***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,552,367 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Boiling Denim
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

https://climbingtalshill.com/posts/facts-are-facts-the-astros-have-no-choice-but-to-make-yainer-diaz-the-primary-catcher-01h5fnzrrdte

I said before but it amazes me to think of all the players, talent and homegrown superstars this club has let go since 2015 and of all the people we're going to let Martin effing Maldonado hold this franchise hostage
Dies Irae
Farmer1906 said:

https://climbingtalshill.com/posts/facts-are-facts-the-astros-have-no-choice-but-to-make-yainer-diaz-the-primary-catcher-01h5fnzrrdte

Do you think the pitchers like Maldy enough to be the ones requesting that he catch for them?
RC_57
AG
Farmer1906 said:

From the article "But he's no longer a fantastic backstop. In fact, sad as it is to say, he's not really a passable one."

And "Maldy has the most passed balls in the MLB. Yainer Diaz has allowed zero."

I would say, based on that 2nd line from the article, that Maldy is "passable", if you know what I mean.
redline248
AG
Dies Irae said:

Farmer1906 said:

Do you think the pitchers like Maldy enough to be the ones requesting that he catch for them?
Not when he can't block pitches and hangs them with an L
redline248
AG
Should Dusty try Chas in the leadoff spot until Altuve returns? Since June 15 (I know, arbitrary date) Chas has 78 PA. He's slashing .338/.423/.544, and has a 10.3% walk rate.

Compared to Dubon, who in 84 PA is .244/.262/.354 with a 2.4% walk rate.

The one thing is Chas has an incredibly high .444 babip (Dubon's is .264).
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Should Dusty try Chas in the leadoff spot until Altuve returns? Since June 15 (I know, arbitrary date) Chas has 78 PA. He's slashing .338/.423/.544, and has a 10.3% walk rate.

Compared to Dubon, who in 84 PA is .244/.262/.354 with a 2.4% walk rate.

The one thing is Chas has an incredibly high .444 babip (Dubon's is .264).

I think there's some things that need to be shuffled in the lineup pre-Alvarez/Altuve return

Dubon at leadoff is fine but right now having Pena and Bregman in the top 4 isn't working for them.

I'd go with this lineup both games in Colorado and see if it works.

Dubon
Chas
Tucker
Abreu
Bregman
Diaz
Pena
Julks
Maldonado
Dies Irae
Doesn't Peña love the 2 hole?
redline248
AG
Dies Irae said:

He has pretty good stats there, but he also has good stats batting 8th.

Surprisingly, I think Julks would also be a viable leadoff candidate with the way he's drawing walks lately.
Dies Irae
redline248 said:

Dies Irae said:

He has pretty good stats there, but he also has good stats batting 8th.

Surprisingly, I think Julks would also be a viable leadoff candidate with the way he's drawing walks lately.

I have a lot to catch up on, was in the Middle East for 2 weeks, Julks is drawing walks now?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

No extra bonus money required.

Huezo (12th round pick) is the draftee that will likely require some of the bonus money, right? He was a top 200ish HS player.
Big Al 1992
AG
Farmer1906 said:

A good and devastating analysis. And I have to believe Dana knows all of this. Last night PB was just confirmation and no one wants to look back on that play if we finish a game behind the Rangers.
Jet Black
When are the paper cut boys coming back?
TRM
AG
linkdude
AG
redline248
AG
So Pena out, probably with a sore hammy, which means Kessinger (or Hensley) has to come in. So, let's keep Maldy behind the plate, and put in Meyers instead of Julks. At least Diaz is in there, but still

Lineup time is my favorite time
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
I hoped they would have tried to call up a pitcher for reinforcements who could give them some length. Guess not
linkdude
AG
Both Blanco and Dubin pitched in the last two days, so nobody that can realistically be called up.
Post removed:
by user
W
AG
Dusty's Sunday lineups are the worst
Mathguy64
AG
Make the game losing error on a routine 4-6-3?

Hey kid no biggie here is your start tomorrow!
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude said:

Both Blanco and Dubin pitched in the last two days, so nobody that can realistically be called up.
Mushinski or Gage? I'm not talking about starter length, just an insurance policy so we can get at least 3-4 out of Montero+Martinez if Javier goes south again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Make the game losing error on a routine 4-6-3?

Hey kid no biggie here is your start tomorrow!
Gotta build that confidence </dusty>
Farmer1906
AG
The outfield corners are very large. Javier is a fly ball pitcher. I think having our best defensive OF is what Dusty is going for today.
Ag_07
AG
I'm assuming Pena isn't playing because of the hammy and if that's the case who else can play SS?

And I'm also guessing the due to Javier being a fly ball pitcher he opted for the better defensive OF of Meyers and Chas.

But it should be Diaz at C and Julks at DH but you know Maldy is the prodigal son who does no wrong.
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude
AG
Baez got two doubles and a walk in history first game stateside.
tjack16
AG
Any update on Yordan? Still sick?
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

The outfield corners are very large. Javier is a fly ball pitcher. I think having our best defensive OF is what Dusty is going for today.
That's fair. He could still put Diaz at C and Julks at DH
Mathguy64
AG
redline248 said:

Farmer1906 said:

That's fair. He could still put Diaz at C and Julks at DH

He will use Julks to PH late for Maldy and have to put Diaz there and lose the DH. It's Dusty's genius level move.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

Any update on Yordan? Still sick?

Last I saw they said yesterday he was feeling better and worked out in Houston
CFTXAG10
AG
W
AG
more likely Hunter Renfroe
Farmer1906
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

More like Matt Moore. Someone we should have signed in the offseason. Now it's going to cost of a prospect. He's a rental who has been very good from the left side. And he's fresh because he spent a long time on the IL with an oblique strain. He'll fit in nicely.
First Page Last Page
Page 1090 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.