***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,546,648 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Put me in the camp of trading for Bellinger and a SP. I know we're targeting BP help, but I think we bolster the BP just as much (maybe more) by adding a SP. Urquidy, Blanco, and/or Bielak would provide much needed long-relief depth that we need.
Prosperdick
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yeah that's a shlt ton for 2 months of those guys

Pass
Plus a guy who could be the pitcher equivalent of Carlos Gomez with a s**t attitude and Bellinger, who might not fit in (unless of course he rakes, and then we don't care). Even if you get "good" Stroman and Cory that's crapload to give up for a 2 month rental.

Might as well give that list to the Angels and see if they would part with Ohtani if you're giving that much up.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
While you cannot assume all of those things, we alao had been lucky on pitcher health and really gambled on the consistency of super young pitching.

The team should know by now that you never COUNT on McCullers. His presence is a bonus.

Framber and Urquidy provided two proven arms. Garcia was a third, but was a pitcher having to reinvent his pitching motion due to rule changes
and that is always a red-flag for injury watch. Neither Javier or Brown have endured a full ML season as a starter yet.

There is a reason why many thought we should have added a veteran depth arm after we let JV walk.

I am not saying the team should have predicted the particualar injuries, I am simply saying they gambled on SP depth coming off of a year when your pitchers all stayed remarkably healthy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Wabs said:

Put me in the camp of trading for Bellinger and a SP. I know we're targeting BP help, but I think we bolster the BP just as much (maybe more) by adding a SP. Urquidy, Blanco, and/or Bielak would provide much needed long-relief depth that we need.
They need more than just long relief help. The entire bullpen is gassed.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I know the team is looking for RP under control, which is smart, but have you heard anything about Hicks? He seems like someone that should not cost much as a rental but could be probably be extended/resigned as a local kid.
texasaggie2015
AG
They'll definitely be inquiring on the Cardinals players if they haven't already. Hicks included.

I will say the reason they want relievers with team control is most of them are on team-friendly contracts. It'll allow them to spend more in free agency this next offseason where they can upgrade in other areas.
Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

It'll allow them to spend more in free agency this next offseason where they can upgrade in other areas.

No Jeff we have Dana here now. You can't provide your input anymore.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

They'll definitely be inquiring on the Cardinals players if they haven't already. Hicks included.

I will say the reason they want relievers with team control is most of them are on team-friendly contracts. It'll allow them to spend more in free agency this next offseason where they can upgrade in other areas.
TED extension confirmed!

SpaceCityAg05
AG
Sure. And bullpen figures to be a big spot there with FA openings.

I would not pay Neris like a closer (grimacing at Montero deal), but he is the rare super consistent reliever that I would be comfortable giving 8-10 mil for a 2 year deal.

Stanek is replacable, and I think Maton will get overpaid.

The lack of young high-octane RO arms ready for the majors is actually where I feel like our shallow system is being most revealed, without another Abreu or even Josh James ready to step up and help.

Between the deadline and offseason, we need both another high quality backend guy as well as another 1-2 younger projects than we can improve.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Enjoy your award Chas! Also, enjoy the bench tomorrow!
scrimp
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Wabs said:

They need more than just long relief help. The entire bullpen is gassed.
The main thing I see is Montero--he's taking up one of your 8 spots in the pen, and providing almost nothing in return. That's putting more work on the other 7, and much more stress on the core 4 (Neris, Maton, Abreu, Pressly). You can't send him down, and I don't think DFA'ing him is likely. So, maybe he develops a blister that needs a 60 day IL?

n_touch
Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Enjoy your award Chas! Also, enjoy the bench tomorrow!
The next week.
texasaggie2015
AG
Every single arm in the bullpen is on pace to surpass their career highs for innings pitched. It's not just a Montero problem. These guys are going to fall apart down the stretch if we don't get reinforcements.
Prosperdick
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Every single arm in the bullpen is on pace to surpass their career highs for innings pitched. It's not just a Montero problem. These guys are going to fall apart down the stretch if we don't get reinforcements.
At least today is a rest day!
Mr.Bond
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Saw this online…

If that's our return but we trade
Chaz
Julks
Blanco
Leon
Lee
Young arm not Arreghetti

My response....... you are higher than giraffe poosay
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

SpaceCityAg05
AG
As we have seen, the six man rotation needed as a crutch for the young SP further hurts the bullpen by making them play a man short

While unorthodox, I wonder if there would be any consideration in using a tandem setup until the end of August with a pair of guys from Javier, Brown, or France? It would not be long term viable, but you get extra help in September and it might allow you to save some innings on a couple of arms (3-4 innings per start), eapecially if you add another SP via trade.

For example, Framber, Javier/Brown, Urquidy, SP addition, France. It seems like it could provide a break to two SP while also providing another game where the bullpen doesn't have to do heavy lifting.

Otherwise I don't see relief for some of these guys short of phantom IL stints.
Farmer1906
AG
scrimp
AG
Oh, I agree and understand the issue. I know it's not just a Montero issue, but I do think it is a big chunk of the problem. Montero is on pace to have the same number of innings as last year--but last year, so many were high leverage. This year, it's mop up innings.

The other issue is our #4 and #5 are not getting as deep in games this year, which is causing more stress on the bullpen.

Pressly, Maton and Abreu are all on pace to exceed last year's innings pitched. Neris and Stanek are similar.

Getting another solid RP arm would is great, but Dana's still going to run into issues with the 13 pitcher limit and 40 man. Montero taking up a spot doesn't help out. I hope RM can turn it around and give quality innings, but I'm not optimistic...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
scrimp said:

Oh, I agree and understand the issue. I know it's not just a Montero issue, but I do think it is a big chunk of the problem. Montero is on pace to have the same number of innings as last year--but last year, so many were high leverage. This year, it's mop up innings.

The other issue is our #4 and #5 are not getting as deep in games this year, which is causing more stress on the bullpen.

Pressly, Maton and Abreu are all on pace to exceed last year's innings pitched. Neris and Stanek are similar.

Getting another solid RP arm would is great, but Dana's still going to run into issues with the 13 pitcher limit and 40 man. Montero taking up a spot doesn't help out. I hope RM can turn it around and give quality innings, but I'm not optimistic...
Overall in agreeance with you. 3/5 of the rotation isn't going 6 innings reliably. In my opinion, SP is so much more important to me than BP. IF the Astros can get 1 or even 2 guys that can get 6 reliably like Framber and JP, a lot of the BP issues I think will start to take care of themselves.

That's why I don't like this idea of trading for BP arms with control. Especially when BP arms are historically unreliable year to year.

IF the Astros can get 1 guy that can get you 6 innings on a nightly basis, them I'm fine getting a rental BP arm.
Mathguy64
AG
It's not just a #4 or 5 not going deep. It's the entire rotation

Framber is 6.5 IP/start
Javier is 5.1
Brown is 5.5
JP is 5.8
Bielak is 5.7
Urquidy was 4.5
Garcia was. 4.5
Blanco is 5.7

So basically every start is averaging 3 plus relievers if they each give an inning. And that doesn't count the 7 extra inning fiascos.

We are using half our pen every night. That's why we see 44 and 45 games on these guys.

Beat40
I'm basically counting JP as a 6 inning guy for my discussion because like the last 6-8 starts he's gone 6-7 innings per game.

Remains to be seen if he can keep that up the remainder of the season.
Ag_07
AG
As far who goes if we add more BP arms I think Stanek, Martinez, and this new big country MFer are all dispensable.

There's a palatable route to make room for arms who are an upgrade.
MaxPower
I wonder if Brown needs to go to the pen at some point to reduce innings. If you can get Urquidy healthy and acquire another starter then he may be your big RP addition. Problem is everyone wants pitching, whether of the SP or RP variety.
BadAggie
AG
What is it about Chas that would make the Astros move him? Seems like a good profile for a starting CFer.

Is he nearing free agency and they don't want to commit?
BadAggie
AG
According to this Chas is under control through 2026

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/chas-mccormick-48745/
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Correct, which is why giving up Chas in a deal that doesn't involve Luis Robert and his similar club control seems short-sighted.

Cheap, controllable top 10 CF don't grow on trees. Plus even if one of our minor league CF starts knocking the door down, you can slide Chas to a corner where the bat and glove are still strong.
agdaddy04
AG
Who else is going to be in town for the game tomorrow? Taking the family and we're sitting in 245.
Mathguy64
AG
We had tickets for the start of a vacation and sold them and cancelled. Dealing with a sick dog and we didn't want to leave him for an extended period.

We would have left yesterday for Denver, then on to Moab, Arches, CanyonLands, Bryce, Page/Antelope Canyon, and the North Rim.
spadilly
S

Off days…

agdaddy04
AG
Dang sorry to hear. We drove over to Canyonlands and Arches this past spring break. Was a blast.
scrimp
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Framber is 6.5 IP/start
Javier is 5.1
Brown is 5.5
JP is 5.8
Bielak is 5.7
Urquidy was 4.5
Garcia was. 4.5
Blanco is 5.7

So basically every start is averaging 3 plus relievers if they each give an inning. And that doesn't count the 7 extra inning fiascos.

We are using half our pen every night. That's why we see 44 and 45 games on these guys.

I wonder how this compares to the rest of the league. Haven't had a chance to look, but it's starting pitching average length overall down due to the pitch clock?
Beau Holder
AG
Mathguy64 said:

We had tickets for the start of a vacation and sold them and cancelled. Dealing with a sick dog and we didn't want to leave him for an extended period.

We would have left yesterday for Denver, then on to Moab, Arches, CanyonLands, Bryce, Page/Antelope Canyon, and the North Rim.

Just very recently did Bryce, Zion, and Antelope/Horseshoe Bend. Sorry to hear that news but hope you get a chance to get out there soon, it's so worth it.
Beat40
scrimp said:

Mathguy64 said:

Framber is 6.5 IP/start
Javier is 5.1
Brown is 5.5
JP is 5.8
Bielak is 5.7
Urquidy was 4.5
Garcia was. 4.5
Blanco is 5.7

I wonder how this compares to the rest of the league. Haven't had a chance to look, but it's starting pitching average length overall down due to the pitch clock?

Good question.
First Page Last Page
Page 1119 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.