***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,536,663 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Ranger sure are talking a lot for a team that dropped 5 of their last 7 against us.

We need to be focused on the Rays, as our regular season goal is first place in the AL, not just the division.

And we've narrowed the gap to 4.5 games outside of 1st
While you always set your goals high, practically, winning the division is the most important thing as that guarantees a bye this year - AL East and West champs will both get byes.

Some have argued that the 2 seed even has a little built of odd advantage as they can be set up for an easier opponent as the winner of the 3/6 round will usually be a weaker team than the 4/5 round winner.

As a matter of fact, if the season ended today, it would be

Baltimore (bye) vs. Rays/Astros
Rangers (bye) vs. Guardians/Blue Jays

Take the division and we flip spots with the Rangers since we are adjacent in league standings.

Wear out the Rangers and keep the West crown and we have succeeded in the regular season.
mAgnoliAg
AG
New narrative from the rangers fans is no Astros fans were born in Houston and in turn when we go back to the dumpster where we belong in a couple years, we will be back to having zero fans. Where do they come up with this ***** It's rich coming from south Oklahoma and south California. Neighborhoods in Frisco and the colony where we've done work on about 100+ houses, more than 50% of the homeowners are from California.

Blah blah don't look at other team's thread
redline248
AG
While I doubt the intent was to hit Yordan, I could believe the pitcher threw up and in on purpose.
Mr Gigem
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Agree. A batter (Yordan or Lowe) can be pissed if he gets chin music on purpose or not.

Part of me thinks Framber wanted to be out of the game at that point and knew that was going to be his last batter. Maybe he thought I better make it worth it. But again, with his lack of control at that point, whether that pitch was intentional or not is up for debate.
redline248
AG
I guess it's a good thing for ticket sales that the Astros won't be going back to the cellar any time soon
Farmer1906
AG
I agree.

We want to win the division and be the 2 seed even if we lose the potential home field in the CS. Obviously, it is not a bad thing to have the 1 seed either. If we miss out on winning the division then the 6 seed or 3rd WC is where we want to be.
tjack16
AG
Hopefully the Padres keep Hader/Snell at least through the weekend

Need the rangers to go 1-2 against them this weekend
Frok
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

New narrative from the rangers fans is no Astros fans were born in Houston and in turn when we go back to the dumpster where we belong in a couple years, we will be back to having zero fans. Where do they come up with this ***** It's rich coming from south Oklahoma and south California. Neighborhoods in Frisco and the colony where we've done work on about 100+ houses, more than 50% of the homeowners are from California.

I like the comment that people in Houston don't know baseball because the Astros were on CSN for a couple years while they were tanking. That's why we thought they hit Yordan on purpose. If we were seasoned fans like Ranger fans then we would know it wasn't on purpose.

It can't possibly be that both fanbases are extremely bias in favor of their own teams.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I don't think they should sell.

They have some serious ground to make up (need to leap 4 teams and 6.5 games), but is anyone afraid of Cincy, Zona, Miami, and Chicago? Cincy & Miami have negative RDs.

Miami has the 2nd hardest schedule remaining.

SD has 7 games remaining vs Arizona and 3 vs Miami. Play big those series and things get much simpler.

FG still has SD around 27% of making the playoffs. With how well the crowds are coming in and how much money is invested, it'll be a tough pill to swallow if they sell.
Chef Elko
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

It's ok, little bro is just really hyped to be from a generic DFW suburb and talks city smack lol
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I don't think they should sell.

They have some serious ground to make up (need to leap 4 teams and 6.5 games), but is anyone afraid of Cincy, Zona, Miami, and Chicago? Cincy & Miami have negative RDs.

Miami has the 2nd hardest schedule remaining.

SD has 7 games remaining vs Arizona and 3 vs Miami. Play big those series and things get much simpler.

FG still has SD around 27% of making the playoffs. With how well the crowds are coming in and how much money is invested, it'll be a tough pill to swallow if they sell.

I think they should try to re-sign both of them, add another starter in the off-season and try again next year. They still have a good core in-tact
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

redline248 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

McInnis said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Just for reference, Mario Mendoza had a .215 career batting average.
If Joey Gallo can find a landing spot next year, he could set the new low by season's end. He is currently 168 games and 410 at bats shy of their cutoff.
There are other guys who have lower averages over 3,000+ at-bats. The Twitter guy just cherry picked the 1,000 game thing so he could have a point. Mike Zunino, who played pretty recently, has 3,098 plate-appearances for his career and hit .199, Gallo's at .197, and Jeff Mathis, who caught for a bunch of teams between 2005-2021, is at .194 with 948 games and 3,015 PA.
Well, I am glad you are alive.
underrated response. Lots of discussion on where you disappeared to Porkchop
Just going to tell it once - no follow-up questions will be answered and no future updates provided.
Plus, I really don't want to derail the thread or have a bunch of a-holes show up for commentary who aren't Astro fans.

I was contacted by a fantastic Aggie husband-and-wife lawyer duo earlier this year who offered to help me file a civil suit for slander based on the doxing of 2021 and the subsequent efforts of a few people to harass my family and disrupt my business. While the statute of limitations is typically one year, they were convinced a judge would give us an extension based on the people who initiated it being anonymous at the time it was done.

I gave them access to my account and stayed off TexAgs while they turned loose their version of "Rat F8cker" from Succession. Turns out a couple of the potential defendants left some really sticky fingerprints here and in their anonymous emails and phone calls.

Rat F8cker recently wrapped up all their work and I hopped back on yesterday.

I do appreciate the concern, and I've really missed this thread a lot. More than any other on the board. I took my daughter to the Star Wars Night vs. the Nationals in June and yelled "TJack! "every time I saw a guy in ripped jeans, but never found the right guy.

Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the season with everyone, and comparing notes on Immaculate Grid, where 95% of my responses are from before 2000 because I'm old.

Project Gemini
AG
Welcome back
Farmer1906
AG
Just purchased tickets for Astros @ Rangers in Sept. It'll be my first time to MMP-North. Thanks to Mr Gigem for the code he posts every year. I am kind of shocked at how reasonably priced it was.
Mr Gigem
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Just purchased tickets for Astros @ Rangers in Sept. It'll be my first time to MMP-North. Thanks to Mr Gigem for the code he posts every year. I am kind of shocked at how reasonably priced it was.

Can't wait for you to come up here and see just how unlike the two parks
W
AG
the sportsradio guys think Machete ordered the code red on Semien

and Framber didn't really want to do it
tjack16
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Farmer1906 said:

I will say that's one thing I'll disagree with my fellow Astros fans are. I went in 2021 for a series (Astros won 2/3 BTW) but the only thing similar is the roof… nothing else is the same about either parks.
Farmer1906
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Farmer1906 said:

I know one has grass and golden banners. That's a pretty big difference. I'll stop there and save the rest for the trash talking thread.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Farmer1906 said:

I will say that's one thing I'll disagree with my fellow Astros fans are. I went in 2021 for a series (Astros won 2/3 BTW) but the only thing similar is the roof… nothing else is the same about either parks.

But it gets under their skin so we allow it to continue...
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
Last night was Astros game #100 for me! (Add a few I can't remember when I was really young)

59-31 as the home team
6-4 as the road team

The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

Last night was Astros game #100 for me! (Add a few I can't remember when I was really young)

59-31 as the home team
6-4 as the road team

Is that some kind of an app? I don't think I can remember back into the 80s, but I would definitely like to waste time trying.
BadAggie
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Lol. Very few people in north DFW are actually from here.
tjack16
AG

tjack16 said:

59-31 as the home team
6-4 as the road team

Is that some kind of an app? I don't think I can remember back into the 80s, but I would definitely like to waste time trying.

MLB ballpark app. You can retroactively add games you went to. It's a good way to kill an afternoon

My parents didn't really take us to games much when I was younger unless it was like a random "somebody gave us tickets" type of thing. They only cared about football and we didn't have much money… so any games before 2012 are hard to find for me but I was able to add a few of them.
BadAggie
AG
Marvin said:

tjack16 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Farmer1906 said:

But it gets under their skin so we allow it to continue...

It's a new park and finally have a roof but pretty nondescript.
htxag09
AG

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

redline248 said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

McInnis said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Just for reference, Mario Mendoza had a .215 career batting average.
If Joey Gallo can find a landing spot next year, he could set the new low by season's end. He is currently 168 games and 410 at bats shy of their cutoff.
There are other guys who have lower averages over 3,000+ at-bats. The Twitter guy just cherry picked the 1,000 game thing so he could have a point. Mike Zunino, who played pretty recently, has 3,098 plate-appearances for his career and hit .199, Gallo's at .197, and Jeff Mathis, who caught for a bunch of teams between 2005-2021, is at .194 with 948 games and 3,015 PA.
Well, I am glad you are alive.
underrated response. Lots of discussion on where you disappeared to Porkchop
Just going to tell it once - no follow-up questions will be answered and no future updates provided.
Plus, I really don't want to derail the thread or have a bunch of a-holes show up for commentary who aren't Astro fans.

I was contacted by a fantastic Aggie husband-and-wife lawyer duo earlier this year who offered to help me file a civil suit for slander based on the doxing of 2021 and the subsequent efforts of a few people to harass my family and disrupt my business. While the statute of limitations is typically one year, they were convinced a judge would give us an extension based on the people who initiated it being anonymous at the time it was done.

I gave them access to my account and stayed off TexAgs while they turned loose their version of "Rat F8cker" from Succession. Turns out a couple of the potential defendants left some really sticky fingerprints here and in their anonymous emails and phone calls.

Rat F8cker recently wrapped up all their work and I hopped back on yesterday.

I do appreciate the concern, and I've really missed this thread a lot. More than any other on the board. I took my daughter to the Star Wars Night vs. the Nationals in June and yelled "TJack! "every time I saw a guy in ripped jeans, but never found the right guy.

Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the season with everyone, and comparing notes on Immaculate Grid, where 95% of my responses are from before 2000 because I'm old.
Interesting coincidence of timing of a poster deleting his account and all posting history just to create a new one.....
mAgnoliAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Is the code texags23 like other years? I'll buy mine today.
Mr Gigem
AG
How do you get it to show you your overall record?

Edit: nvm figured it out
Farmer1906
AG
The more I think about the Angels the more dumb it feels. Its like a hand of poker. Maybe you have good cards like pockets Aces (Ohtani) but the flops shows 3 diamonds and your opponent likely has a flush. Instead of checking (not trading Ohtani) or folding (trading Ohtani) you bet big (buying at the deadline) hoping to to get aces on the turn and River. (Extremely unlikely just like the Angels to make the playoffs).
Wabs
AG
They'll be insanely dumb not to trade Ohtani and get a HUGE haul for him. Let's say they keep him and somehow (miraculously) make it to the playoffs as a WC. Ok....they don't have the team to win a WS championship or even make the WS. So at the end of the season, Ohtani will walk and they'll be left empty handed.
BadAggie
AG
Astros should trade for Joe Kelly so Dusty can pitch him until his arm falls off
Ag_07
AG
The problem is Moreno doesn't care about winning and/or building for the future.

He cares about money and trading Ohtani would result in him losing a lot of money (tickets, concessions, merch, etc) isn't an option. A boat load of prospects doesn't make as much money as keeping Ohtani for these last couple months. Plus if he is indeed looking to sell why would care about building a competitor for the future.

He's gonna milk Ohtani for the last bit of revenue and attention/spotlight he can.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
It is even worse...it's like doing the same when you already know your opponent has a made hand, cannot be bluffed off of it, and decide to bet big on the possibility of catching runner-runner.
BadAggie
AG
Any callups that might have impact assuming not moved at deadline? Leon, Dirden?
bearkatag15
AG
BadAggie said:

Any callups that might have impact assuming not moved at deadline? Leon, Dirden?

How about a power LH bat that plays first… Singleton is on line 1
bearkatag15
AG

good lord that is ridiculous
First Page Last Page
Page 1298 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.