***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,537,180 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The team as a whole showed a serious lack of mental toughness last night. I'd say they need some group therapy. They need to rediscover that killer instinct
tjack16
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The team as a whole showed a serious lack of mental toughness last night. I'd say they need some group therapy. They need to rediscover that killer instinct

Not to me. Framber and Martinez sucked but other than that nobody did anything out of the ordinary

Can't blame the team for throwing in the towel after going down 13-3

Save energy and beat Tampa was the mentality after the grand slam
shano0603
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Who knew Parker McCollum was a huge Astro Fan?!

He went to college park hs in the woodlands
3B Paul 97
AG
Guess we know one name to watch for singing the National Anthem in the playoffs for us this year.
bobinator
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Honest question. Why do so many of y'all give a **** about what they're saying over on their thread?
Asked this yesterday and the answer was that this thread of full of worldly posters who check every thread just to be aware of what other fan bases are saying.
Texaggie7nine
shano0603 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Who?
7nine
texasaggie2015
AG
To each his own I guess. I could honestly care less. I just care about taking care of business and winning baseball games.
n_touch
Big Al 1992 said:

Saw him after the Game 3 vs Yanks. He was pretty vocal about the win
Ciboag96
Framber's breaking ball just wasn't there. Seem to come out of his hand higher than his fast ball. Green light to MLB hitters.
bobinator
AG
preach
tjack16
AG
All we have to do is keep winning series. Go at least 4-2 against Tampa and Cleveland.

If we play .600 ball the rest of the way we will be just fine
Cromagnum
AG
Beat Tampa's ass and make some key trades. Goals for the upcoming few days.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
People visit rival threads/boards for two reasons:

1. schadenfreude
2. To get yourself riled up over what they are saying

information relevant to your team is very rarely found on a rivals board.

All we need to do is get in the playoffs, we don't need to win the division, we will of course win the division but we are going to the ship out of the WC if that's what it takes. This team is a mirror of Dusty, the regular season is the preseason, time to fool around, practice and get ready for the real season which is the playoffs. the great thing about baseball is that the regular season matters very little
Mr.Ackar07
McInnis said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Just for reference, Mario Mendoza had a .215 career batting average.
If Joey Gallo can find a landing spot next year, he could set the new low by season's end. He is currently 168 games and 410 at bats shy of their cutoff.
W
AG
one takeaway from the series...

Jose Abreu is who he is at this point of the season

against the Rangers, he was 2 for 10 at the plate with 3 walks. Both hits were singles. Had 1 GiDP. Played shaky defense.

in general...some good, some bad, nothing particularly outstanding and so forth
Cynic
tjack16 said:

All we have to do is keep winning series. Go at least 4-2 against Tampa and Cleveland.

If we play .600 ball the rest of the way we will be just fine

Well duh
R-Dog
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

People visit rival threads/boards for two reasons:

1. schadenfreude
2. To get yourself riled up over what they are saying

information relevant to your team is very rarely found on a rivals board.

All we need to do is get in the playoffs, we don't need to win the division, we will of course win the division but we are going to the ship out of the WC if that's what it takes. This team is a mirror of Dusty, the regular season is the preseason, time to fool around, practice and get ready for the real season which is the playoffs. the great thing about baseball is that the regular season matters very little

Up until playoff expansion, I would agree with you 100%. But with the creation of byes, I think it is as important to us to get a bye as anyone if not more so because of our bullpen situation. Here we are at the end of July and our bullpen is already gassed. I know we expect to acquire a starting arm and a bullpen arm but you can't roll back the odometer on the other guys. Maton's arm looks like it's about to fall off and Neris, Abreu and Pressley are all showing signs of fatigue.

Having to potentially manage another 27 IP in a wild card series on top of the still 60 regular season games to go could kill our chances to go deep. Last year, with how dominant our starters were, probably wouldn't have been as big a deal. But this year, I think it would be a mistake for management to take the position of "just get in and we'll flip the switch". Think getting a bye would be absolutely invaluable IMO.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

McInnis said:

texasaggie2015 said:

If Joey Gallo can find a landing spot next year, he could set the new low by season's end. He is currently 168 games and 410 at bats shy of their cutoff.
There are other guys who have lower averages over 3,000+ at-bats. The Twitter guy just cherry picked the 1,000 game thing so he could have a point. Mike Zunino, who played pretty recently, has 3,098 plate-appearances for his career and hit .199, Gallo's at .197, and Jeff Mathis, who caught for a bunch of teams between 2005-2021, is at .194 with 948 games and 3,015 PA.
GhostWipe15
AG
Maybe this was talked about, and I missed it, but Framber has made 4 starts since his cramping injury. 1 before the break tat was solid, but not great and three that have been pretty disappointing

Does anyone think he is possibly pitching hurt right now? Or are we thinking he is just a bit of a head case as the moment. Even before last nights implosion, he didnt look like he had his best stuff.
bearkatag15
AG
W said:

one takeaway from the series...

Jose Abreu is who he is at this point of the season

against the Rangers, he was 2 for 10 at the plate with 3 walks. Both hits were singles. Had 1 GiDP. Played shaky defense.

in general...some good, some bad, nothing particularly outstanding and so forth
I don't mind him having a .500 OBP however I do mind him hitting 4th, 5th or 6th in the lineup at this point. He should be slotted right before Maldy every day
tjack16
AG
I'm expecting 7-6 over our next 13 games. 8-5 would be great

2-1 vs Tampa
2-1 vs Cleveland
2-2 at New York
1-2 at Baltimore
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

McInnis said:

texasaggie2015 said:

There are other guys who have lower averages over 3,000+ at-bats. The Twitter guy just cherry picked the 1,000 game thing so he could have a point. Mike Zunino, who played pretty recently, has 3,098 plate-appearances for his career and hit .199, Gallo's at .197, and Jeff Mathis, who caught for a bunch of teams between 2005-2021, is at .194 with 948 games and 3,015 PA.
Well, I am glad you are alive.
Boiling Denim
A lot of quality pitchers have been faltering in their recent starts. I wonder if pitch clock fatigue is hitting hard

6 man rotation may be needed once Urquidy is back
Farmer1906
AG
Boiling Denim said:

A lot of quality pitchers have been faltering in their recent starts. I wonder if pitch clock fatigue is hitting hard

6 man rotation may be needed once Urquidy is back
But that stresses the bullpenno easy answer. However, I would implement a kind of piggyback start.

Framber
Javier
Brown
France
Urquidy / Blanco

Send Bielak away at the deadline.
BeaumontAg05
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

shano0603 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Who?

Bro-country style singer.
Also big Aggie fan as his cousin was a lineman here (Ryan Mccollum)
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
AgLA06
AG
BeaumontAg05 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

shano0603 said:

Big Al 1992 said:

Who?

Bro-country style singer.
Also big Aggie fan as his cousin was a lineman here (Ryan Mccollum)
Don't feed the troll. He has to prove his country music purity.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
redline248 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

McInnis said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Well, I am glad you are alive.
underrated response. Lots of discussion on where you disappeared to Porkchop
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I agree that short term tandem pitching makes more sense right now than a six-man rotation.

The thing is, Urquidy is (1) fresher since he hasn't thrown many innings, (2) a veteran who is fairly efficient as a pitcher and strike-thrower, and (3) not necessarily a leverage October arm.

I have been thinking that Javier and Brown might be the two who would benefit from tandem starting for 4-6 weeks. It would manage innings load for both, keep them on an every 5 schedule, and actually preserve bullpen on that day as you can easily set them up to combine for 7 IP every combined start. By mid-September you could ramp them back up on pitch count to have them stretched out for the postseason. And both guys have recent experience tandem starting in our minor league system, so I don't think it would mess them up.

Framber
Javier/Brown
(Trade Acquisition)
Urquidy
France

If none of them are traded, keep Blanco stretched out at AAA and put Bielak or Dubin in the pen as a long reliever.
Noble07
AG
I was watching on and off. Any idea why they would throw at Yordan? I figured it might've been something to do with Bregman's mild bat flip on the HR?

Seems strange to throw at someone that is just coming off the IL and had nothing to do with anything that went on in the first two games.
FrioAg 00
AG
Ranger sure are talking a lot for a team that dropped 5 of their last 7 against us.

We need to be focused on the Rays, as our regular season goal is first place in the AL, not just the division.

And we've narrowed the gap to 4.5 games outside of 1st
Farmer1906
AG
Noble07 said:

I was watching on and off. Any idea why they would throw at Yordan? I figured it might've been something to do with Bregman's mild bat flip on the HR?

Seems strange to throw at someone that is just coming off the IL and had nothing to do with anything that went on in the first two games.
I don't think they were. 0-2 count and already trailing. They wanted out of the inning.

Maybe Framber threw at Semien. Maybe he didn't. I don't know. Ended up being a terrible decision if he did it on purpose.

Anything that thinks Framber threw at Lowe is kidding themselves. He was unable to locate anything at that point.
Mr Gigem
AG
Noble07 said:

Just my opinion, but I Highly doubt a pitcher would intentionally throw at a batter in a 0-2 count
Mr Gigem
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Noble07 said:

I don't think they were. 0-2 count and already trailing. They wanted out of the inning.

Maybe Framber threw at Semien. Maybe he didn't. I don't know. Ended up being a terrible decision if he did it on purpose.

Anything that thinks Framber threw at Lowe is kidding themselves. He was unable to locate anything at that point.

I agree with this in part. Framber was clearly frustrated, but he had lost all control at that point. He had no clue where any of his pitches were going. I think he's lucky he didn't get ejected because warnings were already issued.

I'd be upset too if I pitch came at my head. Sometimes it hard to think logically when emotions are high. Lowe was visibly upset, but maybe it was a bit of gamesmanship? Who knows
Farmer1906
AG
Agree. A batter (Yordan or Lowe) can be pissed if he gets chin music on purpose or not.
First Page Last Page
Page 1297 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.