick
AG
SW-14 said:

What was the deal with the Tim Anderson/Jose Ramirez blow up? I saw the replay and it looked like Anderson was a little ***** because Ramirez slid between his legs. Then he continued being a little ***** and started a fist fight, which he lost. Why was Ramirez suspended for defending himself?
Not sure but I do know this...if Ramirez played for the Rangers they'd already be building a statue of him out front of their horse barn stadium.
tjack16
AG
Not that I would wish injury because I dont … but it's wild that Maldonado hasn't gotten injured once the last few years being his age and not in the best shape. Catching takes a toll on you but it doesn't seem to effect him.

Hats off to him for staying healthy
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
He's had a sports hernia and an injured hand. He's just apparently the only player able to play through an injury
Beat40
tjack16 said:

Not that I would wish injury because I dont … but it's wild that Maldonado hasn't gotten injured once the last few years being his age and not in the best shape. Catching takes a toll on you but it doesn't seem to effect him.

Lonestar answered for me.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

I thought he was hurt last year but played through it... or hid it. Broke his hand in August, or am I making something up?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
redline248
AG
Quote:

He's just apparently the only player able to play through an injury
Or the only one a team won't immediately shut down b/c of it
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

He's had a sports hernia and an injured hand. He's just apparently the only player able to play through an injury

Meanwhile MVP candidate Yordan gets the sniffles and has a 2 week long set back
Dies Irae
Prosperdick said:

Texaggie7nine said:

She seems like a cool lady...makes me root for Jon even harder. Would be a terrific comeback story.

Makes me feel good for the family too. Every game he is on the active roster he makes $4500 or so. You hang around for 2 months and that's almost $250k
linkdude
AG
Dies Irae said:

Prosperdick said:

Texaggie7nine said:

She seems like a cool lady...makes me root for Jon even harder. Would be a terrific comeback story.

Makes me feel good for the family too. Every game he is on the active roster he makes $4500 or so. You hang around for 2 months and that's almost $250k
big plus given that they just had a second kid, I believe.
astros4545
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I fully expect Dusty to do what he's been doing all season, even if it costs a game in the playoffs.
Maldy will not cost us a game in the playoffs if Dusty orders the top of the line up correctly. The same damn team won the WS with a bad hitting Maldy last post-season too.

Problem is Maldy is a bad defender

You can't even ignore his bat, I want to ignore his glove as well
texasaggie2015
AG

The Astros think he could contribute as early as next year. They like him.
Teddy Perkins
AG

cc10106
That's the "sleep with one eye open, Mr. Dubose" look.
Mathguy64
AG
Ah the irony in that group photo. Chas is stuck behind Dusty and you can't really see him.
AgLA06
AG
Dusty manages his look about as well as he's managed the team this year. WTH is that ensemble?!?
MAROON
AG
I know Bregman is from New Mexico but he's a coon ass at heart. Wearing sneakers with a suit to the White House. Surprised he didn't wear white shrimper boots - New Iberia Ropers.
heavens11
AG
Brother Phil. Never let 'em see you smile my dude
"It's just another corps trip boys, we'll march in behind the band"
BadAggie
AG
heavens11 said:

Brother Phil. Never let 'em see you smile my dude

Brother Phil: "Coach, I can't feel my arm."

Dusty: "Throw some more, that'll bring it back son."

Brother Phil punches locker.
Bulldog73
AG
He looks like he bought it off the knockoff Steve Harvey clearance rack.
mwm
Those boys clean-up pretty good, don't they?

Let's do it again...
TarponChaser
AgLA06 said:

Dusty manages his look about as well as he's managed the team this year. WTH is that ensemble?!?

Al Sharpton is his style guru.

And it's mildly disorienting to see Stanek not looking like complete white trash.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Anyone else find it funny they have a women's cut jersey
Cromagnum
AG
mwm said:

Those boys clean-up pretty good, don't they?

Let's do it again...

And with a better president to take a picture with next time.
GhostWipe15
AG
So… why is Yainer there, but no France?
First Page Last Page
Page 1561 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.