***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,546,634 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
iamtheglove
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EastCoastAgNc said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Get him to talk with Julks, who has looked so much better since becoming more patient.
Julks has actually starting to draw more walks as a result of his aggressiveness on pitches in the zone. I think the difference is Julks is much more patient. A lot of it probably has to do with being three years older.

Agreed. The problem with Diaz right now is his aggressiveness regardless of pitch location. Doesn't even really matter if it's even a competitive pitch. He will free swing at chin-high FBs. Julks has become much more selective and patient with balls outside the zone.

Sounds like someone else we know...

Gattis was definitely known for his beard high blasts
Farmer1906
AG
Over slot signing.

Beat40
Anyone heard any word on Yordan? Is it a little concerning we haven't heard when he's going to start his rehab?
Maroon&Fight
This is my first time following the post-MLB draft process. Are they signing him that much above value because they really like him and don't want him to go to college?
Ag_07
AG
Beat40 said:

Anyone heard any word on Yordan? Is it a little concerning we haven't heard when he's going to start his rehab?

Illness my ass
Dies Irae
Beat40 said:

I feel like he's getting the Fetterman treatment and will vanish for two months from the public eye
07ag
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

This is my first time following the post-MLB draft process. Are they signing him that much above value because they really like him and don't want him to go to college?

Yes, probably had discussions/negotiations before the draft and knew what it would take to sign him
https://ts.la/eric59704
Maroon&Fight
Gotcha, feels a little steep but if he turns out to be a stud then it's great execution
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Rangers down 2-0 in the bottom of the 5th.
Mr.Ackar07
EastCoastAgNc said:

They've been down by two or more runs twice before with no loss since the break. Let's see if the Rays bullpen can hang on.
linkdude
AG
scrimp
AG
scrimp said:

I wonder how this compares to the rest of the league. Haven't had a chance to look, but it's starting pitching average length overall down due to the pitch clock?
Ok, did a quick check, and if fangraphs is to be believed, the average IP/GS about the same compared to the full season 2022.

Looks like the main difference is that the Astro starters last year did an amazing job going deep in games. An average of 1/3 additional IP/GS averages out to 48 innings over the course of a year that RPs don't have to cover.
MaxPower
Maroon&Fight said:

Correct. Most HS guys have leverage being able to go to college so the good ones will look for a high 6 or 7 figure bonuses. The round they are drafted is less relevant than other sports because there are shenanigans that go on to manage the total bonus pool. So a less talented guy might go in the second because they will sign under slot to save bonus pool money while a more talented guys goes several rounds later because teams know he will require more $ to sign.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

They've been down by two or more runs twice before with no loss since the break. Let's see if the Rays bullpen can hang on.

Tied 2-2 bottom ninth
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Tied 2-2 bottom ninth

Walk off wild pitch... Get it together Tampa Bay
f1ghtintexasaggie
Lost 1 game since the ASB and yet 1.5 on the Rangers in that same span. Lovely.
Wabs
AG
**** the Rangers.
Boiling Denim
Vintage Chapman the last 3 months. Hopefully they run him into the ground in time for his usual playoff swoon

The Rays are playing .500 ball for a bit now which is pretty much slipping in that division. Baltimore could catch them tomorrow with Eovaldi pitching
Farmer1906
AG
They really are a one man show.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That makes me thankful that we have been able to win games with Yordan out.

But F the Yankees - I hope they lose every game they play
mAgnoliAg
AG
So Chapman is a god now I guess. Maybe we could replicate with the hometown kid who throws even harder?
Maroon&Fight
Got it, thanks for the explanation
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Jordan Hicks, I presume?
spadilly
S
Watching the Yanks/Angels right now and they just showed this comparison. Incredible.

mAgnoliAg
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Jordan Hicks, I presume?

Yes
W
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

that's why we need to track the wildcard race and the division race

Rangers are 4-0 post-break...and this was supposed to be a difficult stretch for them
Farmer1906
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

So Chapman is a god now I guess. Maybe we could replicate with the hometown kid who throws even harder?
Chapman - one of the worst people in baseball.

That is a guy I would never want on our team. I despised it when we had Osuna.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Rangers are 4-0 post-break...and this was supposed to be a difficult stretch for them
It's fine to track everything. I watch the standings and race across the leagues. I bet most of us do. What matters is what we do. As long as this roster gets healthy and plays as it should, we will win the division. If we keep living with 2-3 keys guys on the IL and we're very up and down like we have been, then the division is likely lost. But even if it isn't, we're probably not getting far in Oct.
Farmer1906
AG
Question of the night.

If Ohtani gets traded to the NL, who wins the AL MVP? Can he somehow win the NL MVP? Can he win both? I would assume he doesn't win either, but he could've one of the greatest seasons ever without any hardware.
Johnsy3
AG
W said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

To be fair, they started with Cleveland. They have 2 more with TB, then LAD, then us. It gets real difficult now
Ag_07
AG
I've thought about it and I don't think he gets traded.

Ohtani is a cash cow for the Angels with ticket sales, merch, advertising etc etc.

I don't think Moreno wants to give that up even for just the rest of the season at the expense of building a winning team for the future. That's not what he wants. He wants the money and the exposure.
jah003
S
Lol… why would you pitch to Ohtani there.
First Page Last Page
Page 1120 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.