***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,557,242 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Think JV is wishing he'd gone somewhere else (not saying here)?
I know he got a LOT more money signing there but what's his family's net worth, $600 million, at least? I hate to rehash this again but when you have **** you money you can go where you'll be happy, even for less money.

Maybe he thought Kate would be happier in New York, if so, good for him but I guarantee he's not having fun right now playing the game he loves, with a "new perspective." I wonder after the clown show that is the Mets organization he has an even newer perspective.

JV is all about legacy, it was obvious when he threw his 3rd no no because he talked about all the pitchers who had 2 no hitters and he wanted to be with elite company getting his third one. Speaking of legacy, becoming the last Major League pitcher to win 300 games is a lasting legacy...oops, kiss that one goodbye as well as some other accolades if he continues with the Mets.

I know, let it go...blah blah blah. Who knows, maybe we can get JV back where he belongs, in a Houston jersey.
BTKAG97
AG
Marvin said:

linkdude said:

so this, uh, isn't great logic...

Dumbest manager in baseball. Absolutely nothing he said makes any sense.
His reasoning is loser mentality. His management style during a game is conpletely cliche. He doesn't "Play to win, it's to avoid losing". "What if they tie the game" fits thus cliche to a tee.
McInnis
AG
Quote:

JV is all about legacy, it was obvious when he threw his 3rd no no because he talked about all the pitchers who had 2 no hitters and he wanted to be with elite company getting his third.
Sure that's what he said but you know it was really about not wanting to be lumped together with Mike Fiers forever.
All I do is Nguyen
I wouldn't be mad at a trade for Snell. Just wonder how much it'll take
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Ryan Pressly's last 12 games
0.00 ERA
1.94 FIP
9 saves
1 win
14 K

Elite

He is.

Should've been the 2022 WS MVP too if we're being honest.
All I do is Nguyen
Given his post season performances do we even want him? He's almost a guaranteed loss in the playoffs, especially the World Series
No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

I wouldn't be mad at a trade for Snell. Just wonder how much it'll take

I read somewhere he's been giving up a lot of walks this year
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Meh. Kulpa missed way worse than that.

I love Abreu's reaction. He was walking to the dugout.
Big Al 1992
AG
He actually reminded me of Maddux last night - he saw how wide the ump strike zone was and kept hitting that spot. TK and Blum said he was getting a couple generous calls - and he was - but he was also targeting that spot and nailing it.
Mathguy64
AG

He only missed 17 calls. Only.
W
AG
yep, he was bad behind the plate
texasaggie2015
AG

This is huge. Baez has tremendous upside and the organization is very excited about what he could be.
Harry Dunne
Big Al 1992 said:

He actually reminded me of Maddux last night - he saw how wide the ump strike zone was and kept hitting that spot. TK and Blum said he was getting a couple generous calls - and he was - but he was also targeting that spot and nailing it.
Good post - exactly right.

Yes, the umps suck but they're the umps we've got, so you've got to take what they're giving you. It was a masterclass in pitching to a generous zone.
Farmer1906
AG
Say goodbye to his trade value.

Farmer1906
AG
That is some serious mental gymnastics.

Farmer1906
AG
Chas did it better.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
What a bunch of whiny poosays
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

That is some serious mental gymnastics.

They would forgive absolutely anyone from 2017 who helped them be better. Altuve, Correa…even Marwin if he was still good.

Just like we would Bellinger. All of your haters on here would find a way to justify it if you came in and mashed.

At the end of the day, none of these guys are criminals. They at the very worst made some entry-level bad ethical decisions or said some dumb stuff, but nothing worse than any steroid or spider tack user…and not even anywhere close to all of the woman-abusers and drunk drivers and so on that are actual criminals, and still embraced.
redline248
AG
As a pitcher, you want the calls, and yes 1 of these is technically a strike. As a batter, I would be pissed off at every single one of these being called strikes...even the 1 that just touches the line. I also wouldn't be a fan of that low inside one either, but probably live what it a little more unless it was called strike 3.

Deluxe
AG
  • Stealing signs while on base? Ok
  • Base coaches stealing signs? Ok
  • Bench coaches stealing signs? Ok
  • Stealing signs on video before the game? Ok
  • Base coaches relaying stolen signs during a game? Ok
  • Base runners relaying stolen signs during a game? Ok
  • Using high tech video to identify tips? Ok
  • Relaying tips from high tech video to live batter? Ok
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video? Illegal but no one cares
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video, then telling them to a base runner who relays to a hitter? Illegal but no one cares.
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video, then telling them to a base coach who relays to a hitter? Illegal but no one cares.
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video, then directly relaying them to a hitter using a noise? The absolute worst thing you can ever do. Cheaters in every sense of the word. Despicable. Scum. Worse than the 1919 Black Sox.
redline248
AG
That baserunner is an idiot
W
AG
how many players on the 2023 Dodgers were on the 2017 Dodgers?

just silly to be talking about this 6 years later

the story should be how the Dodgers underachieve in the playoffs every year
Mathguy64
AG
The two biggest things deciding the 2017 WS.

1. Yu was tipping and everyone stepping in the box knew it. The Dodgers not only ignored it but refused to fix it for Game 7.
2. Dave Roberts overused his pen. He used Fields every game and by game 5 he was toast both in terms of being overused and overexposed.

Of course no one with the Dodgers wants to admit either of these.
Harry Dunne
Deluxe said:

• Stealing signs while on base? Ok
  • Base coaches stealing signs? Ok
  • Bench coaches stealing signs? Ok
  • Stealing signs on video before the game? Ok
  • Base coaches relaying a stolen signs during a game? Ok
  • Base runners relaying stolen signs during a game? Ok
  • Using high tech video to identify tips? Ok
  • Relaying tips from high tech video to live batter? Ok
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video? Illegal but no one cares
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video, then telling them to a base runner who relays to a hitter? Illegal but no one cares.
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video, then telling them to a base coach who relays to a hitter? Illegal but no one cares.
  • Stealing signs during the game via live video, then directly relaying them to a hitter using a noise? The absolute worst thing you can ever do. Cheaters in every sense of the word. Despicable. Scum. Worse than the 1919 Black Sox.

It's even funnier when you spell it out like this.

One thing I have learned in my now longish life is that most people are constantly moving the morality goalposts to suit their own purposes and that the most vocal finger-pointers are typically also the most vile humans themselves...and not that I'm well-suited to write the book, but I do firmly believe that one of the secrets to a happy life is absolutely not GingAF about the lowest form of human knowledge - opinions, especially those of people that don't really know you.
Mathguy64
AG
W said:

how many players on the 2023 Dodgers were on the 2017 Dodgers?

just silly to be talking about this 6 years later

the story should be how the Dodgers underachieve in the playoffs every year
I think 3.

Kersher, Taylor and Barnes.
Deluxe
AG
Yep, the line between "who cares" and "the worst thing you can ever do" is unbelievably thin and it's inevitably drawn by media/stakeholders in NY and LA.

It would be interesting to play out an alternate universe where we beat the Twins in the ALCS and Pirates in the WS in 2017.
MaxPower
I would not be shocked if we pursue JV in a reunion. The negative for acquiring him (age, contract) are the exact reasons he wouldn't require much in return. The Mets may be perfectly content just to shed the contract to free up room for their next idiotic decision. They have already paid over $20M of his salary and by 7/31 he will be closer to $13-14M remaining for this year. Not cheap but you are getting it for the most important time of the year. In many ways it's a similar fact pattern to when we originally acquired him.
Hulla Baller
AG
MaxPower said:

I would not be shocked if we pursue JV in a reunion. The negative for acquiring him (age, contract) are the exact reasons he wouldn't require much in return. The Mets may be perfectly content just to shed the contract to free up room for their next idiotic decision. They have already paid over $20M of his salary and by 7/31 he will be closer to $13-14M remaining for this year. Not cheap but you are getting it for the most important time of the year. In many ways it's a similar fact pattern to when we originally acquired him.

Sign me up
astros4545
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The two biggest things deciding the 2017 WS.

1. Yu was tipping and everyone stepping in the box knew it. The Dodgers not only ignored it but refused to fix it for Game 7.
2. Dave Roberts overused his pen. He used Fields every game and by game 5 he was toast both in terms of being overused and overexposed.

Of course no one with the Dodgers wants to admit either of these.

Jonathan Broxton
W
AG
the killer with JV is the vesting option for 2025

would hate to be paying him $35 MM (at age 42) --- in year 1 of the Altuve & Bregman new contracts / extensions
linkdude
AG
I think it was Brandon Morrow that he used in every game. Dude was never the same after that postseason as I recall.
Big Al 1992
AG
Whatever in the world will Dusty do with his lineup today - he has 3 huge offensive weapons in Madris .136, Hensley .125, and Maldy .169
How can he fit them all in the same lineup? That's the genius of Dusty - he will find a way.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

if the Mets agree to cover 67% then I consider it.
First Page Last Page
Page 1066 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.