***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,558,367 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
R-Dog said:

W said:

Dusty is just awful

gave away another game via a horrendous lineup

That is what frustrates the **** out of me. We are 100 games into the season and still approaching games like it's spring training.

To me we are approaching games as if this is 2017-2022 and we have 10+ game leads in the division.
stoneca
have to win tomorrow. going 5-4 against the angels, rockies, and a's would be a very bad start to the 2nd half. Especially with who we have coming up on the schedule
txags11
AG
I have a dream that on August 2nd, we see this lineup:
Altuve-2B
Bregman-3B
Yordan-DH
Tuck-RF
Robert-Cf
Abreu-1B
Chas-LF
Diaz-C
Peña-SS
W
AG
Aggie8587 said:

Fun fact - coming into tonight, we have 3 of the worst 20 individual OPS figures of all major league qualified hitters:

Abreu - 11th worst @ .647
Peña - 15th worst @ .667
Dubon - 19th worst @ .673

Maldy would be easily the worst in the league at .523
OPS does not lie

a lineup with 5 or 6 sub .700 hitters is going to struggle to score runs
stoneca
Tonight's lineup is literally cause to fire Dusty. How can a manager in a tight division race, think the best thing for the team is to trot that Triple A line up out there. AWFUL
R-Dog
AG
tjack16 said:

R-Dog said:

W said:

Dusty is just awful

That is what frustrates the **** out of me. We are 100 games into the season and still approaching games like it's spring training.

To me we are approaching games as if this is 2017-2022 and we have 10+ game leads in the division.

That is a valid comparison too. Bottom line is no urgency. Assuming we don't flip the proverbial switch, that bye to avoid the wild card series could be hugely advantageous...especially for a taxed bullpen.
W
AG
R-Dog said:

W said:

Dusty is just awful

it's absolutely maddening.

and the first step to fix the problem is DFA'ing Machete

it's got to happen to free up the 9-hole for other hitters
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

txags11 said:

You do realize without him, we're probably lucky to be .500.. he's in a slump..happens..

Without one below average hitter with a 0.9 WAR we're 5-6 losses worse?

Not sure that checks out.

But with a manager who gives a crap we are 5-6 wins better.
Farmer1906
AG
Beau Holder said:

Farmer1906 said:

txags11 said:

You do realize without him, we're probably lucky to be .500.. he's in a slump..happens..

Without one below average hitter with a 0.9 WAR we're 5-6 losses worse?

Not sure that checks out.

But with a manager who gives a crap we are 5-6 wins better.

Generally, I don't believe a managers moves makes a huge difference over 162. Meaning they get more hate and credit than they should. But Dusty is starting to change my mind.
wangus12
AG
Which of y'all brought up yesterday that we were 7-0 or 8-0 this year against the A's. **** whoever that was
W
AG
Burn-It said:

No reason why Yordon isn't in Oakland. Absolutely stupid.
this has to be driving Bagwell crazy

when he and Biggio were clocking in for 160 games per year...you know there were many times...

they were tired or hurt or less than 100% or sick...and they still played
W
AG
and speaking of the manager...

a little mistake in the 1st inning had huge consequences in tonight's game

not sending Kessinger on a full count...led to Pena's GiDP

thus the bases were empty when Tucker doubled on the first pitch

that was a major blunder

(to be fair maybe Kessinger missed the sign)
Big Al 1992
AG
W said:

and speaking of the manager...

a little mistake in the 1st inning had huge consequences in tonight's game

not sending Kessinger on a full count...led to Pena's GiDP

thus the bases were empty when Tucker doubled on the first pitch

that was a major blunder

(to be fair maybe Kessinger missed the sign)

Agreed but the first mistake was having your .122 AAA player lead off to begin with.
Beau Holder
Farmer1906
AG
Kessinger may just be slow. I'm sure the data is limited but savant has him at 25.2 F/S or the bottom 10%.
cc10106
W said:

and Yanier has ridden the pine the last 2 games

I haven't watched a lot this week and just saw he's only been in the lineup 2 of 5 games these last 2 series. What a joke, especially after nearly tieing the game tonight.
Farmer1906
AG
I think for Dana to overcome Dusty he needs to build depth from rentals. Load the bench of with semi capable big leaguers so even when Dusty screws up it's not as bad as it was tonight.
scrimp
AG
I swear you and I made almost the exact same statement about a month ago.....
Farmer1906
AG
Hahah you probably did. I'm just slow to come around.
R-Dog
AG
10 runs scored in the series. 8 via the HR. So against the worst team in the league, we've manufactured 2 runs in 3 games. And 0 the last 18 innings. That's brutal.
AggiEE
R-Dog said:

10 runs scored in the series. 8 via the HR. So against the worst team in the league, we've manufactured 2 runs in 3 games. That's brutal.

Hard to score runs when Dusty puts together garbage lineups

The bane of this entire season
R-Dog
AG
AggiEE said:

R-Dog said:

10 runs scored in the series. 8 via the HR. So against the worst team in the league, we've manufactured 2 runs in 3 games. That's brutal.

Hard to score runs when Dusty puts together garbage lineups

The bane of this entire season

Exactly
Prosperdick
AG
cc10106 said:

W said:

and Yanier has ridden the pine the last 2 games

I haven't watched a lot this week and just saw he's only been in the lineup 2 of 5 games these last 2 series. What a joke, especially after nearly tieing the game tonight.

Donkey gonna donkey.
Ciboag96
linkdude said:

Dubi with a day off -- needed, definitely. Switch McCormick and Kess, though.

This is when the L began
Marvin
AG
SIAP... didn't see it.

And, I know, believe it when we see it, but thought you guys might like an update.

From the HC:
Quote:

Outfielder Michael Brantley hit on the field Saturday for the first time since before the All-Star break in his continued attempt to rejoin the Astros after shoulder surgery. "It went well, obviously another step in the right direction," Brantley said. "I'm doing well. I understand it's a process. As a competitor, you want to get out there as soon as possible, and you have to be smart in the same sense. But all is going well so far."

Brantley, who last played for the Astros last June, has encountered multiple pauses in his rehab process. He started a minor-league rehab assignment in May but was shut down after he had a setback. Brantley resumed on-field batting practice in mid-June, then was shut down from baseball activities again earlier this month. He took part in early hitting Saturday but did not hit during full-team batting practice before the Astros played the A's at the Coliseum.

"We're going to start ramping up here," Brantley said. "It'll be day-to-day. Like I said, we're heading in the right direction. BP today, we assess again tomorrow, hit again tomorrow and we'll go from there."
Next steps for Brantley would likely include full pregame hitting and live batting practice. He has been running and throwing. Brantley was tentatively slated for a live batting practice in early July but didn't progress to that point before being shut down from baseball activities again.

General manager Dana Brown told the Astros' pregame radio show last weekend the team is "hoping that we get him back one way or the other," but did not offer a timeline for a potential return.
"It's just about the process of building up currently," Brantley said. "No one wants a setback, but I did have it and I'm just trying to stay positive and continue to move forward."
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
tjack16
AG
I still believe he's not coming back. 63 games left, and if be does I don't believe he will be the same as he was
JDUB08AG
AG
Getting Altuve and Yordan back will do wonders for this team. Getting Brantley back even for the last month gives us a bat that I trust more than our AAA fillers on our current roster.
Ag_07
AG
Probably already posted by I wasn't keeping up last night

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvByo-CAiwV/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA
astros4545
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Getting Altuve and Yordan back will do wonders for this team. Getting Brantley back even for the last month gives us a bat that I trust more than our AAA fillers on our current roster.

Having Brantley as a pinch hitter in September October would be a very nice piece to have and all I'm asking for at this point
McInnis
AG
astros4545 said:

JDUB08AG said:

Having Brantley as a pinch hitter in September October would be a very nice piece to have and all I'm asking for at this point

And a replacement for Alvarez for the next time he goes on the IL. I mean is there really anyone who doesn't think that will happen?
texasaggie2015
AG
agproducer
AG
What the hell happened last night? I'm out on vacation, drinking and gambling, then I check the score and see we only one run against the ****ty A's?!!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Dusty and maton inheriting runners happened
BCEDAg
AG
Minor league lineup and bases on balls hurt.
BCEDAg
AG
Noticed Chapman hasn't pitched since last Monday for the Strangers. Obviously Bochy saving him for our series.
First Page Last Page
Page 1188 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.