***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,542,177 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yordan will stay in the field as much as possible
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Seems logical for an injury ridden slugger
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

GhostWipe15
AG
Am I the only one who thinks Cease would be a mistake... explain it to me...

He's averaging 5.35 innings per start this year... worse than all of our current starters.
He has a 4.18 ERA.... on par with all of our starters, less Blanco
He has had one great year, with many other average years.

I just don't see him as much of an upgrade compared to what we currently have. Are we wanting him based of last years performance?

I understand there is team control, but i still dont think its worth giving up anything of value for a marginal upgrade at best.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
To be fair, I'm not sure that running around LF has caused hand soreness/injury or an oblique strain. If he was laying out all the time for fly balls I would be more concerned.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's been very vocal behind the scenes about wanting to stay in the field. And his last two injuries were from swinging the bat.
Ag_07
AG
Mr.Bond said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Seems logical for an injury ridden slugger

Except his recent injuries have come from swinging a bat
texasaggie2015
AG
GhostWipe15 said:

He's averaging 5.35 innings per start this year... worse than all of our current starters.

I just don't see him as much of an upgrade compared to what we currently have. Are we wanting him based of last years performance?

I understand there is team control, but i still dont think its worth giving up anything of value for a marginal upgrade at best.
Dylan Cease would likely be the second best pitcher on this staff. He has great stuff. He's young and is under team control and the Astros have been in love with what they see in him for a year or two now.

He had a rough start to this season but it happens. The ceiling is super high. He was elite last year and above average in 2021.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Can't wait for all the "why is Yordan batting second?!?" tweets
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

GhostWipe15 said:

Dylan Cease would likely be the second best pitcher on this staff. He has great stuff. He's young and is under team control and the Astros have been in love with what they see in him for a year or two now.

He had a rough start to this season but it happens. The ceiling is super high. He was elite last year and above average in 2021.
Cease compared to our group.

Deluxe
AG
As long as there hasn't been a downtick in his stuff (velo, spin, etc), I'd expect an decent uptick in Cease's performance if he left a White Sox team that's been a mess this year and came to Astros team with better analytics/pitcher prep and is chasing a second straight title.

Agree that he'd slot in No. 2, which would bump Javier and Hunter down to 3/4 (which is probably where they should be on a team with WS aspirations).
agproducer
AG
Now do last year!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
And with his Mustache power combined with France we would be unstoppable

Deluxe
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

That's some top tier mustache power. I could envision a movement to make everyone on the staff grow one.
Farmer1906
AG
agproducer said:

Now do last year!
No, it'll make me sad.
k20dub
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So there's not some conspiracy about Yordan being injured?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Deluxe said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

That's some top tier mustache power. I could envision a movement to make everyone on the staff grow one.
how fabulous would that be. I bet hunter would have an embarrassing scruffy dirt squirrel
Farmer1906
AG
Deluxe said:

As long as there hasn't been a downtick in his stuff (velo, spin, etc), I'd expect an decent uptick in Cease's performance if he left a White Sox team that's been a mess this year and came to Astros team with better analytics/pitcher prep and is chasing a second straight title.

Agree that he'd slot in No. 2, which would bump Javier and Hunter down to 3/4 (which is probably where they should be on a team with WS aspirations).
Stuff as in the literal stuff+ pitch modeling still looks good.

If we were to land him, we can argue about playoff rotation when the time comes. The point would be he's in it without a doubt. Someone like France / Bielak / Blanco / Urquidy wouldn't have to be. Plus we replace Bielak before the luck runs out. Maybe someone will even take him off our lands since he's gotten results this year
texasaggie2015
AG
The Rays are sitting Franco and Arozarena today because of course.
Deluxe
AG
Farmer1906 said:

If we were to land him, we can argue about playoff rotation when the time comes. The point would be he's in it without a doubt. Someone like France / Bielak / Blanco / Urquidy wouldn't have to be. Plus we replace Bielak before the luck runs out. Maybe someone will even take him off our lands since he's gotten results this year
Yep. Pitchers who can pitch above their "slot" is a big advantage in October. Almost every team who makes it that far has an ace, but last year no one could compete with Framber, LMJ and Javier going 2-3-4. They were each pitching well above their slots.

Framber has since graduated to ace/game 1 and rightfully so. Cease would play a huge role in helping us keep our slot advantage in games 2-4 (regardless of what order he, Hunter and Javier pitch).
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Whatever happened to JJ? Is he still with Sugarland?
Farmer1906
AG
We cut him and picked him back up. He's played a ton with SL. I assume he's still there.
linkdude
AG
Look for a 6/7th inning Diaz PH, plz
AgHawkeye
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Whatever happened to JJ? Is he still with Sugarland?

Think he was in the lineup yesterday
JohnnyTexAg1995
Yordon 108 off the bat up the middle for a single on the first pitch he saw
Gig 'Em and God Bless
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I think that's all of them
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

I think that's all of them
Nice we landed a few overslot guys in 11-20.
linkdude
AG
I think it's everyone but Duncan (last HS pick). Still haven't announced all the bonuses.
Wabs
AG
JohnnyTexAg1995 said:

Yordon 108 off the bat up the middle for a single on the first pitch he saw
Ok, rehab over. Bring him up.
MAROON
AG
k20dub said:

Farmer1906 said:

So there's not some conspiracy about Yordan being injured?
where is Tuve? I thought he was still on a rehab assignment - back with the big club?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
Pretty sure they reported he was with the team in Colorado. Hopefully he starts his rehab this weekend.
linkdude
AG
cross your fingers
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Hopefully his rehab start against the AAAs will be good enough
First Page Last Page
Page 1139 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.