***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,446,751 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
BadAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big series versus Astro Juniors starts tomorrow
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

He brings so much more to the table than Bligh Madris. Do you really think that Madris could swing a game late? I don't. This move could very well change a loss into a win. When the standings are as tight as they are right now, that's huge.

I get all that.

But cmon...The guy was 3 for 29 in 11 games with the Brewers earlier this season.

Those are Jose Abreu numbers
But not Julks' numbers lol. Seriously though, he's been mashing AAA and sometimes it takes longer for guys to figure it out, especially someone who has had issues between the ears like Jon.

Odds say he will be closer to what he did at Milwaukee than going on a tear but hopefully he's figured some stuff out and gives us a left-handed option with pop. It's more than what we acquired at the trade deadline (from a batting perspective of course).
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bearkatag15 said:

This is an extreme example of what can happen when a team's tv announcer isn't all sunshine and rainbows about the team.

How freaking stupid. He should sew if he's fired. Nothing was wrong with what he said and the end he was even explaining how the Rays are really good and they're beating them.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

You would be surprised. I was in broadcasting for several years and there's certain teams and/or networks that are very particular about what you can and can't say and there's a zero tolerance policy if you break those rules.

I did play-by-play for a baseball team once and their rule was you can't mention the weather at all unless you refer to it as a "perfect day". I got in trouble for saying "warm summer day".

I also did some work for a team that wouldn't allow me to say they "lost" under any circumstances. I had to say things like "came up short".
I figured it out!!! You're Blummer aren't you!

Maaah the Meatloaf!
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Mr.Ackar07
Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

He brings so much more to the table than Bligh Madris. Do you really think that Madris could swing a game late? I don't. This move could very well change a loss into a win. When the standings are as tight as they are right now, that's huge.

I get all that.

But cmon...The guy was 3 for 29 in 11 games with the Brewers earlier this season.

But not Julks' numbers lol. Seriously though, he's been mashing AAA and sometimes it takes longer for guys to figure it out, especially someone who has had issues between the ears like Jon.

Odds say he will be closer to what he did at Milwaukee than going on a tear but hopefully he's figured some stuff out and gives us a left-handed option with pop. It's more than what we acquired at the trade deadline (from a batting perspective of course).
And not to mention, even if he is a flash in the pan (i.e. just a hot streak), the Astros can use a "flash" in the lineup right now.
All I do is Nguyen
bearkatag15 said:

This is an extreme example of what can happen when a team's tv announcer isn't all sunshine and rainbows about the team.

Seriously??? That wasn't even that bad. Maybe the orioles media dept is just soft
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
2ndChanceAg96
AG
It is Baltimore btw!!
Prosperdick
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

She seems like a cool lady...makes me root for Jon even harder. Would be a terrific comeback story.
cc10106
Feeling good about this series as we've played well overall against against top teams on the road so far. Baltimore had our number last year until we basically stole the last 2 games at Camden Yards late in the season.

Dusty didn't need to say the part about it being their biggest series in a while. They already play in the AL East, dude.
Beat40
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Can you imagine a line up of:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Tucker RF
Yordan LF
McCormick CF
Abreu 1B/DH
Diaz C
Singleton DH/1B
Pena SS

I cannot imagine that line-up very often for a few reasons:

1) Maldy catching JV and Framber
2) Yordan is absolutely going DH so Dusty can run out a good defensive outfield with Chas/Jake/Kyle.
3) As much as I want it to work out, I do not think Singleton is going to be any better than Abreu.

To expand on point 1 - if the Astros make the post-season, Maldy will be catching 4/7 games.
agproducer
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

bearkatag15 said:

Seriously??? That wasn't even that bad. Maybe the orioles media dept is just soft

Really?? I mean.... Really???
AgLA06
AG
Beat40 said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Tucker RF
Yordan LF
McCormick CF
Abreu 1B/DH
Diaz C
Singleton DH/1B
Pena SS

2) Yordan is absolutely going DH so Dusty can run out a good defensive outfield with Chas/Jake/Kyle.
3) As much as I want it to work out, I do not think Singleton is going to be any better than Abreu.

To expand on point 1 - if the Astros make the post-season, Maldy will be catching 4/7 games.

Coaching malpractice.
SECcess12
All I do is Nguyen said:

bearkatag15 said:

Just wait till they run into our social media team. We hand out tissues.
Beat40
Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

I get all that.

I hope Jon does well, but the sometimes it takes longer line did make me laugh. Maybe it took him...checks notes...8 years to figure it out.

Let me also say I agree he's no worse an option than Madris, Julks, or guys like him. I think the expectation should be he will be no better than Abreu though.
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

Beat40 said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Tucker RF
Yordan LF
McCormick CF
Abreu 1B/DH
Diaz C
Singleton DH/1B
Pena SS

Coaching malpractice.
If that's what that HOFer and team ACE want, that's what they'll get. Framber got to call the shots on what uniform the entire team wore. You tell JV and Framber they can't have Maldy in the biggest games of the season and see how that goes over.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

I just think some of yall are setting the bar VERY high with Singleton.

He's replacing someone on an 0-36 run. And potentially take ABs from Captain Lou Abreu. You would need a micrometer and laser level to find the height of this bar.
The expectation for Jon should be for him to be no better than Abreu.
AgLA06
AG
Beat40 said:

AgLA06 said:

Beat40 said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Tucker RF
Yordan LF
McCormick CF
Abreu 1B/DH
Diaz C
Singleton DH/1B
Pena SS

Coaching malpractice.
If that's what that HOFer and team ACE want, that's what they'll get. Framber got to call the shots on what uniform the entire team wore. You tell JV and Framber they can't have Maldy in the biggest games of the season and see how that goes over.

This is going to shock you, but it isn't the coaches job to cater to a player, it's to make the best decision for the team.
texasaggie2015
AG
Y'all are going to be very disappointed when you see who starts behind the plate almost every game in the playoffs
spadilly
S

Off days…

Mathguy64
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

He's replacing someone on an 0-36 run. And potentially take ABs from Captain Lou Abreu. You would need a micrometer and laser level to find the height of this bar.

My expectation is he's a bench player/day off for Abreu/LH PH (aka Madris) so anything more than that is a win.

I hope for him that he runs into one. It's a great story if he does.
Prosperdick
AG
Beat40 said:

Prosperdick said:

Ag_07 said:

OKCAg2002 said:

I get all that.

I hope Jon does well, but the sometimes it takes longer line did make me laugh. Maybe it took him...checks notes...8 years to figure it out.

Let me also say I agree he's no worse an option than Madris, Julks, or guys like him. I think the expectation should be he will be no better than Abreu though.
Half of those 8 years he was completely out of pro ball and didn't know if he'd ever play again battling substance abuse and depression. It's not like he was kicking around the minors for 8 years.
tjack16
AG
spadilly said:

Off days…

I've been wondering when they will add the second ring to that display outside the stadium.

Edit: wrong emoticon.. was supposed to be the question mark
JDUB08AG
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Y'all are going to be very disappointed when you see who starts behind the plate almost every game in the playoffs
But will Diaz DH? Or will the threat of losing the DH be enough to scare Dusty in the playoffs?
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I fully expect Dusty to do what he's been doing all season, even if it costs a game in the playoffs.
Ag_07
AG
Fair enough

But a lot can be said for keeping your ace and reigning CY HOF pitcher happy and not rocking the boat.

Kinda like when Dusty opted to not warm up Pressly in the 9th of the no-no.
Beat40
AgLA06 said:

Beat40 said:

AgLA06 said:

Beat40 said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

Altuve 2B
Bregman 3B
Tucker RF
Yordan LF
McCormick CF
Abreu 1B/DH
Diaz C
Singleton DH/1B
Pena SS

Coaching malpractice.

This is going to shock you, but it isn't the coaches job to cater to a player, it's to make the best decision for the team.
This is going to shock you, but in every sport successful veterans have a ton of pull with their organization and most get what they want.
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

So we wanna take bets on what nasty BP arm Dusty chooses to give Jon his first AB against when we're down late with 2 outs and the winning run in scoring position?

IDK, but it'll be a left hand pitcher
Beat40
Still, 8 years is a really long time to just say sometimes it takes guys a long time to figure it out.

I hope like hell Jon contributes. In my head, I just don't think he's going to be any better than Abreu.
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I fully expect Dusty to do what he's been doing all season, even if it costs a game in the playoffs.
Maldy will not cost us a game in the playoffs if Dusty orders the top of the line up correctly. The same damn team won the WS with a bad hitting Maldy last post-season too.
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

Fair enough

But a lot can be said for keeping your ace and reigning CY HOF pitcher happy and not rocking the boat.

Kinda like when Dusty opted to not warm up Pressly in the 9th of the no-no.
No, you can never cater to a player ever. Having a mentally clear pitcher in the game of baseball doesn't matter in big games. It's best for the team for the manager to never consider things like that when filling out the line-up or making in game decisions.
linkdude
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

why would we be disappointed? Something about insanity and expecting things to change before a full off-season. Diaz will be the number 1 next year, but it just ain't happening before next March/April.
BadAggie
AG
Just bat Jake the Rake Meyers cleanup
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

My expectation is he's a bench player/day off for Abreu/LH PH (aka Madris) so anything more than that is a win.

I think this is a realistic expectation. I just think there are a lot here who expect a lot more of him that what I believe he will bring in reality.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Ag_07 said:

I think this is a realistic expectation. I just think there are a lot here who expect a lot more of him that what I believe he will bring in reality.

Between his performance in AAA for 2 seasons, the ability to draw walks, good batted ball metrics, and his history (seen plenty of adversity) I think there is reason to believe in him.
First Page Last Page
Page 1560 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.