***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,545,418 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Chef Elko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beerosch said:

07ag said:

Farmer1906 said:

When can we get something like this already?

weren't the astros buying up land to do something like this awhile back?
They bought the land. I thought I heard they were going to put in several things across the street including a hotel that had a walkway over to MMP.
I hope it isn't just a hotel :/ There's not much around Minute Maid. I stick to Truck Yard, Rodeo Goat and 8th wonder.
Farmer1906
AG
We don't have the dudes in the minor for INF to let go of someone like Pena.

Even if he never becomes more than what he is, he's valuable for his glove and not sucking at the plate.

Between Bregman, Altuve, Tucker, & Valdez we have enough vets looking to get paid. I don't want to get older up the middle.
texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

We don't have the dudes in the minor for INF to let go of someone like Pena.

Even if he never becomes more than what he is, he's valuable for his glove and not sucking at the plate.

Between Bregman, Altuve, Tucker, & Valdez we have enough vets looking to get paid. I don't want to get older up the middle.
That's certainly fair. I do think that's what it would take to get Cease.

How about this... Pena or Gilbert? Or is it just a flatout no all around?

I'm bullish on Cease and see him being a steady #2 guy for us for the next few years. There's certainly risk involved but I think it's worth thinking about. Not saying I would do it, but I would think about it.
Ag_07
AG
How long is Cease under control?

Pena is essentially your starting SS for the foreseeable future so that's a lot to give up even if he continues on a path similar to this year.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's a free agent until 2026.

I'm admittedly not as high on Pena as others. But Cease is a legit arm and again.. I'm not saying I would do it. But I think it's worth considering.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I think trading Peña for Cease would be a terrible idea. Cease would be a great addition but after this season, you have options at SP. Who is going to replace a gold glove, WS MVP SS?
Ag_07
AG
I'm kind of in the same boat.

Leaning towards it wouldn't be worth it but absolutely something that would take a lot of consideration, and not something I'd laugh at and hang up the phone as soon as it was pitched.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I don't like the idea of trading Pena unless we are getting a stud SS in another deal. Do not want Tim Anderson. His decline makes Jose Abreu look like a stud. He is bad defensively and offensively. At least Pena has flashes of brilliance at times defensively.

Can Breggy still play shortstop? Maybe pick up a 3rd baseman for a bat if you trade Pena and slide Bregman over if you can't find a SS.
texasaggie2015
AG
You have options, sure. But how confident are we that Javier bounces back? Will LMJ ever contribute again? Will Garcia come back healthy? Are we sold on France long term? Urquidy is a back end guy.

I also think we WAY overvalue a WS MVP. It's a hell of an accomplishment but I don't want to put much stock into a 6 game stretch.. even if it's in the WS.

I can see both sides of the argument. It would be a huge risk.

texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Can Breggy still play shortstop? Maybe pick up a 3rd baseman for a bat if you trade Pena and slide Bregman over if you can't find a SS.
Have you seen Breggy move? Haha

No, he won't play SS. In this scenario, I would expect Chicago to throw in Anderson for cheap (he hates it there and a change of scenery could do wonders..plus he's a FA after this year) or put Dubon at SS.

Again, I'm not saying I would do it, I'm just thinking about what it would take to get it done.
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag_07 said:

But absolutely something that would take a lot of consideration, and not something I'd laugh at and hang up the phone as soon as it was pitched.
Exactly.
Wabs
AG
How about Pena and a couple of top 10 prospects for Cease and Robert?
Ag_07
AG
Can we throw in Maldy?

We'd have to if we were to add Anderson. We don't have the luxury of adding another black hole into our lineup.
texasaggie2015
AG
You know I had to stir things up... it was too boring in here today
Wabs
AG
Ok....Pena, 2 top 10 prospects and Maldy for Cease and Robert.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Im only mentioning his postseason accolades because of how it will resonate with most "fans"

You're absolutely right regarding the uncertainty with everyone of our SPS that are our right now. My point is that you should have an idea after this season what we need and add an arm that won't cost you someone like Peña. The catch is you may miss out on a potential run or deep run this year.
Deluxe
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

You know I had to stir things up... it was too boring in here today
Inevitably Pena is gonna hit a dinger tonight, someone is gonna snarky post "and y'all wanted to trade Pena", and it's going to get 10 blue stars.

With that said, this thread is gradually getting better about differentiating between hypothetical trade ideas involving a specific player and asserting a poster wants to trade said player. It's fun to kick around ideas.

Despite his sophomore struggles, Pena is a nice asset. But so is Cease through 2025. A deal with those two headlining is something we should consider if it's presented to us (with the obvious caveat that we make a corresponding move to pickup a utility player to replace Dubon, who would become starting SS). My concern would almost be on the other side... that the White Sox wouldn't be interested.
07ag
AG
What is a catch? I think the umps got this one right, his release of the ball was not voluntary

https://ts.la/eric59704
Mr President Elect
AG
I remember getting flak for discussing benching him for the playoffs last year. Glad we didn't obviously, but dang get your crap together Pena.

With that being said, he doesn't look near as lost at the plate this year on breaking stuff, but that hasn't translated to anything.
gougler08
AG
07ag said:

What is a catch? I think the umps got this one right, his release of the ball was not voluntary

I mean that looks like a catch to me, he took a bunch of steps before dumping it over the wall
Mathguy64
AG
If that's not a catch then there should never be another out call on a transfer play at 2B
Ag_07
AG
I like that he signals out when he realizes he didn't have it.

He knew
BCEDAg
AG
Seen no mention of Hensley being part of a trade package. Does he have no value?
Farmer1906
AG
gougler08 said:

07ag said:

I mean that looks like a catch to me, he took a bunch of steps before dumping it over the wall

Looks like a very obvious catch to me. They'd probably call that a catch in the NFL too.
Farmer1906
AG
BCEDAg said:

Seen no mention of Hensley being part of a trade package. Does he have no value?

Probably not much. Hes 27 and had one of the worst 20-30 game stretches ever.
scrimp
AG
Pena is what most (reasonable) people thought he would be--good defensive SS, decent bat that can be pretty streaky both hot and cold. I like him and think he could be a solid contributor for the Astros for the next several years.

That being said, I don't think he's "untouchable" as far as trades go. Starting pitching is a premium position. For a SP with a few more years of control, it's going to take something more than a lottery ticket prospect and bucket of balls. I don't know that I would make the Pena/Cease hypothetical trade, but I wouldn't blame a GM for at least having that conversation.

The Milkman
AG
Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

07ag said:

Looks like a very obvious catch to me. They'd probably call that a catch in the NFL too.
The rule is that they have to maintain possession of the ball until they voluntarily or intentionally release it. The amount of steps or whatever has no bearing.
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40
The Milkman said:

Farmer1906 said:

gougler08 said:

07ag said:

The rule is that they have to maintain possession of the ball until they voluntarily or intentionally release it. The amount of steps or whatever has no bearing.
Let me get this straight, to make sure I understand: If the right fielder catches the ball for the would be 3rd out, jogs all way to 1B without transferring the ball, the 1B hits his elbow and the ball falls out of his glove within fair territory, the umpire would rule it a live ball?
BadAggie
AG
Re Cease or trading a ton for another 'elite' arm

This season through 2025 is basically the window for the current group. I would expect Altuve and Bregman to be re-signed in 2024.

The Astros have benefitted a ton from being able to develop starting pitching out of the DR that cost $10K to sign. Not to mention extending Yordan on a cheaper deal than market.

You gotta be confident of course in the trajectory of the career of a Cease or whoever you trade for, but hey, might as well go all in as much as you can to maximize winning in the current window.
agproducer
AG
Regarding Cease -- what about Chas, Lee, Melton and Whitley?

I'd hate to part with Chas, but it could be a sell-high for him.
BadAggie
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Sure in a perfect healthy world armchair expert
Big Al 1992
AG
I don't mind this at all. This is what lineups would look like if Dusty had zero to do with it.
Ag_07
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

I don't mind this at all. This is what lineups would look like if Dusty had zero to do with it.

tjack16
AG
Best lineup in a long time

Which means it'll score 2 runs and Dusty will forever feel justified for starting Maldonado (just kidding… hopefully)
First Page Last Page
Page 1123 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.