***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,560,507 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
stoneca
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Astros only 5.5 GB back from #1 seed in AL. That's doable when we get Yordan, Tuve, and Urquidy back plus deadline pieces
Farmer1906
AG
I would prefer the 2 seed. You still get the bye and you get the Twins or Guards.
Wabs
AG
Rays tumbling. Lost 12 of 15.
Wabs
AG
So when are the Padres going to start selling? What an incredibly disappointing season.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

So when are the Padres going to start selling? What an incredibly disappointing season.

Snell & Hader should fetch some nice prospects.
FrioAg 00
AG
Top 5 teams in the AL all within 5.5 games

It's anybody's race - Astros just need to get healthy and we may win up the top team in the AL again
Prosperdick
AG
Shaving a half game baby!

Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Wouldn't mind seeing either or both in Houston.
tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Wouldn't mind seeing either or both in Houston.

If only we had a prospect named Hader back in 2015
Mr President Elect
AG
Just saw that we have a pretty tough ~20 game schedule coming up after this series. That seems to be a good thing for this team though.
chlavinka
AG
Yep
bearkatag15
AG
linkdude
AG
Chas is 2/2 off tomorrow's opposing starter with a homer so let's not be too mad if he rides the pine.
redline248
AG
Speaking of Mr. Spice, he's only 2 homers behind Tucker in about 54% of the ABs
linkdude
AG
Cryptic Gattis is cryptic
All I do is Nguyen
linkdude said:

Need texasaggie2015 to weigh in
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
All I do is Nguyen
No matter what!
texasaggie2015
AG
linkdude said:

Haven't heard anything new. Gattis replied to someone saying that's just who he wanted.

Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

linkdude said:

Haven't heard anything new. Gattis replied to someone saying that's just who he wanted.

Gattis:
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
You love to see it
No matter what!
tjack16
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

You love to see it

Imagine how much worse they'd be if Judge had signed with San Fran
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
I've seen some folks say on Astros twitter and also on here that the front office seems to be sitting on their hands when it comes to making moves.

I just want to assure everyone that's not the case at all. Dana Brown has been working tirelessly and there will be moves made. The Astros are probably the most active team out there right now. Crane has told Brown to be aggressive and I 100% believe that's what we're going to see.

The Dylan Cease interest is very real. So is the Luis Robert interest. They won't get both but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us get one of them. I was told there's also been talks involving some guys whose names we haven't even seen discussed in rumors yet. I'll share if I'm ever told who they are... I don't want to speculate but this could give us something to do this morning.

This is going to be a fun deadline and I won't be surprised at all to see a big shakeup of the major league roster. In fact, I'm almost expecting it.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This is going to be a fun deadline and I won't be surprised at all to see a big shakeup of the major league roster. In fact, I'm almost expecting it.
Let's go thru the major league roster.

Untouchable
  • Altuve
  • Alvarez
  • Tucker
  • Bregman
  • Framber
  • Javier
  • Pressly
  • Abreu

Very unlikely
  • Abreu - contract and age
  • Pena - probably should be untouchable
  • Diaz - catcher of the future
  • Stanek, Maton, Neris - no one wants our RP rentals and we need them
  • Brown - similar to Pena way too much value
  • Brantley - no value / injury
  • Maldonado - no value
  • Montero - no value with that contract
  • McCullers - mistake to sell low
  • Garcia - TJ zaps his value

Trade Bait
  • Meyers - 4th/5th OFer for us now.
  • Julks - role should diminish once Yordan is back
  • McCormick - should be made available for Luis Robert. If dealt for someone else, we might end up with egg on our face. Good sell high candidate/
  • Bielak, France, Blanco - The 3 have a 3.46, 3.13, & 4.70 ERA. Good time to sell high. Need to get SP in return.
  • Urquidy - not sure about his value with the injury and less remaining control
  • Dubon - maybe someone sees him as an everyday player.
  • Madris, Kessinger, Hensley - not much value but throw in whoever is needed.
  • Martinez, Kuhnel - not much value but throw in whoever is needed.

Did I miss anyone?
tjack16
AG
With the Altuve updates not being much besides "he's taking grounders on the field for the 3rd week in a row" I'd throw Dubon in the untouchable category
Farmer1906
AG
How much better is Dubon than Kessinger? Is it time to call Leon up? If we're worried about Altuve coming back then we should probably target someone like Torres.
texasaggie2015
AG
I would add a category called "unlikely but wouldn't shock me in the right deal" and throw in Pena and Diaz
tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

How much better is Dubon than Kessinger? Is it time to call Leon up? If we're worried about Altuve coming back then we should probably target someone like Torres.

Not sure who will be better between Dubon and Kessinger but if you had to start only one of them against the Rangers who would it be?
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I would add a category called "unlikely but wouldn't shock me in the right deal" and throw in Pena and Diaz
From my perspective, both would shock me.

Starting with Pena. If you look at our top 30 prospects, you have to go all the way down to 17-year-old Camilo Diaz before you find a SS. Obviously, there are others who can play the position like Hensley, Kessinger, Dubon, etc but all would be worse defensively and likely worse offensively. And all would have a much lower ceiling. Even if you get back someone like Tim Anderson (I was high on him after the WBC) he's only a bandaid and he's been absolutely awful. He's basically Maldonado and I am not exaggerating.

Moving on to Diaz. I would make a similar argument. Maybe the prospects pool isn't as bad with Lee, Berryhill, Price, Correa, Palma, Stubs, etc. but we're downgrading if we move on to any of them now. Or it just means more Maldonado. Diaz has the highest ceiling of the prospects and a ceiling that is probably a top 3 hitter catcher in baseball.
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Not sure who will be better between Dubon and Kessinger but if you had to start only one of them against the Rangers who would it be?
Dubon. That isn't the point. Either Altuve is healthy and you can move Dubon if someone values him. Or he isn't healthy and you're going to struggle at 2B with Dubon or Kessinger. Hopefully, we know before the trade deadline so we can find a 2-month fill in.
Boiling Denim
Are there advanced analytics that suggest what JP France is doing isn't sustainable? He could be massive in offsetting the damage LMJ has done with his injury history
Farmer1906
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Are there advanced analytics that suggest what JP France is doing isn't sustainable? He could be massive in offsetting the damage LMJ has done with his injury history
Sustain a 3.13 ERA? Probably not. His xERA is 4.25. wOBA of .302 vs xwOBA of .320. Doesn't have great swing-and-miss stuff so Ks are a little lacking. But he can probably be a Garica / Urquidy type of pitcher. Solid back end arm you can reply on.
texasaggie2015
AG
I love France but I think his ceiling isn't very high. But his floor isn't super low either. He's a dog and I respect the hell out of it. He'll carve out a career as a #4 guy for a while. No shame in that at all.
Ag_07
AG
I agree. I love France and his mound presence and the way he attacks. He's fearless

At the same time he's expendable if need be.
First Page Last Page
Page 1164 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.