***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,456,035 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bad lineup = bad result

sheer incompetence to continue stacking the lineup with .600 OPS hitters

trying to draw to an inside straight every game (except last night)
redline248
AG
Mathguy64 said:

redline248 said:

Urquidy pitching tomorrow? If so that means Maldy, again. Good chance we see Julks. Who else needs a day off?

Really and truly Peña does.
Yes, he does. I guess Dubon filling in for a game isn't exactly a downgrade at the plate.
J Peterman
AG
F YOU MIKE FRIERS…..and F you Crain for thinking Dusty knows what's he's doing.
W
AG
Kashchei said:

stoneca said:

And we're probably back to 2.5 GB, after we had a million chances to go into 1st in the division

Gifting the division to Arlington
yep, folks need to put at least 50% of their attention on the wildcard race
The Beef01
AG
I'm gonna bet the zone today will show almost a 2-run advantage to the Yankees….I was watching the MLB pitch tracker and they were consistently getting calls that Astros pitchers weren't.

The lineup was terrible, but the Astros don't strike out at a high rate and with how they went today…there was something off in a big way. The team started swinging at bad pitches in the late innings b/c they had no idea what the zone was gonna be.
Aggie8587
AG
Still laughing that Yordan had to sit there in the on deck circle without getting a chance to bat in the 9th

Dusty Baker is such a POS idiot
stoneca
Can the marlins please beat the rangers…
W
AG
tjack16 said:

If we don't split this series, inexcusable

This is the worst Yankees team since 2016
and Judge has been a non-factor this weekend
W
AG
someone needs to explain again why batting order doesn't matter

lol
aggie813
As much as I can't stand Dusty ( can't wait till he's gone) His lineup really had nothing to do with today's loss.
1 for 18....batters 1-6. Five of our top six hitters were in that order.
Gotta do better than that to win on the road, in NY. Just saying.
Beau Holder
AG
Rays losing at least.

Can't really do anything but move on and scoreboard watch with the most confident idiot in baseball steering this ship completely unchecked.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
redline248 said:

Mathguy64 said:

redline248 said:

Urquidy pitching tomorrow? If so that means Maldy, again. Good chance we see Julks. Who else needs a day off?

Really and truly Peña does.
Yes, he does. I guess Dubon filling in for a game isn't exactly a downgrade at the plate.

"Grae had some good at bats yesterday, we're gonna give him another shot" - Dusty, probably tomorrow
tjack16
AG
aggie813 said:

As much as I can't stand Dusty ( can't wait till he's gone) His lineup really had nothing to do with today's loss.

Yeah his lineup sucked but Tucker, Bregman, Alvarez, and Chas all were awful today. Not sure how different the game would have been with Diaz instead of Kessinger. Might have been 3-2 but he would have had to go deep
AggiEE
aggie813 said:

The problem is you never know

He left off Diaz and Abreu, both of which are improvements over who he started today
Prosperdick
AG
Prosperdick said:

07ag said:

Yay more whining from everyone about dusty and lineup construction
It's a message board, dude. Sorry we're upset about a stubborn ass manager who continues to bat one of the weakest hitters on the team 2nd and inexplicably bats not only the best hitter on the team but one of the best hitters in baseball 5th because someone told Donkey in 1972 that you always split your lefty bats up.
I'm a wizard...oh wait, I'm not. Everyone was saying the same thing and people were getting mad that we were complaining about an absolute dog s**t lineup.

Tomorrow will be very interesting to see how Donkey plays it. Please surprise me you stubborn ass hole.
tjack16
AG
AggiEE said:

aggie813 said:

He left off Diaz and Abreu, both of which are improvements over who he started today

I'll give you Diaz but Abreu has been awful recently. At this point Kessinger wasn't a downgrade from Jose
AggiEE
tjack16 said:

AggiEE said:

aggie813 said:

I'll give you Diaz but Abreu has been awful recently. At this point Kessinger wasn't a downgrade from Jose

Abreu has been awful the last few games, but he's still doing better in general than anyone else we have at his position.
aggie813
It wouldn't come down to Abreu if 1-6 (1/18) would do better at the plate...no matter what the order is.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
halfastros81
AG
Exactly. Our better hitters were just flat bad today. Hp umpire didn't help to be sure.
CoachAg19
AG
My biggest issue the entire time we've had Dusty Baker as our manager is that he shows ZERO urgency to win a series. Today's lineup construction and choices are a prime example of this. Time and time again he trots out guys who shouldn't be out there or shifts the lineup around for seemingly no reason and doesn't allow the struggling players to have any consistency.

You're 1-1 in this series going into today. You're offense was hot last night. You KNEW this would likely be a bullpen game knowing that the Yankees starter was going to be on a pitch limit. You had a prime chance to demoralize that team and fan base with another win while JV makes his return.

Maldy and Kessinger had NO business being in the lineup at all today. Diaz is a top 5 hitter on our team, he's much better defensively than Maldy, and he hit a 3-run HR yesterday. I cannot possibly fathom how anybody could think that Maldy batting in the 8th was a good idea after we just got our second hit of the day and with only one out. Abreu should've gotten that AB. And Kessinger…I have absolutely no idea why this guy is even with the club. With what we've seen from him, he would struggle in Sugar Land.

Pena is a prime example of the lack of consistency contributing to his struggles. He went 0-4 in game 1 out of the 2-spot. Slide him down to the 8-spot and he goes 2-3. Infield singles or not…sometimes guys just need to see something good happen. So what do you do? Move him back to the 2-spot, and he goes 0-3. All of this in a matter of three days. That inconsistency is not easy on any player, but it is especially difficult on a young and struggling player. It actually makes me appreciate even more what Diaz has been able to do. He's thriving in spite of the inconsistency.

We've been able to afford this foolishness the last few years because we've been relatively healthy and the big name guys have carried us. We CANNOT afford that when we are sitting in second place and fighting for a wild card spot. After the game tomorrow with NY, this is what the rest of the schedule looks like:
O's
Angels
Marlins
Mariners
Red Sox
Tigers
Red Sox
Yankees
Rangers
Padres
A's
Royals
O's
Royals
Mariners
D-Backs
We are where we are this season because, even with so many injuries, we still have GREAT players who have carried us through bad managerial decisions. With JV back, and with Altuve and Yordan healthy, there's definitely hope that we can close strong and stay in the wild card or possibly even catch the Rangers. Our team is flat out that talented even with foolish decisions like today. Urgency to win EVERY SINGLE DAY NO MATTER WHAT…that's what I need/want to see from Dusty Baker down the stretch.
Class of 2010
AggiEE
aggie813 said:

It wouldn't come down to Abreu if 1-6 (1/18) would do better at the plate...no matter what the order is.

We don't know. If Dusty added Diaz and Abreu it could have changed the game. Putting more pressure on pitchers means better opportunities for everyone else in the lineup
wangus12
AG
With Dusty continuing to manage like this, we aren't catching the Rangers. Just get healthy I guess and stay in the WC playoffs
jopatura
AG
Abreu has played most of the season, so I don't blame today on the fact that he had an off day.

Dana needs to send down one of the bench riders and bring a catcher back up. Fact is we need a 3rd catcher so Diaz can DH when Maldy is catching. If Maldy has to catch, then Diaz has to DH. They can figure out the playoffs when they get there.

I don't think the day to day lineup has that much effect, but when the boys get to the clubhouse and realize we're rolling with the Z squad, they don't play with as much pop.
Prosperdick
AG
halfastros81 said:

Exactly. Our better hitters were just flat bad today. Hp umpire didn't help to be sure.
They were bad yet who knows what happens if Diaz bats 5th today like he did just one f***ing day ago. Also, it would mean no Kessinger to miss a hit and run and strike out. It also would mean Pena batting at the bottom of the order, like one f***ing day ago. It also would mean Yordan getting another AB today, like one f***ing day ago.

I can almost guarantee you every Astro who saw the lineup card today was puzzled and probably frustrated save for Kessinger, who was probably just nervous (not his fault. he didn't force himself into the lineup).

We need these 6 EVERY. F***ING. GAME:
Altuve
Bregman
Yordan
Tucker
Diaz
Chas

Donkey can play with the other 3 to his heart's content but those 6 together are what we need opposing pitchers to navigate day after day.
halfastros81
AG
I Don't disagree with you.
Dies Irae
"You're laughing? A confused elderly man living 40 years in the past is ruining our shot at the World Series and you're laughing?"
Prosperdick
AG
wangus12 said:

With Dusty continuing to manage like this, we aren't catching the Rangers. Just get healthy I guess and stay in the WC playoffs
I'm afraid you're right. Unless Crane/Dana force him to keep a consistent lineup with our BEST hitters 1-6 we're not making a run.

It has to be demoralizing for this team to see us put up 7 runs with a "new" lineup and Dusty not only going back to his crap lineup, but adding Kessinger as insult to injury with Yordonger standing on the on deck circle.

ETA - tale of two teams. Rangers big acquisition, Mad Max, craps the bed in the first inning against a crappy White Sox team (very similar to the Yankees) but because Bochy doesn't hit their worst hitter 2nd and best hitter 5th (while sitting one of their better hitters for no good f***ing reason) they are able to come back and win. JV pitches his ass off and we all know what happened, no need to rehash it once again.

Unless Dana has a major come to Jesus meeting with Donkey we'll be lucky to make a wild card.
BCEDAg
AG
I was hoping we would add another bat at the deadline and watch this lineup take off offensively. But the front office decided to stand pat knowing Altuve and Alvarez were back and would be a jolt to the lineup. However even with them back, our illustrious manager has totally screwed the potential of a firepower offense by 1.) Not playing Diaz on a regular basis; 2.) batting Alvarez fifth and limiting his opportunities for at bats and RBI's; and 3.) playing automatic out Maldy. I've followed the Colt 45's and Astros since 1962 and never have I witnessed such hare brained managing in my life. 2023 has been the most frustrating season I've seen knowing Dusty is basically gifting the Rangers the division.
maca1028
This might be the maddest I've been after a loss all season. I was pissed when the lineup came out, pissed when JV left the game after pitching about as well as we would hope in his return, and pissed in the 9th when Peña lead off needing a base runner to get Yordan to the plate.
gambochaman
AG
aggie813 said:

Clearly you dont understand why the order of the lineup matters

Dusty is 100% responsible for today and by my count thats 9 games at least he has cost us this year
Chef Elko
AG
Kashchei said:

Aggie8587 said:

There's absolutely no chance anyone in the front office thinks Dusty is doing a good job. Hell, even an average job.

The window to win is still open. Crane cannot **** around and let Dusty be here next year or it's going to get slam shut quickly

I think there's a better than even chance he comes back next year.

That would say a lot about Crane as a man, his arrogance can't be dismissed at this point.
f1ghtintexasaggie
Broken record, but he's still managing as if we have (or ever will have this year) a 5-10 game lead in the division.

Step #1 is removing lineup decisions from Dusty, as was clearly the case yesterday. I think we could all accept losses much more gracefully if we put our best lineup out there and lose. It's baseball. Sometimes that will happen. But it's just insulting and a disservice to the entire fan base, let alone the team itself, not to run the best hitters out there at this point.
Prosperdick
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Broken record, but he's still managing as if we have (or ever will have this year) a 5-10 game lead in the division.

Step #1 is removing lineup decisions from Dusty, as was clearly the case yesterday. I think we could all accept losses much more gracefully if we put our best lineup out there and lose. It's baseball. Sometimes that will happen. But it's just insulting and a disservice to the entire fan base, let alone the team itself, not to run the best hitters out there at this point.
What pisses me of the most are his ridiculous justifications..."Kessinger plays better defense at 1st" (when it's JV on the bump, not Framber) or "Diaz doesn't hit lefties well" but waits until the 8th to pinch hit him when he could have used him much earlier since Cortes only pitched 4 innings.

I also LOVE that Dusty know Diaz doesn't hit lefties well but somehow doesn't realize both Tucker and Yordan do hit them REALLY well but splits them up anyway like the Donkey he is.

It's obvious he plays his favorites and comes up with ridiculous justifications like "Maldy and Diaz hit about the same."
AggiEE
Do the rangers mess with their lineup like we do?
First Page Last Page
Page 1523 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.