***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,537,131 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Korey Lee/Jake Meyers for Tanner Scott? Not enough?
bearkatag15
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Seriously, it would need to include Yuli in some way

He's been pretty decent in part time work
R-Dog
AG
88Warrior said:

R-Dog said:

The Porkchop Express said:

R-Dog said:

That was a little before my time.

Back in the day, we'd leave our house in Bellaire and drive down South Braeswood to the Dome, took about 15 minutes.

Pavilion tickets were $4 for adults and $1 for kids. Parking was also $1. We could leave for a 7:30 p.m. game at 6:45 and be a family of four in our seats at first pitch for $11.

I remember those days. Lived near the corner of Bellaire Blvd and Stella Link. Our ritual was the Gabby's BBQ on South Main right by the Dome. Had mini-season Loge Level tickets from '80 to '87.

If you lived at Bellaire and Stella Link you had to have picked up your Southwest Championship Wrestling tickets at I.W. Marks Jewelry!?!

I lived about 150 yards from IW Marks. Right across the street from Pershing Middle School. Blast from the past!
BadAggie
AG
While we're talking about the return of former Astros could you imagine the absolute lift if George ****ing Springer returned?
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

That should be enough if both Lee and Meyers are included
bearkatag15
AG

Wouldn't think Tanner Scott would be available if they are going after other relievers
agdaddy04
AG
MLB article just posted saying Verlander may be on the block but Rangers would be favorite, followed by Houston. Hmmm… I don't see him going to Arlington.
bearkatag15
AG

HE DID IT AGAIN!!! GIVE THIS MAN ANOTHER CHANCE!!!
agdaddy04
AG
You think it will actually translate this time? I sure hope so, and it'd be an amazing story. But he was always a solid MiLB player.
bearkatag15
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Wouldn't think Tanner Scott would be available if they are going after other relievers

Number 18 and 21 ranked prospects in the Marlins system

Hernandez is a young catching prospect ironically enough. Only 19 and in rookie ball still
bearkatag15
AG
agdaddy04 said:

You think it will actually translate this time? I sure hope so, and it'd be an amazing story. But he was always a solid MiLB player.
What could it hurt? dropping Madris from the 40 man? I'll take that chance
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Seriously, it would need to include Yuli in some way

He's been pretty decent in part time work

No, it would not.
Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Probably not, but who the hell knows. Maybe they feel comfortable selling know since they had 1 more and just really want a potential catching upgrade or someone cheap for the next 6+ years.

They are currently getting .554 OPS from the catching postion. Dead last in baseball.
bearkatag15
AG

Very interesting
linkdude
AG
If we go 2-1 against them in September we would only need to be a game better than them over the other 56 remaining games. That's eminently doable.

1-2 would still get the tie breaker but require picking up extra slack.
Farmer1906
AG
For those who didn't click.

Quote:

The frontrunner for Verlander, according to one source, would likely be the Rangers, who are said to be seeking rotation help and are taking an aggressive approach to the Trade Deadline. It should be noted that Texas pursued Verlander last winter, but the pitcher expressed no interest in joining the Rangers, who were coming off of their sixth consecutive losing season.

Another club said to be interested is the Astros, the team with which Verlander pitched from September 2017 through the end of the 2022 season. One executive pegged a surprise sleeper team in a potential Verlander sweepstakes: the Reds.

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'd love to find out there was a trade with the Rangers and he said no…especially if there was an eventual trade with us he accepted.
JDUB08AG
AG
Would be interesting watching them accept his "Astro stank" on their roster.
agdaddy04
AG
I know I shouldn't be lurking on that other thread, but I just couldn't help myself. This is gold Jerry.

Quote:

What I am really enjoying this morning is that last night seems like the moment that the Rangers finally said to the Astros "Come at me, mf'er.". It's been this golly gee attitude where the mindset is the Astros are what the Rangers want to be. It just feels like today that the Rangers have to decided to screw that and become their own team.

I know that was just one of 162, but there were a whole lot of things going on in that game. The Astros were about to get into first place with the triumphant return of Alvarez and Altuve and instead woke up today two games back. And the Rangers finished that gauntlet of a schedule at 8-4. Feels good.
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'd love to find out there was a trade with the Rangers and he said no…especially if there was an eventual trade with us he accepted.
It would be like Cole Hamels in reverse.
BadAggie
AG
Mets starting to sell.

What would a deal look like for JV?
Farmer1906
AG
Bonds acting like he won the lotto because there are rumors now.

Farmer1906
AG

wangus12
AG
Bring him home. I want him in an Astros cap in the Hall
Faustus
SpaceCityAg05 said:

. . .

The idea of adding Tony Kemp as a left handed PH off the bench is also growing on me as he has been his pesky self since Memorial Day and should cost NOTHING to acquire. . . .

Kemp is hitting .601 OPS and sporting a -1 bWAR this year. Not only should he cost nothing to acquire, but Oakland should pay us cash considerations to take him off their hands in lieu of playing an average replacement player from the minors.

He's a poor man's version of all the worst hitters on our team not named Maldonado, but costs five times as much as most of them (Julks, Meyers, Dubon, Kess, Peña, etc.).

Straw has a .612 OPS and a .8 bWAR, which tells you Kemp's defense is doing him no favors either. Gives nice hugs though.

Edit: If we're looking at 30 game stretches our worst hitters had better examples of those too.

On the bright side he'd just be a rental so he wouldn't be killing us for multiple seasons after.
BadAggie
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Very interesting

Return of Alvarez, Altuve, and Urquidy likely factors.

Other items:
- Result of trade deadline. Reasonable to expect bullpen addition and another bat. We've seen all kinds of rumors and there is always good chance Crane opts to make a big move while the championship window is open. Though also as likely he doesn't. You also have a rookie GM looking to make his mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see them land someone not at all linked to them. Not thinking a Cease pipe dream but more like the Greinke deal that came out of nowhere. Anyways, if you're going to augment the current roster starting pitching is the place to start but the market price just seems high, could easily see them pivot to offensive production from position players and Urquidy's return with one or two bullpen additions.

- Callups. Leon, Dirden should get shots, I guess. Singleton is on a tear, depending on how trade deadline shakes out maybe he gets a shot soon. Generally underwhelmed with the guys who have been between Sugar Land and Houston this season with exception of France.

- Jose Abreu. Looked like he was turning a corner earlier this summer and feels like he's regressing now again. Sure could use reversion to his career mean down the stretch.

- Diaz and Chas getting more starts would also be helpful.

- Last is seemingly low odd stuff like Uncle Mike returning, some of the bullpen arms catching a second wind, Dusty not running pitchers into the ground, etc

Overall, like their chances, we'll see if all of the public chatter Brown is making translates into real results at the deadline.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Edit: return sounds like 2 rookie ball players
Wabs
AG
I'm predicting Snell and Hader to the Rangers.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

I wouldn't mind having Hader here. Time to right a wrong.
Wabs
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

I wouldn't mind have both Hader and Snell here.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

I agree but we probably only have enough capital to go get one of them. Snell can be a little walk happy, so that makes me a bit nervous, but if we could get both I'd be fine with it.
Wabs
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Wabs said:

I agree but we probably only have enough capital to go get one of them. Snell can be a little walk happy, so that makes me a bit nervous, but if we could get both I'd be fine with it.
Why not go large and throw Soto in as well.
Proudag06
AG
Ok, now that Yordon and Altuve back, what is the regular lineup and how often does Yainer start? Can Dusty get him in the lineup half the time? It's malpractice if not.

I expect Yainer to DH when Yordon plays left and still only catch 1 out of 5. I expect Julks to play much less and Meyers and Dubon to find their way in rotationally and Chas to play nearly everyday between Center and LF.

My optimum lineup (which will probably never happen) is the following:
4- Altuve
5- Bregman
DH- Alvarez
9- Tucker
7- McCormick
2- Diaz
3- Abreu
6- Pena
8- Meyers/Dubon

My expected most common lineup:
4- Altuve
6- Pena
DH- Alvarez
5- Bregman
9- Tucker
3- Abreu
7- McCormick
8- Meyers/Dubon (when Dubon plays swap with Pena in lineup)
2- Maldonado

(I'm sure lots of this happened the last couple days but just returned from out of the country and haven't followed the thread)
Ag_07
AG
Proudag06 said:

Ok, now that Yordon and Altuve back, what is the regular lineup

Good one
First Page Last Page
Page 1303 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.