***** 2023 Houston Astros Season Thread *****

6,557,703 Views | 114825 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by texasaggie2015
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
linkdude said:

so this, uh, isn't great logic...

Dumbest manager in baseball. Absolutely nothing he said makes any sense.
Mr.Bond
AG
Marvin said:

linkdude said:

Hes the joe biden of managers..... just go spend time with your family man.
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ag_07
AG
Heard an interesting conversation with an Astros hitting coaches (sorry Marvin...not Cintron) on 790 on the pregame yesterday.

The interesting part was regarding Julks and the walks he's now drawing. He said they explained to him that drawing more walks isn't about taking more pitches but actually being more aggressive. Him being more aggressive in the zone specifically FBs will and has resulted in him getting more off speed pitches out of the zone which has resulted in more walks. So it's just simply watching more pitches.

Just thought it was interesting to hear that since it's kinda counter intuitive to what we all think.

We got smart dudes in our dugout.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's often called "scaring a pitcher out of the zone" and it's something the Astros have done a good job of in the past.
MaxPower
Makes sense. The odd thing is this is a basic idea. If that's our org philosophy then why aren't hitting coaches at lower levels pushing this so it isn't some mind blowing concept at the big league level? Maybe it doesn't work in the minors where pitchers are trying to develop certain pitches?
Beat40
MaxPower said:

Makes sense. The odd thing is this is a basic idea. If that's our org philosophy then why aren't hitting coaches at lower levels pushing this so it isn't some mind blowing concept at the big league level? Maybe it doesn't work in the minors where pitchers are trying to develop certain pitches?

I'm genuinely asking this - the Astros aren't aligned through the entire organization?

I thought that was one of the things the Astros were known for preparing guys in the minors with the same analytics the big club uses so when they get there, they aren't overwhelmed. I feel it's a big contributor to the Astros plug and play nature these past few years.
Ag_07
AG
Man some you guys sure can ruin anything.

I was just mentioning an interesting conversation I heard and thought it was good insight and a good example of what happens BTS.

Now it's flipped to 'Our organization isn't aligned and this isn't being taught across the system? WTF?'.
CFTXAG10
AG
They tinkered a lot with Corey early on. Some AB's Dusty was telling him to swing no matter what and applauding him for doing so even if he struck out. I'm sure there's a method to the madness but it's nice to see him drawing more walks lately
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Think JV is wishing he'd gone somewhere else (not saying here)?
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Think JV is wishing he'd gone somewhere else (not saying here)?
Maybe. He has millions of reasons to not care, though.

That's a lot of walks for him, isn't it?
redline248
AG
Lol, the Mets also had 1 hit so I hope the fans booed the rest of the team.
cc10106
CFTXAG10 said:

They tinkered a lot with Corey early on. Some AB's Dusty was telling him to swing no matter what and applauding him for doing so even if he struck out. I'm sure there's a method to the madness but it's nice to see him drawing more walks lately

Yeah Dusty didn't seem too keen on Julks walking recently. Corey has stepped up well in his first season and shown a lot maturity for a rookie albeit an older one.
W
AG
JV has been better in the last month

season ERA is 3.72 which is not bad

ultimately though...the Mets are only 5-8 in JV's 13 starts
W
AG
by the way...Ohtani's ERA is 3.50

on track for the worst pitching season of his career
texasaggie2015
AG
From what I've heard the Astros have at least inquired about both of the big name Mets pitchers (JV and Max). No idea on the actual level of interest though. Absolutely could just be a product of Dana Brown gauging the market.
Eso si, Que es
Be funny if Mets ate a part of JV's salary, I know they wouldn't, just be the most 2023 Mets thing ever. And it would make that fat f/cking fan have a heart attack right where he stood
tjack16
AG
Btw… gold jerseys are currently $75 at the team store until they run out of them

I just ordered one over the phone and it was $15 shipping, so $90 total
McInnis
AG
Marvin said:

linkdude said:

Wait, I don't want to jump the gun here, but did he just acknowledge that Maldy's hitting is so poor that he might need to be pinch hit for? Maybe a shred of sense?

But seriously, if that's what he's thinking then get Salazar back to Houston ASAP.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

Be funny if Mets ate a part of JV's salary, I know they wouldn't, just be the most 2023 Mets thing ever. And it would make that fat f/cking fan have a heart attack right where he stood

The Mets would have to eat a large part of JV's salary. I don't think anyone was close to paying JV what he got. And that was when he was the Cy Young. Now he's older and looks like lesser version.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
McInnis said:

Marvin said:

linkdude said:

Wait, I don't want to jump the gun here, but did he just acknowledge that Maldy's hitting is so poor that he might need to be pinch hit for? Maybe a shred of sense?

But seriously, if that's what he's thinking then get Salazar back to Houston ASAP.

Seriously. Who knew Grae Kessinger was still on the roster
BCEDAg
AG
When Dusty puts Madris in the lineup and then decides to pinch hit Hensley, it makes me think he's following orders from the front office to give them at bats to hopefully increase their trade value. If that's what's happening it's backfiring. But i bet Dusty is just being Dusty making those decisions.
Ag_07
AG
Eso si, Que es said:

If they wanna move him they're gonna have to.

No one is gonna take on that salary.
Farmer1906
AG
Today's hot take. After we do our OF fire sale and send out Julks & Meyers/McCormick, we're going to go nab Eloy Jimenez. Eloy/Yordan DH/LF combo is going to crush baseballs.
Farmer1906
AG
Ryan Pressly's last 12 games
0.00 ERA
1.94 FIP
9 saves
1 win
14 K

Elite
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

Btw… gold jerseys are currently $75 at the team store until they run out of them

Good looking out. Tried to order a Valdez and Alvarez but they were out of the hurricane. Still got Alvarez.
Ag_07
AG
Ever since he said he and everyone else was tired of him blowing games he's buckled down.

Pressly has the ability to flip the switch and it's a beautiful thing when he decides it's go time.
jetch17
AG
tjack16 said:

Nice, may swing by. Have been wanting a plain no player named gold edition
redline248
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

McInnis said:

Marvin said:

linkdude said:

Seriously. Who knew Grae Kessinger was still on the roster
Madris: 3-22, .390 OPS
Salazar: 2-18, .269 OPS
Kessinger: 3-15, .768 OPS

I know they are all incredibly small samples...but even Kessinger is probably a better option.

Dusty don't care, though
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.mlb.com/news/potential-2023-trade-candidates-with-rising-stock?partnerID=web_article-share

Quote:

Blake Snell, LHP, Padres
Since he allowed six earned runs in four innings against the Red Sox on May 19, Snell has arguably been the best pitcher in the game, going 5-1 with a 0.68 ERA over his past nine starts. Snell -- who is earning $16 million this season, the final year of his five-year, $50 million deal -- has allowed just four earned runs over 53 innings during that stretch, striking out 84 batters while holding hitters to a .155 batting average and .458 OPS. San Diego could go either way at the Trade Deadline, but if the Padres sell, Snell will become a hot commodity.

Potential fits: Astros, Rangers, Red Sox
Marvin
AG
Ag_07 said:

Man some you guys sure can ruin anything.

I was just mentioning an interesting conversation I heard and thought it was good insight and a good example of what happens BTS.

Now it's flipped to 'Our organization isn't aligned and this isn't being taught across the system? WTF?'.

Shocking that I was the quiet one!
Farmer1906
AG
Bregxit said:

W said:

by the way...Ohtani's ERA is 3.50

on track for the worst pitching season of his career
Take his three starts against the Astros out and he has a 3.09 ERA.

18IP 11ER vs the good guys for a 5.50 ERA.

Only the As & Mariners have seen him more than once (twice each) besides us.

Only the Padres, Cards, & Os have been more successful against him this season.

Ohtani has feasted on Red Sox, Royals, Nats, White Sox, & Dodgers.
W
AG
Snell is on the mound today vs. the Phillies...in about an hour
First Page Last Page
Page 1065 of 3281

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.