***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,547,682 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Ok, let's examine the potential addition of Cody Bellinger. Question #1 is where would he play? Along that line is how much? Start most days or platoon?

He returned from injury on June 15 he's slashing .353/.394/.577, 5 HR and a 158 wRC+ in 94 PA. A little over half those games have been in CF, the others at 1B.

In that same, one Chas McCormick is slashing .361/.446/.639, 5 HR and a 201 wRC+ in 83 PA.

According to statcast they are similar in Outs Above Average (90 for Cody, 87 for Chas) and OF Jump (44 to 45), and Cody has better arm strength.

Should they both be in the OF at the same time, and occasionally slide Bellinger to 1B or DH to get Yordan some games in the OF?

Yes, Chas in LF and Bellinger in CF, Yordan DH should be the "normal" lineup. Occasionally go Bellinger 1B, Abreu DH, Yordan in LF.
texasaggie2015
AG
redline248 said:

Should they both be in the OF at the same time, and occasionally slide Bellinger to 1B or DH to get Yordan some games in the OF?

If Bellinger comes to Houston, I would be willing to bet both Julks and Meyers are out. Between OF, 1B and DH he would be playing nearly every day somewhere.

I think Meyers and Julks have a little more value than most think due to their cheap contracts and years of control. I think that would be appealing to small market teams.. like the Royals. Would one of them plus a couple of mid-level prospects get us Scott Barlow? And then maybe you could include the other in a deal for a SP.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Ok, let's examine the potential addition of Cody Bellinger. Question #1 is where would he play? Along that line is how much? Start most days or platoon?

He returned from injury on June 15 he's slashing .353/.394/.577, 5 HR and a 158 wRC+ in 94 PA. A little over half those games have been in CF, the others at 1B.

In that same, one Chas McCormick is slashing .361/.446/.639, 5 HR and a 201 wRC+ in 83 PA.

According to statcast they are similar in Outs Above Average (90 for Cody, 87 for Chas) and OF Jump (44 to 45), and Cody has better arm strength.

If we get Beli he's the starting CFer, Chas is the starting LFer, and Yordan is the DH. If everything is perfect, that's how it should be. Beli should also get starts at first, Chas should get starts in CF, and Yordan get starts in LF.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I presume that it would be Belli in CF and Chas in LF with Yordan at DH.
texasaggie2015
AG
FWIW- Yordan will not be the permanent DH. He may play more DH after the deadline, but it won't be a permanent thing. He's been very vocal about wanting to play in the field and the numbers back it up.
Mathguy64
AG
The difference between Yordan in LF and Yordan as DH is the difference between an average player and an MVP. He needs to be in the field as much as he can.

SpaceCityAg05
AG
In games where Yordan is more suited to play LF (home, Framber and Brown starts, etc.), you can also give Tucker, Chas, and Abreu DH days to spare legs. In fact, Belli could play more 1B (defensive upgrade) and allow Abreu to play more 1B.
texasaggie2015
AG
Also.. I'm not completely ruling out Chas being moved.

I do think Meyers/Julks are more likely because the Astros asking price for Chas is a lot higher. But teams are calling to ask about Chas and Houston will move him if they get an offer too good to pass up.

As much as we like Chas, and rightfully so, he's going to eventually regress to the mean.
Farmer1906
AG
Cody Since 6/27
  • 223 wRC+
  • 1.203 OPS
  • .504 wOBA
  • .433 BA
  • .273 xBA
  • 20.4% HH% (only 11)
  • 3.7% Barrel% (only 2)
  • 86.2 EV

He's 3rd in the league in the gap between xwOBA and actual wOBA.

He screams red flag.

But, just because he is unlikely to live up to the great season he's been having doesn't mean he doesn't have value.

His splits are reversed this year, but over his career, he's hit better vs RHP. That is a need. He's a plus defensive option at CF & 1B. While we have good options in the OF, there is no reason to not improve them more. We saw how valuable the OF was yesterday with Chas in LF making plays that Yordan and maybe Julks do not. He has a good arm in CF which Meyers and Chas do not. If Abreu isn't truly back (but he's back IMO) then we have someone to plug in at 1B.

If we go after Beli it's about 1. not overpaying 2. setting expectations correctly.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Chas is obviously due some regression, but he is still a top 10 CF with 3.5 years of control remaining.

We have no business trading that unless it is for an All-Star caliber talent. If we are acquiring a 3/4 starter or middle reliever, it would be an undervaluation to trade him.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The difference between Yordan in LF and Yordan as DH is the difference between an average player and an MVP. He needs to be in the field as much as he can.

I would think a guy with a .926 OPS is still an MVP candidate, not an average player.
Farmer1906
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

Chas is obviously due some regression, but he is still a top 10 CF with 3.5 years of control remaining.

We have no business trading that unless it is for an All-Star caliber talent. If we are acquiring a 3/4 starter or middle reliever, it would be an undervaluation to trade him.
Agreed. Let him regress to a 115 wRC+ hitter.

Also agree, Chas shouldn't be moved unless its for a major piece with multiple years of control.
tjack16
AG
Trading Chas right now would be stupid. Especially given the bat you get in return will be more expensive, a rental, or about the same output level he has been at when healthy
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I would think a guy with a .926 OPS is still an MVP candidate, not an average player.
How about MVP candidate versus run away MVP winner?
houag78
AG
Agree YA is better when playing LF, but his DH stats aren't exactly "average" :
.926 OPS and annualized RBI of 126!
Jet Black
I wouldn't trade Julks.
JDUB08AG
AG
Decided to catch an As game tonight. In town for a conference. Any tips? Hotel is about 10 min and figured I'd Uber. Not sure if it's on the bart line.
Ag_07
AG
Chas is the CFer we need to trade for except he doesn't bat from the left side.

Fckn ridiculous that we're discussing this and that our brain dead manager can't just play him everyday because he doesn't like him.

And on the broadcast last night one of those putzs praised Dusty and his people skills.
Farmer1906
AG
Get Healthy

Play the Best Players

Add 1 Bat

1. Altuve - 4 (137 wRC+)
2. Tucker - 9 (138)
3. Bregman - 5 (108)
4. Alvarez - DH (166)
5. Abreu - 3 (77)
6. Beli - 8 (135)
7. McCormick - 7 (146)
8. Diaz - 2 (108)
9. Pena - 6 (90)
PH - Julks, Dubon

This lineup has no holes and is very good defensively.
MAROON
AG
JDUB08AG said:

Decided to catch an As game tonight. In town for a conference. Any tips? Hotel is about 10 min and figured I'd Uber. Not sure if it's on the bart line.
bring a fleece or a jacket. Otherwise, you will freeze your butt off.

Coldest MLB game I've ever been to was an August night game in Oakland
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
texasaggie2015
AG
I think y'all must have stopped reading before I said " if they get an offer too good to pass up."

Their asking price is high.
Mathguy64
AG
Perusing C, what about Yasmani Grandal? FA in 2024 so purely a rental. He's not setting the world in fire at OPs of. .680 and wRC+ of 89, but he's better batting left than right and I would think he would be cheap.
agproducer
AG
MAROON said:

JDUB08AG said:

bring a fleece or a jacket. Otherwise, you will freeze your butt off.

Coldest MLB game I've ever been to was an August night game in Oakland

Definitely bring a jacket. I was at a day game in May one year, it was sunny and beautiful, but windy and chilly.

Also, buy the cheapest ticket you can get. When I went in 2018, I bought a ticket for a buck. Then, it was so empty, I could sit anywhere. Ushers didn't check tickets.

The stadium is crap. It was strange to see such a well manicured field surrounded by the Astrodome now without a roof.

Wabs
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Get Healthy

Play the Best Players

Add 1 Bat

1. Altuve - 4 (137 wRC+)
2. Tucker - 9 (138)
3. Bregman - 5 (108)
4. Alvarez - DH (166)
5. Abreu - 3 (77)
6. Beli - 8 (135)
7. McCormick - 7 (146)
8. Diaz - 2 (108)
9. Pena - 6 (90)
PH - Julks, Dubon

This lineup has no holes and is very good defensively.
This lineup is pretty much what I've been saying. It's a very good lineup very capable of winning a title (given that we add another SP as well).
agproducer
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Perusing C, what about Yasmani Grandal? FA in 2024 so purely a rental. He's not setting the world in fire at OPs of. .680 and wRC+ of 89, but he's better batting left than right and I would think he would be cheap.

I see what you are getting at, but pass. Plus, I don't think his offense is worth the hit we'd take defensively.

Yuck.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
I understand - I just don't know what that offer could hypothetically mean, unless we are back to talking about Luis Robert and/or Dylan Cease.

Perhaps for 1.5 years of Juan Soto, but I don't see the Padres trading him.

Most of the players that might be available are below All-Star caliber.
mAgnoliAg
AG
tjack16 said:

Trading Chas right now would be stupid. Especially given the bat you get in return will be more expensive, a rental, or about the same output level he has been at when healthy

Only package I would include him in is for LRJ
Farmer1906
AG
W
AG
Astros (52-42) have a 2-game lead for the last wildcard spot

over the Yankees (50-44) and Red Sox (50-44)

NYY begins a 3-game set in Anaheim tonight

Red Sox start a 3-game series at Oakland
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
I don't take anything seriously when barstool gives takes but I gotta say this is kind of spot on.

Quote:

7. Astros: they suck but they're good. Let that marinate because I'm going to need you to believe me here. They are not the Astros you came to know and hate. The lineup is overwhelmingly mediocre without Yordan Alvarez. He's been out a month and his rehab was delayed, vaguely, this past weekend.

Here's the thing though: they're only 3 games back in a loaded AL West. Think of how good the Rangers have been. Then consider:

- Jose Abreu has a .352 slugging percentage.

- Altuve isn't playing and hasn't played much.

- Corey Julks is your every day LF. (Above average but you didn't even know that guy existed.)

- Urquidy and Garcia are toast

Some regression, generally across the board. Others have been outstanding like McCormick and Kyle Tucker without protection. I'm not saying they all suck.

It's just a sign of a great team to take such adversity in the lineup and pitching staff, yet still be this competitive. While many organizations grasp at relevancy year-to-year, the Astros simply cling to it. Until otherwise proven this October, they're the American League gold standard.
W
AG
checking in with the Mariners (46-46)...

Seattle's 10-game homestand continues after losing 2/3 to the Tigers.

the M's have 4 games with the Twins and then 3 against the Blue Jays

could be sellers at the deadline if they don't go on a hot streak this week
Ag_07
AG
Dipoto will always be looking to wheel and deal.

That dude likes making trades just to make them.

I don't believe he'll be able to swallow his pride and be a real seller like we think of but he will be making deals.
AustinCountyAg
Ciboag96 said:

Spoke to a Dusty apologist this morning who is adamant Dusty is sitting Chas because he is trying to get other players warmed up for the coming playoffs.

People really thing his Yatzee cup toss lineups are 14D chess strategic.
goal #1 is make the playoffs not rest players.
Sex Panther
AG
Farmer1906 said:

So we need Shohei to fix our image. I'm sold
First Page Last Page
Page 1117 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.