***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,547,339 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's why he's been so bad with guys on base. When the bases are empty, pitchers will try to pound more fastballs and get ahead in the count.
Johnsy3
AG
I agree, but would Dusty do that? I was trying to construct a dream lineup that Dusty *might* actually do
Wabs
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I agree, but would Dusty do that? I was trying to construct a dream lineup that Dusty *might* actually do
redline248
AG
What Dusty will and won't do with lineups is a fun game.
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

Leaders in wRC+ (min 200 PA to include Chas)

1. Judge - 187
2. Seager - 184
3. Ohtani - 179
4. Acuna Jr - 169
5. Alvarez - 166
14. McCormick - 146
22. Tucker - 138
120. Bregman - 108
135. Julks - 104
180. Meyers - 92
185. Dubon - 91
188. Pena - 90
237. Abreu - 77
261. Maldonado - 53

• Altuve (137 wRC+) & Diaz (108) didn't meet the 200 PA min.
  • I think Chas should play every day, no?
  • Abreu sucks but he's improving (46 in Mar/Apr, 55 May, 120 in Jun, & 103 in Jul)
  • Maldy is 3rd from last, ahead of Jurckson Profar & Keke Hernandez

Chas should absolutely play every day, he is looking like a top 5 offensive center fielder and we need to see if that's what he is. His BABIP is astronomical right now so we need to see how far he regresses
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

f1ghtintexasaggie
Get him to talk with Julks, who has looked so much better since becoming more patient.
texasaggie2015
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Get him to talk with Julks, who has looked so much better since becoming more patient.
Julks has actually starting to draw more walks as a result of his aggressiveness on pitches in the zone. I think the difference is Julks is much more patient. A lot of it probably has to do with being three years older.
f1ghtintexasaggie
texasaggie2015 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Julks has actually starting to draw more walks as a result of his aggressiveness on pitches in the zone. I think the difference is Julks is much more patient. A lot of it probably has to do with being three years older.

Agreed. The problem with Diaz right now is his aggressiveness regardless of pitch location. Doesn't even really matter if it's even a competitive pitch. He will free swing at chin-high FBs. Julks has become much more selective and patient with balls outside the zone.
texasaggie2015
AG
Gameday: Chihuahuas 2, Space Cowboys 4 Final Score (07/16/2023) (milb.com)

Spencer Arrighetti with a decent outing last night. 4.1 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, three walks, four strikeouts
tjack16
AG
In non-Astros related events: I'd love to see Ohtani pass what Judge did last year. That would be so funny given Yankees fans creamed themselves over that 62 last year
Ciboag96
Spoke to a Dusty apologist this morning who is adamant Dusty is sitting Chas because he is trying to get other players warmed up for the coming playoffs.

People really thing his Yatzee cup toss lineups are 14D chess strategic.
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

In non-Astros related events: I'd love to see Ohtani pass what Judge did last year. That would be so funny given Yankees fans creamed themselves over that 62 last year

The $64k question is would MLB give Ohtani the special balls?
TRM
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Agreed. The problem with Diaz right now is his aggressiveness regardless of pitch location. Doesn't even really matter if it's even a competitive pitch. He will free swing at chin-high FBs. Julks has become much more selective and patient with balls outside the zone.

Sounds like someone else we know...

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tjack16 said:

I fully support Ohtani setting any and every record in the books. He's a very likable players and a great ambassador of the game. I wish he was an Astro just so I could cheer for him as a players more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

tjack16 said:

I fully support Ohtani setting any and every record in the books. He's a very likable players and a great ambassador of the game. I wish he was an Astro just so I could cheer for him as a players more.
Are we gonna have to watch Ohtani bat in the middle of college football games this year?
Beat40
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

tjack16 said:

I mean, Tucker did pitch him at the All-Star game.
Farmer1906
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

I agree it is an issue. But it is also kind of wild that he's the 5th best catcher based on xwOBA & 9th best based on wOBA while being a free swinging lunatic.

I am comparing his #s vs quailed catchers in savant. Savant doesn't actually list him as a catcher.
Wabs
AG
Pretty good pitching matchup tonight, Arlingtons vs Rays: Dunning vs. McClanahan
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Pretty good pitching matchup tonight, Arlingtons vs Rays: Dunning vs. McClanahan

Dunning is up there with Bielak. They'll both be turning back into pumpkins soon.
f1ghtintexasaggie
I think that speaks to his raw talent. I'd imagine he would crush even more if he swung solely at pitches in the zone. (I mean, duh!, right?)
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm becoming more confident that the Astros are going to be aggressive the next couple weeks. I just keep hearing we're working the phones hard. I still think Meyers and/or Julks will 100% get moved. I won't rule out Chas being moved but I know the asking price is much higher than the other two.

I saw the report about Stroman. I'm not surprised we checked in, but I still believe that's a longshot as the asking price will be very high. The interest in Bellinger is 100% real.

I know it seems like we don't have the pieces to make big moves, but there's some intriguing prospects in the lower levels of the farm and guys like Meyers/Julks/France/Blanco with years remaining on their contracts are appealing to small market teams.

Will they make a "splash"? I doubt it. But I do believe they'll add a few pieces that will contribute in a big way down the stretch.
I'm going to be honest. I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if Julks is moved. I love grind it out guys and guys who take advantage of opportunities. Plus, I love rooting for a hometown guy.

That being said, it won't be too broken up about it if he's a part of a trade for a 2/3 starting pitcher
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Dunning is up there with Bielak. They'll both be turning back into pumpkins soon.
Good time as ever to start tonight.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

texasaggie2015 said:

f1ghtintexasaggie said:

I agree it is an issue. But it is also kind of wild that he's the 5th best catcher based on xwOBA & 9th best based on wOBA while being a free swinging lunatic.

I am comparing his #s vs quailed catchers in savant. Savant doesn't actually list him as a catcher.
The question for me is why is he free swinging? Is it because he's not recognizing big league spin?

When guys are on base, he gets a steady diet of off-speed and spin. He gets down in the count quickly, seems like he gets anxious, and swings at the first fastball he sees, which usually is up in the zone. Per baseball savant, of his 39 strikeouts this year, 13 are on fastballs up and above the zone. 12 of them are in 0-2 or 1-2 counts.

It makes me wonder his approach.
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm still bitter we blew a 3 run lead in the 9th to lose the sweep, but there is no denying this team has some real heart to be winning games with Altuve, Yordon, Pena all out. That doesn't even count guys like Brantly or LMJ.

I continue to believe we will add another championship IF we can just get healthy over the next 6 weeks.
tjack16
AG
This week before the two teams meet next week at MMP

Astros: 6 games against the Rockies and A's
Rangers: 6 games against the Rays and Dodgers

My prediction during this stretch
Astros 5-1
Rangers 3-3
Wabs
AG
Would REALLY like to have Yordan back for the Rangers series.....
FrioAg 00
AG
I'm predicting we come into the Rangers series tied.

And hell yes we need Yordon back
Prosperdick
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Not making any predictions as long as Donkey keeps filling out the lineup card.
CFTXAG10
AG
Lettuce pray that the Dusty switch flips between getting the regulars back and adding through trades. Maybe the lineup will normalize a bit. Maybe….
tjack16
AG
Prosperdick said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Not making any predictions as long as Donkey keeps filling out the lineup card.

"You know Yordan is fully healthy, but Madris needs some at bats too" - Dusty in a week
Wabs
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Lettuce pray that the Dusty switch flips between getting the regulars back and adding through trades. Maybe the lineup will normalize a bit. Maybe….
texasaggie2015
AG
I wonder what a Scott Barlow/Carlos Hernandez package would look like from Kansas City.
redline248
AG
Ok, let's examine the potential addition of Cody Bellinger. Question #1 is where would he play? Along that line is how much? Start most days or platoon?

He returned from injury on June 15 he's slashing .353/.394/.577, 5 HR and a 158 wRC+ in 94 PA. A little over half those games have been in CF, the others at 1B.

In that same, one Chas McCormick is slashing .361/.446/.639, 5 HR and a 201 wRC+ in 83 PA.

According to statcast they are similar in Outs Above Average (90 for Cody, 87 for Chas) and OF Jump (44 to 45), and Cody has better arm strength.

Should they both be in the OF at the same time, and occasionally slide Bellinger to 1B or DH to get Yordan some games in the OF?

First Page Last Page
Page 1116 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.