***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,526,073 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jet Black said:

This current pitching staff isn't winning anything.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

MaxPower
Mistake or not, he isn't getting 8+ years here. What is interesting is all these key guys have contracts up over the next two years. If you aren't going long-term then where are you paying? Gonna have a $74M payroll in 2026?
Farmer1906
AG
Padres get a few more on the board. They're up 3-1 in the 4th.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bonnettecj1
Just brainstorming here, so bare with me. I think we can all agree that a starter is what's most needed at the deadline, most want JV (myself included).

If the Mets want MLB ready players for 2024+, would they say no to a McCullers/Leon/Julks or Meyers trade?
CoachAg19
AG
Jet Black said:

This current pitching staff isn't winning anything.

Starting pitching has to be a priority between now and Tuesday. A playoff rotation of Framber, Javier, France (big fan of him), Brown, and Urquidy isn't good enough. Go get a SP. Slide Urquidy to the bullpen for the postseason as a long reliever. Brown has to be more consistent as well. He's either really good, or he's getting roughed up for 3-4 runs.
Class of 2010
wangus12
AG
tjack16 said:

If gravamen is our one move, we are conceding the division.

That might be an overreaction but the Rangers just made two big moves and we made one solid move.

The basis of thought is an overreaction, but we're conceding the division by playing stupid lineups in important moments and refusing to allow the best players to play.

And the fact that injuries have wrecked us all year and our staff has fallen over trying to carry the load
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Honestly bell I get off the mkt is huge, one of the issues with this team (besides health) is we have been a lot crappier defensively.

Abreau especially
CoachAg19
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

Just brainstorming here, so bare with me. I think we can all agree that a starter is what's most needed at the deadline, most want JV (myself included).

If the Mets want MLB ready players for 2024+, would they say no to a McCullers/Leon/Julks or Meyers trade?

I'd imagine they might reject that considering that the "star" of that trade (McCullers) is as injury prone as any pitcher in the league plus he's owed $50M+ over the next few years.
Class of 2010
Farmer1906
AG
Bonnettecj1 said:

Yes.

Why would they want to invest long term
In McCullers?

Leon, Julks, & Meyers make sense but they aren't all that valuable. I think selling high on France might be valuable.
PhatMack19
AG
Big Al 1992
AG
I'm hoping Ranger aggressiveness forces Astros/Dana/Crane hand. Still need JV/Cease as a SP
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I'm hoping Ranger aggressiveness forces Astros/Dana/Crane hand. Still need JV/Cease as a SP

Cease is not happening for anybody
R-Dog
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Hey numb nuts...Maldonado has problems with lefties AND righties
Farmer1906
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

You ready to give up 2 of Diaz, Brown, and Chas plus prospects?
Ag4life80
AG
The defense has not been good this year. Part of it is that we are getting fewer strikeouts than years past and the other part is we have possibly the worst fielding !B in the league. Abreu is a DH attempting to play in the field.
tjack16
AG
Our backup catcher is the 2nd best in baseball
mwm
Chandler Rome

@Chandler_Rome
Asked if the Astros have considered going back to carrying three catchers to give him some flexibility to play Yainer Diaz and Martn Maldonado together, Dusty Baker said "Yainer has trouble with lefties. Everybody trying to help me manage, I don't really need it, thank you."

I'm reading between the lines, but it sounds to me that Dusty is taking some heat and is feeling the pressure.

I would think the players want to win and know they are not being given the chance to do so with the best lineups. How about a players-only meeting with the GM & Owner? Ever happen before?
MaxPower
The only pressure Dusty feels is when he forgets his Metamucil in the morning. He's a made man, specifically after last year and gives 0 ****s what anyone thinks.
wangus12
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

It's gonna cost you a ton and you have to hope that the rest of our staff recovers. Framber and CJ are really struggling. Who knows what Urquidy comes back as. And you have 2 rookies that have been pretty good.

I'm not sure sacrificing several pieces for 1 gets the job done this year

Beau Holder
AG
PhatMack19 said:

The fact that he's this much of an unapologetic imbecile on a daily basis with zero repercussions is just staggering.

Literally made up a reason to justify his refusal to play the better player, gets it immediately invalidated, will never answer for it.
linkdude
AG
In Dusty's mind, it doesn't matter if Yainer is "better", it's not a meritocracy and he isn't the starter. Maldy is.

It's never been about playing the better guy.
CoachAg19
AG
wangus12 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

It's gonna cost you a ton and you have to hope that the rest of our staff recovers. Framber and CJ are really struggling. Who knows what Urquidy comes back as. And you have 2 rookies that have been pretty good.

Cease would cost a ton because he's only 27 years old. You can get JV without giving up too much, but it sounds like the Mets are going to want a team to take on the full contract.
Class of 2010
Farmer1906
AG
CoachAg19 said:

wangus12 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Cease would cost a ton because he's only 27 years old. You can get JV without giving up too much, but it sounds like the Mets are going to want a team to take on the full contract.

JV is going to cost more in opportunity cost. We'll lose the ability (realistically speaking) of extending some guys and signing future FA for the next 2 years.
Maroon&Fight
I know this sounds like malpractice, but in hindsight we should've let Dusty go after the WS win. It's clear he's accomplished all he's wanted to, and now this is full "easy like Sunday morning" work he's putting in now. Bring in a young guy who has won nothing and is hungry to put his name in history. Energy night in night out would be so different
maca1028
I don't think it's worth what it would cost to get a big arm. Get another bat, maybe a middle rotation type guy, or another BP arm. I really don't see this team defending the title, Crane effed that up in the offseason. Get to the playoffs and see what happens. When the season is over send Dusty packing and let Dana go to work with a full off-season.
AustinCountyAg
maca1028 said:

I don't think it's worth what it would cost to get a big arm. Get another bat, maybe a middle rotation type guy, or another BP arm. I really don't see this team defending the title, Crane effed that up in the offseason. Get to the playoffs and see what happens. When the season is over send Dusty packing and let Dana go to work with a full off-season.
dusty has never won **** before last year and the reason why is he's a ****ing idiot. It took him a stacked team, and a hundred years of managing to win the World Series. Hate to say it but I have zero faith in him ever winning another one no matter who is on the roster.

It's beyond obvious Maldy is nothing more than a backup catcher to EVERYONE except the man with the sharpie.
Bad Poster
maca1028 said:

Im convinced only way dusty is gone is if we dont make playoffs this year.
Mr.Bond
AG
Bad Poster said:

maca1028 said:

Hes 74. Go spend time with your family man. Please for the love of God
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Boiling Denim
Maroon&Fight said:

I know this sounds like malpractice, but in hindsight we should've let Dusty go after the WS win. It's clear he's accomplished all he's wanted to, and now this is full "easy like Sunday morning" work he's putting in now. Bring in a young guy who has won nothing and is hungry to put his name in history. Energy night in night out would be so different

Dusty has been "easy like Sunday morning" his entire career with predictable results. Like Wade Phillips his initial presence is like a relief valve that gets the bad juju out of the locker room and has immediate results in the first couple years. This eventually starts degrading into underperforming results with lack of focus on daily minutiae. This is usually rectified by replacing Dusty that has shown immediate results right after his departure
maca1028
Bad Poster said:

maca1028 said:

I think he's gone regardless.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
CoachAg19
AG
Bad Poster said:

maca1028 said:

The truth of the matter is that the further we go in the playoffs, the likelier it is that Dusty comes back. That's literally what happened last year. If we had come up short, we'd be looking at someone else in the dugout right now.
This team right now, especially the pitching rotation, would take dang near a miracle to repeat as WS champs. The lineup would have to get extremely hot. And they have the ability to do that, but that's asking a lot.

Play out this season. Hopefully Dusty comes to his senses with Maldy, starts using the bullpen better to save those arms, hope we get a SP at the deadline, and see what happens from there.
Class of 2010
Mr.Bond
AG
Big insurance run by SD bottom 8

MAGA

BadAggie
AG
maca1028 said:

Bad Poster said:

maca1028 said:

I think he's gone regardless.

He's been given the chance to defend the title is how it looked.

Need someone new regardless next season

First Page Last Page
Page 1357 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.