***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,554,132 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3 years ago today it was opening day of the 2020 season. Still crazy to think about that season
Johnsy3
AG
Beat40 said:

Johnsy3 said:

That one at-bat by Tucker is gonna stick in Dusty's mind more than the 2 HRs against the As lefty starter on Friday

What? You think Dusty is going to bench one of his best hitters for that AB?

I meant that Dusty will use that at-bat as evidence that Tucker needs to be separated from Yordan by a righty
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm hearing completely different and I'm confident I have better sources than the 790 guys. Things can change and I'm not guaranteeing anything but take whatever they're saying with a grain of salt.

Then it presumably would involve trading a rotational player, taking back bad contract, and/or cash.
W
AG
tjack16 said:

3 years ago today it was opening day of the 2020 season. Still crazy to think about that season
and Jose Abreu was the AL MVP

what happened to that guy?
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm expecting a decent shakeup of the big league roster
texasaggie2015
AG
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm hearing completely different and I'm confident I have better sources than the 790 guys. Things can change and I'm not guaranteeing anything but take whatever they're saying with a grain of salt.

Man, I'd love a big trade announcement right before we play the rangerettes to fire up the team and hopefully go on a run.

I know it won't happen but can you imagine the atmosphere in Minute Maid with Yordan (and hopefully Altuve) back along with Cease or someone else joining the team.
stoneca
texasaggie2015 said:

I really hope we can keep him. With our lack of outfield depth and him having a great college career and now excelling in the minors, I think he could be a huge piece in this organization!
BadAggie
AG
So they're dealing Chas.
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

tjack16 said:

and Jose Abreu was the AL MVP

what happened to that guy?

He turned 40
W
AG
Julks has weakened Dana's hand quite a bit

on July 6th his OPS was a very nice .751

but in just 17 days...it's plummeted to .693

has not hit a home run since June 18th

woof -- that really hurts
BadAggie
AG
Julks, Meyers, Madris, Kessinger are on the big league roster so yeah there should be a "shake up" but doesn't mean Luis Robert or Cease is coming.

I could see a Bellinger as that would check various boxes on paper but man that could be disruptive in a bad way.
W
AG
yes, he is the trade piece to the Cubs or White Sox

for a starting pitcher or outfielder/first baseman (Bellinger)
512Ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The kid looked great Friday night in Corpus. That was my first time visiting Whataburger Field. Really nice place to watch a ballgame.
texasaggie2015
AG
I never said we're getting Cease or Robert.
Ag_07
AG
France, Blanco, Diaz

All guys that hold some value

And no we've gone over this countless times. Bellinger would not be a distraction in a bad way.
Farmer1906
AG
We'd be dumb to trade Diaz. He's probably going to have a top 5-10 season in Astros history for a catcher.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

We'd be dumb to trade Diaz. He's probably going to have a top 5-10 season in Astros history for a catcher.

Without playing catcher!
Farmer1906
AG
22 starts and 31 games back there.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

22 starts and 31 games back there.

I know. Was more of a dig at him not playing enough catcher. 22 starts out of 100 games. 1 in very 5 starts.
Ag_07
AG

redline248
AG
Nice
Mathguy64
AG
Mets lost again. 7 under .500, 7.5 games back of the last WC spot and buried 5 teams back of the last spot.

Surely they will sell/rent someone.
ClickClack
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Mets lost again. 7 under .500, 7.5 games back of the last WC spot and buried 5 teams back of the last spot.

I know it won't happen but would be funny to get Verlander back
aftershock
512Ag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Th kid looked great Friday night in Corpus. That was my first time visiting Whataburger Field. Really nice place to watch a ballgame.

Totally agree, I was there Friday as well! Gilbert looks to be the real deal, hopefully we can keep him in the organization.

We drove in today from Corpus area and made it back in time to swing out to Sugar Land for the Space Cowboys game. I like Constellation Field just fine, and it certainly has a better area around the stadium, but I gotta give the nod to Whataburger Field. It was a really nice place to catch a game. My schedule kind of accidentally aligned perfectly for me to to see the Hooks on Friday, the Space Cowboys tonight and the Astros tomorrow. It's been a fun couple of days
agdaddy04
AG
I'm feeling oddly confident with Bielak, France, and Framber going in this series. To get some news that Jose, Alvarez, or both are back would be even better.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I'm with you on France and framber. Every time Bielak steps out there I just hold my breath
Prosperdick
AG
ClickClack said:

Mathguy64 said:

Forget Verlander, we need rally Kate more than ever right now!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
ClickClack said:

Mathguy64 said:

We got the best out of Verlander, I hope they aren't considering bringing him back.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
They are. There's been a couple conversations with the Mets about what it would take to bring in Max or JV. It won't happen without the Mets paying a significant chunk of the contract though.
Farmer1906
AG
It doesn't hurt to talk, but in no world does it make sense to pay more than half of those contracts.
Prosperdick
AG
JV's line for the season ain't too shabby:
  • ERA -3.47
  • K - 70
  • WHIP - 1.16

Of course he's 4-5 but who cares about win/loss record for pitchers...oh wait, Donkey does.
texasaggie2015
AG
Things change and move so quickly this time of year it's hard to give a concrete update. It's a crazy (but fun) time of year.

Here's what I do know: Jim Crane has met with Dana Brown and told him to be aggressive. He didn't say he wants to be aggressive. He told him to be aggressive. Crane wants to win.

I think the next week or so is going to tell us a lot about Dana Brown in comparison to James Click. Click was great at his job but he was a little trigger shy at times. He was hesitant to give up big assets. Brown and Click are very similar in that they're much more aggressive than Click.

Now, what does "aggressive" look like? I guess that depends on the market. The Astros have likely been one of the most active organizations in baseball this year as far as working the phones and checking in on players who may be available. They've inquired on just about everyone.

What positions are they looking for? Well, just about anywhere and everywhere they can possibly upgrade, but I think starting pitching is priority number one. Bullpen help is two and a bat is three.

I've also been told that Jim Crane fully trusts Dana Brown's ability to build a farm system. Brown is known for finding kids who develop and progress quickly through the minors. This would make losing guys like Gilbert much easier to swallow. At this point, I wouldn't consider anyone in the farm system untouchable and I expect the Astros to give up a player or two that will make us all cringe a little bit. That said, I would be pretty surprised to see guys like Gilbert, Melton, Clifford, or Baez moved for a rental.

Don't be surprised to see a bit of a shakeup on the big league roster as well. Small market teams value guys who have team friendly contracts and years of control. Julks, Meyers, France all come to mind. I've also been told not to be shocked to see Chas or Pena dealt. Do I expect those two to be moved? No, because the Astros are asking for a lot for those guys and it would likely be a part of a deal for a star player in return. I'm just telling you guys not to be shocked if it happened.

I don't want to predict anything because it would just be a guess. I can tell you guys for a fact that Houston is being very aggressive but there's so many moving pieces and things out of their control. I'm very confident that moves will be made... and it wouldn't shock me in the least to see a move happen that makes everyone say "whoa, what?!".
McInnis
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They are. There's been a couple conversations with the Mets about what it would take to bring in Max or JV. It won't happen without the Mets paying a significant chunk of the contract though.

The same Max that has flamed out of post-season two years in a row due to arm fatigue? I hope that doesn't happen.
First Page Last Page
Page 1202 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.