***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,560,737 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He stood there and actually struck out twice.

Hopefully someone asks him or Thompson some hard questions.
W
AG
the Angels sweep the Yankees

that series went great for the Astros

LAAA (49-48) closer to holding onto Ohtani

NYY (50-47) fading from the wildcard race

and special thanks to the A's for beating Boston (51-46) twice this week
Ciboag96
Didn't catch the game live but watching highlights, Gomber didn't take that Chas bomb well. Dude lost it.

Ha, but that would be me. Totally.
Mathguy64
AG
Da Jankees lose.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Boo this man
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Six year contract, he's gonna love it there
AustinCountyAg
Mathguy64 said:

Da Jankees lose.
im more concerned about the rangers losing instead of NY
tjack16
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

It's like Harper just wasn't ever gonna swing

His controller died
Ciboag96
All I do is Nguyen said:

It's like Harper just wasn't ever gonna swing

Taking some time off, "in situ"
agproducer
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm watching the Cubs game and maybe it's just the gummy but why does it feel like Jim Deshaies has been the same age for 20 years

JD is still the best. He and Brownie were great to listen to. I like Kalas and Blum, but imo, they are second to that announcing team.
Wabs
AG
Angels need to keep winning. As an Astros fan, the last thing I want is for them to do the smart thing and trade him for a HUGE haul.
W
AG
it's amazing how many bad contracts the Yankees have

and they only lose Donaldson's and Severino's for next year
Maroon&Fight
Dubon really is the perfect 9 hole hitter for this team if they can ever field a fully healthy lineup. Even is Dusty wants to keep throwing Maldy into the mix, having him bat 8th with Dubon 9th would be the best move imo.
Wabs
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

Dubon really is the perfect 9 hole hitter for this team if they can ever field a fully healthy lineup. Even is Dusty wants to keep throwing Maldy into the mix, having him bat 8th with Dubon 9th would be the best move imo.

What position is he going to play when Altuve and Yordan are back?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs said:

Maroon&Fight said:

4th base obviously
Ag_07
AG
That to me screams he's injured.

I don't know what he did after that but that's a prime example of just stand there and look at pitches because you can't swing a bat.
Mathguy64
AG
Wabs said:

Maroon&Fight said:

Defensively we are a better team with Dubon at 2B

Altuve DH
Dubon 2B
Yordan LF

You can sit Dubon and do
Altuve 2B
Julks LF
Yordan DH

Of course that assumes Julks is still here in 10 days.
Mathguy64
AG
He singled to open B9 down 5-3.

I think he forgot to change the battery in his buzzer. Or the guy flashing the lights in CF went to the can.
Bonnettecj1
Not sure if it came across on TV, but the Astros fans showed out today. Coors field is awesome.

Wabs
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Wabs said:

Maroon&Fight said:

Defensively we are a better team with Dubon at 2B

Altuve DH
Dubon 2B
Yordan LF

You can sit Dubon and do
Altuve 2B
Julks LF
Yordan DH

Of course that assumes Julks is still here in 10 days.

Is Dusty the manager in these scenarios?
Maroon&Fight
He can play SS and have Peña be a bench player until he gets his head straight, can play 2B and Altuve DH, LF and Yordan DH, etc etc. I just think that this team is better when Dubon is playing, and the great thing is he can play wherever and is good at them all
Wabs
AG
I agree with you but did you take who's managing this team into account?
Farmer1906
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

He can play SS and have Peña be a bench player until he gets his head straight,

They have both been in a funk lately and they have been similarly productive (unproductive) this season. At least Pena plays plus defense.
maca1028
JPN06
W said:

and the 'stros really need Atluve back

Dubon OPS at .686

Pena OPS at .672

the team is starting its weakest middle infield combination since 2013
Im gonna go with 2013 Altuve/Villar
redline248
AG
Wabs said:

I agree with you but did you take who's managing this team into account?
Yep. Dusty doesn't care about Dubon's lack of getting on base. He thinks he should bat 5 times a game
Ag_07
AG
I know we're not playing up to par and behind where we wanna be but damn I love watching this Yankee implosion.

Good news for them is at this rate it won't be us who ends their season. It'll be the Angels and Rockies.
W
AG
you are correct sir

Villar was terrible, and Altuve got rolling the next season
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

I know we're not playing up to par and behind where we wanna be but damn I love watching this Yankee implosion.

Good news for them is at this rate it won't be us who ends their season. It'll be the Angels and Rockies.
Don't forget the Mets...it really is a nice season for schadenfreude.

W
AG
late last night the Mariners (47-48) lost again

just 2-4 in the second half (vs. the Tigers and Twins at home)
Prosperdick
AG
W said:

late last night the Mariners (47-48) lost again

just 2-4 in the second half (vs. the Tigers and Twins at home)
That's another one for schadenfreude for Servais...would love to see him get s***canned.

Now if we could only have some for the freaking rangerettes.
texasaggie2015
AG
I was pretty impressed with what I saw from Brent Suter this past series. He's a lefty and has sort of a funky delivery. He's a free agent after this season but I bet he would be cheap. Would be a nice addition to the bullpen. I know we've talked to Colorado about one of their bullpen arms.. I hope we asked about him too.

Brent Suter Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

Brent Suter Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | MLB.com | baseballsavant.com

Edit to add: Pierce Johnson is the player I know we've asked about. He's under contract for a couple years. Not the best season so far for him but his spin rate is really good. Might be the type of player we can get for cheap and see what we can do with him.
Ag_07
AG
Justin Lawrence caught my eye the other day. He has good looking stuff and his inflated numbers may be a result of pitching at Coors.

Home - 28 IP and 4.18 ERA
Away - 21 IP and 0.43 ERA

I'll others dig deep into the advanced stuff but he did catch my eye. His sweeper is pretty filthy.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I was pretty impressed with what I saw from Brent Suter this past series. He's a lefty and has sort of a funky delivery. He's a free agent after this season but I bet he would be cheap. Would be a nice addition to the bullpen. I know we've talked to Colorado about one of their bullpen arms.. I hope we asked about him too.

Brent Suter Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

Brent Suter Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | MLB.com | baseballsavant.com

Edit to add: Pierce Johnson is the player I know we've asked about. He's under contract for a couple years. Not the best season so far for him but his spin rate is really good. Might be the type of player we can get for cheap and see what we can do with him.

I'd really like to see the Astros get players "good" this year and not projects to fix. They don't have the same margin for error as in past seasons.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Farmer1906
AG
We are 8-6 in July with 4 @ OAK, 3 vs ARL, 3 vs TB, and 1 vs CLE (series finished in Aug). Getting Yordan back and getting to 15 wins for the month is the minimum to feel good about July. We'd be 60-47 with 55 left. If we keep the "15-10" pace for the rest of the year we're looking at 93 wins. All seems reasonable and should get us a WC easily with a shot at the division. We probably need to go on a longer run of being hot to surpass Arlington.

First Page Last Page
Page 1149 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.