***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,552,902 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mr President Elect
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Mr President Elect said:

BadAggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

Anyone questioning the call at the plate.

Lol Arlington must be viewing that play at the plate from the grassy knoll.

I re-watched the play on the Rangers broadcast and they showed a lot more angles. His entire foot was clearly above (as in, not touching) the plate in that pic (from another angle). Honestly, I think it was not being able to see clearly where his heel landed at the end that saved him, and maybe NY not wanting to overturn that kind of play.
i saw the views. the reason they did not overturn the call on the field is there is no conclusive evidence. his foot pops up after what looks like he caught the edge of the plate. but, the video can't see it. so, if they had said he was out, then that call would have stood.

its hard to take the fandom out of it. but, in my eyes, he caught the edge of the plate. but, he very well could have missed the edge by a millimeter and his spike dug the dirt and not the plate. no one will ever know.
I'm pretty much with you. I thought where his foot came up and came back down were both inconclusive. To me, neither looked like they touched, but neither showed that he clearly didn't touch. Not trying to argue for him to be out here, btw.

Edit: The view at the 38 second mark is the best view imo, but I still think inconclusive:

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38065640
Wabs
AG
Saw a report somewhere that the Mariners may have interest in Bellinger. That's assuming they will be buyers I guess.

On another note, the Angels would be extremely dumb not to trade Ohtani and get a haul for him. I hope they continue to be dumb.
Beau Holder
AG
Please let today be Free Yordan Day
halfastros81
AG
Strike 2 call on Abreu in the 9th was off the charts bad. 3 inches under the bottom of the zone.
Beerosch
AG
Beau Holder said:

I'm hoping so. I have diamond club seats tonight. Astros fan my whole life and this is the first time I've ever had seats like this. I'm pretty stoked
tjack16
AG
So lesson learned: don't order things from the team store to ship. Just go in person

2 weeks after ordering gold jersey and I've still not heard anything about when/if it will arrive
Marvin
AG
halfastros81 said:

Strike 2 call on Abreu in the 9th was off the charts bad. 3 inches under the bottom of the zone.

Based on the Rangerettes thread, it was the same as all the borderline calls.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
n_touch
tjack16 said:

So lesson learned: don't order things from the team store to ship. Just go in person

2 weeks after ordering gold jersey and I've still not heard anything about when/if it will arrive
My wife's jersey was just delivered by FedEx and we ordered the same day you posted that you bought yours.
Mr.Ackar07
Beerosch said:

Beau Holder said:

I'm hoping so. I have diamond club seats tonight. Astros fan my whole life and this is the first time I've ever had seats like this. I'm pretty stoked
Make sure you don't eat all day until you go. In addition to "free" ballpark style food, they have "free" gourmet food as well that is pretty tasty.
Beau Holder
AG
tjack16 said:

Is there a way you can cancel for a refund? I live so close to the park and pass it every day on the way to/from the gym that I could just grab it for you.
jah003
S
Beau Holder said:

Hoping for free Yordan and Altuve. Also signing JV. Think we go 1/3. 2/3 would be amazing. 3/3 and my pants are off.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I hope you didn't use " https://www.astrosgearteamstore.com/ "
Beau Holder
AG
Beerosch said:

Beau Holder said:

That's awesome, hope you're in for a treat. My buddy and I sure got our money's worth last night with or without Yordan.
mwm
Insert the gif of the ranger player grabbing another player by the junk.
MaxPower
Where's that new JV classic that's supposed to be rolling into my garage?
bearkatag15
AG

Good little segment on the team from this morning
Ag_07
AG
Beerosch said:

Beau Holder said:

Got your #TOFA sign ready to go?
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

I hope you didn't use " https://www.astrosgearteamstore.com/ "

Nah I just called the team store at Minute Maid
tjack16
AG
Beau Holder said:

tjack16 said:

Is there a way you can cancel for a refund? I live so close to the park and pass it every day on the way to/from the gym that I could just grab it for you.

I called and they said I cant cancel, they just gave me an email address to send an inquiry to. Oh well… I'm sure it'll come in soon, but just frustrating it's taken so long.

I could have just gone in person a few days later but I didnt know how long the 50% off would last and I was out of town.
chico
AG
Farmer1906
AG
If you look closely enough with a microscope you can clearly see then is a nanometer between his shoe and the plate. We got screwed! /Arlingtonfans
W
AG
put it on the board
Beau Holder
AG
If we want to be technical enough, at the microscopic level isn't everything just atoms in clouds of various densities near each other? Does anything ever actually touch anything?
Chrundle the Great
AG
Mr President Elect said:

Furlock Bones said:

Mr President Elect said:

BadAggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

I re-watched the play on the Rangers broadcast and they showed a lot more angles. His entire foot was clearly above (as in, not touching) the plate in that pic (from another angle). Honestly, I think it was not being able to see clearly where his heel landed at the end that saved him, and maybe NY not wanting to overturn that kind of play.
i saw the views. the reason they did not overturn the call on the field is there is no conclusive evidence. his foot pops up after what looks like he caught the edge of the plate. but, the video can't see it. so, if they had said he was out, then that call would have stood.

its hard to take the fandom out of it. but, in my eyes, he caught the edge of the plate. but, he very well could have missed the edge by a millimeter and his spike dug the dirt and not the plate. no one will ever know.
I'm pretty much with you. I thought where his foot came up and came back down were both inconclusive. To me, neither looked like they touched, but neither showed that he clearly didn't touch. Not trying to argue for him to be out here, btw.

Edit: The view at the 38 second mark is the best view imo, but I still think inconclusive:

My thing is:

This level of minutia is not what replay is supposed to be about. Kyle clearly beat the throw home and slid straight through the plate. Standing above the plate all you can see is did he cross it and did he slide with his foot down and that's all that should matter. Not did he slide in such a way his cleat was technically 3mm above the plate, that's not baseball.
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

Beau Holder said:

tjack16 said:

I called and they said I cant cancel, they just gave me an email address to send an inquiry to. Oh well… I'm sure it'll come in soon, but just frustrating it's taken so long.

I could have just gone in person a few days later but I didnt know how long the 50% off would last and I was out of town.
I got a notification from FedEx mine is being delivered tomorrow. I wasn't in a rush to get it but was starting to get a little worried. The label was created last Friday (the 21st) and did not reach a fedex facility until the 25th. I placed the order on the 15th.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

If we want to be technical enough, at the microscopic level isn't everything just atoms in clouds of various densities near each other? Does anything ever actually touch anything?
Nerd
tjack16
AG
That's good. I'm guessing mine will be here tomorrow

And same… no hurry but at a point it was like how and why is this taking so long. I assumed it would be sent the next business day or something
Phrasing
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Mr President Elect said:

Furlock Bones said:

Mr President Elect said:

BadAggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

My thing is:

This level of minutia is not what replay is supposed to be about. Kyle clearly beat the throw home and slid straight through the plate. Standing above the plate all you can see is did he cross it and did he slide with his foot down and that's all that should matter. Not did he slide in such a way his cleat was technically 3mm above the plate, that's not baseball.

This 100%. I'm glad we have replay in all sports. But at some point common sense has to prevail. Tuck beat the throw and had a legal, safe slide. He's safe. Game over.

If he slid with his leg up or something obvious, then sure, over turn it.

Also, he beat the throw by so much I'm not positive his knee/tucked leg didn't beat the tag as well. Looked like that leg was sitting on the plate when tagged. But again, it doesn't matter. His foot beat the throw by a mile.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Beau Holder said:

Nerd

Isn't that a given on a thread where we all spend days debating at the margins on things like xFIP and SIERA?
Beat40
Chrundle the Great said:

Mr President Elect said:

Furlock Bones said:

Mr President Elect said:

BadAggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

My thing is:

Unfortunately, it is how baseball interprets it. If a guy slides with his hand on 2nd, is tagged, and there is a 0.5 second gap between his hand and knee not being on the bag at the same time while the tag is still applied, baseball will call it out.

I think it's stupid, but they've been doing it for years.
czechy91
AG
Hope you didn't pay full price. They have them in stock at the store for >50% off.
MAROON
AG
Beerosch said:

Beau Holder said:

Get there early to eat and enjoy the club. Get the fried chicken. Also don't forget later it the game to go back into the club and hit up the ice cream sundaes and the great candy table.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is Pressly World Series replica ring night - everyone in the Diamond Club gets the give aways. Tonight you get Hello kitty.

Prosperdick
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Mr President Elect said:

Furlock Bones said:

Mr President Elect said:

BadAggie said:

Farmer1906 said:

My thing is:

3 mm above the plate? You mean the pitch location blue called a strike on Abreu that would have rendered this entire replay discussion moot?

Along with the b*tching and moaning the rangerettes are doing about that call I bet they're also crying about not having Seager and Adolis while simultaneously completely ignoring us not having Yordan or Altuve.
linkdude
AG
Big bonus for an undrafted FA. Dana must have his eye on him.
Prosperdick
AG
MAROON said:

Beerosch said:

Beau Holder said:

Get there early to eat and enjoy the club. Get the fried chicken. Also don't forget later it the game to go back into the club and hit up the ice cream sundaes and the great candy table.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is Pressly World Series replica ring night - everyone in the Diamond Club gets the give aways. Tonight you get Hello kitty.

First Page Last Page
Page 1246 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.