***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,536,512 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CSWendt said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

tjack16 said:

I wouldn't be shocked if JV ends up in Arlington. Selfishly I'd like him to go somewhere in the NL though

Surely the morality of the Rangers org wouldn't want a filthy "cheating" Astro though right? At least that's what they claim
Any morality they had went out the window when they traded for a known domestic abuser in Chapman.

Didn't we do the same thing years back when we traded for Osuna?
It was a lose/lose for both teams. The Astros needed to get rid of the headcase that was Giles, and the Blue Jays needed to get rid of the headcase Osuna.
Mathguy64
AG
BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

Snell and Hader would be big adds. Frankly that's what Arlington should do. It solves both of their problems.

Both FA rentals so the price shouldn't be insane. Both having good years for a team that is way underperforming.

Hey, uh, maybe Astros should
Oh I completely agree. The JV talk is the splash feel good story. The trade to improve your team and make it a favorite is a Snell/Hader package. If I'm Dana that's what I'm aiming for.
HarryRocket
This year is too much of a sellers market.

This year is about us being healthy and getting back to form. If that doesn't happen it doesn't happen.

Ride with what we have, let the others overpay.

If we can get verlander for a discount from his contract, great. If not, oh well.
Wabs
AG
Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

Snell and Hader would be big adds. Frankly that's what Arlington should do. It solves both of their problems.

Both FA rentals so the price shouldn't be insane. Both having good years for a team that is way underperforming.

Oh I completely agree. The JV talk is the splash feel good story. The trade to improve your team and make it a favorite is a Snell/Hader package. If I'm Dana that's what I'm aiming for.
I agree but the cost would be really high. Gilbert would probably be a part of the package.
Wabs
AG
HarryRocket said:

This year is about us being healthy and getting back to form. If that doesn't happen it doesn't happen.

If we can get verlander for a discount from his contract, great. If not, oh well.
Honestly, this has is the way I've been leaning lately. If Framber and CJ don't get right, then I don't think there is a single SP that we can add that would make our rotation championship caliber. Would it make our team better? Sure. But I think we need to think in terms of championships, not just making a wild card. So, for Dana, I think any "big" trades for a SP comes down to his view on whether Framber and CJ can get right or not. If he does then go ahead and go for it. If not then don't salvage the future.
Mathguy64
AG
I knew SD was in trouble but never realized just how much trouble they were in contract wise.

Baseball reference contract estimates put them at $210MM, $300MM, $315MM and $300MM the next 4 years. They are in payroll hell and way underperforming what is costing.
BCEDAg
AG
Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

I agree but the cost would be really high. Gilbert would probably be a part of the package.
We have traded prospects before that we thought would be future All Stars for players that helped us ultimately win championships. Most of them never panned out for the teams we traded to. Giving up Gilbert would be tough but there's no guarantees that he would be the name of the franchise someday. Injuries and lack of development come into play. If there's a chance of winning another WS this year you go for it!
Teddy Perkins
AG
Wabs said:

HarryRocket said:

Honestly, this has is the way I've been leaning lately. If Framber and CJ don't get right, then I don't think there is a single SP that we can add that would make our rotation championship caliber. Would it make our team better? Sure. But I think we need to think in terms of championships, not just making a wild card. So, for Dana, I think any "big" trades for a SP comes down to his view on whether Framber and CJ can get right or not. If he does then go ahead and go for it. If not then don't salvage the future.
I agree but this is Dana's first trade deadline to show his GM prowess. I hope he doesn't overpay but I bet we do.
BCEDAg
AG
Personally I would love to see Brown swing a deal for Snell and Hader, especially before the Rangers do.
Wabs
AG
BCEDAg said:

Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

We have traded prospects before that we thought would be future All Stars for players that helped us ultimately win championships. Most of them never panned out for the teams we traded to. Giving up Gilbert would be tough but there's no guarantees that he would be the name of the franchise someday. Injuries and lack of development come into play. If there's a chance of winning another WS this year you go for it!
Adding a top line SP will definitely give us a chance for another championship. But I think that is ONLY IF CJ and Framber get back to themselves (especially Framber). Dana has (or should have) a much better feel for whether either of these guys will return to form. His willingness to make a big trade depends on what he thinks here. IMO, we're not winning another WS without at minimum one of them fixing their issues.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
MosesHallRAB04
AG
BCEDAg said:

Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

We've also had prospects that were untouchable turn out to suck something awful. It's a gamble either way. Seems like there are some young OF who could lessen the blow if Gilbert was traded. Or they get someone with team control
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I knew SD was in trouble but never realized just how much trouble they were in contract wise.

Baseball reference contract estimates put them at $210MM, $300MM, $315MM and $300MM the next 4 years. They are in payroll hell and way underperforming what is costing.

Yeah they went ALL IN for the short term, and now they're kind of screwed with big contracts
McInnis
AG
BCEDAg said:

Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

I agree. If Gilbert is the only valuable trade offering the Astros have then that doesn't say much about their future viability as contenders. But the chance to win two consecutive WS and the third in seven years puts the Astros in the category of the Big Red machine of the 70s. We could all savor that for a long time.
BadAggie
AG
McInnis said:

BCEDAg said:

Wabs said:

Mathguy64 said:

BadAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

I agree. If Gilbert is the only valuable trade offering the Astros have then that doesn't say much about their future viability as contenders. But the chance to win two consecutive WS and the third in seven years puts the Astros in the category of the Big Red machine of the 70s. We could all savor that for a long time.

Agree. The time is now
tjack16
AG
If their evaluation of Gilbert is all star level player, then I'd want to keep him as Tucker's replacement

Korey Lee is one that I think would be a good trade piece to get rid of since we have Diaz
The Porkchop Express
AG
Next time you're feelin glum during a tough loss, I invite you to turn back the clock to July 27, 1985, the day the Astros gave up SIXTEEN UNEARNED runs to the Mets in 16-4 loss at the Dome.

That's right, 5 errors paved the way to 16 New York runs, 6 apiece in back-to-back innings. Incredibly, the game was tied 4-4 headed to the seventh inning.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The clown is going home
HarryRocket
The more smoke I see regarding verlander coming back the more terrified I am. Would have to be on a massive discount and that doesn't seem likely as much interest as there is.

Some desperate fool is going to let the Mets off the hook.

Don't be us. Don't be us. Don't be us
txags11
AG
If the rangers end up with both JV and Hicks I'll be pretty pissed, but at least they won't get Snell/Hader
AustinCountyAg
I'm half and half in the deal. I don't want to overpay for JV but at the same time our starters are struggling big time right now and we desperately need a front end #1 because right now we don't have one.
AustinCountyAg
Rangers are going all in this year and I don't blame them. They are damn good. If we are gunna wanna to make a push Dana is gunna have to do something big.
Wabs
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Rangers are going all in this year and I don't blame them. They are damn good. If we are gunna wanna to make a push Dana is gunna have to do something big.
I feel the Rangers will go all in as well. They have lost their last 2 series to an injury-riddled Astros team. The pressure is there to do something to push them to a division title.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Dodgers are chasing Atlanta. I don't think this puts them in the same ballpark.
Bulldog73
AG
Maybe it'll reset the market down a bit is all I can hope from that. And the whiny Joe gets shelled every two Jr he touches the mound.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Yankees activate Judge for tonight
tjack16
AG
With the AL being more wide open I dont see why Rangers, Astros, orioles and Rays all wouldn't go all in.

It'll be one of those four teams vs the Braves in the WS
Ag_07
AG
Glad the Dodgers took Lynn so we couldn't.

Did not want
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Gonna be one of those weekends
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The clown is going home

Harry Dunne

The sound off the bat!!!
First Page Last Page
Page 1305 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.