***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,547,337 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
FrioAg 00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Screw that. I love how much they hate us.
Farmer1906
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Screw that. I love how much they hate us.

Wabs
AG
I love how they boo Astros that weren't even on the 2017 team. Seriously, I love it because it just confirms how idiotic and fake the hate is. It literally makes no sense. Mariners fans boo Yordan because of extreme butthurt.
Farmer1906
AG
I wonder if they'd be willing to sell a young pitcher like Miller or Woo. They have Castillo & Ray locked up. Even though Ray is out for a while. Kirby & Gilbert are studs. Plus they have some more arms in AA/AAA that are probably ready to get a shot.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I wonder if they'd be willing to sell a young pitcher like Miller or Woo. They have Castillo & Ray locked up. Even though Ray is out for a while. Kirby & Gilbert are studs. Plus they have some more arms in AA/AAA that are probably ready to get a shot.
Not sure why I am talking myself into this... but they need some help at 2B, OF, & DH.

Offensive WAR

Dubon & Chas for Miller & Brash.

Who says no?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I would say no from the Astros standpoint. While the talent return would be fascinating, that move detracts from your win-now mode. I think the Chas/Dubon combo is more important/valuable to our chances this year than Miller/Brash would be.

Miller isn't established or stretched out for a pennant run either - that is not the kind of arm we need right now.
Farmer1906
AG
I know its a silly hypothetical, but I am curious. What do you mean he's not stretched out? He's got an inning limit this season or he's not going deep enough?

He's averaging 83 pitches and 5.1 IP per game. That seems good.

He's thrown ~84 inning across the bigs and minors. You don't think he's got another 80 in him?

SpaceCityAg05
AG
What I mean is we don't know. Would he wilt in September/October?

Half of our problem is that we are dependent on young arms outside of Framber that are wilting right now.

Regardless of quality (2 starter vs. 3/4), the priority would seem to me to be to acquire a veteran arm that can reliably soak up innings down the stretch.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I should add that this what we actually miss most in Verlander this year. Everyone points to Verlanders postaeason struggles, but his regular season dominance allowed us to reach October with a strong, fresher staff. He literally made the guys around him better.

It is the same reason that as nauseating as it is now, Fiers was a critical piece in 2017 because he ate innings when guys were hurt.

It is also while you can add me to the list of those surprised that we didn't give Keuchel a flyer since it would have cost nothing.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
The funny thing is that Jeter is right that we are currently set up to be just as deadly as ever in October.

We juat have to get there intact first, and that is something that the organization may have taken for granted a little bit after making the postseason for so many consecutive years.
Boiling Denim
Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

In non-Astros related events: I'd love to see Ohtani pass what Judge did last year. That would be so funny given Yankees fans creamed themselves over that 62 last year

The $64k question is would MLB give Ohtani the special balls?
Based on those games this weekend I think they already are. Rumblings online are suggesting the same
gougler08
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Mathguy64 said:

tjack16 said:

In non-Astros related events: I'd love to see Ohtani pass what Judge did last year. That would be so funny given Yankees fans creamed themselves over that 62 last year

The $64k question is would MLB give Ohtani the special balls?
Based on those games this weekend I think they already are. Rumblings online are suggesting the same
Only in 7th inning and later apparently
cone
AG
Sex Panther said:

Farmer1906 said:

So we need Shohei to fix our image. I'm sold

HOES MAD
Beat40
SpaceCityAg05 said:

The funny thing is that Jeter is right that we are currently set up to be just as deadly as ever in October.

We juat have to get there intact first, and that is something that the organization may have taken for granted a little bit after making the postseason for so many consecutive years.
You never really thought LMJ was going to come back until the All-Star break in 2023 anyway, but you thought your rotation was going to be Framber, CJ, Brown, Garcia, Urquidy, and then add LMJ at the All-Star break based on how the start of the season was going.

No organization is prepared to lose 2 guys from the rotation for the entire year, both of which are very good pitchers, and then lose a really decent low end 3 / high end 4 for half the season. That's 3 guys. No one also expected to Javier to take the step back he has this year. You essentially lost 4 guys in your rotation with CJ having the struggles he's having.

On top of that, Altuve gets a freak thumb break that causes him to miss 2 months to start the season.

Then you sign a guy who mayyybe showed some hint he might not be as good with his power numbers down last year to play 1B, but you didn't think he'd rock a .550 OPS through the end of May. Even if he had the same power as last year, at least he'd get on base and drive in runs, right?

The only place where the organization probably took for granted was another LH bat.

Overall, I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the organization took anything for granted. I think the rotation just had unfortunate luck with injury, Altuve had unfortunate luck, and the organization had unfortunate luck with Abreu to start the year.

Despite all of that listed above, the Astros are 3 games out of the division. Incredible, really.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Saw this online…

If that's our return but we trade
Chaz
Julks
Blanco
Leon
Lee
Young arm not Arreghetti
texasaggie2015
AG
That's... a lot to give up for two rentals.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

To quote my 2yr old niece "yes or no" lol
Ag_07
AG
Yeah that's a shlt ton for 2 months of those guys

Pass
Mathguy64
AG
That's a no for me Dawg.
texasaggie2015
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

To quote my 2yr old niece "yes or no" lol
No.
Wabs
AG
All that for 2 months of those 2 guys? Hell naw.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Saw this online…

Chaz
Julks
Blanco
Leon
Lee
Young arm not Arreghetti

Ok, how about
Chaz
Blanco
Lee
Leon
Some low level extra
texasaggie2015
AG
You're underestimating how much value Chas has. Lots of teams are calling about him.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't expect them to land a name as big as Stroman. Bellinger is in play. But as far as SPs go, the asking price will be very high. I would expect them to get someone who is more of a 3 or 4 type guy.. maybe a rental who will be relatively cheaper.
Deluxe
AG
Yea. I doubt we trade Chas for rentals.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

You're underestimating how much value Chas has. Lots of teams are calling about him.
Chas being under control for 3 more years (or whatever it is) is huge and the Astros really need to leverage that IF he is part of any deal.
Beat40
Really bummed this is no game tonight. So weird to have a Monday off after a Sunday.
linkdude
AG
Chas is basically ready made pop for a lineup. No tinkering needed, he's even smoothed his platoon splits. If teams are calling on him, to me, that's a sign to hold on to him.
Mathguy64
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Saw this online…

Chaz
Julks
Blanco
Leon
Lee
Young arm not Arreghetti

Ok, how about
Chaz
Blanco
Lee
Leon
Some low level extra
No. That's a lot of control for two rentals.

Hell I wouldn't swap Chas for Belli straight up much less give them Chas and anyone else.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Saw this online…

Chaz
Julks
Blanco
Leon
Lee
Young arm not Arreghetti

Ok, how about
Chaz
Blanco
Lee
Leon
Some low level extra
No. That's a lot of control for two rentals.

Hell I wouldn't swap Chas for Belli straight up much less give them Chas and anyone else.

Point being though that it isn't just Bellinger. It's getting another big time starter to finish off the season and possibly resign him as well if things go well.
texasaggie2015
AG
That's a massive overpay. I would say the chances of us opening up the checkbook to retain Stroman would be very, very low.

Don't be surprised if you see the majority of the Astros big trade chips going to bullpen help. They want one or two guys with multiple years of team control. I fully believe they'll get SP as well, but it'll be a rental who won't be a big splash. The bat would also be a rental.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Do we include current pen arms to make room for the new ones? If we're adding depth to the pen someone has to go, they can't all be sent down.

Unfortunately the one who needs to go most can't be dealt
Beat40
Isn't Stroman also someone who essentially has to want to play for you? Seems like you're taking multiple big risks for Stroman (that he wants to even play for the Astros and thus performs) and Bellinger (the risk the Bellinger doesn't regress after the trade) for 2 months rental.

Seems like a pretty big gamble to me.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

That's a massive overpay. I would say the chances of us opening up the checkbook to retain Stroman would be very, very low.

Don't be surprised if you see the majority of the Astros big trade chips going to bullpen help. They want one or two guys with multiple years of team control. I fully believe they'll get SP as well, but it'll be a rental who won't be a big splash. The bat would also be a rental.
I'm not a huge fan of giving up big trade chips for bullpen arms with multiple years of team control given how fickle they can be from year to year, unless they are absolute rockstars.
texasaggie2015
AG
Seth Martinez will probably be thrown into a deal. There's room for a guy or two.

Neris, Maton and Stanek will be FAs after this year. They need guys.
First Page Last Page
Page 1118 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.